FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/marriott-marriott-bonvoy-766/)
-   -   The Blackstone, Autograph Collection, Chicago, IL [Master Thread] (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/marriott-marriott-bonvoy/1853007-blackstone-autograph-collection-chicago-il-master-thread.html)

cyclogenesis Jan 23, 2015 8:37 am

Please do! We decided to go to the Mag Mile last time.. Hotel was nice.. Room, not so (horrid shower)..

I only have the Autograph and the JW to scratch off the list..

Done:
Springhill
Both courtyards
RI
Mag Mile
Ren Blackstone
Ren on the river

rflor Jan 25, 2015 12:12 pm

As promised, here's my review of the Hotel Chicago after our stay there last night.

1. As others have noted, this could be on of the easiest hotels to drive to in Chicago. The driveway is a pull-through from State to Dearborn, so it's very simple to get in and out. Only downside I could see is if you're arriving at the hotel at same time as a House of Blues event, as both share the same driveway and things could get to.

2. They are not done with the lobby renovations, so you're redirected to a temporary check-in by the elevators. It makes for a crowded space when you have multiple parties checking in along with elevator traffic, as was the case for us last night.

3. I asked for an upgrade from our "King Deluxe", but there were none to be had. The desk agent was nice and apologetic, explaining that there are two floors of suites "out of inventory" due to the room renovations, which is limiting upgrade availability.

4. We had a "2 for breakfast" rate. There is no functioning restaurant in the hotel outside of "grab and go" in the lobby, so the agent explained we get $60 to use towards rooms service, brunch at Smith and Wollensky, Gospel brunch at House of Blues, or one other restaurant I cannot recall. He explained all three permit room charges. If we didn't use the credit, it'd just go as a credit against the room charges. We were leaving early this am, so we took the room credit and grabbed breakfast at Sixteen over in the Trump (which was awesome in its own right).

5. Lounge was closed, so I have nothing to report there, except I got my 750 points.

6. The room itself was disappointing. I do not know how far along they are with the refurbishments, but if the bathroom is indicative of their final state...they have a problem on their hands. As my wife said, "clearly they didn't have a businesswoman provide input into the bathroom layout." The sink itself was a pedestal style with no shelves or storage, so my wife had to precariously balance make-up and toiletries on the sink's edge. The only shelves were on the far end of the bathroom over the toilet. The shower itself was just...strange. It had a tub, but it was so small as to be useless for any person larger than about 6 years old. Why wouldn't you just put in a walk-in shower if you were refurbing the room?

Water pressure itself was strong and water temp was crazy hot, so nothing to complain about there.

Floor was quiet...no noise leakage or disruption from other rooms. Bed was on the soft side but comfortable with lots of pillows.

I wish I would've taken a picture of the overstuffed reading chair with the faux snakeskin cover.

In short, it was a good experience, but the bathroom layout alone is going to send us back to the Renaissance down the block for date night. If it turns out they are overhauling the bathrooms as part of the refurb and we just happened to get an pre-refurb room, I'd consider going back.

bk3day Jan 26, 2015 10:11 pm

I was also at the Autograph this past weekend.

Respecting the lobby construction, there could be better signage outside the hotel directing folks to the one open entrance, closer to the N. Dearborn side. All one sees from the approach from the State Street side is plywood.

As for the elevators, I'm not sure if only one set was working but it seemed I only ever rode the same elevator (on the far left)

I also questioned some of the bathroom and other room design choices, though appreciated the multiple outlets near the bed. I wish I had more hot water and found the water temp controls to be very limited and hard to finely tune as the water was either too cold or boiling hot with little variation between the two. Luckily, my room didn't have the snake chair as I was in one & that did and felt it was way too large for the limited space.

I agree, the staff were indeed, very friendly.

The FD clerk welcomed and checked me in at Fri 9AM, despite no pre-requested early check in notice and even invited me to have breakfast in the lounge.

I stopped in and looked around and it was as Renard described in a prior post, a drab make-shift looking suite space on the 14th floor, converted to a lounge. iirc, there were the typical scrambled eggs, sausage (no bacon), oatmeal, some cold cereal and maybe a few other items.

