Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Courtyard Siem Reap Resort [Master Thread]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Feb 15, 2020, 7:48 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: margarita girl
Hotel email: [email protected]
Print Wikipost

Courtyard Siem Reap Resort [Master Thread]

Search this Thread

Old Jan 19, 2018, 10:39 am
dfe
In memoriam

Programs: UA 1K/MM; *A Gold Life; CX Gold; Marriott Platinum LT; SPG Plat; HHonors Diamond
Straying Off Topic

The LM Siem Reap has no lounge. Plats (not sure about Gold) are offered comp drinks and limited snacks in the bar during happy hour.
CJKatl and Hyacinthe like this.
Old Jan 19, 2018, 11:28 am

Programs: DL:MM, Marriott:LTT
Originally Posted by dfe
The LM Siem Reap has no lounge. Plats (not sure about Gold) are offered comp drinks and limited snacks in the bar during happy hour.
I thought maybe it was just me that wasn't offered access. The breakfast was comped, though, and I still got the welcome points. The breakfast was nice, typical huge. IIRC, isn't there an elite wing of the hotel where the rooms are a little quieter. IIRC, the rooms or wing were clearly marked as being just for elites.

As for the tuk-tuk, the hotel arranged for one that waited for me at places and took me multiple places. It was cheap and I may have been able to get even less expensive rides, but who wants to waste time over $2? I hate getting ripped off and knew I was paying extra but didn't feel ripped off, if that makes sense. My drivers (car and tuk-tuk) were each awesome.
Old Jan 19, 2018, 6:25 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Some of this 'n some of that
Originally Posted by Fizzer
I was aware we could get it or cheaper but $1 to me and $1 to a driver in a third world country has a different value. I'm not going to argue.The initial price asked was $2 if you got one on the street but $3 if you used the ones the hotel called. Really not worth haggling over IMHO.

Riiiiigggghhhht. And when I go into a 7-11 on Long Island and they ask $3 for an item priced at $2 I'll just accept it.... because.
Old Jan 19, 2018, 7:32 pm
Suspended

Programs: HH-D; MR-P/LTP; SPG-P
Apples and oranges - one is a product while the other is a service. Further, one has a stated sticker price vrs negotiating for an unstated price.

QUOTE=dsquared37;29314917] And when I go into a 7-11 on Long Island and they ask $3 for an item priced at $2 I'll just accept it.... .[/QUOTE]
Fizzer likes this.
Old Jan 21, 2018, 9:25 am

Programs: Nexus/GE, UA/MPG, Bonvoy Tit, LTP
Originally Posted by dsquared37
Riiiiigggghhhht. And when I go into a 7-11 on Long Island and they ask $3 for an item priced at $2 I'll just accept it.... because.
Not at all but when I am on vacation I am not going to waste my time haggling over a single dollar. Plus the hotel concierge advised it should be $2- 3 so I'm definitely not going to haggle over $3.
Old Jan 21, 2018, 12:41 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Fizzer
Not at all but when I am on vacation I am not going to waste my time haggling over a single dollar. Plus the hotel concierge advised it should be $2- 3 so I'm definitely not going to haggle over $3.
No time wasted necessary. After the all the concierge advised you the likely cost and you decided to go with the higher one. Again, next time you're at home and go to a local convenience store please pay more than the cost.

What did PT Barnum say about a sucker and his money?

Cambodia tuk tuk etiquette:

1. State your destination.
2. Get in tuk tuk
3. Pay tuk tuk
-- notice nowhere was there a mention of negotiating or otherwise discussing price?

This is how locals do it. If you know the cost there is NO REASON to haggle. By paying more than the stated cost you help to artificially raise the expectations of said drivers and that makes things more difficult for expats because they see every foreigner as an overpaying dolt.
Old Jan 21, 2018, 1:22 pm
Suspended

Think I’ll start unilaterally paying local tuk tuks $4 as that extra $1 means alot more to a poor local and his family then a simple thank you (if you're even saying that)

Profoundly, another dolt

Originally Posted by dsquared37
No time wasted necessary. After the all the concierge advised you the likely cost and you decided to go with the higher one. Again, next time you're at home and go to a local convenience store please pay more than the cost.

What did PT Barnum say about a sucker and his money?

