Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Le Méridien Seoul, South Korea [Master Thread]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Le Méridien Seoul, South Korea [Master Thread]

Search this Thread

Old Feb 19, 2018, 12:58 am

Programs: Marriott & SPG Plat, HH Diamond, Accor Plat, ex-Fairmont Plat, ex-Swissotel Eleva
I am planning for a stay in a couple of months time. I am undecided between Westin Chosun, D Cube Sheraton, and this newly opened Le Meridien.

I have been to D Cube Sheraton and Westin Chosun previously, and while I was impressed with D Cube in the past, I read the recent rapid decline, and was thinking of giving it a miss. Westin Chosun's experience has always been a mixed bag, a decent lounge, good location, and hit-and-miss junior suite upgrades.

As for Le Meridien, I have no experience as it is newly opened, though i see from the reviews that there were miscalculations on the opening of the hotel (and I do not want to hold against them if they have turned it around), but I wonder how their recent performance ranks along side Westin & D Cube Sheraton recently.

I hope the SPG regulars on Seoul could weigh in on the recent experiences and I will take it into consideration before making my final decision on which hotel to go for.

Thank you!
Old Mar 29, 2018, 4:47 pm
Marriott 5+ Badge

Programs: Bonvoy LT Plat. WOH Glob. SQ Gold
So any recent updates on this hotel? Not that it is always relevant but the trip advisor reviews appear to be improving. Looking at a 5 or 6 night leisure stay in May. Was last in Seoul 5 years ago and stayed at the Westin which was very central for a first time tourist and a solid (slightly staid) Hotel. However prefer to try another SPG property this trip.
Old Mar 30, 2018, 8:27 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by chad75
So any recent updates on this hotel? Not that it is always relevant but the trip advisor reviews appear to be improving. Looking at a 5 or 6 night leisure stay in May. Was last in Seoul 5 years ago and stayed at the Westin which was very central for a first time tourist and a solid (slightly staid) Hotel. However prefer to try another SPG property this trip.
Depends if you need full luxury or not, then I'd recommend the new Design hotel in Gangnam or one of the Four Points than this hotel.
Old Apr 1, 2018, 6:25 am

Originally Posted by chad75
If you liked the location of the Westin, go back to it. The Le Meridien is in the Gangnam district and is a good distance away from the majority of the tourist attractions.
..unless of course there is a need for you to be in the Gangnam area?
Old Apr 11, 2018, 7:23 pm
Marriott 5+ Badge

Programs: Bonvoy LT Plat. WOH Glob. SQ Gold
Thanks for the feedback. Certainly not wedded to the Gangham district but after a change of scenery from the Westin area. Looking at the design hotel I suspect I'm about 10 (or more honestly - 20) years above their target demographic.

As a leisure traveller I was hoping to lock in my 10th Plat. Year as soon as possible to qualify as lifetime plat, but depending on coming changes will most likely ditch SPG for Seoul and stay at the Park Hyatt instead. Ditto for Busan as well.
Old Apr 12, 2018, 7:49 am

OT but if this was my 10th Plat year, then regardless of upcoming changes I would just do it and get it locked in. Even if it works out to be little better than the existing Marriott Gold benefits, always having that minimum tier would be a tangible benefit.

Being 40 nights away from LTG for me, however, is a very different question since Gold will be 4th in line from the top going forward (and would be lucky if not noticeably worse than SPG Gold benefits in the new scheme)...
Old Jun 9, 2018, 8:10 pm

Currently staying at Le Meridian and I have to say it is one of the best SPG hotels I have ever stayed in. The lounge food is amazing, gym is large and fully equipped and I had the huge, crysta-clear lap pool all to myself when I went for a swim.
I personally love the aesthetics of rich coppers and teal blue with marble. The clean lines are striking.
Upon check-in you receive 2 tickets to the museum (just missed the Warhol exhibition).

I would definitely stay again!

bizum likes this.
Old Sep 10, 2018, 9:55 pm

Which hotel should one pick in Seoul between Le Meridien and the Westin?

For the dates I'm lookin at the price difference is minimal < $15. I read the Westin is geting old and tired (and it shows in traveler photos), but still getting glowing reviews. Any one has somewhat recent experience in both? Probably will be staying in the hotel for a lot longer than I'd like to for work so location is less important.
Old Feb 20, 2019, 5:20 am

This hotel (a night club at this property, to be specific) is in spotlight in Korea. The night club has just closed after drugs and sex/violence allegations. Some employees are arrested and it is extremely likely that the hotel is associated in one way or another. The hotel restroom at the lobby turned out to be a mecca for drugs for years. Shame for the hotel but I expect there wouldn't be much damage to the Marriott because only few knows this is Marriott.

Expect a media crowd in the next few weeks.
Old Feb 20, 2019, 8:18 am
Hilton 25+ BadgeMarriott 10+ Badge

Originally Posted by bobbybrown
The hotel restroom at the lobby turned out to be a mecca for drugs for years. Shame for the hotel but I expect there wouldn't be much damage to the Marriott because only few knows this is Marriott.

Expect a media crowd in the next few weeks.
You mean even when it was a Ritz Carlton?

Cheers!
Old Feb 20, 2019, 4:41 pm

Originally Posted by nldogbert
You mean even when it was a Ritz Carlton?

Cheers!
Nope - the drug club opened in early 2018 after Ritz Carlton became Le Meridien. It was a good question, though.
Old Feb 21, 2019, 12:27 am

Programs: UA Mileage Plus, NWA WorldPerks deserter, Alaska Airlines Something-er-Other...
Originally Posted by bobbybrown
.....the drug club opened in early 2018....
Well if they named it that, they deserve to get busted!
Old Mar 21, 2019, 8:17 pm

What's best transportation from Incheon Airport?

How's the lounge?

Neighborhood?
Old Mar 27, 2019, 10:25 am

Programs: UA: 1K, Hyatt: Explorist and Marriott: LF Titanium Elite
Originally Posted by SacTownGuy
What's best transportation from Incheon Airport?

How's the lounge?

Neighborhood?
When traveling from the airport to Seoul, I always prefer to take the airbus shuttle service. Its quite simple and takes around 60-90 minutes (depending on traffic). To get a ticket, I would go to arrival and buy a ticket (circa 16,000 KRW).

In terms of the lounge it was quite comprehensive, always well stocked with drinks and food (even though the food wasn't fantastic). It was a quite place to work for several hours before the crowd appears for Afternoon Tea, Happy Hour and Dinner (idk why but Korean people love hotel lounges)
SacTownGuy likes this.
Old Oct 28, 2019, 5:32 pm

Programs: AA ExPlat, Marriott Titanium, HH Diamond
Looking to stay near Gangnam next month and am currently booked at the JW Marriott.

How does this property compare to the JW Marriott? Being a former Ritz Carlton, is it more upscale than a standard LM?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.