Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Sina Villa Medici, Autograph Collection - Florence, Italy [Master Thread]

Sina Villa Medici, Autograph Collection - Florence, Italy [Master Thread]

Old Oct 22, 2018, 12:57 pm

Programs: Hyatt Glob; UA 1K; BonVoyage LTT (RIP SPG); HH Dia; JX Insighter
Originally Posted by stargold
* Old style key with a very heavy key ring - nuisance to carry around
The Gritti Palace in Venice likewise has the large key, though we found it quite charming. It probably helped that they held it for us at reception anytime we left and were prepared to hand it right back to us whenever we returned to the property.
Old Oct 22, 2018, 1:05 pm
Suspended
Marriott 25+ BadgeAman Contributor Badge

Programs: Marriott Ambassador and LTT, UA Plat/LT Gold, AA Gold
Originally Posted by stargold
Old style key with a very heavy key ring - nuisance to carry around
FWIW, the StR Florence also has this, but we left it with and picked it up from reception whenever we left the hotel. It is a bit annoying, I agree, but it also evokes the charming ambience of a heritage property.
Old Oct 23, 2018, 3:31 am

Programs: Marriott LT Titanium; Mileage Plus 1K, 1 MM; Global Entry
We, too, just finished a 5 day award stay here. Sent in an SNA request, but we were upgraded to a suite about two weeks out, so I cancelled the SNA request. Very nice, large room.

As other said we got a single heavy metal key, which we left at reception when we left the hotel. Since it had the hotel name and room number on it losing it while you are out and about could be costly.

Room had two bathrooms, a large one with a tub and a small one with a walk-in shower.

Neighborhood was not exactly Gucci territory, but it was convenient to the train station and, as others have mentioned, not too bad a walk to central Florence. A short way to the river and a very pleasant walk from there.

About a block from the hotel there is a really nice gelato shop called B. Ice, by the way. Great for grabbing a treat on the way back to the hotel in the afternoon. There is also a Carrefour about a block and a half in the other direction.

We found the breakfast to be quite good. Were able to get all the things we usually like to get when we are on the road.

The restaurant, like many Italian restaurants, is closed from mid afternoon to 7 PM (as I recall), but the bar is open and serves food all day.

Overall, a very pleasant stay. Would definitely stay there again.
Old Oct 23, 2018, 6:24 am
Suspended

Programs: Delta Diamond, Marriott Ambassador & Lifetime Titanium, Hertz President's Circle, United Silver
Originally Posted by Michilander
As other said we got a single heavy metal key, which we left at reception when we left the hotel. Since it had the hotel name and room number on it losing it while you are out and about could be costly.
Sounds like a great souvenir. I always like it when Ritz-Carlton, J.W. Marriott and sometimes Renaissance properties have custom keycards with the name of the property. I wonder if the front desk would sell you a disused key.

Originally Posted by Michilander
Neighborhood was not exactly Gucci territory, but it was convenient to the train station and, as others have mentioned, not too bad a walk to central Florence. A short way to the river and a very pleasant walk from there.
Is it safe walking around at night? Areas by train stations in Europe tend to attract vagabonds and, by extension, petty crime.
Old Oct 23, 2018, 8:16 am

Programs: Marriott LT Titanium; Mileage Plus 1K, 1 MM; Global Entry
Originally Posted by hockeyinsider
Is it safe walking around at night? Areas by train stations in Europe tend to attract vagabonds and, by extension, petty crime.
We are not night people, so the latest I was out and about around the hotel was probably about 8:30. As you would expect for Italy, there were still a lot of people around, which generally means, as I'm sure you know, you are pretty safe except for maybe pickpockets. I would not have walked to the train station real late at night.
Old Dec 14, 2018, 4:13 pm

Originally Posted by jtwiz
The Sina Villa Medici was the ideal hotel for us in Florence – it was an oasis of calm elegance after a day of sight-seeing! Platinum Premier benefits were described in detail at check-in (complimentary breakfast buffet daily, plus points or a $10 Food and Beverage coupon.) I was upgraded to a lovely corner room with a pool-view terrace. As I was there on a Reward stay, the upgrade was really appreciated.

Overall the hotel is quite beautiful, from the lobby to the breakfast room to the outside patio overlooking the pool. But for us, the best part was our room. The hardwood floors, the efficient and very updated bathroom, the furnishings – all of it was truly excellent. One minor point, the mattress on our bed was quite hard, which my husband loved. Me, not as much! But our room was very quiet, the drapes kept it dark so in the end I slept just fine at the Sina.

I liked that there were separate closet areas with lots of hangers and drawers. So even without a dresser, we had plenty of room to store things. The mini-bar fridge had enough room for us to store a few things of our own, which was nice.

The bathroom was completely updated with plenty of room. We both really loved the shower and the fluffy towels! And our room was spotlessly clean, every day.

We were at the hotel for 5 days, using the breakfast buffet daily. It was wonderful: fried and scrambled eggs, bacon, sausage, pastries, fruits, cereal, yogurts, vegetables, meats, cheeses, juices and prosecco. There was also a section with some wrapped gluten-free items. One wish, maybe a small variant each day on the buffet. It really was the exact same buffet every day. There was definitely no upcharge for Platinums, the entire buffet was available.

