Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Westin Cozumel, Mexico [Master Thread]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Westin Cozumel, Mexico [Master Thread]

Search this Thread

Old Dec 2, 2021, 12:45 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1MM, WN CP, Marriott LT Plat, Hilton Gold, IC Plat
Sounds like recent experience is pretty good. Does the Westin have a shuttle to the ferry terminal, or do we just get a taxi on arrival?

Is there an elite lounge or just comp breakfast for Plats?
Old Dec 2, 2021, 12:38 pm

Programs: Alaska MVP 75K, Delta Plat, Bonvoy Ambasador, Hilton diamond.
Staying at the property now and I'm pretty underwhelmed. The staff is friendly but overall the property is showing its age and feels more like an off-brand Mexican boutique hotel versus a Westin.

I used suite upgrade certificates which got us upgraded from a 2 queen "larger room" to a King bed Jr. Suite. These suites look like conversions from ocean view cabanas with a large terrace containing a hot-tub. Our hot tub is broken, it's actually leaking straight onto an electrical outlet when the hot water is on! Yieks!. There is no lounger or shade on the large balcony/deck area, just 2 chairs. There is also zero privacy on these balconies/decks.

There is no club lounge, staff informed me its closed due to "covid". The elite breakfast is better then average. Hot buffet with the usual basics on offer.

Zero elite status recognition beyond receiving the free breakfast vouchers as the "elite gift". I inquired about some of the things previously mentioned, none are on offer. No complementary snorkeling gear, etc. The "happy hour" is now from 5-7 and consists of an unspecified drink discount? It sounds like that's just the general happy hour at the bar. The front desk staff clearly did not know about it and had to call somewhere to confirm it exists? I'm not sure the woman at the front desk even knows what marriott bonvoy is? No complementary access to the spa facilities, or the front desk staff does not know. Possible they are using temp staffing agency?

Only lunch option on the property is a $24 buffet (or room service). Digital menus are in use, however the QR link codes are nowhere to be found in the room for the mini-bar or room service.

I would not stay here again. There are better options on the island...this property is a Westin in name only.

Last edited by bubu-SNA; Dec 3, 2021 at 5:08 pm
Old Dec 2, 2021, 2:43 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by bubu-SNA

I would not stay here again. There are better options on the island...this property is a Westin in name only.
Where would you stay? Any chain properties? I am trying to use up points and certs. Thanks for the great review.
Old Dec 3, 2021, 5:13 pm

Programs: Alaska MVP 75K, Delta Plat, Bonvoy Ambasador, Hilton diamond.
Very few choices for 'chains'

Originally Posted by Boraxo
Where would you stay? Any chain properties? I am trying to use up points and certs. Thanks for the great review.
There are very few options on island for major brand affiliated properties. It's how the Westin is staying alive...

Casa Blanca is a Wyndhamm property. I think there is a Hyatt all inclusive coming to the island?

Allegro Cozumel seems ok...not 5 star, but they have a nice beach & facilities. Scuba divers not worried about budget seem to like the place.
Old Dec 5, 2021, 7:53 pm

Programs: HH Diamond, IHG Diamond, Marriott Platinum, Hyatt Discoverist
I had a different experience at the Westin. I was upgraded to a junior suite up on the second highest floor. I brought my own snorkel gear, but the best snorkeling is not at the Westin. The prettiest property is the IC, but it's much more expensive. The Ocean view rooms there with a balcony are super, and the property is huge, but it is somewhat isolatedand no free breakfast. I liked both properties, though.
Boraxo likes this.
Old Dec 5, 2021, 7:59 pm

Programs: HH Diamond, IHG Diamond, Marriott Platinum, Hyatt Discoverist
I will be trying out the Occidental and two other non chain hotels this January when I go to Cozumel for 3 weeks. The food in town is great, so I think you miss out if you only stay at an all inclusive iam only staying at the Occidental as it is close to my DiveShop. I looked pretty thoroughly, so I will post about what happened when I get back.
Old Mar 8, 2022, 9:48 am

