Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Westin Cozumel, Mexico [Master Thread]

Westin Cozumel, Mexico [Master Thread]

Old Apr 1, 18, 6:57 pm

Programs: Bonvoy Amb LTT, HHonors Diamond, AA ExPlat, United Silver
Smile Thanks!!

Originally Posted by HHQX888 View Post
On web page thay have 2 Junior Sute 85m2, 2 Suite 105m2 and 2 Master Suite 122m2 if you see on floor plan all suites are equal only difference is size of balcony. Located on top floor 16th (PH).

Thanks. Great to see and much appreciated.
Old Aug 12, 18, 4:25 pm

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, MLife Gold, Marriott Gold, HHonors Gold, Caesars Diamond, Amex Plat
On the SPG property site, someone remarked that Plats AND Gold get breakfast. Does anyone know if this is the case (and exception to the rule)? I realize it is probably a moot point, given the merger, but if they are giving breakfast to golds now, maybe they will continue.
Old Dec 24, 18, 8:51 pm

Hi all.

I'm really debating about the following and am torn. Risk/Reward situation. Looking for advice:

1.) 4 nights at the JW Cancun club 91 lounge with $100/night credits
2.) 5 nights at the Westin Cozumel all inclusive package. Price is similar to the JW after the credits ($100 more total for extra night [after credits] plus maybe $100 round trip transportation to Cozumel from Cancun airport)

We plan on using the spa a few times.

My conundrums:

The JW has great pools, a great beach, the service isn't a risk, but you only get drinks 6pm-10pm. Service is important. You know the beach is great. Hotel is well kept.

Westin is all inclusive at the restaurants for breakfast, lunch, and dinner and appears you can chose between 3 for dinner. Seems to be lightly frequented, probably high chance of Platinum Premier upgrade, but service reviews have been pretty poor, I've only seen one review of the all inclusive (my biggest concern), the beach is minimal but you can snorkel right off property, the mini-bar is part of the all-inclusive and refreshed daily. I'm thinking the all inclusive offering is new, but it's weird there have been almost no posts about it. If everything they're advertising is awesome, it'll definitely be better bang-for-the-buck. They also haven't updated their official photo from CGI. Will lose 3 hours each way traveling between Cozumel and Cancun airport (hence extra day)

Really torn between these.

Westin:
Rate Details

All Inclusive Package, includes buffet breakfast for 2 guests daily at Las Gaviotas, lunch for 2 guests daily at Las Gaviotas, dinner for 2 guests daily, snacks daily, mini bar, see Rate details

Additional Information
  • All Inclusive Package for 2.
  • BREAKFAST at Las Gaviotas Restaurant
  • LUNCH at Las Gaviotas Restaurant
  • Snack Pool Bar A La Carte services
  • DINNER at Cuzamil Terrace Italian specialty, Cuzamil Restaurant
  • Inca-Maya fusion specialty, Las Gaviotas Restaurant Mexican
  • specialty and/or Grill House Snack Bar.
  • National and International beverages in all of our Restaurants
  • and Bars
  • Other Services
  • -24 hour room services, alcoholic beverages served by the glass
  • (service charge 10.00 usd)
  • -Mini Bar (Beers, soda and water - restocked daily)
  • -High speed Wi-Fi internet (All throughout the hotel)
  • -24 hrs Westin Workout Gym
  • -Day time activities, beach and pool area
  • -24 hour customer service
  • -Service charge and taxes included
  • Extra person charges apply. Additional child (6-12 years old):
  • 50.00 USD per day. Additional person over 12: 130.00 USD per
  • day. Other services not mentioned above are not included in the
  • rate.

Last edited by Firebird2k6; Dec 24, 18 at 9:10 pm
Old Dec 25, 18, 4:47 am

Westin Cozumel

[QUOTE=Firebird2k6;30571726]Hi all.

I'm really debating about the following and am torn. Risk/Reward situation. Looking for advice:

2.) 5 nights at the Westin Cozumel all inclusive package. Price is similar to the JW after the credits ($100 more total for extra night [after credits] plus maybe $100 round trip transportation to Cozumel from Cancun airport)

My conundrums:

The JW has great pools, a great beach, the service isn't a risk, but you only get drinks 6pm-10pm. Service is important. You know the beach is great. Hotel is well kept.

Westin is all inclusive at the restaurants for breakfast, lunch, and dinner and appears you can chose between 3 for dinner. Seems to be lightly frequented, probably high chance of Platinum Premier upgrade, but service reviews have been pretty poor, I've only seen one review of the all inclusive (my biggest concern), the beach is minimal but you can snorkel right off property, the mini-bar is part of the all-inclusive and refreshed daily. I'm thinking the all inclusive offering is new, but it's weird there have been almost no posts about it. If everything they're advertising is awesome, it'll definitely be better bang-for-the-buck. They also haven't updated their official photo from CGI. Will lose 3 hours each way traveling between Cozumel and Cancun airport (hence extra day)

Westin:[/QUOTE
Was there several months ago. Service was fine. As a Plat Prem we were given full breakfast and a nice lunch as we were told on arriving the lounge was closed due to light occupancy. Upgrade was very nice. All the rooms face the water and all seem to have balconies. Beach is small, but fine and you can definitely snorkel off the beach. Lots of seating around the pool and on the beach. Very quiet, peaceful area, not far from the airport, but away from the tourist areas. We were very pleased with the staff and the amenities. If there is the ability not to take the all inclusive, you might be better off.
Old Dec 25, 18, 11:07 am

[QUOTE=marlee1421;30572233]
Originally Posted by Firebird2k6 View Post
Hi all.

