Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Art Ovation Hotel, Autograph Collection - Sarasota, FL [Master Thread]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 22, 2017, 12:34 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend
Original Poster

Programs: UALifetimePremierGold, Marriott LifetimeTitanium

Hotel website:

https://www.marriott.com/hotels/trav...ph-collection/

Opening December 2017. Cat 7. No exec lounge.

"We offer something unique to Sarasota, inspired and designed to engage the city’s thriving arts scene. With on-site art installations, performances, and workshops, our guests are invited to interact and be part of the experience. Never static, always evolving, creativity is encouraged and everything conventional is reinvestigated and reinterpreted."
Old Aug 22, 2017, 12:36 pm
Original Poster

Old Aug 25, 2017, 8:48 am

Excited about this. I would like to have another Marriott option in this part of town that's not the Ritz. Although I like it, I don't always want to spend the cash or points to stay there. Curious what the rates will be like.

(Though the merger means the Aloft and Westin are options as well.)
Old Mar 3, 2018, 2:28 pm
Original Poster

Opening March 2018.
Old Jul 18, 2018, 7:39 am

Has anyone stayed here yet? The reviews on the Marriott and TripAdvisor websites are super positive, curious to see what someone says on here.
Old Jul 19, 2018, 9:14 pm

My fiancé and I stayed here for a couple nights during Fourth of July week before moving over to the Ritz. The property is in a great location with a very friendly staff. They did a good job executing on incorporating Sarasota’s art scene. The rooftop pool and bar is a nice touch. Decent gym also.
Old Feb 13, 2019, 6:38 pm

Programs: UA MM, Premier Plat, Costco EM
Can’t decide between this hotel and the Sarasota Modern - both are the same price but this one is a Cat 7 v. Cat 5 for the other one - any thoughts?
Old Mar 8, 2019, 12:28 am

Programs: FB Platinum, Hilton Gold, Hotels.com Silver,
I am staying here in May so I hope I will be able to post a review.. by the way, having no status with Marriott (just Diamond on Hilton with stays) any way to maximize my Marriott points or get a match/challenge with them ?
Old Mar 9, 2019, 5:12 am
Suspended

Programs: Delta Diamond, Marriott Ambassador & Lifetime Titanium, Hertz President's Circle, United Silver
Originally Posted by SkiAdcock
Granted, it's a rendering but the pool seems very, very small in size compared to the rest of the rooftop. Hopefully, it at least gets sunshine for those who don't want to go to the beach.
Old Mar 11, 2019, 7:49 am

Programs: Aadvantage, Marriott, Starwood, Southwest
The pool is not huge... it shares space with the bar/rooftop restaurant area. There is a lovely view of Gulf/marina and downtown. Staff upstairs is wonderful and helpful... I was just there at the end of January for 4 nights, and family stayed there twice in February. It's a really cool hotel... with very helpful staff. The shuttle drivers were very nice, and were willing to flex the mileage requirement for my elderly mom. The hotel restaurant was just okay .... had breakfast there twice. First breakfast my food was cold... took quite a while to be replaced. Second breakfast... 8 people... at least 3 orders were wrong. It is located walking distance to many attractions, restaurants, shops, etc. I ended up walking to Starbucks for breakfast. Free coffee near the restaurant from 7 a.m. to 9 a.m.
Old Mar 11, 2019, 9:12 am

Programs: BAGold; AA3MMPlat; UA1MMGold; FBGold; MarriottAmb; AccorPlat; HHGold; ICPlatAmb; HyattDiscoverist
Originally Posted by ordogg
Can’t decide between this hotel and the Sarasota Modern - both are the same price but this one is a Cat 7 v. Cat 5 for the other one - any thoughts?
I have not stayed at the Art Ovation, but just finished a one-night stay at the Modern. As an Ambassador, I was upgraded to a suite, which was spacious, had a large shower stall, 2 sinks, kitchen and long balcony with a bathtub/shower in one corner and a small table & 2 chairs—no recliner or chaise lounge. The bed was comfortable, and I
liked the towels. Service was very friendly, and breakfast was good (though the $15 credit would not cover a full breakfast and coffee). I love mid century modern style, but some of their design decisions left me shaking my head. The hallways are very dark and gloomy, and the wallpaper in the elevator gave me a headache. The 3 pools are nice, but the sun beds are all right next to each other, so if it’s crowded you could find yourself lying next to a stranger. When I was there, they were blasting music not to my taste nonstop—I also heard it, but not horribly loud, in my room. It strikes me as very boutique, quasi-hip hotel. If you’re driving, the location won’t make a difference, but if you’re walking, it’s about 10 minutes to the very edge of the downtown entertainment/dining district, longer if you’re going, say, to Main & Lemon.
I think the Art Ovation is in a much handier location, and given the good reports I’ve heard, I’d be inclined to stay there, or return to the Westin, next time.
Old Jun 20, 2019, 7:03 am

Great hotel and service

I had a very pleasant stay here last week.

