Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Bangkok Marriott Hotel The Surawongse, Thailand [Master Thread]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Dec 3, 2019, 8:50 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: margarita girl
Print Wikipost

Bangkok Marriott Hotel The Surawongse, Thailand [Master Thread]

Search this Thread

Old Jan 6, 2019, 9:55 pm

Programs: Some
Originally Posted by shevboyz
​​​​​​The last time I was there , breakfast can be taken at the restaurant for platinum and it was very good. Did this change ?
Yes, there is an upcharge for restaurant now - I can’t remember the exact amount but 700-800 BHT per person I think.
Old Jan 6, 2019, 11:05 pm

Programs: IHG Diamond, Marriott Platinum, Hilton Gold, oneworld Emerald
Originally Posted by lost_in_translation
Currently lounging by the pool at Marriott The Surawongse, there are quite a few Chinese here but no large tour groups and this is probably the nicest Marriott I’ve ever stayed at (taking the crown from Marriott Taipei). If you can put up with the location, it might be time to decamp here. Service has been excellent and I was upgraded to a Two Bedroom Residential Suite on top of that. Currently this hotel is pricing above all the other Marriott options which appears to be keeping the tour groups away. Just a question of if you can handle the location.
Did you get this suite up from the basic room booked? Sounds really generous.

How do you compare Surawongse to Marquis (if location is ignored)?

P. S. Pricing differs actually, but JW is normally the most expensive (excl. ex-SPG hotels), while Surawongse costs the same as Marquis.
Old Jan 7, 2019, 7:13 am

Originally Posted by barracuda93
Did you get this suite up from the basic room booked? Sounds really generous.

How do you compare Surawongse to Marquis (if location is ignored)?

P. S. Pricing differs actually, but JW is normally the most expensive (excl. ex-SPG hotels), while Surawongse costs the same as Marquis.
Yes, I booked a basic room with points no less and was upgraded first to a one bedroom suite in the App and then at check in further upgraded to a two bedroom suite.

I'd rank this hotel above Marquis and also JW in terms of quality if ignoring location. Marquis really isn't my style in any case (too big / impersonal).

Agree when it first opened it was pricing around Marquis and below JW, but I don't think that's always the case any longer, on quite a few dates I was looking at over the next few months Surawongse was showing as more expensive than JW which is very brave given the location, but obviously YMMV.
barracuda93 likes this.
Old Jan 7, 2019, 7:19 am

Oh and just checked the welcome letter I was given - restaurant upcharge is 650 THB++ per person to eat in Praya Kitchen instead of the lounge with the Marriott dining discount to come off this (so 20% off for Platinum or higher). I didn't try to turn up anyway to see if I could get it waved, I just went to the lounge for breakfast.
Old Jan 7, 2019, 8:10 am

Programs: IHG Diamond, Marriott Platinum, Hilton Gold, oneworld Emerald
Yes, I booked a basic room with points no less and was upgraded first to a one bedroom suite in the App and then at check in further upgraded to a two bedroom suite.
I'd rank this hotel above Marquis and also JW in terms of quality if ignoring location. Marquis really isn't my style in any case (too big / impersonal).
Thanks, may try it then. Location is a pain, but I need to go to Apple Store in Iconsiam once in Feb to collect an item, so will probably use that opportunity.

I had high hopes for Marquis but did not enjoy it too much in fact. Nothing was specifically wrong, I got a Suite, but nothing spectacular too.

How is JW past renovation? I see it's rating is high now, and I seldom been disappointed with JWs previously (well, Changfeng Park one sucked).
Old Jan 7, 2019, 6:27 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LT PLT; QR GLD; Bonvoy LT TIT
Oh and just checked the welcome letter I was given - restaurant upcharge is 650 THB++ per person to eat in Praya Kitchen instead of the lounge with the Marriott dining discount to come off this (so 20% off for Platinum or higher). I didn't try to turn up anyway to see if I could get it waved, I just went to the lounge for breakfast.
I find this a bit pricey. The upcharge is nearly as much as the total charge for the full buffet breakfast at SGS if you don't get it as a benefit and have to pay for it.
Old Feb 18, 2019, 1:09 am

