Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Bangkok Marriott Hotel The Surawongse, Thailand [Master Thread]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Dec 3, 2019, 8:50 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: margarita girl
Print Wikipost

Bangkok Marriott Hotel The Surawongse, Thailand [Master Thread]

Search this Thread

Old Apr 12, 2019, 9:15 am
Marriott 5+ BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP; Marriott Amb; Hyatt Globalist; Shangri-la Diamond; IHG SpireAmb; Hilton D; Accor G
Just checked in for a 4 night stay. Surprised this hotel was never on my radar. I don't mind the location as much as everyone, and the trifecta of club lounge + infinity rooftop pool + rooftop bar is hard to beat.
Old Apr 16, 2019, 1:17 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA PLT,AS,UA PP,J6,FB,EY,LH,SQ,HH Dmd,Hyatt Glbl,Marriott Plat,IHG Plat,Accor Gold
Originally Posted by Thunderroad
The useful reviews and discussion of this hotel are much appreciated. My wife and I might spend a night there in mid-December to cap off a vacation in Laos before flying home to California out of Bangkok. We've been to Bangkok several times before and don't need to do much touristy stuff, so the location might not dissuade us. A few questions:

1. If we wanted to grab a drink or meal outside by the river, am I correct in assuming that the best relatively close places to go to would be the Mandarin Oriental or the Royal Orchid Sheraton? Other nearby restaurants/bars/options?
2. We'd arrive in Bangkok at about 11 a.m. and fly out at about 11:15 pm the next evening (both weekdays). Any guesses of about how long a taxi to and from the airport should take?
3. If I'm correct that as a Platinum Elite I'd get a 4 pm check-out (does that rule apply?...I've lost track amidst the many merger matters), any thoughts on whether the hotel would let us hang out in the lounge, by the pool, etc. before we took off for the airport?
4. Above and beyond the generally favorable comments here, any impressions of Platinum treatment in terms of upgrades, other perks?

Thanks for any help!
Originally Posted by bluestrudels
1. If you are using the Mandarin and Royal Orchid Sheraton as pivot points for locations by the river, yes. I would say about 10 mins cab right with no traffic.
2. Depending on which airport you arrive in, Don Meaung is alittle closer to the city center than Suvarnabhumi Airport. But if there's traffic which is notorious in BKK, your 40 mins ride can go up to an hour or longer.
3. Correct, I'm sure if you ask nicely they will extend the lounge and hotel facilities after you check out. They are quite generous with elites based on my stay experience. (We checked in as Plat Premier, before it was renamed Titanium)
4. What perks specifically are you looking for? Our service was superb, building is new, staff are new and very motivated, upgraded to suite, amazing lounge with generous spreads throughout the day, and we kept getting snacks and treats left in our room. I don't know what else in terms of perks you are looking for..

We also spoke to the GM there in the lounge, he's was moved from another great property in the APAC region, can't recall, but he was highly favored by the other repeat guests we spoke with. So I'm sure you will be well taken care off..

Like many had mentioned, the surrounding area is a dead town at night, unless you take a cab to Silom which is the club/red light district. Pretty much getting any where requires a cab or tuktuk ride.
Originally Posted by kxc262
Recently stayed here and got upgraded to a 2-bedroom suite - YMMV though as my other recent stay, I only got a regular room. Property was great and service was great. Lounge service was very good and waiters were very attentive.

I landed around noon from the airport (BKK). Took a taxi and it was about 1 hour. Taxi fare was 360 + 75 in tolls.

Agreed with above. Not much to do in the area.
Originally Posted by EGW1
Just FYI, the Mandarin Oriental is undergoing pretty extensive renovations until October and last I checked mostly closed.
A belated but big thanks for these helpful replies, especially from bluestrudels. FWIW, not looking for any perks beyond the many nice ones described here (and of course not assuming any great upgrade, but will be happy if it happens).
bluestrudels likes this.
Old May 26, 2019, 11:47 pm

Programs: Some
Second stay, second upgrade to a Two-Bedroom Residential Suite. This isn’t the best hotel in Bangkok but I’m going to suggest it’s the best value. Best Marriott in the world.
Old May 28, 2019, 12:23 am

Originally Posted by lost_in_translation
Second stay, second upgrade to a Two-Bedroom Residential Suite. This isn’t the best hotel in Bangkok but I’m going to suggest it’s the best value. Best Marriott in the world.
the lounge here is also pretty decent for breakfast and evening offerings. The pool is amazing and the Rooftop bar is not bad. SNAs here you can choose up to a three bedroom suite (as well as the 2 bedroom and the M suite)
Old May 28, 2019, 7:18 pm

