Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Marriott’s Statements on Hurricanes Irma and Maria

Old Sep 5, 2017, 10:36 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend
Original Poster

Programs: UALifetimePremierGold, Marriott LifetimeTitanium

"We are closely monitoring the path of Hurricane Irma. Currently, there are storm warnings and watches in effect for several islands across the Caribbean. Our hotels in the current path of the storm have implemented storm preparation protocols.

The safety of our guests and associates is one of Marriott’s top priorities. We will be communicating pertinent information about the storm directly to our guests.

We encourage travelers planning to visit the Islands to check news about the storm for the most current information. For information regarding hotel reservations, please call (800) 228-9290. Those in countries outside of the United States with questions about hotel reservations should call the Marriott International toll-free number in their country."

http://news.marriott.com/2017/09/mar...urricane-irma/
Old Sep 6, 2017, 3:57 pm
Original Poster

Updated statement:

"We are continuing to closely monitor the path of Hurricane Irma. Our hotels and regional offices in the current path of the storm have implemented storm preparation protocols. The safety of our guests and associates is always a top priority at Marriott.

We have established hurricane plans and our hotel teams are well-trained to implement these plans. In addition, we are in close contact with local authorities and, as always, will take guidance and direction from them as the situation warrants it. Plans are in place to evacuate and close our hotels and offices if local authorities or conditions require such action.

We encourage those planning to visit the storm area to check the news of the storm for the most current information and amend their travel plans accordingly. Hotels in the impacted area are waiving hotel cancellation and change fees but details will vary depending on the hotel so we suggest our customers call (800) 228-9290 for more information about their reservations. Those in countries outside of the United States seeking information about their reservations should call the Marriott International toll-free number in their country."
Old Sep 9, 2017, 11:22 am
Original Poster

Marriott Establishes Hurricane Irma Resource Line

http://news.marriott.com/2017/09/mar...resource-line/

"In response to Hurricane Irma, Marriott International has established a resource line for those looking for information about guests and associates who may have been impacted by the hurricane. The number is (866) 211-4610. For those calling outside the U.S. and Canada, the number is +1 402-390-3265. The resource line is staffed from 7:00 a.m. to 10:00 p.m. (ET)."
Old Sep 10, 2017, 1:49 pm

Looks like Marco Island Property is where the storm is making landfall. Thoughts with everyone there.
Old Sep 10, 2017, 2:37 pm
Original Poster

Watching Naples right now which is getting hit w/ winds & some surge. Marco is in the eye at the moment.
jr1202sr likes this.
Old Sep 11, 2017, 7:58 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL DM 2MM, Marriott LT Titanium, Hertz PC, Avis PC
Caribbean locations in particular St. Thomas took significant damage and are closed until further notice:
Ritz St. Thomas - Closed, structural damage
Frenchman's Reef - Closed, structural damage
Frenchman's Cove - Closed, minor structural damage
Old Sep 11, 2017, 8:22 am

Programs: AA EXP/2MM/AC; UA Silver; AS; DL; Marriott LTT; National Car Elite
My house is powerless. I called a couple of local hotels that are bookable online, but they don't answer.

I'll try calling Marriott Reservation line, but is there any other way to see if what's bookable is actually open?
Old Sep 11, 2017, 8:26 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by MsEverywhere

I'll try calling Marriott Reservation line, but is there any other way to see if what's bookable is actually open?
I think you'll need to call Marriott reservation line. They're probably getting updates internally (or will soon given FL is still being impacted). Good luck.

Cheers.
Old Sep 11, 2017, 8:39 am

Programs: DL Gold
Interesting. Upsetting if true.

http://viewfromthewing.boardingarea....ape-hurricane/
Old Sep 11, 2017, 2:59 pm

Programs: LTP, PP
The comments are worth a read. Three sides to every story... I'm siding on the legal liability siding of it as to the real reason.
Old Sep 11, 2017, 4:52 pm

Programs: Marriott Titanium; UA 1K; Hertz Presidents Club
That was my initial thought too... what happens if the boat crashes (I would think the families of those on the boat would sue)? What would happen if a non-guest does something on the boat (Marriott would probably be held liable). I would think there are multiple liabilities Marriott would have to incur by taking non-guests... but I'm no lawyer so just my thoughts!
Old Sep 11, 2017, 5:50 pm

Programs: Bonvoy LT Plat
Great they are covered legally... But lawsuit or not, leaving people stranded like this is a ($*%&) move.

They are in a US territory going to another US territory.

So, great for the outlook of the company, but disgusting lack of compassionate humanity.
Old Sep 11, 2017, 6:42 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: GE, Marriott Platinum
I thought ships were required by treaties and various laws to aid people/other ships in distress. Wouldn't that have applied here? If so, wouldn't that have shielded them somewhat from civil liability? IANAL, of course, so I could be completely wrong on all accounts.
Old Sep 11, 2017, 8:59 pm

Programs: Marriott Silver
I'm (possibly) going to be in Orlando later this week. The hotels currently don't have power (but I assume they will by the time I get there).

If something happens and the hotel is unable to open due to Irma will the
Ultimate Reservation Guarantee apply? I can't seem to find the detailed terms and conditions related to it. I imagine they must have an out for extreme weather but I can't seem to find it.
Old Sep 11, 2017, 9:22 pm

Programs: AA/US PlatPro & 1.05MM, DL Plat (challenge), UA dirt
Originally Posted by tmiw
I thought ships were required by treaties and various laws to aid people/other ships in distress. Wouldn't that have applied here? If so, wouldn't that have shielded them somewhat from civil liability? IANAL, of course, so I could be completely wrong on all accounts.
IIRC, Chapter 3 of the SOLAS (Safety of Life at Sea) references life-saving equipment and arrangements, but the relevant legal framework is:

Article 11 of the Brussels Convention (Convention for the Unification of Certain Rules of Law Relating to Assistance and Salvage at Sea):

Every master is bound, so far as he can do so without serious danger to his vessel, her crew and passengers, to render assistance to everybody, even though an enemy, found at sea in danger of being lost.
It's been codified in the US as The Salvage Act, 46 USC 2304:

[A] master or individual in charge of a vessel shall render assistance to any individual found at sea in danger of being lost, so far as the master or individual in charge can do so without serious danger to the master’s or individual’s vessel or individuals on board.
And it does not excuse the owner of the vessel from liability arising from inaction of the master/captain.

ETA: There could be a case of applying The Standby Act 46 USC 2303:

[R]ender necessary assistance to each individual affected to save that affected individual from danger caused by the marine casualty.
Although that deals with ship collisions and other ship-ship incidents.

ETA 2: I had to recall this from when I was taking the Captain's Exam, so parts may be incorrect.

ETA 3: It would be an interesting case because one could make the case that because of the state of the islands, the other people were effectively castaways and therefore required assistance as if a ship came upon a stereotypical castaway situation.

Last edited by fgirard; Sep 11, 2017 at 9:34 pm

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.