Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Bangkok Marriott Hotel The Surawongse, Thailand [Master Thread]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Dec 3, 2019, 8:50 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: margarita girl
Print Wikipost

Bangkok Marriott Hotel The Surawongse, Thailand [Master Thread]

Search this Thread

Old Feb 26, 2018, 8:34 am
Original Poster

Programs: UA 2MM * Marriott Ambassador LT Titanium * IHG Diamond Ambassador * Hilton Diamond *
"OPENING IN MARCH 2018"

but it seems that, for the time being, they are only accepting reservations starting April 5th.

For that month, the rates that I saw were ranging from THB 4,043++ to THB 4,998++, with a couple of nights priced at THB 6,218++.

Bangkok Marriott Hotel The Surawongse: Bangkok hotel accommodations
Old Mar 5, 2018, 5:35 am

Originally Posted by UASPG
"OPENING IN MARCH 2018"

but it seems that, for the time being, they are only accepting reservations starting April 5th.

For that month, the rates that I saw were ranging from THB 4,043++ to THB 4,998++, with a couple of nights priced at THB 6,218++.

Bangkok Marriott Hotel The Surawongse: Bangkok hotel accommodations
And the opening ‘special’ rate offers include free breakfast, 500Baht FB credit per day ( presumably not accumulative) and 3000 bonus points.
I got stuck in a jam yesterday : the last 200 metres of Siphya Rd to rurn into Rama 4 took 25 minutes. Surawong looked similarly gridlocked. Even so, I’m tempted by the look of this property.
Old Mar 5, 2018, 11:12 pm

Programs: Marriott Bonvoy Titanium, BAEC Silver, TK Miles & Smiles Elite
Originally Posted by joykid
@Srisarin @LF72

That's sounds incorrect. I have done research and this new Surawong hotel located in Silom area:

What's Good:
- Great restaurants
- Patpong (the iconic night market and red light district of Bangkok)
- Downtown location
- Easy BTS, MRT and taxi access for convenient travel . Stations: Sam Yan, Silom, Sala Daeng

What’s Not So Good:
- Lacking in culture
- Sidewalks are congested at night (but it's ok for me as I want lively areas)
- Traffic past 17:00 can be congested (it's ok too because I am not gonna be driving anyway)
We drove past it after checking out of Le Meridien Bangkok a few weeks ago. The items you list under “what’s good” could easily be titled “what’s a lot better at most other Marriott/SPG properties”. It’s a residential area not a foodie area. It’s some 15-20 minutes walk at a good pace from Patpong. This location is emphatically *not* downtown Bangkok. It’s not near or comfortable walking distance from any of the public transport options you mention.

For me, factual good points include that it’s brand new, the owner has form in building quality hotels and many of the staff have good reputations from other Marriott/SPG properties in Bangkok.

The rate would have to be around Royal Orchid Sheraton rates (which has a river view at least) for me to consider this location.
Old Mar 21, 2018, 10:41 pm

This hotel for Songkran

Hi friends,
I am going to Bangkok for Songkran this April. Based on my research, Silom will be a good place to go for Songkran and this hotel seems to be in Silom. The thing you said about the traffic around this hotel concerns me a lot.
Should I risk it and book this hotel?

Thanks
Old Mar 22, 2018, 5:44 am
Suspended

Programs: HH-D; MR-P/LTP; SPG-P
The reason this hotel is named Marriott Surawong is that it’s on Surawong, not Silom which is a parallel street.

Don’t know of any Songkran activities on Surawong, but I do know that the afternoon traffic here (and my law office is here) isn’t very good and at times can be very bad.

Although traffic might be a little lighter over the office area companies closing for 5-days, I’m personally leaving for sakura festival in Japan (for 10-days)

Originally Posted by JustinHuang
Hi friends,
I am going to Bangkok for Songkran this April. Based on my research, Silom will be a good place to go for Songkran and this hotel seems to be in Silom. The thing you said about the traffic around this hotel concerns me a lot.
Should I risk it and book this hotel?

Thanks

Old Mar 22, 2018, 8:00 am

Thank you, Srisarin.
What is the main transportation people use in Bangkok? I noticed this hotel is about 1km away from Chong Nonsi. It seems pretty walkable.
About that 5-day close, does it mean all sight of seeing will be closed?

BTW, I will come to Bangkok from Japan. I am looking forward to the Sakura festival too.

Originally Posted by Srisarin
The reason this hotel is named Marriott Surawong is that it’s on Surawong, not Silom which is a parallel street.

Don’t know of any Songkran activities on Surawong, but I do know that the afternoon traffic here (and my law office is here) isn’t very good and at times can be very bad.

Although traffic might be a little lighter over the office area companies closing for 5-days, I’m personally leaving for sakura festival in Japan (for 10-days)

Old Mar 22, 2018, 8:32 am
Suspended

Walking is not a Thai trait. Taxi, motorcycle taxi, tuk tuk, public transport, private car.

Although all the usual sites will be open, hours might be curtailed due to staff on Songkran leave.
Businesses, excluding hotels/restaurants and normal shopping centers, will be the most affected, but mom and pop shops generally close due to staff heading home.

Bring your goggles !!!!!

It will be hot and humid so be prepared. That’s why I’m headed north - mainly Kyoto/Lake Biwa

Thank you, Srisarin.
What is the main transportation people use in Bangkok? I noticed this hotel is about 1km away from Chong Nonsi. It seems pretty walkable.
About that 5-day close, does it mean all sight of seeing will be closed?

