Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Solaz, a Luxury Collection Resort, Los Cabos, Mexico [Master Thread]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 6, 2018, 11:06 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend
Original Poster

Programs: UALifetimePremierGold, Marriott LifetimeTitanium

Marriott press release:

Solaz, A Luxury Collection Resort, Los Cabos Slated To Open In June | Marriott News Center

Opening June 2018. Category 6.

Excerpt from press release:

"The Resort:

The Luxury Collection Hotels & Resorts today announced the brand’s first hotel in Baja California Sur with the opening of Solaz, a Luxury Collection Resort, Los Cabos in June 2018. Solaz Resort is a beachfront oasis featuring a 128-room luxury hotel and 21 extravagant residences. Nestled on a coveted 34 acres overlooking the Sea of Cortez...Each masterfully designed guest room and suite at Solaz Resort features a private entrance and patio; custom, contemporary furnishings; and original art. Floor plans blur the lines between indoor and outdoor space, as private terraces provide unobstructed views of the Sea of Cortez...Celebrating art and design at every turn, Solaz Resort features original works throughout — all masterfully created by famed Mexican artist César Negrete...Six unique restaurants and lounges are designed for visitors with discerning palates....Solaz Resort features 50-meter infinity pools lining 1,246 linear feet of white sand beaches overlooking the Sea of Cortez. Each pool incorporates butterfly green granite, which emulates and seamlessly merges with the Sea of Cortez’s tranquil turquoise waters... State-of-the-art exercise facilities feature Technogym® equipment and group or personal fitness instruction, and the 10,000 sq. ft. Ojo de Liebre Spa offers 10 private treatment rooms and two VIP double rooms...Families visiting the resort can also take advantage of the children’s club.

The Residences:

Twenty-one exclusive residences at Solaz Los Cabos present the ultimate indulgence to those who enjoy the privacy of a home combined with The Luxury Collection’s bespoke amenities and services."

Hotel website: (no idea why it says somewhere in India; takes you to Solaz website)

Hotel in Bengaluru | ITC Gardenia, a Luxury Collection Hotel, Bengaluru
Old Mar 6, 2018, 11:08 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend
Original Poster

Programs: UALifetimePremierGold, Marriott LifetimeTitanium
Old Mar 6, 2018, 11:34 am
Hilton Contributor BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Bonvoy LT Plat, Hilton Gold, GHA Tit, BA Gold, Turkish Elite
6 restaurants for 140 rooms? Is the expectation the place becomes a major draw for non hotel guests?
Old Mar 6, 2018, 1:09 pm

Programs: Marriott Ambassador; AA EXP 3MM; AS MVP, Hilton Gold, CH-47/UH-60/C-23/C-130 VET
That looks incredible.

Hopefully, having two high end properties there will get the JW to up their game in terms of treatment of elites.

Rates in July at a random date were between $400 and $700 for rooms.
Old Mar 7, 2018, 6:42 pm

Programs: AA EXP,SPG 75
This is fantastic news. Marriwood properties were pretty lackluster in Cabo compared to the high-end properties there. This closes the gap.

We have not been on this side of Cabo, does anyone know if you can get the ocean without all of the death that comes with the other side of Cabo's oceans?
Old Mar 8, 2018, 2:47 am
Hilton Contributor BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Bonvoy LT Plat, Hilton Gold, GHA Tit, BA Gold, Turkish Elite
Originally Posted by YouGeeElWhy
This is fantastic news. Marriwood properties were pretty lackluster in Cabo compared to the high-end properties there. This closes the gap.

We have not been on this side of Cabo, does anyone know if you can get the ocean without all of the death that comes with the other side of Cabo's oceans?
For someone not familiar with Cabo - what is all the death that happens on the other side?
Old Mar 8, 2018, 6:21 am

Programs: Marriott Ambassador; AA EXP 3MM; AS MVP, Hilton Gold, CH-47/UH-60/C-23/C-130 VET

Have you stayed at the JW? I don't like the fact they don't upgrade elites at the Griffin Club and openly ignore the rules but the hotel is very nice, particularly the Griffin Club. I'd hardly call it lackluster but opinions may vary.
Old Mar 8, 2018, 7:47 am

Originally Posted by EuropeanPete
For someone not familiar with Cabo - what is all the death that happens on the other side?
Properties on the Pacific side have really dangerous undertow and swimming is forbidden less you want death as part of your vacation.