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP; Marriott Amb; Hyatt Globalist; Shangri-la Diamond; IHG SpireAmb; Hilton D; Accor G
Agree with best Marriott so far in my experience. It can be oddly expensive though.
Old Jun 12, 2019, 12:22 am
Hilton 25+ BadgeMarriot 100+ Badge

Programs: Hyatt Glob; Hilton Dia; Marriott AMB; Accor Dia; IHG Dia Amb; GHA Tit
Bangkok Marriott Surawongse = Generous Room Upgrade, Very Weak Breakfast Benefit

Bangkok Marriott Hotel The Surawongse

Map| 2 Reviews | 50% Recommended

262 Surawong Street Bangkok, TH 10500

Bangkok Marriott Surawongse = Generous Room Upgrade, Very Weak Breakfast Benefit (34 Photos)

I have been wanting to try Bangkok Marriott Surawongse for a while given the good reviews but I kept putting it off for a variety of reasons and instead I picked other hotels several times.  This time I found a Best Rate Guarantee which I was not going to pass up on, so I finally stayed at this property for the first time.  I would concur that this hotel is very good although like other places it is not perfect and I think the #1 rating on TripAdvisor out of 1000+ hotels in Bangkok is a bit overdone.  The quick summary is that room upgrades are among the most generous in the city, but the Platinum breakfast benefit is subpar.

Location of this hotel is a drawback for some guests and most other Marriott choices are better located in the city.  However as I mentioned in some of my other Bangkok hotel reviews, location is not that important to me when in Bangkok so having a “location discount” embedded in the price will normally match my needs better than high priced hotels in premium locations.  That said, I should mention that if someone intends to use taxis (which are cheap) rather than public transportation such as the sky train BTS, it should be less of an issue.  I consider the most central location in Bangkok to be the intersection of the two BTS lines = Siam station near Grand Hyatt hotel.  But let’s not overstate the “inferior” location of Marriott Surawongse; it’s only 3 km from Siam station so it’s not like you are completely in the middle of nowhere.  Also the hotel has a shuttle bus to bring guests to Sala Daeng BTS station which is 1.5km away.

IMG_3674.jpeg

Room

I booked the entry level room and a couple of days before my arrival I saw in the app that I was upgraded to the M suite as Ambassador elite guest.  Then the day of check-in I was further upgraded to the 2-bedroom apartment which I was very pleased with – all done proactively on the hotel’s part.  Our room was at the end of the hallway so very quiet and combined with the good soundproofing we did not hear a thing during our entire stay.  At 95 square meters this room is very spacious; while we did not need the second bedroom, we had two full bathrooms which is very convenient and is a feature that we only found in the suites at SGS before; suites at other hotels in Bangkok generally only have 1 or 1.5 bath.  One of the bathrooms was shower only and the other had a tub in the shower enclosure.  For people on a long stay, there is a washer/dryer in a closet which turned out to be very useful for us.  You can call reception and they bring detergent for laundry.  While St.Regis’s laundry benefit of 4 free pieces per person per day is hard to beat, having the ability to do our laundry ourselves beats all other hotels besides St.Regis.  The room also has a small kitchen with appliances, pots and pans so everything needed to cook, plus a full-size fridge.  The living room is between the two bedrooms and there is a dining room with a large table and six chairs.  The room is well designed and functional as can be expected from a new hotel (opened only one year ago) with international power plugs near the beds for example.  I also liked the local Thai designs on some walls and shower doors as well to avoid the room being bland cookie-cutter.  Amenities in the room had everything you need such as mouthwash, toothbrush, a razor, etc.; some hotels only have those on demand.  

IMG_3663.jpegIMG_3664.jpegIMG_3665.jpegIMG_3666.jpegIMG_3668.jpegIMG_3669.jpegIMG_3670.jpegIMG_3671.jpegIMG_3672.jpegIMG_3675.jpegIMG_3677.jpegIMG_3702.jpegIMG_3703.jpeg

Dining

The M-lounge on the 31stfloor has great views of the city and can be accessed 24 hours a day with the key card which is great if you have jet lag or want a bottle of water during the night. You can see Chao Praya river in the distance and the riverside hotels such as Sheraton Royal Orchid and Millenium Hilton.  There are three main sitting areas with good spacing between tables and several of them near the windows so if you arrive early you can have a premium spot.  There is also a large meeting room inside the lounge. We found the lounge to be quite popular and had a good number of guests, but it did not feel as crowded as some other hotels in Bangkok due to the table arrangement, particularly Marriott Marquis, and to a lesser extent JW Marriott and Renaissance.  