As a Titanium they offer either a cold/modest continental breakfast in the restaurant or points. I took the latter as I had a breakfast meeting. The service from the front desk was particularly good (I wish I remembered the lady's name who was so helpful). The room was spacious, modern, creative (I tried to strum the ukulele), and I love the Nespresso machine and proceeded to use up all the espresso pods! The only odd thing was that the rooftop pool bar closed at 10 PM. I mean I know it's Sarasota...but come on, haha!!
Old May 29, 2022, 7:26 pm
Marriott 10+ Badge

Programs: LH SEN***, Bonvoy LT Titanium
Art Ovation Hotel Review

Art Ovation Hotel, Autograph Collection

1 Review | 100% Recommended

1255 North Palm Avenue Sarasota, US 34236

Art Ovation Hotel Review (17 Photos)

I booked this hotel using points (39 K) for a one-night weekend stay with a friend of mine. We just wanted to have a night out and explore the area.

The hotel has artwork all over the place and interesting artwork outside. Definitely not a cookie cutter hotel.

Check In

We had entered in the app that we would check in early, around 13:30. The hotel was fully booked, so I was not expecting any upgrades. I asked at check in, but was told that they were sold out.

They offered me as a Ambassador two selections of amenities - $10 USD food an beverage credit or 1000 points (I chose the points - and - 750 points or continental breakfast (which is actually a 14 USD per person per day breakfast discount). I chose the breakfast option.

We received a welcome cocktail, which was unfortunately served in a plastic cup. It otherwise tasted good.

0ED7B364-4F7A-4E1A-B86A-6BF93A79EBB3.jpeg

The key is handed over in a rather nice wallet. Mobile keys were also issued, but I never used them.

C443F2BA-7F9A-4DA6-981E-4381D8FCBDD8.jpeg

A view of the lobby area, including some of the art work on display and for sale. Pieces were listed at 10,000 - 30,000 USD each.D6C5533E-0836-45F7-81E1-5B12A6650E13.jpeg

The destination fee includes daily activities.

Room

The room is well equipped. One of the quirks of this hotel is that part of your 28 USD (31.36 with tax) destination fee is a musical instrument in the room. We had a very out of tune ukulele. 

In the bathroom there are wall-mounted Molton Brown products. Plus points for not using single use bottles!

CBB4D4D2-0739-43DD-A604-5DC7C5F9067E.jpegA03B815C-1E75-4145-9508-441B1B73384C.jpeg24C088EE-DC44-48E4-9D7B-75B1D193A500.jpeg8A58969B-A4C2-4CFE-AA5F-1C4773646E44.jpeg506F6B01-718F-49F9-89BA-6F0BC58B97B5.jpeg0261897D-5726-492C-AF4E-757B15088795.jpeg

View from the room - "City View"D9DAD2D8-EC6F-44A1-ADEF-96870D216A3F.jpeg

Of four hotels I tried on this trip, this was the first one with a coffee machine!2AF3838C-740A-4518-BB16-50DF78D17414.jpeg

The items that were in the destination fee-perhaps the most useful one is the local shuttle. It operates in a range of 3 miles, which is far enough for the beaches and St. Armands Circle.

The website uses wording that could be interpreted as meaning all guests will be charged for parking at the rate of 20 USD. However, we were not charged for the parking. As a matter of fact we never were charged by the public parking garage we used (which should have charged us 20 USD).

I did get a welcome amenity with a handwritten note, which was nice. However, the seven grapes, melted energy bar and cheap potato chips seemed underwhelming. I though the apple and trail mix without the other stuff would have made a better impression.

918BBE84-53FA-4218-A1D3-B3F042C36087.jpeg

Dining

We only tried the breakfast at the hotel. You can order a la carte or take the buffet at 20 USD (++). The buffet includes a bottomless coffee. On the menu there is one continental breakfast option including coffee for 14 USD (++). This is the breakfast item you can get with the platinum amenity and have 0 cost.

My friend ordered from the menu. The presentation was good and he said it was tasty. I went for the buffet option.

After the 28 USD deduction, I think the final bill was 14 USD with tax and tip.

You can sit inside or on the outdoor terrace which has about 6-8 tables along the street. We went for the street option and found it very pleasant.

38611C66-C336-42EA-86E3-7A7B8E36AD84.jpeg

Entrance to the breakfast restaurant67933EC0-3542-4FF9-B43F-AB2A6D7CC5BA.jpeg

Menu page 25DA71AF4-697D-43F1-BEAE-8C2C06B009F0.jpeg

Menu page 1B7A3DC5D-58AB-4756-B4FE-4852182502BD.jpeg

Buffet selectionE913A1EE-6215-4916-9CAA-F825E0BFDC67.jpeg

From the a la carte menu

The hotel is well located to all of the city. I liked that it was not on one of the keys, where all the traffic is. It is a 45 minute walk to the Circle, but you can also take a 10 minutes Uber for about 10 USD or take the shuttle that is included in the destination fee.

Rooftop

The pool at the top is really small. With just about 6-8 people in it, it already looked too full. It was also a sunny, hot day and both me and my friend found it looked overcrowded and uninteresting. We did like the rooftop bar and planned on returning after dusk to see the nighttime views. However, that never happened as we had enough before we got back to the hotel and ended up going directly to the room.

Art Ovation Hotel Review

Would you like to write a review on the Art Ovation Hotel, Autograph Collection?

No, thank you.
Yes

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.