Originally Posted by C17PSGR
Have you stayed at the JW? I don't like the fact they don't upgrade elites at the Griffin Club and openly ignore the rules but the hotel is very nice, particularly the Griffin Club. I'd hardly call it lackluster but opinions may vary.
The JW is not even close to the same league as properties like Las Ventanas, Pedregal or Esperanza. Sure the JW is a fine property, but it is not really our cup of tea when going to Cabo. Solaz seems to be more "boutique" like the other properties I listed. Having an option to pay with points for a place like that rather than "all the monies" in Cabo is great.
Old Mar 8, 2018, 1:18 pm

Programs: MR-Amb, Hyatt-Globalist, AA-EXP
Originally Posted by EuropeanPete
I had the same question and read some reviews of the resorts in that same area. Unfortunately, it appears that the beaches in that area are also really dangerous and unswimmable.
Old Mar 8, 2018, 1:45 pm

The JW is not even close to the same league as properties like Las Ventanas, Pedregal or Esperanza. Sure the JW is a fine property, but it is not really our cup of tea when going to Cabo. Solaz seems to be more "boutique" like the other properties I listed. Having an option to pay with points for a place like that rather than "all the monies" in Cabo is great.
Well ... the hotels you listed are generally all well over $1,000 per night for a basic room. I certainly can't compare those hotels to the JW although I've heard good things about the Esperanza. I think you'll find very few Marriwood hotels anywhere in that price range. The Solaz seems less than half of the price of the hotels you listed and priced comparably to the JW so I suspect it won't be your cup of tea either.

That being said, its great to have another choice there. Certainly hoping they'll recognize elites better than the JW. And its obviously a much nicer property than the Sheraton and Westin.
Old Mar 8, 2018, 5:25 pm

Well ... the hotels you listed are generally all well over $1,000 per night for a basic room. I certainly can't compare those hotels to the JW although I've heard good things about the Esperanza. I think you'll find very few Marriwood hotels anywhere in that price range. The Solaz seems less than half of the price of the hotels you listed and priced comparably to the JW so I suspect it won't be your cup of tea either.

That being said, its great to have another choice there. Certainly hoping they'll recognize elites better than the JW. And its obviously a much nicer property than the Sheraton and Westin.
I know they can go for that price but it is usually the high season or short notice booking. Normally that is the price of a nice suite at those properties.

Just spot checked a couple of dates:
July - JW: $219, Solaz: $400, High End: ~$550
November - JW: $269, Solaz: $550, High End: ~$600-800
January 2019 - JW: $310, Solaz: $760, Esperanza: ~$650

I think you are underestimating Solaz. It is meant to compete in that high-end boutique space. That Jan 2019 date that is $760 a night has C+P rates for 10K points + $180. That is a fantastic deal.
Catskilltraveller likes this.
Old Mar 8, 2018, 5:49 pm

Certainly hoping they'll recognize elites better than the JW.
Well, until 2019 I think this is a guarantee.
Old Mar 8, 2018, 7:35 pm

I think you are underestimating Solaz. It is meant to compete in that high-end boutique space. That Jan 2019 date that is $760 a night has C+P rates for 10K points + $180. That is a fantastic deal.
That does sound like an excellent deal! I definitely want to check it out.

In terms of your rate comparison, I'll note that the Griffin Club in the JW base rates are significantly higher that the ones you quote. In my stays there, its usually in the 500-600 range. I suppose I should use some points. My irritation is that they tell me that elites don't get upgraded in the Griffin Club and I just don't feel like arguing about it in front of the GF.

And no ... this isn't a Marriott/SPG difference, my rates on upgrades with 150 nights a year are around the same. For example, the Westin PVR doesn't upgrade to suites even when empty but the Marriott PVR does.
Old Mar 8, 2018, 10:23 pm

Programs: AA Exec Plat, Starwood Platinum
....Westin PVR doesn't upgrade to suites even when empty but the Marriott PVR does.
Interesting - I have been to the Westin PVR three times on points and $ thoughtout the year booking the base room and been upgraded to their two level suites on the top floor all three times. It doesn’t compete with this hotel but is a nice stop prior to heading to the St. Regis Punta Mita when arriving in the evening - and they have always treated me fabulously as a platinum.
Old May 11, 2018, 9:26 am

I just received the worst "Sorry we aren't opening on time and need to cancel your reservation" email for my reservation at the end of June. I was offered the ability to book "discounted" rates at the JW or the Sheraton, but the rates are slightly higher than the lowest available rates for those dates.

I'm reaching out to say that's unacceptable and to ask if they can accommodate us at the same rate at another luxury property or cover our flight cancellation costs. If my only options are the JW, Sheraton or paying whatever the going rate is at one of the other top properties, I just want to cancel and move my trip elsewhere.

Anyone had any luck with being moved to a comparable property.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.