I opted to return to the Ren on Wacker where I had stayed the night before and have breakfast in their make-shift, yet nicer lounge.

FYI, evidently there is confusion among the desk clerks respecting the weekend breakfast benefit.

Unlike rflor, I was not on a breakfast rate.

At checkin, the FDC quickly mentioned I had a choice of 750 points or $15/nt in room service credit in lieu of breakfast. Total $30 for my 2 night stay.

Before heading back to the Ren, I decided to ask again in more detail about my breakfast option. A different FDC was now on duty, and he explained that I had $30/nt in room service credit. Total $60 for my 2 night stay.

I then asked if I don't end up using it, could I get that credit applied to my room charges? He said yes and added he would note my account to that effect.

I never ended up using the room service credit. BTW, there is a $10/order + 25% gratuity on all room service order so keep that in mind if you do plan to use it.

Upon checkout, the unused room service credit was not automatically applied.

I brought that up with yet another, FDC and asked her to look for the notes from Friday's FDC Eventually, the credit was applied but only as "a one time exception" as another FDC, maybe the Manager overheard and clearly stated that the room service credit is NOT to be applied to room charges and NOT to expect that in the future. The credit was granted only because the Friday FDC had misspoke.

Bottom line, the location is great and I too scored a very nice sub $100 rt. The rooms are sufficient but definitely on the small side, as are the few other Autographs I've been in. I'd stay there again but it wouldn't necessarily be my first choice.

Originally Posted by rflor (Post 24231462)
As promised, here's my review of the Hotel Chicago after our stay there last night.

1. As others have noted, this could be on of the easiest hotels to drive to in Chicago. The driveway is a pull-through from State to Dearborn, so it's very simple to get in and out. Only downside I could see is if you're arriving at the hotel at same time as a House of Blues event, as both share the same driveway and things could get to.

2. They are not done with the lobby renovations, so you're redirected to a temporary check-in by the elevators. It makes for a crowded space when you have multiple parties checking in along with elevator traffic, as was the case for us last night.

3. I asked for an upgrade from our "King Deluxe", but there were none to be had. The desk agent was nice and apologetic, explaining that there are two floors of suites "out of inventory" due to the room renovations, which is limiting upgrade availability.

4. We had a "2 for breakfast" rate. There is no functioning restaurant in the hotel outside of "grab and go" in the lobby, so the agent explained we get $60 to use towards rooms service, brunch at Smith and Wollensky, Gospel brunch at House of Blues, or one other restaurant I cannot recall. He explained all three permit room charges. If we didn't use the credit, it'd just go as a credit against the room charges. We were leaving early this am, so we took the room credit and grabbed breakfast at Sixteen over in the Trump (which was awesome in its own right).

5. Lounge was closed, so I have nothing to report there, except I got my 750 points.

6. The room itself was disappointing. I do not know how far along they are with the refurbishments, but if the bathroom is indicative of their final state...they have a problem on their hands. As my wife said, "clearly they didn't have a businesswoman provide input into the bathroom layout." The sink itself was a pedestal style with no shelves or storage, so my wife had to precariously balance make-up and toiletries on the sink's edge. The only shelves were on the far end of the bathroom over the toilet. The shower itself was just...strange. It had a tub, but it was so small as to be useless for any person larger than about 6 years old. Why wouldn't you just put in a walk-in shower if you were refurbing the room?

Water pressure itself was strong and water temp was crazy hot, so nothing to complain about there.

Floor was quiet...no noise leakage or disruption from other rooms. Bed was on the soft side but comfortable with lots of pillows.

I wish I would've taken a picture of the overstuffed reading chair with the faux snakeskin cover.