IMG_3679.jpegIMG_3698.jpegIMG_3699.jpegIMG_3689.jpeg

Happy hour is a generous 3 hours for drinks 5:30-8:30pm while hors d’oeuvres are 2 hours 5:30-7:30pm.  What is interesting is that they have a country theme each night for happy hour: the first night was American, the second Japanese, and the third was Italian (other days of the week that we did not go are Thai, Chinese, Mexican, and Indian).  While American was not exactly to our liking, however I can admit that food quality was good at the carving station with chicken, sausage, and sea bass, and also another dish of chicken with peppercorn sauce and a seared tuna salad. On Japanese night they had curry chicken with rice, miso soup, salmon, and stir-fry noodles with vegetables.  Italian night was more disappointing – there would be better Italian options than mac & cheese or meat balls with gravy.  They also had a chicken dish that was very similar to two days prior and not good pieces of meat.  For drinks they can prepare cocktails which I found to be a plus.  Also they have Nua sparkling wine which is the same as offered at Renaissance and now also at Athenee since they downgraded alcohol choices there recently.  There was a choice of 2 reds and 2 white wines which were ok – I was glad to find Pinot Noir which not many hotels have.  Desserts were plentiful and changed every night.  

IMG_3680.jpegIMG_3681.jpegIMG_3682.jpegIMG_3683.jpegIMG_3684.jpegIMG_3685.jpegIMG_3686.jpegIMG_3695.jpegIMG_3696.jpegIMG_3697.jpegIMG_3707.jpegIMG_3708.jpegIMG_3709.jpeg

The Platinum (and higher) breakfast benefit is unequivocally the weakness of this hotel.  You can have breakfast in the lounge but not in the restaurant, in addition the Platinum welcome gift choices do not include restaurant breakfast as an option, unlike other hotels in Bangkok for example at Athenee I sometimes forego the 1k points and instead I choose the restaurant breakfast.  At Marriott Surawongse it cannot be done.  I am aware that they are following the rules, but in this competitive market this is a drawback.  At Renaissance for example they decided to be more generous than the rules and they allow breakfast in the lounge OR restaurant and you don’t need to forego the points either.  If the lounge breakfast at Marriott Surawongse was as extensive as Renaissance’s lounge breakfast, limiting breakfast to the lounge could still be fine, but unfortunately it is not.  The offerings are quite modest, comparable to Grand Hyatt and Hyatt Regency Sukhumvit. At those two Hyatts I never have breakfast in the lounge despite the lounge being more quiet than the restaurant, simply because there is not enough choice particularly the lack of Asian options. The big difference is that both GH and HR give more than the Hyatt Globalist rules by allowing breakfast in the restaurant downstairs as an alternative to the lounge, unlike Marriott Surawongse.  Bottom line, all of this makes the breakfast benefit at Marriott Surawongse one of the weakest in the hotel chains that I know of in Bangkok (Marriott, Hyatt, Hilton, and Accor).  Of course you can pay 1300 THB for a couple for breakfast in the restaurant but Platinum guests having to pay for breakfast might not make a lot of sense; you would probably be better off spending that extra 1300 THB for a hotel with a higher price point such as one of the two Luxury Collection properties (SGS or Athenee) where you will enjoy a more luxurious hotel in addition to having free breakfast in the restaurant as a side benefit.  For guests who would not get free breakfast in the restaurant regardless where they go (Gold members or lower), then my comments above are probably irrelevant and breakfast won’t be as much of a drag on value.  Back to breakfast in the lounge, the choice of fruits is quite limited and there was nothing special for example no mangoes, no passion fruits, no pomelo, no berries, etc.  There are veggies but mostly cold, unlike many hotels which have a warm vegetarian dish such as morning glory or stir-fried veggies.  They have western choices such as sausage, bacon, and potatoes but that is not what I am looking for in Bangkok.  One of the rare positives about breakfast is the noodle soup station which was decent.  However there are no noodles / fried rice / fish dishes available in the lounge except at the egg station you can have an omelet with rice.  I have never been to Courtyard Bangkok but given reports that they allow breakfast in the lounge + restaurant, I suspect breakfast is better over there.  I have been to Royal Orchid Sheraton a few times and I can confirm that the lounge breakfast is better than at Marriott Surawongse by a long shot, not even mentioning that ROS also offers breakfast in the restaurant.  My takeaway is that Marriott Surawongse might have the weakest breakfast benefit of the entire chain besides perhaps Aloft and Four Points which I have never tried before.

IMG_3690.jpegIMG_3691.jpegIMG_3692.jpeg

Service

Service at the Marriott Surawongse was good particularly in the lounge where staff was friendly and helpful.  Housekeeping was done exactly at the time I requested each day with no miscues.  

