Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

The Tokyo EDITION Toranomon, Minato-ku, Tokyo [Master Thread]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

The Tokyo EDITION Toranomon, Minato-ku, Tokyo [Master Thread]

Search this Thread

Old Oct 13, 2020, 4:46 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: JAL Metal Card (OWE), SAS Eurobonus Gold (*G), Marriott Titanium (LTP), Tokyu Hotels Platinum
Originally Posted by SkyElite
The thing with ALL Edition hotels is -- bland. I mean, RC Nikko and Kyoto also use wood prevalently, but they are a lot more beautiful.

Edition has always given me the feeling of "westerner trying to be oriental/ philosophical but only manages to scratch the surface, but its ok let's just market it as uber upscale simplicity" kinda brand.
The Edition I stayed the most at is London, and I have always been very happy with those stays. The design of the rooms is very minimalist, and they do seem far more bland in photographs than they are in the real world.
The lobby, the bars, and the restaurant in London are amazing.

I know London is a hotel market that is dominated by expensive and fairly poor hotels, so it is easy to comparatively shine, but the London Edition is an outstanding hotel, also on a more global scale. I look forward to seeing what Tokyo has to offer. Going for a 5 night stay over the coming weekend.
Radiation Station likes this.
Old Oct 13, 2020, 7:50 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by anchor79
The room pictures feel very Hyatt - Place like while charging the top price and no elite benefits. For the same point value, I feel Prince Gallery / Ritz Carlton is a better bet for the money.
I think I would have easily agreed with you before the PG stopped giving Bonvoy elites lounge access. At PG, suite upgrades are unlikely, even for a AMB/LTT trying to use SNAs. and there are no easily available significant upgrades otherwise, as there are a few deluxe rooms and a few rooms with views that are considered to be better than standard rooms.

I wonder how the Edition will compare to the Hyatt Andaz in the same neighborhood.
Old Oct 13, 2020, 11:41 pm

Programs: AC 25K, AS MVP Gold, BA Bronze, UA Silver, Marriott Titanium, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
I think I would have easily agreed with you before the PG stopped giving Bonvoy elites lounge access. At PG, suite upgrades are unlikely, even for a AMB/LTT trying to use SNAs. and there are no easily available significant upgrades otherwise, as there are a few deluxe rooms and a few rooms with views that are considered to be better than standard rooms.

I wonder how the Edition will compare to the Hyatt Andaz in the same neighborhood.
My upgrade rate to Grand Corner King at the PG is nearly 100%. At other hotels that room would be categorized as a Jr. Suite and it's one of my favorite rooms in Tokyo, up there with the Aman. Returning guest, YMMV. Also PG doesn't take SNAs at all

I remain really excited to try this hotel. Corp rate < 40k JPY. No idea when I'll be able to visit though.
Old Oct 14, 2020, 3:54 am

Programs: World of Hyatt Globalist; Marriott Bonvoy LTP; IHG Plat
Will there be 2 Editions in Tokyo?
Old Oct 14, 2020, 4:18 am
Hyatt Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: Qatar Airways, Hyatt, Hilton, Marriott, IHG
Originally Posted by 3rdworldresident
Will there be 2 Editions in Tokyo?
Yes - there’s a second one under construction in Ginza behind the Itoya store on the corner of Azumi and Ginza Maronie-dori streets. 13 floors, 80 rooms, rooftop bar, opens next year.

khabah
Old Oct 14, 2020, 8:12 am

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
It's a bit curious that both companies' supposedly young and hip brands have located in such a dead neighborhood.
Originally Posted by khabah
Yes - there’s a second one under construction in Ginza behind the Itoya store on the corner of Azumi and Ginza Maronie-dori streets. 13 floors, 80 rooms, rooftop bar, opens next year.
Much more interesting location IMO (and more fitting with the Edition concept).
Old Oct 14, 2020, 7:23 pm

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by nexusCFX
My upgrade rate to Grand Corner King at the PG is nearly 100%. At other hotels that room would be categorized as a Jr. Suite and it's one of my favorite rooms in Tokyo, up there with the Aman. Returning guest, YMMV. Also PG doesn't take SNAs at all

I remain really excited to try this hotel. Corp rate < 40k JPY. No idea when I'll be able to visit though.
At PG, I've just gotten the larger deluxe (I forget what the room category is called) non corner rooms, and since they stopped giving AMB/LTT lounge access, I will *not* be a returning guest anymore.
Old Oct 17, 2020, 7:43 am

At PG, I've just gotten the larger deluxe (I forget what the room category is called) non corner rooms, and since they stopped giving AMB/LTT lounge access, I will *not* be a returning guest anymore.
I agree. Fantastic hotel. But the lack of future lounge access leaves a bitter taste. Sadly, I'm also in the not returning camp.
Old Oct 20, 2020, 10:06 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

I've seen pictures on Instagram. Rooms would probably be called Zen-like understated luxury or just austere to me. The bottom floor lobby is an eye straining black marble like some 1980s office buildings. Not very warm or welcoming at all.
Old Oct 21, 2020, 1:22 am

Programs: Some
Originally Posted by CPH-Flyer
The Edition I stayed the most at is London, and I have always been very happy with those stays. The design of the rooms is very minimalist, and they do seem far more bland in photographs than they are in the real world.
The lobby, the bars, and the restaurant in London are amazing.