My conundrums:

Westin:[/QUOTE
Was there several months ago. Service was fine. As a Plat Prem we were given full breakfast and a nice lunch as we were told on arriving the lounge was closed due to light occupancy. Upgrade was very nice. All the rooms face the water and all seem to have balconies. Beach is small, but fine and you can definitely snorkel off the beach. Lots of seating around the pool and on the beach. Very quiet, peaceful area, not far from the airport, but away from the tourist areas. We were very pleased with the staff and the amenities. If there is the ability not to take the all inclusive, you might be better off.
Thanks for the post. Happy to hear you didnít have any complaints! Any comments on the walk ability of the area or did you stay on property?

Right now itís $135/night more for all-inclusive. I think I can spend that much solo with the expected drink prices (let alone with 2 people) Iím assuming you went into town for dinners and such?

Old Dec 25, 18, 12:51 pm

Westin Cozumel

[QUOTE=Firebird2k6;30572860]
Originally Posted by marlee1421 View Post

Thanks for the post. Happy to hear you didnít have any complaints! Any comments on the walk ability of the area or did you stay on property?

Right now itís $135/night more for all-inclusive. I think I can spend that much solo with the expected drink prices (let alone with 2 people) Iím assuming you went into town for dinners and such?

Never saw an all inclusive option when we went, so was not there to consider. We were looking for quiet and relaxing so stayed on site almost all the time. There is a lobster house across the street that is excellent, cash only pesos or dollars (Ferdinand Juniors). Pick your own out of a tank. Only thing else on the menu is soup and veggies and desert.
Hotel food and drinks were fine and not overly expensive. Nothing much else you could really walk to that we saw, but we really did not look far. As I said full breakfast and a nice lunch were included as alternative to lounge being closed. At 135 per day you could probably eat dinner and drink your way to that level.
Old Apr 2, 19, 2:48 pm

Programs: United 1K, Marriott Ambassador, Hilton Gold
Just found this thread and wanted to provide my experiences from a stay late last year, many of which are similar to marlee1421. With all of the issues in the forum lately about lack of adherence to policies, breakfast issues, etc, I think this property generally goes above and beyond.

Food: The breakfast benefit and elite "happy hour" of sorts were awesome. Breakfast was (what I consider) an amazing spread of traditional Mexican and American hot foods, a station to get tostadas, huevos rancheros, etc, a wide assortment of pastries and fruit, and plenty of drink options. We utilized the elite happy hour as our lunch most of the days, as it started at 2pm I believe - was a great 3 course (starter, light main, light dessert) afternoon snack with non-alcoholic drinks included. For the type of hotel you're at, I'd much rather have this 2-4p late lunch by the water versus a traditional lounge, and all of it was food I'd prefer any day over the typical evening happy hour offerings in a US lounge. The awesome food coupled with drinks not being overpriced (I vaguely remember the conversion being something like ~$5 for margaritas, 3-4 for beers), made for great pool/beach days.

We never ate at the main restaurant (which I believe is only open for dinner) but the menu seemed a bit more pricey and frankly we wanted to spend most of our evenings in town trying some of the local spots. As an FYI - cab rides were just a few bucks each way from what I can recall. I also second the recommendation for the lobster place across the street - we went there our first night since we had just arrived that afternoon and the food was awesome.

Activities: As an Ambassador, we were able to use the snorkel equipment for free once a day (or per stay, I can't remember), along with access to the spa pools and a discount on services. We didn't purchase any services but the hot and cold tubs were nice to spend some time in one afternoon.

Room: We were upgraded from the base/cheapest room to one with a larger balcony and a hot tub. At check-in they had said all suites and the two villas were sold out (which I had pre-verified via the app). Overall great decor and very well maintained. Even choosing MAGC, the housekeeper insisted on giving us new towels and plenty of bottled water each day which was much appreciated.

Service: As mentioned above, I thought all of the staff were extremely friendly and welcoming, especially in the outdoor restaurant - they remembered us and our drink choices daily. Pool service got a bit slow at times but is understandable when they only had 1-2 people working most of the time.

Other/misc: Just a heads up that one or two of the days there, tour groups from a cruise ship come as part of their excursion to snorkel and use the pool (and eat I believe). It never got overly crowded and there was always seating available, but there was a bit of chaos around arrival and departure time for roundup.