Overall

Overall I found that Marriott Surawongse is a good hotel which has its place in the Marriott portfolio.  Room upgrades for elite guests are generous and if you value extra space then a suite upgrade at this hotel will likely be among the best you can have in Bangkok.  In all of Marriott, previously I thought Royal Orchid Sheraton was the hotel where I was the most likely to get a suite upgrade.  However I now think Marriott Surawongse might be a notch above because of its large number of 1-bdr apartments, 2-bdr apartments, and the M-suites. Odds of a suite upgrade at Marriott Surawongse are possibly on par with ROS or better, in addition the hardware you will get is definitely better at Marriott and more spacious too.  I would go as far as saying that room upgrades at Marriott Surawongse might be the best of Bangkok not only of all Marriott group hotels, but also of all Hyatt, Hilton, and Accor hotel chains.  As great as room upgrades are, the breakfast benefit might be the mirror image and one of the weakest I have seen – there are even some select service hotels where I would prefer their breakfast, for example DoubleTree for sure and maybe even perhaps Hyatt Place.  So Marriott has clear strengths and weaknesses - if location and breakfast is less important for some guests then I can highly recommend this property.  Location cannot be changed but if the hotel improved their breakfast policy this property would go up considerably in my relative rankings for Bangkok.

Bangkok Marriott Surawongse = Generous Room Upgrade, Very Weak Breakfast Benefit

Would you like to write a review on the Bangkok Marriott Hotel The Surawongse?

No, thank you.
Yes
Old Jun 12, 2019, 12:51 am

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Titanium, Hyatt Globalist
Great review, thanks. The breakfast benefit (or lack of) is a problem.

One question - do you know if the washer is in all rooms or only in the mega room you got upgraded to? I am about to embark on a very very long trip and wouldn't mind being able to do a wash in the middle of the trip. PA got rid of the washing (now pressing only) so the STR and this laundry seems like it might be worth it for me to check in for a night or two at a minimum.
GalaxyChris likes this.
Old Jun 12, 2019, 1:54 am

Programs: Marriott Bonvoy Titanium, BAEC Silver, TK Miles & Smiles Elite
Originally Posted by SHLTP

One question - do you know if the washer is in all rooms or only in the mega room you got upgraded to? I am about to embark on a very very long trip and wouldn't mind being able to do a wash in the middle of the trip. PA got rid of the washing (now pressing only) so the STR and this laundry seems like it might be worth it for me to check in for a night or two at a minimum.
Laundry would be your criteria for hotels on a long trip? It's Thailand. Baht50 per kilo on the streets. Take it in the morning and it will likely be ready in the evening. Or a minor Google search and highspeedlaundry dot com in Bangkok will pick it up from you and delivery back for Baht69 per kilo. I travel light in Thailand and always use local laundry places like this.
Old Jun 12, 2019, 2:06 am

Originally Posted by SHLTP

The washing machine is only in the apartments: 1, 2, or 3 bedrooms. The standard rooms or the M-suites do not have a washing machine if I am not mistaken.
Old Jun 12, 2019, 2:14 am

Originally Posted by ftrichard
Laundry would be your criteria for hotels on a long trip? It's Thailand. Baht50 per kilo on the streets. Take it in the morning and it will likely be ready in the evening. Or a minor Google search and highspeedlaundry dot com in Bangkok will pick it up from you and delivery back for Baht69 per kilo. I travel light in Thailand and always use local laundry places like this.
I know what you mean, and I cannot speak for @SHLTP, but I would not be comfortable dropping off my clothes "on the streets" and I feel better if handled by the hotel or washing my stuff myself. I am fully aware I am making my life more complicated and/or more expensive because of my mental blockage compared to your solution which probably works great for you. If I am alone with this opinion then I still would rather handle a friendly ridicule on FT when you are teasing me, rather than to take my clothes to the street
EuropeanPete and ftrichard like this.
Old Jun 12, 2019, 3:13 am

Programs: Some
Originally Posted by escape4
Introduction I have been wanting to try Bangkok Marriott Surawongse for a while given the good reviews but I kept putting it off for a variety of reasons and instead I picked other hotels several times. This time I found a Best Rate Guarantee which I was not going to pass up on, so I finally stayed at this property for the first time. I would concur that this hotel is very good although like other places it is not perfect and I think the #1 rating on TripAdvisor out of 1000+ hotels in Bangkok is a bit overdone. The quick summary is that room upgrades are among the most generous in the city, but the Platinum breakfast benefit is subpar.
A fair review, lounge breakfast here is definitely the other downside alongside the location. I've so far stayed here only for 1-2 nights at the end of a stay elsewhere in Bangkok, which when combined with an early flight and having probably eaten huge breakfasts several days in a row elsewhere means I haven't really cared that much about breakfast. The evening cocktail spread I find is well above average which slightly balances out the below average breakfast for Asia.

