FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/marriott-marriott-bonvoy-766/)
-   -   Aloft Munich, Germany [Master Thread] (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/marriott-marriott-bonvoy/1861652-aloft-munich-germany-master-thread.html)

SunshineStay Aug 18, 2017 2:14 am

Aloft Munich, Germany [Master Thread]

I was surprised to find no master thread for the Aloft Munich, although it has been recognized in various other threads already (BRG, MAGC, etc.) and opened already in late 2015.

I recently stayed there and found it a good choice for a short stay. Here's a quick summary:
    The hotel is located directly next to Munich main station, right opposite of the Le Meridien Munich. It is therefore perfect for people that have business or leisure activities in Munich downtown. As main station is also the central hub for S-trains and underground trains, it is easy to get to from the airport via the S1 and S8 lines.
  • Check-In:
    Quick and easy. Took less than 3 minutes, though I must note that the lobby is quite active and turbulent.
  • Plat Recognition:
    I received a suite upgrade without using an SNA. ^
    I took the breakfast amenity instead of the 250 points.
  • Room:
    Nice and very modern. The walk-in shower was huge and the bed was quite comfy. There's a Nespresso coffee machine in the room, which I didn't use. One thing to note is that roughly 1/4 of all rooms point to Bayerstraße/Main Station, which is a very busy street. I don't know how loud those rooms are and how good their sound insulation is because I had a room facing the inner courtyard which was very quiet. If you are noise sensitive, then I would request one of the rooms facing the courtyard.
    The hotel is participating in "Make a Green Choice".
  • Facilities:
    I used the gym, which is pretty large for a hotel gym and very modern.
  • Breakfast:
    Breakfast was good, typical continental fare. They offer various cereals, fruits, pastries, sausages, pancakes, weißwürste (local sausage variety) and grilled bacon and a few other things. The service was quite efficient.
  • Overall:
    I would definitely come back. I like the modern look of the hotel and vibe&feel of the Aloft brand.

TravisMT81 Aug 18, 2017 10:47 am

Thanks for sharing, I am staying there next month!

joetro Aug 18, 2017 7:11 pm

Next weel here! Good review!

r_tsunami Sep 30, 2017 5:51 pm

Had a similar stay here to Sunshine State in August. Many more pics here on my personal blog.

I had a few open days in Europe before meeting my parents in Greece, and by chance Liverpool FC was playing a match against Bayern Munich at the Allianz Arena in Munich. I was looking for a city center place to crash and decided to cash in some points for a stay at the Aloft Munich.

https://static1.squarespace.com/stat...pg?format=750w

Check-In: I landed in Munich at 16:10, and hopped on the train into Munich HBF which took about an hour. The Aloft is right around the corner from the main station which makes the location really convenient. Check-in was pretty painless and took about five minutes. The Aloft employee was efficient, though not overly friendly. He didn't mention anything about Platinum benefits, so I asked. I had the choice of breakfast in the lobby or points; I went with the breakfast. Lastly, he mentioned that I had been upgraded to a "Sweet Suite" which sounded pretty awesome.

The Room: The room looked like the standard Aloft room around the world. It had a large, comfortable bed, a few bean bags, a couch, a desk and a TV in the "living area", with the bathroom, sink and closet on the other side of a divider closer to the entry door.

The room was spacious, but "Sweet Suite" might have been an over the top name. There were two windows that looked out on the train station, but were really good at keeping the noise out. I love the Bliss Spa toiletries at Aloft hotels and think they're pretty nice for a mid-market brand. Near the closet, there was also a Nespresso machine which is definitely a classy touch.

The only minor drawback was that even in the day time with the blinds open, the room stayed pretty dark.

The Property: Opened in August 2015, the property feels brand spanking new. The fittings in the room don't look run down at all yet and the lobby still feels modern. Past the check-in desk is a bar equipped with a pool table and a few bean bags. There is a also a small courtyard with colorful chairs that patrons can take their drinks out to.