Overall, I thought it was an awesome property to spend a long beach weekend at. I'm not much of a "swim in the ocean" type of person, so the snorkeling and small beach area were plenty for me, and without all of the crowds of Cancun. Obviously the limited service and price of flights to CZM make it more difficult to reach than Cancun but I was fortunate the dates we planned lined up with United's nonstops which only operate certain days of the week during part of the year.
Old Jan 2, 20, 11:03 am

Programs: SE100k, AA Exec Plat, Bonvoy Ambassador
Just wrapped up a week at this property and wanted to chime in.

Paid stay, not point redemption.

Activities: 1 hr of free snorkel rental/kayak rental. You can rent multiple sets during the hour at no additional cost.

Room: We were not upgraded despite better rooms being available during the same time on the app. Dishonest/incompetent front desk staff were a consistent theme during our stay.

Food Service: Wonderful food service staff. Great chef. The all inclusive was worth it, our favourite menu being the lunch time grill at Las Gaviotas.

Front Desk/Housekeeping Service: Front Desk lied about room availability when I inquired about a suite upgrade. Housekeeping routinely missed our room and had to be called up. Front Desk staff incorrectly refused us additional water bottles in our room, until an email to my ambassador got that sorted out.

Other/misc: There were two prolonged periods without water at the hotel, where the staff again lied and said that the whole island was without water, when in fact, the property next door had water. Shame on them for lying.

I would suggest staying at the Westin Cancun and taking a ferry to Cozumel if you must.
duhe likes this.
Old Sep 8, 20, 6:47 am
Hilton Contributor BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

Wanted to report back on a recent stay here- they're doing a great job operating during the pandemic. Restaurants open, gym open, beach and pools open, but masks required and some menus pared down. I have lots of shots of the resort from my stay in the video- but happy to answer any specific questions someone may have!

juergenritz likes this.
Old Jan 26, 21, 6:51 pm

Programs: HH Diamond, IHG Spire Ambassador, Marriott Platinum, Hyatt Discoverist
I am staying here February 7-14. Most of the nights are free nights on certs, but the first two are nights from Priceline and the last a night from Amex Hotel Collection. The hotel let me know I've been upgraded to a junior suite the entire time-initially, it was just the last five nights, and when I asked to pay a cash upgrade for the first two nights, they comped the upgrade. I am a new Platinum, and I am getting treated much better here than I am at the IC Presidente where I am a Spire Ambassador and they barely want to upgrade me one room category. Plus the hotel now offers PCR COVID tests for $130 USD-about the same price as in town, but much more convenient. So I will be on the 16th floor with free breakfast every day-it's going to be great!!! Thanks, Westin!!!!
Intl359Widget likes this.
Old Jan 27, 21, 6:30 am

Programs: DL 2 MM Unobtainum | UA 1.1MM Gold | MR Bonvoy Titanium
Originally Posted by Runner123 View Post
I am staying here February 7-14. Most of the nights are free nights on certs, but the first two are nights from Priceline and the last a night from Amex Hotel Collection. The hotel let me know I've been upgraded to a junior suite the entire time-initially, it was just the last five nights, and when I asked to pay a cash upgrade for the first two nights, they comped the upgrade. I am a new Platinum, and I am getting treated much better here than I am at the IC Presidente where I am a Spire Ambassador and they barely want to upgrade me one room category. Plus the hotel now offers PCR COVID tests for $130 USD-about the same price as in town, but much more convenient. So I will be on the 16th floor with free breakfast every day-it's going to be great!!! Thanks, Westin!!!!
That is more of an exception than the usual because you typically receive no points or elite qualifying nights if youíve booked outside of Marriott channels. I would keep an eye out on the final folio and not expect to receive anything for the first two nights though Priceline.
Old Jun 21, 21, 2:49 pm

Programs: AA Plat, DL SIlver
Any recent experiences here? I will be there next week.
Old Jul 14, 21, 12:55 pm

Originally Posted by james318 View Post
Any recent experiences here? I will be there next week.
How was Westin Cozumel? We will be going next Feb, 2022.
Old Jul 14, 21, 2:36 pm

Programs: AA Plat, DL SIlver
Originally Posted by wedgette View Post
How was Westin Cozumel? We will be going next Feb, 2022.
Loved it! The food was great, the service was outstanding. The only weird thing is that with room service there is a $3 fee for each order, and it is so much easier to pay in cash for it. So think about that if you get room service. It's included, otherwise. Bed and shower were up to Westin standards.
Boraxo likes this.
Old Nov 13, 21, 11:13 am

Programs: EK Gold, UA Silver, Marriott Titanium, Hilton Gold
Titanium Perks?

Hello,

I am thinking of booking Westin Cozumel for 3 nights over Thanksgiving weekend. It looks like the hotel
is fully booked, although Iím getting availability when logged in for a King Ocean view at $177/night on a flexible rate. There are no other rate options to choose from.

I was hoping to get an all inclusive rate. Does anyone know if you can pay for AI at check in? Also, what benefits could be expected as Titanium elite at this property?

Any insight or recent experiences would be great. Thank you.

Search this Thread