Programs: AA EXP, Hyatt Glob, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium, UA *S, BA Fanboy
I've stayed here twice in the past two months. That's more of an endorsement of Cozumel than it is for this property specifically. I primarily come here because they're dog friendly. When I came in December there was no charge for the dog. In Feb, they insisted on a $55 charge. FWIW, the dog is a documented service animal (NOT emotional support) and flies on my lap for free on AA. No other hotel in Mexico ever charges for the dog. I'm pretty sure they're going against Marriott policy here, but the front desk employees aren't empowered to do anything.

From what I can tell, every person staying here is a Platinum member or higher, so other than free breakfast, there is no elite recognition because everyone is elite. I made suite night requests on both of my stays, but neither was accepted.

The biggest problem I see with this hotel is that the staff aren't empowered to do anything. I was mischarged for water at the restaurant and for some reason the manager refused to take the charge off. I assumed I'd get it fixed at check out, but after watching the front desk associate call various people and tell me to "wait for the captain," 15 minutes had passed and I was ready to leave, so they fleeced me for $7.50.

To be honest, I'm going to come back here. It's a nice enough property, the rates are usually reasonable; I enjoy the ease of Cozumel. Just be prepared for illogically bad service and no elite recognition and you'll be fine.

Last edited by Red Raider LV; Mar 8, 2022 at 9:49 am Reason: typio
Old Mar 8, 2022, 10:26 am

So no Elite recognition other than breakfast. Can you share what the breakfast entails / offers?

Based on pictures I assume every room has a balcony and is ocean facing?
Old Mar 8, 2022, 2:08 pm

Programs: AA EXP, Hyatt Glob, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium, UA *S, BA Fanboy
Originally Posted by Bravada04
So no Elite recognition other than breakfast. Can you share what the breakfast entails / offers?

Based on pictures I assume every room has a balcony and is ocean facing?
All rooms are indeed ocean facing.

Breakfast is a full buffet with an egg station, bacon, sausage, Mexican style beans, a stewed meat that changes daily, fresh fruit, chilaquiles, and American style bakery items (soft bread that lasts for a few days and isn't fresh or crispy.) There is also deli meat and cheese, cereal, French toast. It's expansive, and above average compared to US properties, though not very high quality, and doesn't come near what one might expect in Asia or Europe.

I would recommend asking the egg station associate for fresh tortillas and you can make some good breakfast tacos.

Be aware, if they ask you for water, they'll try to give you bottled water. Your resort fee covers bottled water everywhere except the restaurant, and bottles are $3.50 each in the restaurant. Very scammy!
Old Apr 3, 2022, 12:29 pm

Originally Posted by bubu-SNA

As a follow-up to a previous poster's question, what other better non-chain/loyalty points options would you recommend? Am staying for 4 to 5 nights soon and navigating hotels in Yucatan just seems like a minefield of poor service, worn out hard product and overpriced quirks.
Old Apr 3, 2022, 4:16 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

We enjoyed our 1 night stay in early January. As Plat was upgraded to a larger room with a wrap balcony though not a suite. Room was not ready at 1pm so we had lunch at pool restaurant and then room was ready. Views are to die for. Had drinks at the rooftop pool which was nearly empty following a quick t storm

Had a great dinner at Buccanos which was a short walk up the road though the road into the beach club would not be fun in the rain. Nice meal but a bit chilly outdoors and no heat lamps. then key lime pie from the place across street from hotel. Delicious. Wanted to take some with us the next day but they weren’t open at 12.