It feels like an up-scale hostel, but not in a bad way. Past the check-in desk on the other side is the food shop / breakfast area called "Re:fuel" which has a continental breakfast in the morning and snacks for sale the rest of the day.

The Gym in the hotel is really nice and has all the essentials: treadmills, ellipticals, bikes, free weights up to 25 kg and a few benches. The machines were all working and there were only two other guests in the gym in my 3 visits. There was plenty of natural light and it was always kept at a comfortable temperature.

Breakfast was basically a spread of cold cuts, cereals, yogurt, coffee, tea, hard boiled eggs, juice and fruit. There were one or two hot items daily like bacon or eggs. It was a nice way to start the day and exactly what I was expecting

The Service: Overall, service was satisfactory, though slightly cold. One day I left my hotel room around 2 PM and hoped they could clean it at that time, but apparently they had already gone home for the day which seemed early. My only other main issue was during checkout I had noticed that I was charged for two breakfast, even though I chose free breakfast as my platinum amenity. This happens at a lot of properties and is usually a quick fix, but this time the person working the front desk refused to take the charge off and said to wait for her manager. Her manager wasn't returning for another hour, which was frustrating, but luckily I had some time to kill before heading to the airport.

I decided to grab lunch at one of the many amazing middle eastern restaurants nearby, before returning to speak with the manager. Eventually he took the charge off, but it just felt like an unnecessary charade.

Tsunami Says: The Aloft Munich is a perfectly serviceable property in the heart of Munich, though not a "destination" property by any means. It was easy to walk to many of the main sights around town, and a 45 minute train ride to the Allianz Arena. I had seen rates over $300 USD which didn't seem like good value, though a redemption of 10,000 SPG points seemed reasonable to me. I'd definitely consider staying here again for a business trip or a short personal stay.

MSPeconomist Oct 1, 2017 4:51 am

The picture looks like a nice room. USA alofts don't typically have seating other than a desk chair or two, the bench under the TV between the windows (which is more of a luggage rack than a place to sit), and the bed (plus the toilet of course). In fact, I've never seen a sofa in an aloft except in a real one bedroom suite.

r_tsunami Oct 1, 2017 3:04 pm

Originally Posted by MSPeconomist (Post 28879837)
The picture looks like a nice room. USA alofts don't typically have seating other than a desk chair or two, the bench under the TV between the windows (which is more of a luggage rack than a place to sit), and the bed (plus the toilet of course). In fact, I've never seen a sofa in an aloft except in a real one bedroom suite.

True the room was really spacious and well thought out. I guess the name "Sweet Suite" got me overly excited and had me expecting a separate living area :D. It was still a pretty nice stay!

joetro Oct 1, 2017 8:49 pm

I had a really good stay here in a normal room in August. Amazing location with train station across the street, easy access to airport, about 15 minutes walk north to all the museums and east to Marienplatz. Pretty big room for European standards. Only quibble: AC didn't cool the room down very much and it was hot to sleep some nights, I think mostly because of the vent positioning relative to the bed.

SingaporeJunkie Mar 9, 2018 9:59 pm

So I just reserved 5 nights during Oktoberfest for 40,000 points. Cash rates were $500+ per night.

Thanks Starwood!

nikehair Aug 2, 2018 11:41 am

I booked 1 night + 2 nights at this property because rooms were practically filled up for Oktoberfest. Had to call in for the first night, and the rate was 11k instead of 10k.

worldtraveller73 May 5, 2019 10:49 am

I completed a recent stay here and posted my experience on the FlyerTalk Trip Report forum.

The location next to the Munich Hautbahnhof is what makes this place convenient. It's much easier to access for a tourist traveler than the Arrabella Park properties. Having said that, it's standard Aloft fare. Nothing more and nothing less.

I would stay again if I were on my own. If I was traveling with my wife, I'd spring for the nicer Le Meridien Munich next door.

Ask for a room facing the back and it's a much quieter experience.

