Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Reservation cancellation policy General Discussion

Old Sep 3, 17, 6:32 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: DL PM, Starwood Plat, Marriott Lifetime Plat, Hilton Silver

This is on my reservation: booked for checking in September 8th

Cancelling Your Reservation

You may cancel your reservation for no charge until September 6, 2017 (2 day[s] before arrival).

What does until mean? It makes it sound like I would have to cancel on the 5th to avoid penalty.
I cancelled one recently 2 days before and the platinum desk said that she would have to check.
So is it really a three day window?
Old Sep 3, 17, 9:38 pm

This issue has already been beaten to death in this forum.

Two days means two days.
Old Sep 3, 17, 9:58 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: DL PM, Starwood Plat, Marriott Lifetime Plat, Hilton Silver
Sorry, I searched but couldn't find it, including looking on the threads talking about the new policy.

And what does that mean 2 days means 2 days? It is the language AROUND it that I am concerned about - UNTIL. So, for a reservation arriving on September 8th, it says I have UNTIL September 8th. The absolute interpretation of that means that ON September 6th, I can no longer cancel the reservation.

So, the question. Can I can cancel this reservation on the 6th or not?
Old Sep 3, 17, 10:07 pm
Suspended

Programs: HH-D; MR-P/LTP; SPG-P
Assuming you're in FL, you have failed to state where the prospective hotel is inasmuch as midnight on 6 September where you are may if may not be the same time/date where this property is which controls your demand to be responded to.

Originally Posted by pbiflyer View Post
Sorry, I searched but couldn't find it, including looking on the threads talking about the new policy.

And what does that mean 2 days means 2 days? It is the language AROUND it that I am concerned about - UNTIL. So, for a reservation arriving on September 8th, it says I have UNTIL September 8th. The absolute interpretation of that means that ON September 6th, I can no longer cancel the reservation.

So, the question. Can I can cancel this reservation on the 6th or not?
Old Sep 3, 17, 10:20 pm
Marriott Contributor BadgeHilton Contributor Badge

Programs: HH Diamond, Marriott LTPP/Platinum Premier, Hyatt Lame-ist, UA !K
Just call the hotel and ask.

David
Old Sep 3, 17, 11:23 pm
2019 FlyerTalk Awards

Programs: WN F9 UA AA IHG HH MR
Marriott is completely opaque on this. Best to cancel by the 5th.
Old Sep 4, 17, 5:29 am

Programs: Marriott Plat, AA Gold
I think in the other threads the most likely answer is midnight on the 6th, hotel time.
Old Sep 4, 17, 8:04 am

Programs: LTP, PP
Originally Posted by GoPhils View Post
I think in the other threads the most likely answer is midnight on the 6th, hotel time.
Even the great minds and experts here have differing opinions but I'm going with up until but not including midnight, local time, on the 6th.

11:59pm 9-6-17 in other words.

I recently did this, although about 7pm, and haven't been charged or contacted otherwise.

Sucks Marriott can't be clear about this or the "Marriott Concierge" can't chime in.

Clearly the words were selected to cause confusion so the customer errs on the side of not cancelling. Calling the hotel is likely to get a clerk as equally confused and erring on the side of the hotel, if anything.

Last edited by joshua362; Sep 5, 17 at 6:34 am Reason: grammar
Old Sep 4, 17, 9:29 am

Programs: AAdvantage Platinum, United Silver, Marriott Titanium Elite
Originally Posted by pbiflyer View Post
This is on my reservation: booked for checking in September 8th

Cancelling Your Reservation

You may cancel your reservation for no charge until September 6, 2017 (2 day[s] before arrival).

What does until mean? It makes it sound like I would have to cancel on the 5th to avoid penalty.
I cancelled one recently 2 days before and the platinum desk said that she would have to check.
So is it really a three day window?
It's amazing that Marriott.com continues to use ambiguous, confusing wording. How hard would it be for Marriott.com to replace the ambiguous wording with something that leaves no doubt about the cancellation deadline?

Marriott started the new cacellation policy on June 15, 2017. It applies to most of Marriott's brands, including most of the brands from the Starwood acquisition.

If you make an online reservation for brands from Starwood, such as Sheraton and Westin (still using the old Starwood Hotels online reservation system), the cancellation policy is absolutely clear. The cancellation policy identifies the exact date and time of the deadline, such as this for a reservation beginning October 12, 2016:
CANCELLATION POLICY
If you cancel between Mon, 04 Sep 2017 and 6:00 PM hotel time on Tue, 10 Oct 2017, there will be no forfeiture amount. If you cancel after 6:00 PM hotel time on Tue, 10 Oct 2017, the forfeiture amount will be a 1 night stay. There may be additional applicable charges and taxes.
There's no need to guess what "until 2 day[s] before arrival" means. Until what time? The beginning of the day (such as 12:01 a.m.)? The end of the day (such as 11:59 p.m.)? Or some some sort of "normal" check-in time (such as 4:00 p.m or 6:00 p.m.). Or maybe the guest-selected "expected arrival time" specified on the reservation?
LPCJr, joshua362, pbiflyer and 1 others like this.