I know London is a hotel market that is dominated by expensive and fairly poor hotels, so it is easy to comparatively shine, but the London Edition is an outstanding hotel, also on a more global scale. I look forward to seeing what Tokyo has to offer. Going for a 5 night stay over the coming weekend.
Eh? Unless you’re just talking about Marriott here then this is complete rubbish and London has many superb hotels, it’s just very few / none of them are part of major chains; sounds like you’re staying at completely the wrong hotels. Similarly, the restaurant and bar at the EDITION are nowhere near making a list of the 100 best of either in the city.
Old Oct 21, 2020, 1:56 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: JAL Metal Card (OWE), SAS Eurobonus Gold (*G), Marriott Titanium (LTP), Tokyu Hotels Platinum
I have just completed a 5 night stay here.

I can see why some people would feel that rooms and corridors are rather utilitarian for a luxury hotel. But everything is made very well, with high quality materials and furniture, so while the computer graphics currently shown on the website may seem a bit bare it is a very nice hotel. While a lot of design elements are along the lines of the brand identity, it is certainly not the same as any other Edition I have stayed.

I had booked a Studio Terrace room, at check in they mentioned that they had no suites with a terrace or balcony available for the stay, and asked if I preferred to keep the booked room. Which I did.

The rooms with terrace are on lobby level opposite side of the bar, meaning the terrace is not on the sunny side of the building, in October that's a bit chilly, but in July August, I think that will be a great concept. The room was very Edition, very sleek and stylish. But also very comfy.

The lobby has far more greenery that on the website pictures, but it gives a nice vibe. Currently the lobby bar and the Blue Room restaurant is open. The outdoor section and restaurant next to it is still closed.

The gym is not big, but has all you need. It is open 24/7. The pool is a bit on the small side, but nicely done.

The lobby has some great bartenders, The Blue Room is not super exciting for lunch and dinner, but it is high quality items. Breakfast at the Blue Room is all a la carte. Not just for Covid-19 it seems, there is no space for a buffet. Items are excellent, if quite pricey. The size of the main items are oddly variable, some very small, others really big.

The staff are excellent, the Ritz Carlton training shows. They put an effort in to knowing guests' names and why they are staying and what they are doing to make the stay more personal. If course it helps that occupancy is quite low. But even for the soft opening days, everything was working very well.
I was staying for my birthday, and basically everyone on staff knew and wished me a happy birthday. In the evening we asked for an ice bucket to chill a bottle of champagne we brought, about an hour after bringing it (just about when a bottle would be chilled) they arrived with a very nice charcuterie board to go with the bottle as another little birthday surprise.

All in all, I was very happy with the stay. The staff clearly make the place. If you are looking for opulent over the top decor in a luxury hotel, this is not is. But as luxury hotels go, they do deliver on service and amenities.

Old Oct 21, 2020, 10:15 am

Programs: QF WP, AA EXP
Wow, really like the Terrace Room. That patio is great. Will need to give this a shot over my usual Andaz stay whenever I'm allowed back to Japan.
Old Oct 21, 2020, 10:30 am
Hyatt Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: Qatar Airways, Hyatt, Hilton, Marriott, IHG
I’m positively racked with envy that you’re in Japan, CPH-Flyer. Enjoy, and thanks for the review!

That terrace room is an overwhelmingly huge YES, my goodness. And the photos of the food - particularly the pancakes - reminds me of Japan’s incredible ability to produce the most pillowy, abundantly soft baked goods ever. How I miss that country!

That pool, however, looks grim. Still not a fan of the austere rooms common to all EDITIONs, but possibly one to consider for the next TYO trip - if only for the experience of a private, open-air terrace overlooking Tokyo Tower.

khabah
MSPeconomist likes this.
Old Oct 21, 2020, 12:26 pm

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
That pool, however, looks grim.
Indeed. A far cry from the PH.
MattEvan likes this.
Old Oct 21, 2020, 4:05 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I’m positively racked with envy that you’re in Japan, CPH-Flyer. Enjoy, and thanks for the review!

That terrace room is an overwhelmingly huge YES, my goodness. And the photos of the food - particularly the pancakes - reminds me of Japan’s incredible ability to produce the most pillowy, abundantly soft baked goods ever. How I miss that country!

That pool, however, looks grim. Still not a fan of the austere rooms common to all EDITIONs, but possibly one to consider for the next TYO trip - if only for the experience of a private, open-air terrace overlooking Tokyo Tower.

khabah
Japan is home at the moment, the handle refers to my former and original home.

Yeah, the pool is not impressive. Seems a bit of an after thought. Then again, I am not going to spend much time at the pool on a city stay, a quick swim or use the jacuzzi after the gym. But a view would have been nice.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.