365RoadWarrior Jan 19, 2022 1:41 pm

January 2022, COVID-era stay. Obviously, the fantastic location is unaffected, other than to note that (with a COVID vaccination document), there are plenty of local restaurants and shops open. At the hotel, I (Titanium) was given a great room, access to a very-nice breakfast (buffet style, good selection), and excellent service. The fitness center was open, 24/7. The WXYZ bar seemed pretty-much "dead", at least up through my early bedtime, including Friday and Saturday.

Overall, especially considering the price, one of my best hotel stays in quite a while.

platbrownguy Oct 4, 2022 7:11 pm

I stayed here this past Friday through Monday for Oktoberfest. Rates were high but location was superb for Oktoberfest and for other related activities (walking to restaurants like the Paulaner Brauhaus or to nightclubs like Neuraum--which is fantastic). Staff was generally excellent except for a couple of surly agents on the morning shift... afternoon and evening folks were great, especially considering all the crazy drunks they have to deal with during Wiesn. Breakfast was quite good, bar was lively. And the hotel was able to arrange connecting rooms (which I needed on this trip), which they preblocked in an upgraded category on the top floor in advance -- much appreciated service which can be hard to come by at this level of property particularly during peak season.

hockeystl Oct 13, 2022 11:30 pm

Just wrapped up a stay as a lifetime plat.

Arrived early around 9am and the lovely front desk agent was able to get me checked in and also upgraded me to one of the six "suites" they have. I think the only difference between standard room and the suite was a couch and maybe an extra 100sq ft area in the room. Room was comfortable and clean. Used the fitness area and it was adequate. Breakfast still consists of various pastries, cold cuts, yogurts, cereals and a bit of fruit. Hot options included fresh scrambled eggs, a couple different sausage types, woefully undercooked bacon (yes, I know this is standard style here) and pancakes. And pretzels...haha, gotta love the Bavarian pretzels. Juice was from a machine and was orange or apple. Two espresso machines which were self serve.

As others have mentioned, the location is PERFECT if you'll be utilizing train service from Munich Central. I timed my walk from my room to the S train platforms and it was 8 minutes door to door. You can be from your room to the big trains in 6 minutes. All S lines run through Central and the longest I ever waited was 2 minutes going to Marienplatz - the heart of tourist related area in Munich.

Dachau was an easy, direct trip on the S line from Central. Powerful, powerful place. The U trains go straight to BMW Museum/Olympiapark area which is worth a visit. As an aviation nut, I had to also make a trip to the Flugwerft Aviation Museum. Some real cool planes and I thought it was worth the trip (S line to a connecting bus....about 45 minutes from Central station).

Highlight of Munich, for me, was my trip to Zugspitz and, WOW, it's a must. It was a bit of a journey (about 2.5 hours each way) getting there but well worth the trouble and time. Incredible views from the top and an exciting gondola ride. Be sure to buy the ticket from the DB office at Munich Central but allow ample time as there was almost always a lengthy line. Roundtrip was 73Euro.

Booked my ticket a few months ago on a flash sale DL ran for biz class to MUC. I wasn't sure which city to pick for my European trip but I'm quite pleased with what Munich had to offer.

Next stop is Zurich at the Park Hyatt. Black Crowes tonight at The Hall. Return to Munich on Sunday to catch a Bayern v Freiburg soccer game!

loganre17 Jan 14, 2024 6:45 pm

Had a good 2 night stay here at the start of this year. Friendly (very efficient) check-in. Seriously - it was 45 seconds all in. I was upgraded to a Loft room from the Urban room - can't tell the difference.

Comfortable bed, good working desk. Only complaint is that the shower water does spray outside. It ran all the way down my bathroom floor to where it meets the rug.

Breakfast was good. Coffee is available to go as well (always a nice touch!). Hot entrees were eggs, sausages, bacon. Bread station was good as were the cold cuts.

Overall - I'd definitely come back.