Cambodia tuk tuk etiquette:

1. State your destination.
2. Get in tuk tuk
3. Pay tuk tuk
-- notice nowhere was there a mention of negotiating or otherwise discussing price?

This is how locals do it. If you know the cost there is NO REASON to haggle. By paying more than the stated cost you help to artificially raise the expectations of said drivers and that makes things more difficult for expats because they see every foreigner as an overpaying dolt.

Old Jan 21, 2018, 1:29 pm

Location: ATL - DL DM/3MM - HH Lifetime Diamond - Marriott Lifetime Plat
In a place like Siem Reep, do consider local options instead a big chain. Our hotel, Golden Temple, was great! Cheaper than CY and tons of extras. Free great breakfast every day, 1 free dinner, 1 free picnic lunch to take with you during your day. A very nice pool with your own free cabana - 60 cent beers brought to you. A free 1 hour massage. Walking distance to downtown. During my trips to Thailand and Cambodia, once in country, the only chain hotel we've ever stayed at was the Conrad Koh Samui.
Fizzer and CJKatl like this.
Old Feb 5, 2018, 12:45 pm

+1

Before I found this thread, I found the hotel, and basically had the same interaction (with the GM via email) and got the same disappointing response. Yes I know it is following Marriott guidelines and doing the minimum permissible/necessary, but I do find that often properties like this in Asia go above and beyond the minimum- especially in countries like Cambodia where most hotels include free breakfast for everyone, let alone elites. The Sheraton Lombok would be one example, where they comp Golds a nice breakfast buffet.

As a Gold, the value proposition for me at this property is pretty much nonexistent. No real upgrades, no lounge access, no breakfast. And they charge $45 extra per night to have a kid in your room even on points stays and even using existing bedding. Even the 10k redemption rates are not that attractive, based on comparable properties and prices and the fact that you will pay for everything. The GM did say that they will be offering (or maybe was offering to me since I was whining) elites breakfast at 50% off, so about $10 per person net with taxes and fees. I suggested that she should consider offering a good discount to elites to buy up to lounge access but got no response on that.

Oh well, looks nice if not rather generic and Western but I don't see any reason to stay in a chain property as an elite without elite benefits. This is an odd bird. I am sure the "Why Courtyard" question has something to do with licensing fees and full-service Marriott facility requirements, but the cynical part of me says they probably also branded it this way to avoid costs of status recognition. The property looks somewhat similar to the Marriott in Yogyakarta, in which for 10k a night one can enjoy lounge access, breakfast and the normal goodies.

We have a stay coming up at the end of the year that I had booked but I will cancel the Courtyard and stay at one of the nice local 5-star properties with better hospitality.

Originally Posted by LoveGlobeTrottin
I emailed the resort and asked what the benefits for gold and platinum elites will be there. They replied with what the plat benefits will be. Although I’m a gold, this is all the info I needed to know. I was hoping that lounge benefits would be extended to gold/plat members, but as the response suggests, they won’t be. I know that resort properties are not required to offer lounge access as the rules are different than normal properties. However, I was hoping that lounge access would be granted with this resort. I had 10 days booked in January, but now that I know this I’ll stay in other Asian properties for my Marriott stays this trip. Looks like a really nice hotel, but one can get really nice rooms for 30-60 USD a night in Siem Reap. Without the lounge, it just isn’t worth it to me, personally.

Not a shocker, but I thought I’d give a warning to anyone who thought we may get regular benefits at this property.

Here's part of the response I received.

The platinum benefit at our resort would be offer:
>Complimentary gift upon arrival
>Complimentary internet access (Free Wi-Fi throughout the stay)
>Guaranteed room availability for reservations booked at least 48 hours prior to arrival
>Guaranteed room and bed type
>Late check out until 4pm subject to availability
>Complimentary room upgrade to the next best category subject to availability on arrival date
Note: the booking using the redemption point for stay wouldn’t be entitle for free Executive lounge access.
Furthermore, based on our property is the Resort type and not the hotel type, hence we regret to inform you that the benefit is not the same to other properties with regards to the lounge access unless the booking for our Executive room or Suite room type.
Old Feb 5, 2018, 3:19 pm
Suspended

Programs: Delta Diamond, Marriott Ambassador & Lifetime Titanium, Hertz President's Circle, United Silver
Originally Posted by gil123
This is an odd bird. I am sure the "Why Courtyard" question has something to do with licensing fees and full-service Marriott facility requirements, but the cynical part of me says they probably also branded it this way to avoid costs of status recognition.
I'm guessing that most full-service Marriott, Renaissance, J.W. Marriott and Ritz-Carlton properties in Asia are managed by Marriott International, which would presumably require the owner paying more in fees to Marriott than if the property was franchised and then managed by the owner or a third-party hotel management company.
Old Feb 5, 2018, 4:45 pm
Suspended

As a G, see what your benefits would be at the LeMeridien Siem Reap as to free breakfast !