Regarding the TripAdvisor rating I'm not sure the average reviewer is considering how good the Platinum breakfast option is at this hotel (or even has lounge access), which probably explains it a bit!
Old Jun 12, 2019, 3:48 am

I've so far stayed here only for 1-2 nights at the end of a stay elsewhere in Bangkok, which when combined with an early flight and having probably eaten huge breakfasts several days in a row elsewhere means I haven't really cared that much about breakfast. The evening cocktail spread I find is well above average which slightly balances out the below average breakfast for Asia.

Regarding the TripAdvisor rating I'm not sure the average reviewer is considering how good the Platinum breakfast option is at this hotel (or even has lounge access), which probably explains it a bit!
The size of my pants is not changing while my waist size is growing, so it's a reminder when I get dressed in the morning that I should be wiser like you are, and temper my enthusiasm about the fantastic Thai food when in Bangkok. But I have come to the conclusion that I would be better off cutting back on happy hour rather than breakfast if I must choose one or the other

You are right about TripAdvisor. That said, if somehow we were able to filter out all non-elite reviews from TripAdvisor, and everybody without lounge access, I am not sure that Marriott Surawongse would necessarily be far ahead of a hotel such as Hyatt Regency Sukhumvit for example. Both are new hotels with nice hardware, one strength of Marriott Surawongse are upgrades, take it away if you are not elite and this hotel is very good but #1 out of 1000... probably it would not be. Most casual travelers would care about location more than you and I, and you would think it would hurt TA ratings?

If I did not have status and if I knew for sure I am not getting breakfast, no lounge access, and no upgrade, I think my hotel choice would be a nice hotel but with subpar elite benefits so what I "lost" would be minor, for example Banyan Tree. Perhaps Hyatt Place in a lower price range.
Old Jun 12, 2019, 7:00 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Thanks for the excellent review . . . confirming my lack of interest in this property
The TA ranking is due to fake reviews. The JW does this, too. It's become a serious problem with TA.
GalaxyChris and escape4 like this.
Old Jun 12, 2019, 9:30 pm

TA is a joke, not even worth looking at.

The breakfast here is fine, y'all are making too big a deal of it. Not like it's any better at the MMQP or Soi57. And sure the GH allows restaurant breakfast, but is a dreadful property so… I'll take the lesser breakfast over that.

Note that the inclusions on my rate at the Surawongse are amazing, including restaurant breakfast and 3x points (on top of usual bonus).
Old Jun 12, 2019, 11:44 pm

Originally Posted by helvetic
The breakfast here is fine, y'all are making too big a deal of it. Not like it's any better at the MMQP or Soi57. And sure the GH allows restaurant breakfast, but is a dreadful property so… I'll take the lesser breakfast over that.

Note that the inclusions on my rate at the Surawongse are amazing, including restaurant breakfast and 3x points (on top of usual bonus).
Lounge breakfast at MMQP is worlds better than lounge breakfast at Marriott Surawongse, not even mentioning that we can have "breakfast" at 2pm with the light lunch offered in MMQP's lounge in the afternoon when we wake up too late. There are certain things I do not like about MMQP for example weak soundproofing in the standard rooms but let's give credit where it is due: breakfast in the lounge at MMQP is not a weak point like it is at Marriott Surawongse.

So I stand by what I wrote: I have seen lots of elite breakfast benefits from four hotel chains in Bangkok and Marriott Surawongse ranks dead last, below even some lesser brands. I have not seen Soi57, Aloft, or 4P and perhaps they are worse, but even in that case we can safely say Marriott Surawongse is in the bottom quartile.

If you are having breakfast in the restaurant at Surawongse because of a special rate then I think we are simply talking about different things - I am not in position to disagree with you since I have not seen breakfast in the restaurant. What special rate are you referring to with 3x points and breakfast? Is it widely available? If Marriott Surawongse offered restaurant breakfast instead of points as the Platinum benefit I think they would fix a weakness very easily.

I did not intend to make it a bigger issue than it really is, bottom line it's breakfast and it has different value to different people, heck some people don't even eat breakfast. My purpose was to objectively bring up the subject and let each decide if this is something they care about or not. This hotel has clear strengths and weaknesses in my opinion and my review would not be complete if I swept something under the rug.
tomwhom likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.