Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Marriott Bonvoy hotels in Washington, DC, area

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Mar 5, 2018, 8:22 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: hhoope01
This thread refers to the various Marriott brands within a specific geographic area. Marriott Bonvoy hotels in XX usually have posts asking which property is better, etc. Trip reports are usually better suited in the property specific threads.
Print Wikipost

Search this Thread

Old Jul 8, 2002, 9:07 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Free Agent! B6 Mosaic, AA 5MM LT Plat (EXP gone), SPG LT Plat, WN APlus, Hilton Diamond

Any suggestions for a good hotel for a family visit in the Washington DC area?

Preferences:
- Walking distance to Metro
- Price
- Parking
- Upgrade availability (for a gold)

Mainly looking for a good place to sleep; won't be in the hotel all that much.
Falls Church, Arlington, Rosslyn, etc. seem like good options ...

Thanks!
Old Jul 8, 2002, 10:16 pm
Patron

Key Bridge Marriott located in Arlington, VA on the banks of the Potomac River, overlooking D.C. (especially Georgetown). Two blocks from Rosslyn, VA Metro station away. The Celebrate Heritage & Culture in Washington, DC Promotion (valid until September 2nd 2002, promotion code: CUE) should bring you in for USD 79,-- (Potomac Mills Package).

Old Jul 9, 2002, 6:57 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: No status no more, no where, no how.
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by Patron:
Key Bridge Marriott for USD 79,-- (Potomac Mills Package).</font>
Great property, great price. I heartily recommend it.
Old Jul 9, 2002, 7:09 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: 2008 FT1 Fantasy Football Champion
Just got back from the Renaissance next to the conv center. Nice property, they were refurbing rooms during our stay. Got upgraded (as a Plat) to a Jr. Suite. Big lounge, open all day. Only drawback is distance to the Metro, about 3.5 blocks. Should be able to get a AAA rate for around $90.

I third Key Bridge, and also add the Crystal City/Gateway properties. Never stayed in 'em, but they are right on the Metro and can usually be had for the $80's or so. (Using the CUE code, I got $79.)
Old Jul 9, 2002, 7:17 am

Just back from a 3 nite stay at the Marriott Fairview Park, just off the 495 beltway,near hiway 10 from DC. About 9 - 10 miles from the government center in DC.Has all you ask for, except walking distance from Metro, although they do have a free shuttle to and from the station.
Right now, they are running a $59/nite weekend rate, which we got, Sat thru Monday. Nice place, good deal. Free parking, outdoor or indoor, your choice.
Old Jul 9, 2002, 8:41 am

Location: Henderson, Nevada--America West-Gold, Hilton-Diamond, Marriott-Platinum, PriorityClub-Platinum, Starwood-Gold
Just got back from a weekend stay at Marriott Crystal Gateway. We got a rate of $79 a night. We also received 2 free hot buffet over the weekend because the concierge floor was closed. Just show your HHonors card at the Terrace Restaurant on the 2nd floor. We also received a floor upgrade to a junior suite on the 15th floor. The best thing about the hotel is that it is located above the mall and the Crystal Gateway Metro station. You can walk to the mall and Metro because they are underground of the hotel. I am currently Diamond for Hilton but I believe they treat all HHonors level with the same treatment. P.S&gt;. i alsop received the Platinum Gift upon chek in. Good Luck and if you need anymore info. let me know.
Old Jul 9, 2002, 10:32 am

Programs: Honors Gold, Marriott Gold, SPG Gold
I never knew HHonor card worked at Marriott. I should have shown my HHonors card at Marriott hotels I stayed.

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by AirMax:
Just got back from a weekend stay at Marriott Crystal Gateway. ...... Just show your HHonors card at the Terrace Restaurant on the 2nd floor. ..... I am currently Diamond for Hilton but I believe they treat all HHonors level with the same treatment. P.S&gt;. i alsop received the Platinum Gift upon chek in. Good Luck and if you need anymore info. let me know.</font>
Old Jul 9, 2002, 12:19 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Falkirk, Scotland,VS Red, BA Gold, HH Diamond,UK Amex Plat
Programs: Master of the Privy Purse des Muccis
Hi
I have stayed at both the Key Bridge and the Crystal Gateway Marriotts.
While the KB is handy for a walk across to Georgetown, The CG is connected to a shopping mall and closer to the metro stop.

