Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Protea Cape Town Waterfront Breakwater Lodge - South Africa [Master Thread]

Old Dec 19, 2022, 2:03 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: margarita girl
Hotel email: [email protected]
Print Wikipost

Old Oct 13, 2016, 12:15 pm
Original Poster

Programs: All Accor Plat, 1865 Voyager, AE E35K, HH Gold,Hyatt, Hrtz Gold, Marriott Gold, NEXUS

What about the Protea Hotel Breakwater Lodge? It looks to be in the V&A area. How is it?
Old Oct 13, 2016, 12:25 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by allbrosca
What about the Protea Hotel Breakwater Lodge? It looks to be in the V&A area. How is it?
It is not directly at the waterfront like Radisson Blu waterfront, or like the Radisson Blu Le Vendome at Sea Point on a side street with 1 min walk to the waterfront.

The Protea is much further inside and quite a trek - also needs to cross the Dock Road which can be busy at times. It is also far away from the shopping and entertainment area of V&A on the other end of it. It used to be a prison compound and now a university is located there. You want to read the TripAdvisor reviews and make your room choices carefully. The non-rennovated rooms can be dreadful and very basic like a dorm room, for example.

I would pick other Protea locations instead of this one unless you can guarantee the room type you want.
Old Feb 14, 2017, 11:32 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by mrstraveler
The Radisson Blu Waterfront was actually our first choice, unfortunately it is not currently available during our prospective dates.
It is also much more expensive if you can book Marriott's with points.

When we stayed there on both trips, it was at 50K and 2-4-1. We made speculative booking in 2015 for 4 days in 2016, over 18 months away. Then we worked our 2nd trip around those speculative bookings as it was too good to waste them.
Now it is 70K and no more 2-4-1 when Club Carlson devalued its program 2 years ago.

I think you would do well at Protea Castle or North Wharf.

Breakwater is even closer to V&A but it is very tricky to get the right room at Breakwater due to it used to be a prison with 3 distinctive buildings. Now the site is shared with a university. You need to really read Trip Advisor to figure out to avoid which building - it is just way too much work for me especially with a point booking.
Old Sep 23, 2017, 10:40 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UALifetimePremierGold, Marriott LifetimeTitanium
Protea Hotel Cape Town Waterfront Breakwater Lodge - South Africa

With kcaluwae's permission, I'm posting his short review in this, the property thread, as it's a recent stay. He has silver status. Am creating the property thread to make it easier for FTers to find info when using search.

"Protea Cape Town Breakwater Lodge : Our number one when it comes to service. We're welcomed as elites and received some snacks, an appletizer and a pen with USB stick. Were upgraded to a business suite room. Received a call from the reception to check up on us asking if we needed anything extra. Hotel location is the best out of the 4 Protea's near the V&A waterfront. Easy to walk and completely safe. Had dinner in the restaurant. Choice of buffet or la carte. We both opted for a pizza which was OK. Can certainly recommend this hotel. First night was on points, second night on points+cash."
Old Nov 10, 2018, 6:35 am
NoY

Programs: SQ, EY, QR, BA, ITA, Hilton Diamond, IHG Plat, Amex Plat, Marriott
Any recent stays here? Particularly interested in Platinum experiences. Also, Breakfast is comp for Plats at Protea now isn't it? Thanks!
Old Nov 12, 2018, 5:57 am
NoY

Originally Posted by NoY
Any recent stays here? Particularly interested in Platinum experiences. Also, Breakfast is comp for Plats at Protea now isn't it? Thanks!
Anyone? Thanks
Old Nov 12, 2018, 10:43 am

Programs: MR Platinum, Aer Lingus GC, BA Bronze, Turkish Classic Plus
Originally Posted by NoY
Anyone? Thanks
Not a recent stay, just a tip based on my pre merger experience: assuming layout of hotel is the same, I would avoid the rooms above the university.. We originally booked a family room and they are across in the campus - pretty much a dorm room/prison cell with two tiny bedrooms and a bathroom in the middle. We ended up moving rooms and had an exec room in the main building which was a world away from our original accommodation.
Old Nov 12, 2018, 8:49 pm
NoY

Originally Posted by ellie_nz
Not a recent stay, just a tip based on my pre merger experience: assuming layout of hotel is the same, I would avoid the rooms above the university.. We originally booked a family room and they are across in the campus - pretty much a dorm room/prison cell with two tiny bedrooms and a bathroom in the middle. We ended up moving rooms and had an exec room in the main building which was a world away from our original accommodation.
Appreciate the input ^

Anyone else?
Old Dec 2, 2018, 11:38 pm
NoY

Originally Posted by NoY
Appreciate the input ^

Anyone else?
I am now able to answer my own question. Stayed here for a quick overnighter after arriving from Dubai. I used a MR free night cert (that was burning a hole in my pocket) & was pre-upgraded from a standard Queen to a Deluxe King. Upon checkin was upgraded further to The Dock Suite - essentially a large open plan corner room with a large sofa & a TV/desk diving the space from the bed. There was an adjoining bathroom which had a shower (no bath). The room was very comfortable/clean & appeared very recently fully refurbished as everything was new & fresh. WiFi was fast & free. Breakfast was free for the two of us & was OK - small spread/good ingredients & cooked to order eggs. The room welcome gifts were generous - Coffee Liqueurs/chocolate brownies & cookies. Excellent MR recognition. A perfect location just a 5 minute stroll to the Waterfront & a nice dinner.
os_flyer likes this.
Old Jan 2, 2019, 3:58 pm

Programs: Marriott Platinum Premiere Elite
Thanks NoY for the update, planing on staying there in March as a Platinum. Sounds good so far.
Old May 26, 2019, 12:56 pm

Will be staying here over New Years and have booked a larger room with points. The issue is it says 1 double bed. I would like to see if I can upgrade or pay more for a room with a king bed.

Does anyone know a contact email for this hotel? I am having trouble locating one-
Old Dec 17, 2022, 9:10 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, AC MM E75, Marriott LT Ti, IHG Da Amb, Hyatt Glob
Lurkers, do you have an email address for this property?
Old Feb 5, 2024, 8:57 am
NoY

My first stay since my previous post in 2018. Yikes, what a downturn. Arrived to manual checkin as IT system was down. Resolved reasonably quickly via staff unlocking the room for us until IT problem resolved. Had booked the same category that I was upgraded to last time. King Corner Junior Suite.

Boy things have taken a turn for the worse. Rugs hadn't been adequately vacuumed & we found a rather grubby bathroom. Kettle & coffee maker was full of the last occupants water. Not good enough.

Housekeeping came to resolve matters quickly but we didn't feel enough was done as there was too much ingrained grubbiness so requested a deep clean of the bathroom the next morning whilst we were out. This was done & it felt much better upon our return.

Management sent a cheese platter/wine/soda as an apology but the damage was done & we didn't feel like spending time in the room "enjoying" F&B)

Frankly the place feels very tired now & it's only redeeming factor is its stellar location to the V&A Waterfront.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.