Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Tipping: Don't do what I did.

Search this Thread

Old Aug 17, 2019, 5:13 pm

Programs: DYKWIA, But I'm a "Diamond Guest" UA 1K/2MM
Originally Posted by Brendan
"A tip of 50c per person per night will insure that you get great service!"...
A note like that is effectively blackmail and would "insure" that I would tip 0.

BTW, a few years ago, I learned at the Sheraton in San Diego, that the housekeeping manager made a sweep of all the rooms before anyone cleaned them. Whether she kept all of the tips was not clear. But I subsequently heard that this is common practice. So I always try to spot my actual cleaner and tip him/her directly rather than leaving anything in the room
Brendan likes this.

Last edited by porciuscato; Aug 17, 2019 at 8:58 pm
Old Aug 17, 2019, 6:02 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: DREAD Gold; UA 1.035MM; Bonvoy Au-197; PCC Elite+; CCC Elite+; MSC C-12; CWC Au-197; WoH Dis
Originally Posted by Enigma368
Cash is on the way out.
Sorry, but just like the promise of a paperless office, it'll never happen. People have been foretelling its disappearance for decades. Cash will outlive all other forms of currency because it's purely about control, and no government will ever give up that kind of control.
Old Aug 17, 2019, 6:51 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LT PLT; QR GLD; Bonvoy LT TIT
Originally Posted by Brendan
... a card was placed in our hotel room saying, "A tip of 50c per person per night will insure that you get great service!"
I've seen these, and always found them offensive. What kind of service do I get if I don't tip? What if I tip all the last night instead of two quarters daily, am I supposed to let Housekeeping staff know that that is my plan? And the one you cited is even more offensive. The word they wanted is ensure, not insure, unless the hotel views that 50¢ as the premium for an insurance policy against poor service from Housekeeping!
Old Aug 18, 2019, 5:52 am

people who get offended by tipping suggestions are what my granny called "telling on yourself"
Jiatong and steveholt like this.
Old Aug 18, 2019, 7:12 am

Programs: DYKWIA, But I'm a "Diamond Guest" UA 1K/2MM
Originally Posted by WillBarrett_68
people who get offended by tipping suggestions are what my granny called "telling on yourself"
Quatsch. Normally, a tip is a gratuity -- i.e. gratuitously given.

When someone says that service is contingent on a tip, the tip is not a gratuity, it's a salary. I happily pay gratuities. It is the businesses' responsibility to pay salaries.
wharvey and Brendan like this.
Old Aug 18, 2019, 3:26 pm

Programs: AA Gold 1MM, AS MVP, UA Silver, WN A-List, Marriott LT Titanium, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by Dr. HFH
What kind of service do I get if I don't tip?
The way that's worded, it sounds like they send union muscle to your door if necessary to help adjust your opinion about tipping.
Old Aug 18, 2019, 8:48 pm
Hilton Contributor BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Bonvoy LT Plat, Hilton Gold, GHA Tit, BA Gold, Turkish Elite
Originally Posted by WillBarrett_68
I'm guessing your granny wasn't a world traveller?
Old Aug 18, 2019, 9:44 pm

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by porciuscato
Quatsch. Normally, a tip is a gratuity -- i.e. gratuitously given.

When someone says that service is contingent on a tip, the tip is not a gratuity, it's a salary. I happily pay gratuities. It is the businesses' responsibility to pay salaries.
No, it's extortion and not a salary.
porciuscato likes this.
Old Aug 19, 2019, 4:45 am

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Titanium
The best way to avoid tipping is by avoiding holidays to the USA. But of course many of you can’t avoid that if you live / do business there. The whole tipping culture does put me off returning though.
Old Aug 19, 2019, 7:17 am

Programs: UA Silver, Marriott Platinum/LT Platinum, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by yorkboy24
The best way to avoid tipping is by avoiding holidays to the USA. But of course many of you can’t avoid that if you live / do business there. The whole tipping culture does put me off returning though.
And a great number of other countries. You'd also have to avoid Mexico, Canada, and most other countries in the area. And some others around the world. Asia and Australia seem the be the areas to go to avoid it all together.

I agree with you that the "tipping culture", where expectations have been built, is annoying though.
Brendan likes this.
Old Aug 19, 2019, 7:21 am

Originally Posted by EuropeanPete
I'm guessing your granny wasn't a world traveller?
I'm guessing you're not a native english speaker? The post mentioned a phrase granny used, not the context in which she used it.
Old Aug 19, 2019, 7:26 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor Badge

Programs: BA, VS, HH, IHG, MB, MR
Originally Posted by mahasamatman
Sorry, but just like the promise of a paperless office, it'll never happen. People have been foretelling its disappearance for decades. Cash will outlive all other forms of currency because it's purely about control, and no government will ever give up that kind of control.
Eh?

In Sweden cash is almost extinct. Even beggers have card machines (really). People are fighting to retain cash because it DOESN'T give the Government control. In Sweden the Government can see every single thing you spent, because you paid for all of it on a card.

'No cash' is also becoming more common in London now, although certainly not yet mainstream.

Now that the US has contactless payment cards, cash is effectively over. The contactless card is the trigger. I saw it in Sweden and I see it coming slowly in London.
Brendan likes this.
Old Aug 19, 2019, 10:38 am

Programs: Avis Pref+, Hyatt Explorist, Marriott Life Gold, Honors Silver, IHG Plat via MC.
Arrow

WillBarrett68, I feel like tipping more if the room is a free award because I'm thankful for the hotel company's generosity, so I feel like sharing a little.
Dr HFH, that note was from 35 years ago, so 'insure' vs. 'ensure' vs. another synonym is my fuzzy memory.
Old Aug 19, 2019, 4:02 pm

Programs: BAEC - back to lowly blue. Marriott - Lifetime Platinum
Does valet parking pool tips? We are in the habit of tipping once at the end of our stay (larger amount) rather than tipping each individual every time. I'd hate to think they weren't sharing and we don't always have single bills or a 5 to tip every person.
Old Aug 19, 2019, 4:09 pm

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by JayeJ
Does valet parking pool tips? We are in the habit of tipping once at the end of our stay (larger amount) rather than tipping each individual every time. I'd hate to think they weren't sharing and we don't always have single bills or a 5 to tip every person.
I tip every time the car is returned to me, but not when I hand over the car.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.