And yes, a few local non brand hotels do provide breakfast to all guests as they've just built that into their rates.

Before I found this thread, I found the hotel, and basically had the same interaction (with the GM via email) and got the same disappointing response. Yes I know it is following Marriott guidelines and doing the minimum permissible/necessary, but I do find that often properties like this in Asia go above and beyond the minimum- especially in countries like Cambodia where most hotels include free breakfast for everyone, let alone elites. The Sheraton Lombok would be one example, where they comp Golds a nice breakfast buffet.

As a Gold, the value proposition for me at this property is pretty much nonexistent. No real upgrades, no lounge access, no breakfast. And they charge $45 extra per night to have a kid in your room even on points stays and even using existing bedding. Even the 10k redemption rates are not that attractive, based on comparable properties and prices and the fact that you will pay for everything. The GM did say that they will be offering (or maybe was offering to me since I was whining) elites breakfast at 50% off, so about $10 per person net with taxes and fees. I suggested that she should consider offering a good discount to elites to buy up to lounge access but got no response on that.

Oh well, looks nice if not rather generic and Western but I don't see any reason to stay in a chain property as an elite without elite benefits. This is an odd bird. I am sure the "Why Courtyard" question has something to do with licensing fees and full-service Marriott facility requirements, but the cynical part of me says they probably also branded it this way to avoid costs of status recognition. The property looks somewhat similar to the Marriott in Yogyakarta, in which for 10k a night one can enjoy lounge access, breakfast and the normal goodies.

We have a stay coming up at the end of the year that I had booked but I will cancel the Courtyard and stay at one of the nice local 5-star properties with better hospitality.
Old Feb 5, 2018, 5:12 pm

....We have a stay coming up at the end of the year that I had booked but I will cancel the Courtyard and stay at one of the nice local 5-star properties with better hospitality.
Excellent idea. And after the stay is complete, please do write the LeM GM and tell her why you canceled and where you stayed instead.

By the way, all Courtyards in Asia are not so anal: I regularly stay at the CYs in Hong Kong & Tokyo - and always had lounge access when I was a Gold.
Old Feb 5, 2018, 5:45 pm

Yes that's why I am not staying at the LM either. And the breakfast may be "built into" the rates of local properties but they are still generally cheaper, feature for feature, and category for category. We tend to become lazy and unimaginative when traveling- immediately gravitating towards the western chains. When I do get benefits, my stay is comfortable and I feel I am getting good value- but the food, decor and experience often lacks local cultural context.

In many countries I think the "breakfast included" is an outgrowth of cultural norms and traditions: when you are my guest I take care of you and feed you. It's only a refelction of western values that everything is extra. So yeah part of it is I'm cheap and I want to be spoiled but part of it is hospitality.

I did e-mail the GM and say I am staying at the Borei Angkor "privilege floor" instead. Seems like a more authentic experience, better location and better value/benefits without any status at all.

Originally Posted by Srisarin
As a G, see what your benefits would be at the LeMeridien Siem Reap as to free breakfast !

And yes, a few local non brand hotels do provide breakfast to all guests as they've just built that into their rates.

Last edited by gil123; Feb 5, 2018 at 5:57 pm
Old Feb 5, 2018, 5:56 pm

Originally Posted by puchong
By the way, all Courtyards in Asia are not so anal: I regularly stay at the CYs in Hong Kong & Tokyo - and always had lounge access when I was a Gold.
Add CY Taipei to the list which provides lounge access. And it's a fantastic lounge at that! Plus you can take breakfast in the restaurant or lounge!
Old Feb 5, 2018, 7:11 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I don't know if the same group has ownership of the CY build in Phnom Penh but I'm guessing it will be a similar animal in regards elite benes.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.