I personnally preferred the CG as the rooms appeared slightly nicer and the restaurant staff appeared to offer a better service during the breakfast buffet.
However both are good.

Regards
TBS
Old Jul 10, 2002, 3:13 pm

We love the Residence Inn-Merrifield, a couple of miles from the Dunn Loring station on Metro's orange line.
Old May 18, 2004, 10:00 am

Programs: DL DM, 1MM AA PLT 2MM, Marriott Lifetime Titanium, and...Smiles Diamante
Washington Marriott: mini-report

This past weekend, we stayed at the Washington Marriott. With a little shove from a friend (thanks NJUPINTHEAIR ), and assistance from our new Marriott Concierge friend, we were able to book two nights at $119 per night by taking advantage of the Hillwood package, and then we applied an EEO buy one get one certificate as well. Not bad considering the prevailing rate for the weekend was 200-odd dollars.

As has been reported here before, the greatest selling point of this hotel is not the actual property, but its location. Our room was extremely compact, and had a a far too scenic view of the HVAC system one floor below. Not worth griping about given the duration of our stay and the lack of time that we were planning on spending in the room, but it was still one of those "why would you put an elite member in a room like that?" moments.

Check-in was efficient and polite, although the agent made no mention of Concierge Lounge hours or access without prompting. Ultimately, that didn't matter, because we were out of the hotel (or sleeping) during the Lounge's hours.

One stand out event: There was a fire alarm at around 9:30am on Saturday morning. Two comments regarding the alarm:

1) I'm sure the hotel is in compliance with relevant codes, but I found the in-the-hall alarm system to be pretty hard to hear. I am not a heavy sleeper, but I needed a shove from my partner to wake up, as I didn't even hear the alarm. Even then, it sounded more like a loud alarm clock in a neighboring room than an actual fire alarm.

2) Perhaps I'm a nitpicker, but, from a customer service standpoint, I wish either a) the manager on duty had been standing in the elevator area to express his/her apologies for the alarm, or, b) an apology would have been slipped under the doors. I'm not grubbing for points -- I just want a responsive staff that recognizes that involuntary weekend wake-up calls do not enhance guests' stays.

Upon check-out, staff was polite, and the bellmen were very helpful. I don't know if it's the norm, but the bellman got us a town car to National for $15, and we certainly appreciated the nice ride at the end of our stay.

All in all -- I can't complain much given the rate, but I found the property to be thoroughly average, and wouldn't stay at the hotel again unless presented with a similar savings opportunity.

Last edited by snorkmaster; May 18, 2004 at 10:03 am
Old May 18, 2004, 2:38 pm

Programs: Marriott lifetime Titanium, Delta Platinum
Do you try Blackies, adjacent to the hotel? One of my favorites for steak.
Old May 18, 2004, 2:40 pm

Programs: DL DM, 1MM AA PLT 2MM, Marriott Lifetime Titanium, and...Smiles Diamante
Didn't try Blackie's (as we had other dining plans), but I like how it was integrated into the hotel.

We did go to Vidalia for dinner the first night, Old Glory for the barbecue brunch action on Sunday, and Penang for dinner on Sunday night.
Old May 18, 2004, 4:33 pm

Programs: Marriott LTT, United Club Life Member, UA *S
[QUOTE=snorkmaster]Didn't try Blackie's (as we had other dining plans), but I like how it was integrated into the hotel.QUOTE]

Just to clarify, Blackie's was there for many years before the Marriott was built over-and-around it.
Old May 18, 2004, 5:11 pm
Suspended

[QUOTE=Annandaler]
Originally Posted by snorkmaster
Didn't try Blackie's (as we had other dining plans), but I like how it was integrated into the hotel.QUOTE]

Just to clarify, Blackie's was there for many years before the Marriott was built over-and-around it.

The Marriott did not do an end run around Blackies. FYI, Blackies OWNS that Marriott!!!
Old May 18, 2004, 6:35 pm
doc
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by NJUPINTHEAIR
The Marriott did not do an end run around Blackies. FYI, Blackies OWNS that Marriott!!!
Yes, that is so. Yet for the last year or so, maybe longer, you can not charge your meal at Blackies to your room at the Marriott. Too many problems in the past with patrons apparently claiming that they never ate there, and so on...or so I was lead to believe.

FWIW, I actuallly kinda' like this Marriott and have found the folks working there to be quite good.

-Mark

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.