Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Sina Villa Medici, Autograph Collection - Florence, Italy [Master Thread]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Sina Villa Medici, Autograph Collection - Florence, Italy [Master Thread]

Search this Thread

Old Jan 2, 2018, 3:56 pm
Suspended

Programs: Delta Diamond, Marriott Ambassador & Lifetime Titanium, Hertz President's Circle, United Silver
Originally Posted by jtwiz
I read a recent review of this hotel on TA and saw that a MR Plat was offered 750 points daily instead of breakfast. I emailed the hotel today and got confirmation that is the case. So No Lounge, No Breakfast, just 750 points per day. Very disappointing as the breakfast buffet is 36 Euros per person!
It better be a damn good breakfast buffet at approximately $43, like prosecco. The profit margin for breakfast buffets is so high that this is close to highway robbery if there isn't prosecco included. As I always write in the suggestion box of surveys, I would have ate or drank at the hotel if the prices were competitive with what I could find off-property.

Frankly, the hotel's No. 83 (of 411) ranking on Trip Advisor isn't encouraging.
Old Jan 2, 2018, 5:17 pm

Programs: UA Gold, Marriott Titanium, Hilton Silver, Hertz
Originally Posted by Srisarin
Read again - it says INSTEAD
You have an option of breakfast or 750 points, you can’t have both but certainly you can choose breakfast at Auto Col and if you need points there’s the PAG
Yes, I understand that some hotels offer points in lieu of breakfast. But in this case, the Reservations Manager was explicit. No free breakfast for Plats/Golds. The only option is points.

Hockeyinsider, I agree on the ranking but was hopeful it would improve now that it is under the Marriott Autograph Collection umbrella. But this whole breakfast issue leaves me thinking I may need to look for another option. I'm not going until September, so have plenty of time to figure it out.
Old Jan 2, 2018, 6:43 pm
Suspended

Programs: Delta Diamond, Marriott Ambassador & Lifetime Titanium, Hertz President's Circle, United Silver
Yes, I understand that some hotels offer points in lieu of breakfast. But in this case, the Reservations Manager was explicit. No free breakfast for Plats/Golds. The only option is points.

Hockeyinsider, I agree on the ranking but was hopeful it would improve now that it is under the Marriott Autograph Collection umbrella. But this whole breakfast issue leaves me thinking I may need to look for another option. I'm not going until September, so have plenty of time to figure it out.
Unless the Marriott terms and conditions have been updated to give this property an exemption, this could be a significant violation that Marriott would surely take seriously.

A cheaper option might be the guest apartments belonging to St. Mark's, the Anglican parish church in Florence: Apartments in Florence - St Mark's English Church, Florence, Italy. 125 euros per night.
Old Jan 2, 2018, 9:07 pm
Suspended

Programs: HH-D; MR-P/LTP; SPG-P
Per the relevant T&Cs for non-resort European Auto Collection -

Marriott Rewards® Elite Benefits Guarantee

your choice of 750 points or breakfast and if the property fails to provide same it's $100 in equivalent euros, unfortunately that's per stay, not per night (and you are free to confirm this with Marriott Rewards to obtain their pre-arrival position)

Old Jan 9, 2018, 6:46 am

So, given the unsatisfactory response from the hotel, I emailed Marriott Customer Care. They quoted me the same T&Cs that Srisarin did - and I said, yeah, I get that those are the T&Cs, that's why I contacted you! I know the rules, I just want them enforced.

In any case, I forwarded Marriott's response back to the hotel, emphasizing that it is the customer's choice whether to accept 750 points or breakfast (not the hotel's choice.) I finally got a very short email back from them today stating they would give me Continental breakfast. Obviously, I'll be holding onto a copy of that email!

I am still not convinced I want to stay there, although since I am using points - free might outweigh other issues!. I was private messaging with a MR Plat on TA about their stay, and the whole no breakfast issue really soured them. My trip is not until September, so plenty of time to figure out my options and keep an eye on other reports from the hotel.
Old Jan 9, 2018, 7:25 am
Suspended

Programs: HH-D; MR-P/LTP; SPG-P
per the T&Cs continental is all that is actually required, but if ya want to see real continental try the Ghent Marriott !!

So, given the unsatisfactory response from the hotel, I emailed Marriott Customer Care. They quoted me the same T&Cs that Srisarin did - and I said, yeah, I get that those are the T&Cs, that's why I contacted you! I know the rules, I just want them enforced.

In any case, I forwarded Marriott's response back to the hotel, emphasizing that it is the customer's choice whether to accept 750 points or breakfast (not the hotel's choice.) I finally got a very short email back from them today stating they would give me Continental breakfast. Obviously, I'll be holding onto a copy of that email!