BTW, I will come to Bangkok from Japan. I am looking forward to the Sakura festival too.
Old Mar 22, 2018, 9:15 am

Lake Biwa is fancy... I am jealous.

One last question. I am debating between this Marriott Surawongse and Courtyard Bangkok (155/1 Soi Mahadlekluang 1, Ratchadamri Road, Khwaeng Lumphini, Khet Pathum Wan, Krung Thep Maha Nakhon 10330, Thailand).
From location perspective, could you please provide some insights on these two hotels?

Thank you.

Walking is not a Thai trait. Taxi, motorcycle taxi, tuk tuk, public transport, private car.

Although all the usual sites will be open, hours might be curtailed due to staff on Songkran leave.
Businesses, excluding hotels/restaurants and normal shopping centers, will be the most affected, but mom and pop shops generally close due to staff heading home.

Bring your goggles !!!!!

It will be hot and humid so be prepared. That’s why I’m headed north - mainly Kyoto/Lake Biwa

Old Mar 22, 2018, 5:18 pm
Suspended

IMO, no comparison - hands down, stay at the CY (which is one Soi from my residence of 18 years).

CY has Exec Lounge and gives you breakfast choice in lounge or restaurant. Tuk tuk to BTS (in front of St Regis Rajadamri). Easy walk to Rajaprasong monument, by skywalk to Central World Mall and/or Central Chidlom/Embassy so MANY restaurant choices , shopping, etc vrs Marriott Surawong which has nothing, and I mean nothing nearby.

Have done the Osaka/Nara/Himeji/Kyoto over several sakura trips so added Lake Biwa for most of this trip to tour a new area (seperate trips to Sapporo area during Jan snow festivals) as haven’t been before (and lucked out with the addition of the converted Marriott)

Lake Biwa is fancy... I am jealous.

One last question. I am debating between this Marriott Surawongse and Courtyard Bangkok (155/1 Soi Mahadlekluang 1, Ratchadamri Road, Khwaeng Lumphini, Khet Pathum Wan, Krung Thep Maha Nakhon 10330, Thailand).
From location perspective, could you please provide some insights on these two hotels?

Thank you.
Old Mar 23, 2018, 9:13 am

This is really helpful advice. Hands down, CY it is. (Also saved me decent bucks)

I am going to Japan for the first time, before coming to Bangkok. I am going to do Tokyo and Kyoto during sakura season. So looking forward to it.
Wish you a great trip to Japan.

IMO, no comparison - hands down, stay at the CY (which is one Soi from my residence of 18 years).

CY has Exec Lounge and gives you breakfast choice in lounge or restaurant. Tuk tuk to BTS (in front of St Regis Rajadamri). Easy walk to Rajaprasong monument, by skywalk to Central World Mall and/or Central Chidlom/Embassy so MANY restaurant choices , shopping, etc vrs Marriott Surawong which has nothing, and I mean nothing nearby.

Have done the Osaka/Nara/Himeji/Kyoto over several sakura trips so added Lake Biwa for most of this trip to tour a new area (seperate trips to Sapporo area during Jan snow festivals) as haven’t been before (and lucked out with the addition of the converted Marriott)

Old Apr 13, 2018, 9:08 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA 2MM * Marriott Ambassador LT Titanium * IHG Diamond Ambassador * Hilton Diamond *
From April 5 - June 28, 2018, book our "Opening Offer" package

The hotel seems to take an additional step to try to fill up his rooms. But also, those Opening Offers are pretty customary.

https://www.marriott.com/rewards/mes...39&co=US&nt=PH

Last edited by UASPG; Apr 13, 2018 at 9:15 pm
Old Apr 14, 2018, 1:17 am

Wow, so is it still a good idea to stay there, if location is not convenient?
Old Apr 14, 2018, 8:46 am

Programs: UA Life Gold, Marriott Life Titanium
Joykid, there are two issues here. The one that's been discussed is huge - location. If you haven't been to Bangkok before, you simply need to understand that a 1km walk is going to take a lot longer there than in London or New York or Tokyo. If you're the type that leaves a hotel once a twice a day for touristy stuff, then spends the rest of the time lounging around the hotel, it might be a good fit.

However, you have the second issue - this is a totally new hotel. Service might be good, or it could be a disaster with a new staff getting up to speed. The rooms might be awesome, or they might still be working out the kinks on the air conditioning, internet, TV, elevators, etc.
Old Apr 14, 2018, 1:38 pm

Programs: DL:MM, Marriott:LTT
Originally Posted by catocony
Joykid, there are two issues here. The one that's been discussed is huge - location. If you haven't been to Bangkok before, you simply need to understand that a 1km walk is going to take a lot longer there than in London or New York or Tokyo. If you're the type that leaves a hotel once a twice a day for touristy stuff, then spends the rest of the time lounging around the hotel, it might be a good fit.

However, you have the second issue - this is a totally new hotel. Service might be good, or it could be a disaster with a new staff getting up to speed. The rooms might be awesome, or they might still be working out the kinks on the air conditioning, internet, TV, elevators, etc.
I hate to be selfish, but I am waiting for others to stay there first and provide some feedback. Agreed that if someone is going to Bangkok for the first time this is NOT the right place.
Old May 16, 2018, 6:36 am

Beautiful!

Hotel’s rooftop bar above the Shanghai-Cantonese restaurant on 32nd floor is now open! Absolutely beautiful.

NoY, CJKatl and CL9 like this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.