Had the free buffet breakfast at the beach restaurant. Nothing to write home about but better than the pathetic show I am currently enjoying at Westin Ballston (Arlington). It gets busy at 10am but they found us a table. Spent the rest of the day at the hotel pool and beach. Also rented a wave runner from the activities desk which was super fun thought they don’t let you go far.

overall we really like this property - the bar staff at pool was great. Front desk staff needs some TLC and this being mexico everything is glacial. A lot of entitled types at the pool but there is plenty of space for all.
Old Apr 3, 2022, 5:19 pm

Good to hear as I bit the bullet and booked 5 nights here. I really wanted to stay on the Island longer but nothing else was really getting my attention........we are going to land in Cozumel then grab the ferry across and check out the new Renaissance Cancun. I am so fine being off the strip of the hotel zone in Cancun, hence why I wanted to just stay put in Cozumel.
Can you elaborate on the Plat Benefits? Based on the past reviews it sounds like not much here on that terms - good to hear you got upgraded and can you confirm what the Plat Breakfast is? Other than that I don't expect much more here.
I will be happy to relax and get some sun; do a little snorkeling off the beach and head into town for Dinners. I do like that all rooms have Ocean facing balconies - Love my cocktails in the later part of the evening looking at the view and just relax!
Old Feb 12, 2023, 4:03 am

Here right now. Landed yesterday afternoon and didn’t do anything last night as we were absolutely bagged. Didn’t barely sleep the night before! So bagged that we didn’t go out to eat or even want to go to a restaurant downstairs. We ended up walking across the street to Pancho’s burgers (yup. Lol) Grabbed a Chicken burger w/fries and ate in our room! It actually was very good. Had a shower and was in bed early then my Mom & Dad usually go to bed!!! The arrival was very welcoming - checked in at the, I guess I would call it Bonvoy / concierge desk away from the main reception. Sparkling wine served while he checked us in. I had booked a regular room and we were given a nice corner room. Fantastic views! The room is fine - I’m ok with it. The ONLY thing is they have a ceiling fan above the bed which we usually love, but I there is no wall switch or chain to turn it down. It’s on high blasting on you all night, albeit I power slept last night!
Well, time to try out their breakfast then a day of laying on the beach doing absolutely nothing!
Boraxo likes this.
Old Feb 23, 2023, 10:30 am

HI
Can anyone comment on the cabana rooms here? Found some excellent Air Canada flights on points for next Xmas so figured why not try CZM. There is an ok rate for the two cabana rooms, though only all-inclusive, which although not usually my thing seems reasonable too. Other option would be a regular room on points.
Thanks
Old Feb 24, 2023, 7:40 am

I think this is probably one of the best uses of the 35k cert…I booked here for two nights when rate was around $280/night and pts about 32k/night. Rate buffed to around $400 closing in.

the hotel has issues to be fair and square, mainly its elevators that is really really out of capacity at high hours. Also the open building plan — basically your entire corridor to each room is a huge balcony so your room door is facing open air. At high floors you can hear rough wind outside. Not along your bed though.

But the view is breathtaking. And hotel is on a hot, hot spot. The hotel is located on the north west side of the island and the region is not considered a premium region for snorkeling. Yet, the hotel picked a perfect place to land upon so it got hundreds of fish right down its main restaurant. It is a super easy access to see fish swimming around you by a simple dive into the water. # of fish reduce to less than 1/3 of that in adjacent areas. So it hooked up a great spot and is a blessing to either snorkel 10 feet from the restaurant or simply sitting on the patio during breakfast, to see fish. There’s also a little puddle steps away from the main restaurant where hundreds of baby fish is living in there. My wife is very scared of water and she did her first Snorkel Jr. right in that puddle (lol)

The free 1 hr snorkel gear per day per guest is back and is clearly stated in the welcome email and on the flyer of front desk.

plat/titan get free breakfast for two. They did not charge my 5 yrs old. So a little extra tip for them. Breakfast is typical mexican hotel breakfast, better than any U.S. marriott/hilton hotels but by just that much.

but again, the views and snorkel location is unbeatable and if one has a couple of 35k certs this is one of the best places to use them (without needing to “top it off”).

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.