I am still not convinced I want to stay there, although since I am using points - free might outweigh other issues!. I was private messaging with a MR Plat on TA about their stay, and the whole no breakfast issue really soured them. My trip is not until September, so plenty of time to figure out my options and keep an eye on other reports from the hotel.
Old Jan 9, 2018, 7:57 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by Srisarin
per the T&Cs continental is all that is actually required, but if ya want to see real continental try the Ghent Marriott !!
I think we are seeing an increasing issue at numerous hotels, across multiple brands, where cheap management and/or owners are taking advantage of "continental" not being defined. The Laylow, Autograph Collection claims its coffee, orange juice and doughnuts meets the definition of continental breakfast. I also think what's most offensive about this is breakfast is generally the most profitable food-and-beverage offering a hotel can offer. The food they serve, particularly at a buffet, costs very little compared to what is charged. It wouldn't cost Marriott or its franchisees much, if anything, to have a standard definition of a "continental breakfast," especially when Marriott's limited-service Fairfield Inn brand offers a "continental breakfast" that exceeds some of the full-service properties.
Old Jan 11, 2018, 5:25 pm

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, AA Plat Pro
Just booked this hotel for 4 nights in April. We are super excited! I will also be very upset if breakfast isn't included. Anyone have recent experiences with the hotel?
Old Jan 12, 2018, 7:33 am

We had planned to stay there in October for 5 nights on points. Very disappointed to hear of the discrepancy over breakfast (you should not have to argue with management over this and the definition of 'continental' makes me nervous. We elected not to stay at the newer Marriott Venice island prop because of reports on how Plat guests were treated and now maybe a similar case here. I am hopeful that additional reports will start being posted by people who stay there. I have been please with Plat status generally but Marriott need to remain vigilant at enforcing perks.
Old Feb 13, 2018, 1:13 pm

Seeing some funky stuff for a room for one night April 15 - 16th. Rate comes up as $5465. Strange
Old Apr 16, 2018, 1:40 am

We are at the hotel now. The reason I was seeing funky rates is that Panerai is here for a convention and has the majority of the hotel booked.

We got upgraded to a premium city view room which had a nice large balcony. The hotel is very nice and much better than the Boscolo in Venice that we stayed at. For breakfast, you are given a coupon for the continental breakfast (26 euros) which includes various breads, juices, coffee, and pastries. It does not, however, include fruit. For 10 euros per person you can upgrade to the buffet which included fried eggs, bacon, sausage, fruit, and waffles. Also, one person at a table can upgrade while the other does not. We found the continental to be fine and only upgraded on days when we had long tours.

Overall, I am very pleased with this hotel.
Old Apr 16, 2018, 5:16 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by NDtraveler
We are at the hotel now. The reason I was seeing funky rates is that Panerai is here for a convention and has the majority of the hotel booked.

We got upgraded to a premium city view room which had a nice large balcony. The hotel is very nice and much better than the Boscolo in Venice that we stayed at. For breakfast, you are given a coupon for the continental breakfast (26 euros) which includes various breads, juices, coffee, and pastries. It does not, however, include fruit. For 10 euros per person you can upgrade to the buffet which included fried eggs, bacon, sausage, fruit, and waffles. Also, one person at a table can upgrade while the other does not. We found the continental to be fine and only upgraded on days when we had long tours.

Overall, I am very pleased with this hotel.
36 euros/$44 for a buffet is expense. Even 26 euros/$32 for a continental breakfast is pricey, especially if it's just bread, juice and coffee. Was there yogurt or oatmeal in the continental breakfast?

Regardless, this is against the Marriott Rewards elite terms and conditions, which require a hotel without a lounge to provide a "breakfast," not the "continental breakfast" required in North America.

No welcome amenity or complimentary cocktail?
Old Apr 16, 2018, 5:35 am

Thanks for the update NDtraveler, as I noted on your Boscolo Venezia review, we will be staying at the same hotels later this year. I really appreciate the update on the breakfast situation at the Sina, I am giving serious thought to taking the points and doing breakfast on our own. I am not a bread, pastry eater at breakfast - more a yogurt, fruit person. Although it may be worth it for Mr jtwiz to get his coffee fix each morning

Glad to hear you got a nice upgrade! We will be there 5 nights on points, so not expecting too much even as a Plat.
Old Apr 16, 2018, 5:41 am

Very expensive, but 10 euro upgrade for the buffet was fine by me. No welcome amenity or complimentary cocktail. I haven't checked out yet though so maybe they will take a drink off my tab.
jtwiz likes this.
Old Apr 16, 2018, 9:23 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by NDtraveler
Very expensive, but 10 euro upgrade for the buffet was fine by me. No welcome amenity or complimentary cocktail. I haven't checked out yet though so maybe they will take a drink off my tab.
You weren't offered a choice of points or an amenity at arrival?

Since the Marriott program is soon ending you should raise the issue about breakfast. Marriott terms say "breakfast" is included, not "continental breakfast" when outside of North America. I

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.