Programs: AA 8MM Exec,Life Plat, Marriott Amb,Life Titanium, ,Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Globalist.
I am finishing up my 4 night stay at the Suriwongse and I am quite impressed. I have stayed in all the SPG/Marriott hotels in Bangkok and this one only has one small negative.....and that is the location. AND it is not so negative as they have a free shuttle to the skystrains and taxi's are readily available and much is very close. I booked a deluxe room and was upgraded to a 1BR suite.....it has high ceilings a small kitchenette and a beautiful view over the city and the river...a huge bathroom as well. My bed is Heaven!!!! As a Titanium guest, I am allowed to use the club lounge which has panoramic views from the 31st floor as well as an outdoor terrace. In four days I can say that it is one of the finest Club Lounges in Bangkok. Last night was Charcuterie night.....Full pan of grilled veggies, a ham with crispy skin, beef ribs and a whole poached salmon......And this was without the salads in the fridge and cheese and hams with crackers etc. Easily someone could, and many did make dinner out of this, night before crab fried rice etc. Their bar setup was perfect and they show you when they are opening bottles of Absolut etc so you KNOW what you are getting. Other SPG properties I am convinced put cheaper vodka's in the $ bottles for happy hours etc.....they just taste so different. I congratulate the Suriwongse on being so transparent, there are many of us who do notice......Breakfast is ample, who needs the huge downstairs buffet? The club has Eggs Omelettes dim sum, noodles fruits and more bread then a pasty shop.....I am not a breakfast eater and am overwhelmed and nauseated in the AM.....ugh. Most important to me, Coffee and Tea is delicious. Also of note, the Manager has introduced himself on two occasions.....also an excellent sign that someone most definitely cares about this property and thus its guests.

Staff is everywhere and friendly always willing to help. There are also many new restaurants opening in this area, India Hut for Indian, 80/20 for creative Thai, Jua Bangkok for Japneesy styled food.....not to mention Sala Daeng and Patpong and Asiatique and the ladyboy show all a 5-10 minute taxi ride away. In a way depending on what you are planning on seeing it is a Excellent location. To each their own.

This property will be my hotel of choice when visiting the Kingdom.....as of now, it has much to offer. Safe travels. NYC
Old Mar 3, 2019, 10:28 am

Marriott surawongse Bangkok

Anyone have an insight which suite type is “”better”” at this hotel:

M Suite vs. Residential Suite

any insight?
Old Mar 27, 2019, 4:30 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA PLT,AS,UA PP,J6,FB,EY,LH,SQ,HH Dmd,Hyatt Glbl,Marriott Plat,IHG Plat,Accor Gold
Question

The useful reviews and discussion of this hotel are much appreciated. My wife and I might spend a night there in mid-December to cap off a vacation in Laos before flying home to California out of Bangkok. We've been to Bangkok several times before and don't need to do much touristy stuff, so the location might not dissuade us. A few questions:

1. If we wanted to grab a drink or meal outside by the river, am I correct in assuming that the best relatively close places to go to would be the Mandarin Oriental or the Royal Orchid Sheraton? Other nearby restaurants/bars/options?
2. We'd arrive in Bangkok at about 11 a.m. and fly out at about 11:15 pm the next evening (both weekdays). Any guesses of about how long a taxi to and from the airport should take?
3. If I'm correct that as a Platinum Elite I'd get a 4 pm check-out (does that rule apply?...I've lost track amidst the many merger matters), any thoughts on whether the hotel would let us hang out in the lounge, by the pool, etc. before we took off for the airport?
4. Above and beyond the generally favorable comments here, any impressions of Platinum treatment in terms of upgrades, other perks?

Thanks for any help!