In short, it was a good experience, but the bathroom layout alone is going to send us back to the Renaissance down the block for date night. If it turns out they are overhauling the bathrooms as part of the refurb and we just happened to get an pre-refurb room, I'd consider going back.

rflor Jan 27, 2015 6:46 am

Originally Posted by bk3day (Post 24240434)
I also questioned some of the bathroom and other room design choices, though appreciated the multiple outlets near the bed. I wish I had more hot water and found the water temp controls to be very limited and hard to finely tune as the water was either too cold or boiling hot with little variation between the two. Luckily, my room didn't have the snake chair as I was in one & that did and felt it was way too large for the limited space.

Good point on the water temp controls. We noticed the same thing...about 1mm difference between shivering and scalding.

We also noticed the nice outlet layout near the bed, but that was countered by the apparent lack of accessible outlets at the desk. I didn't look too closely, however, as we didn't have a need there.

goodeats21 Feb 6, 2016 7:59 am

I was here for a couple of nights this week and have to say it was a very impressive visit.

The room was good sized, especially for downtown Chicago. Comfortable bed and probably the best hotel room Television I have ever experienced. Every channel was crystal clear and the TV was BIG.

Adequate desk with a very comfortable chair. 3 outlets conveniently located at desk height, right under TV (by the phone).

http://i1193.photobucket.com/albums/...6/IMG_1428.jpg

http://i1193.photobucket.com/albums/...6/IMG_1430.jpg

The bathroom was also spaciously sized for downtown Chicago. I didn't have any issue with temperature control with the shower and the water pressure was great. I didn't mind the wall-mounted dispensers. They seemed to be a high-quality brand and eliminates fussing about with the little bottles...along with of course being better for less wasteful packaging to throw away. Plenty of counter space at the sink.

http://i1193.photobucket.com/albums/...6/IMG_1433.jpg

Interior lobby remodeling appears to be complete. Reception is now on the right side as you enter, well away from the elevators. The lounge is now on the ground floor, sort of behind the bar. It is called "Club Maxwell".

http://i1193.photobucket.com/albums/...6/IMG_1448.jpg

I do wish the lounge opened earlier then 6:30 AM. For those of us on East Coast schedules, it would be great to get a coffee earlier in the morning, which is really all I use the lounge for on business trips in the morning.

The evening food looked quite impressive. I had dinners already scheduled each night of the trip, so I didn't partake. But I did stop by to grab a bottle of water and snapped some pics for FT. (Lounge had refrigerators stocked with full-sized (^) bottles of water along with mini glass bottles of Pepsi, Diet Pepsi, and Sierra Mist.

http://i1193.photobucket.com/albums/...6/IMG_1437.jpg

http://i1193.photobucket.com/albums/...6/IMG_1434.jpg

http://i1193.photobucket.com/albums/...6/IMG_1438.jpg

http://i1193.photobucket.com/albums/...6/IMG_1439.jpg

They also had hummus for the pita chips along with an honor-bar with limited selection:

http://i1193.photobucket.com/albums/...6/IMG_1436.jpg

Staff was very friendly and professional. Check-in was quick and polite. I was thanked for being Plat, but don't think I got an upgraded room...though that is not really important to me.

It was a very busy work trip, so did not have time to check out the Fitness Center. WiFi was easy to connect and seemed to be of decent speed.

SkiAdcock Feb 6, 2016 10:04 am

Thanks for the detailed trip report w/ pictures! Much appreciated. Nice to know there's a desk :) Can't believe they're charging $9/glass for Sycamore Lane wine, given a bottle of SL sells for $6-8! (and that doesn't include what the hotel is probably getting it for, which is a lot less).

Cheers.

ohmark Feb 7, 2016 9:52 am

Originally Posted by SkiAdcock (Post 26142896)
Thanks for the detailed trip report w/ pictures! Much appreciated. Nice to know there's a desk :) Can't believe they're charging $9/glass for Sycamore Lane wine, given a bottle of SL sells for $6-8! (and that doesn't include what the hotel is probably getting it for, which is a lot less).

According to distributor, "Sycamore Lane" is a food service only brand, not available in stores or any other retail fashion. It's advertised to the industry as the brand you can charge whatever for because "...Sycamore Lane wines are not sold at retail, cost comparisons will never be an issue, so you can price this house wine appropriately." http://tfewines.com/our-wines/sycamore-lane.php At $9.00 a glass, it seems like the "captive audience" in the lounge is being fully taken advantage of.