Last edited by Horace; Sep 4, 17 at 9:39 am
Old Sep 4, 17, 3:25 pm
2019 FlyerTalk Awards

Programs: Marriott LTT, Amtrak Select, Hertz 5*, AA Gold, IHG Plat, National Exec
Originally Posted by Horace View Post
It's amazing that Marriott.com continues to use ambiguous, confusing wording. How hard would it be for Marriott.com to replace the ambiguous wording with something that leaves no doubt about the cancellation deadline?

Marriott started the new cacellation policy on June 15, 2017. It applies to most of Marriott's brands, including most of the brands from the Starwood acquisition.

If you make an online reservation for brands from Starwood, such as Sheraton and Westin (still using the old Starwood Hotels online reservation system), the cancellation policy is absolutely clear. The cancellation policy identifies the exact date and time of the deadline, such as this for a reservation beginning October 12, 2016:
CANCELLATION POLICY
If you cancel between Mon, 04 Sep 2017 and 6:00 PM hotel time on Tue, 10 Oct 2017, there will be no forfeiture amount. If you cancel after 6:00 PM hotel time on Tue, 10 Oct 2017, the forfeiture amount will be a 1 night stay. There may be additional applicable charges and taxes.
There's no need to guess what "until 2 day[s] before arrival" means. Until what time? The beginning of the day (such as 12:01 a.m.)? The end of the day (such as 11:59 p.m.)? Or some some sort of "normal" check-in time (such as 4:00 p.m or 6:00 p.m.). Or maybe the guest-selected "expected arrival time" specified on the reservation?
This. Despite the fact that some folks feel that the Marriott policy is clear, I think the wording just leaves a great deal of room for potential interpretation and thus argument. Why not have a policy that defines a specific point in time? I don't think that anyone would dispute that 6:00 PM hotel time on October 10 means 6:00 PM in the time zone in which the hotel is located, on whatever day is October 10 in said time zone. Very clear. As a customer, I would appreciate that kind of clarity.
Old Sep 4, 17, 7:16 pm
Suspended

Programs: HH-D; MR-P/LTP; SPG-P
Are you kidding! This is FT. Someone will assume, and argue, Martian time zone

Originally Posted by LPCJr View Post
I don't think that anyone would dispute that 6:00 PM hotel time on October 10 means 6:00 PM in the time zone in which the hotel is located, on whatever day is October 10 in said time zone. Very clear. As a customer, I would appreciate that kind of clarity.
Old Sep 4, 17, 9:52 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K 1MM; AS MVPG; Marriott Plat Premier; Hilton Diamond (Aspire); Hyatt Refugeeist
Originally Posted by joshua362 View Post
Clearly the words were selected to cause confusion so the customer errs on the side of not cancelling.
Pretty sure you're right. The folks at Marriott are not stupid. They know how to define an unambiguous cancel deadline if they want to.

I continue to assume it's hotel check-in time, 48 hours in advance, though that may be overly conservative.
Old Sep 5, 17, 10:24 pm

Programs: UA MM (recovering former 1K), Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by Horace View Post

CANCELLATION POLICY
I've no sympathy for Marriott, or any of the other travel corporations that are not our friends, but "amazing"?

Not. Have you ever read a product warranty? We're dealing with corporate culture, not magic.

For me, the fact that so many hotels don't credit the 750 pts/night for breakfast when the lounge is closed and the option is confirmed at check-in, or how long it takes for them to actually process the hotel bill charges, much less post the points, well given that it's 2017 and it's simple technology, that's "amazing".

But just another opinion.
3rdworldresident likes this.
Old Feb 10, 18, 6:02 pm
Moderator, Hertz
Hyatt Contributor BadgeHilton Contributor Badge 2019 FlyerTalk Awards

Programs: UA 1MM, BA GGL, Hyatt Glob, Hilton Diamond and others
Originally Posted by Kacee View Post
Pretty sure you're right. The folks at Marriott are not stupid. They know how to define an unambiguous cancel deadline if they want to.

I continue to assume it's hotel check-in time, 48 hours in advance, though that may be overly conservative.
That's what I assuming.
I want to make a booking for a upcoming stay but I won't know if I'll make it down till the day of. So for a stay starting Feb 15th, the cancellation policy says I can cancel until Feb 15th for free. I don't know if that means 11:59PM Feb 15th, check-in time Feb 15th, or when the reservations manager runs the check-ins for the day.
Old Feb 10, 18, 6:57 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: DREAD Gold; UA 1.021MM; Bonvoy Au-197; PCC Elite+; CWC Au-197; CCC Elite; WoH Dis
Originally Posted by jason8612 View Post
I don't know if that means 11:59PM Feb 15th, check-in time Feb 15th, or when the reservations manager runs the check-ins for the day.
Or 12:01 AM.

Search this Thread