Last edited by Thunderroad; Mar 27, 2019 at 5:14 pm
Old Mar 27, 2019, 7:26 pm
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by Thunderroad
The useful reviews and discussion of this hotel are much appreciated. My wife and I might spend a night there in mid-December to cap off a vacation in Laos before flying home to California out of Bangkok. We've been to Bangkok several times before and don't need to do much touristy stuff, so the location might not dissuade us. A few questions:

1. If we wanted to grab a drink or meal outside by the river, am I correct in assuming that the best relatively close places to go to would be the Mandarin Oriental or the Royal Orchid Sheraton? Other nearby restaurants/bars/options?
2. We'd arrive in Bangkok at about 11 a.m. and fly out at about 11:15 pm the next evening (both weekdays). Any guesses of about how long a taxi to and from the airport should take?
3. If I'm correct that as a Platinum Elite I'd get a 4 pm check-out (does that rule apply?...I've lost track amidst the many merger matters), any thoughts on whether the hotel would let us hang out in the lounge, by the pool, etc. before we took off for the airport?
4. Above and beyond the generally favorable comments here, any impressions of Platinum treatment in terms of upgrades, other perks?

Thanks for any help!
1. If you are using the Mandarin and Royal Orchid Sheraton as pivot points for locations by the river, yes. I would say about 10 mins cab right with no traffic.
2. Depending on which airport you arrive in, Don Meaung is alittle closer to the city center than Suvarnabhumi Airport. But if there's traffic which is notorious in BKK, your 40 mins ride can go up to an hour or longer.
3. Correct, I'm sure if you ask nicely they will extend the lounge and hotel facilities after you check out. They are quite generous with elites based on my stay experience. (We checked in as Plat Premier, before it was renamed Titanium)
4. What perks specifically are you looking for? Our service was superb, building is new, staff are new and very motivated, upgraded to suite, amazing lounge with generous spreads throughout the day, and we kept getting snacks and treats left in our room. I don't know what else in terms of perks you are looking for..

We also spoke to the GM there in the lounge, he's was moved from another great property in the APAC region, can't recall, but he was highly favored by the other repeat guests we spoke with. So I'm sure you will be well taken care off..

Like many had mentioned, the surrounding area is a dead town at night, unless you take a cab to Silom which is the club/red light district. Pretty much getting any where requires a cab or tuktuk ride.
Thunderroad likes this.
Old Mar 27, 2019, 7:52 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LT PLT; QR GLD; Bonvoy LT TIT
Originally Posted by bluestrudels
We also spoke to the GM there in the lounge, he's was moved from another great property in the APAC region, can't recall, but he was highly favored by the other repeat guests we spoke with.
Just curious, -- do you remember his name?
Old Mar 27, 2019, 8:08 pm

Programs: DL PM 0.5MM, Hyatt Globalist, HHonors Gold, SPG Plat, Marriott Gold, Avis PC, National EE, Hertz PC
Recently stayed here and got upgraded to a 2-bedroom suite - YMMV though as my other recent stay, I only got a regular room. Property was great and service was great. Lounge service was very good and waiters were very attentive.

I landed around noon from the airport (BKK). Took a taxi and it was about 1 hour. Taxi fare was 360 + 75 in tolls.

Agreed with above. Not much to do in the area.
Old Mar 27, 2019, 8:10 pm

Programs: SQ, BA, QR, Marriott Titanium & LT Plat, HH Diamond, Hyatt Globalist, Accor Plat, AmEx Cent
Just FYI, the Mandarin Oriental is undergoing pretty extensive renovations until October and last I checked mostly closed.
bluestrudels likes this.
Old Mar 27, 2019, 8:53 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA 2MM * Marriott Ambassador LT Titanium * IHG Diamond Ambassador * Hilton Diamond *
Originally Posted by Dr. HFH
Just curious, -- do you remember his name?
Unless there was a recent change, it is George Varughese aka georgev2273 (on TA).

https://www.linkedin.com/in/george-varughese-46baba24/
Old Mar 28, 2019, 12:03 am
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by UASPG
Unless there was a recent change, it is George Varughese aka georgev2273 (on TA).

https://www.linkedin.com/in/george-varughese-46baba24/
Yup! You that's the GM. The hotel opened about 10 months ago, so don't think there's any changes thus far.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.