SkiAdcock Feb 7, 2016 12:18 pm

Originally Posted by ohmark (Post 26147173)
According to distributor, "Sycamore Lane" is a food service only brand, not available in stores or any other retail fashion. It's advertised to the industry as the brand you can charge whatever for because "...Sycamore Lane wines are not sold at retail, cost comparisons will never be an issue, so you can price this house wine appropriately." http://tfewines.com/our-wines/sycamore-lane.php At $9.00 a glass, it seems like the "captive audience" in the lounge is being fully taken advantage of.

Ah, I just googled it & it had listing/prices I mentioned. I've been to some hotels that serve it at receptions. It's not very good. I don't mind paying $9 for a decent glass of wine, but not something that's lousy.

Cheers.

CJKatl Feb 7, 2016 12:28 pm

Originally Posted by SkiAdcock (Post 26147749)
Ah, I just googled it & it had listing/prices I mentioned. I've been to some hotels that serve it at receptions. It's not very good. I don't mind paying $9 for a decent glass of wine, but not something that's lousy.

Cheers.

I believe there are some states that do not allow wine to be distributed to only certain customers. I seem to remember when Trader Joe's came to GA there was discussion about Two Buck Chuck having to be offered to other retailers.

SkiAdcock Feb 7, 2016 12:50 pm

Getting back on track w/ the hotel. If someone stays at the property on a weekend, if they could confirm or update this part I'll update the exec lounge sticky.

"When lounge is closed, you get choice of 750 points or breakfast cert at the restaurant for either a breakfast parfait (granola/fruit) or eggs, hash browns & toast. That's it."

Cheers.

goodeats21 Feb 8, 2016 11:18 am

Originally Posted by SkiAdcock (Post 26147749)

Cheers.

I am not much of a wine drinker, but I think this is also the crap that is served as the free house wine at United Clubs.

I forgot to mention that apparently there are several nearby restaurants with some type of arrangement that you can charge the meal to your room at Hotel Chicago. I recall House of Blues and Harry Caray's being specified by the front desk staff, but I don't remember the others. Good method of getting incidental spend points if you happen to try those places for meals.

SkiAdcock Feb 8, 2016 11:49 am

Originally Posted by goodeats21 (Post 26152236)

I forgot to mention that apparently there are several nearby restaurants with some type of arrangement that you can charge the meal to your room at Hotel Chicago. I recall House of Blues and Harry Caray's being specified by the front desk staff, but I don't remember the others. Good method of getting incidental spend points if you happen to try those places for meals.

That's good to know - thx!

Cheers.

Exdon Mar 5, 2016 6:46 am

Originally Posted by SkiAdcock (Post 26147895)
Getting back on track w/ the hotel. If someone stays at the property on a weekend, if they could confirm or update this part I'll update the exec lounge sticky.

"When lounge is closed, you get choice of 750 points or breakfast cert at the restaurant for either a breakfast parfait (granola/fruit) or eggs, hash browns & toast. That's it."

Cheers.

Positive! There are even more options to choose (like egg&ham bagel). I had oatmeal and 2 pastries. Great Hotel btw. Only weak is the gym in the basement with an atmosphere like a parking garage.

SkiAdcock Mar 5, 2016 9:40 am

Originally Posted by Exdon (Post 26287807)
Positive! There are even more options to choose (like egg&ham bagel). I had oatmeal and 2 pastries. Great Hotel btw. Only weak is the gym in the basement with an atmosphere like a parking garage.

Thanks. Will update the exec lounge sticky.

Cheers.

tfred Mar 9, 2016 7:26 pm

i stayed here mid week in late Feb. Great advance repurchase rate of $127

comfy beds, modern rooms. the Maxwell lounge offers great evening snacks and generally overpriced wine as noted above. Breakfast is generally lackluster - functional but on par with most spring hill suites. The lounge itself is rather charmless - you wouldn't want to spend any time in it. That really isn't bad since the hotel is in a great location for food and booze