We also stopped by the Lobby Bar for a glass of wine (or two) several nights during our stay. They have a happy hour special from 6 to 7 PM, buy 2 glasses of wine and get the 3rd for free!

We found plenty of good restaurants close by for dinner on nights when we didn’t feel like wandering too far, but in the end, Florence isn’t that large. So while the Sina is slightly out of the city center, it doesn’t take too long to get where you need to be.

I agree with Dan Jordan above, B.ICE has great gelato - loved stopping by on our way home at night.

I would stay here again in a heartbeat! Of the three Autograph Collection hotels (Grand Hotel dei Dogi in Venice and Palazzo Naiadi in Rome) we stayed in while in Italy, this was our favorite by far. Just the right amount of service without being over the top, just the right amount of elegance without feeling out of place in our sight-seeing clothes after some long, hot days.
Thank you for this I was debating between this or Falisia, a Luxury Collection Resort & Spa, Portopiccolo for 7 nights but your review won me over.
jtwiz and TravelinSperry like this.
Old Aug 11, 2019, 9:21 pm

Programs: AA Lifetime Platinum (3MM), QF Lifetime Gold, Bonvoy Lifetime Platinum, Ex-Hyatt Diamond
Originally Posted by hockeyinsider
Is Venice even worth visiting? There are so many charming places in Italy to see and experience. Venice seems to have been invaded by cruise ships.
Probably the BEST Bonvoy option ever. Certainly in top 10.
Old Aug 17, 2019, 5:30 pm

Programs: AA Lifetime Platinum (3MM), QF Lifetime Gold, Bonvoy Lifetime Platinum, Ex-Hyatt Diamond
What should the expectation or possibilities be here for platinum breakfast for 2 adults and 2 kids in same room?
Billy Bandit likes this.
Old Aug 18, 2019, 5:36 pm

Which train station in Florence should I book into from Rome?
Old Aug 19, 2019, 1:30 pm

Programs: UA Gold, Marriott Titanium, Hilton Silver, Hertz
Originally Posted by nologic
Which train station in Florence should I book into from Rome?
Firenze SMN
Old Mar 12, 2021, 3:30 pm

Programs: DL DM 2 MM, Marriott Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium/Ambassador Elite , Hilton Honors Lifetime Diamond
Any more recent stays at this property? I’m Ambassador and stayed at the St Regis back 2019 and absolutely loved it. Unfortunately, their rates and point redemption for where we are looking are outrageous. SVM has a good point saver promotion going on, the location looks decent and the photos look good. Went over to the Westin when we stayed at the St Regis and really enjoyed the roof top bar.
Old Mar 12, 2021, 8:04 pm

Originally Posted by buckeye91
Any more recent stays at this property? I’m Ambassador and stayed at the St Regis back 2019 and absolutely loved it. Unfortunately, their rates and point redemption for where we are looking are outrageous. SVM has a good point saver promotion going on, the location looks decent and the photos look good. Went over to the Westin when we stayed at the St Regis and really enjoyed the roof top bar.

We stayed for a week in Oct 2019 and loved it. Really good breakfast when we were there. Not that recent but if I can help let me know.
Old Mar 12, 2021, 9:59 pm
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: Marriott Ti/LTP
Originally Posted by Soccerjoshj07
We stayed for a week in Oct 2019 and loved it. Really good breakfast when we were there. Not that recent but if I can help let me know.
Was there in Dec 2018 and I didn't think that the breakfast was all that strong. I've definitely had better in Europe, even at some "ordinary" FS properties. Could be an Italian thing though.
Old Mar 12, 2021, 10:29 pm

Programs: Airline Free Agent, Bonvoy Platinum, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by GoSh4rks
Was there in Dec 2018 and I didn't think that the breakfast was all that strong. I've definitely had better in Europe, even at some "ordinary" FS properties. Could be an Italian thing though.
Ditto, thought the same thing when I was there in Oct 2019. I stayed at the Gritti Palace before coming here so it would be unfair to compare the two but the breakfasts I had at a boutique hotel in Rome (iQ Roma) was significantly better than what the Sina Villa Medici offered.

Overall, the hotel was just fine as I used a travel certificate here and the Westin/StR are at a higher category.
Old Mar 13, 2021, 4:48 am

Programs: DL DM 2 MM, Marriott Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium/Ambassador Elite , Hilton Honors Lifetime Diamond
Thanks for the responses.

This thread really became a hotel breakfast thread v. a hotel thread a couple of years ago. Not too worried about breakfast. Coffee, water and some European style foods is fine. I don’t go to Europe or a hotel for a breakfast. Happy to go down the street and get a roll and some cappuccino. What’s important to me is the hotel’s convenient location, clean, quiet, excellent service.

I will say, however, when I stayed at the St Regis a couple of years ago their breakfast was over the top but that’s not why I chose that hotel.
Soccerjoshj07 likes this.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.