Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Marriott Mena House (near pyramids), Cairo, Egypt [Master Thread]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jun 4, 2021, 1:32 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: lamphs
6/4/21

Some current e-mail addresses:

Guest relations - [email protected]

Front office - frontoffice.menahouse@marriott,com

Personal e-mail for a guest relations rep - [email protected]

Print Wikipost

Marriott Mena House (near pyramids), Cairo, Egypt [Master Thread]

Search this Thread

Old Feb 10, 2021, 6:22 pm

What is the best way to travel between the Marriott and Cairo city? I'm assuming the hotel doesn't offer transportation. What are the options?
Old Feb 10, 2021, 7:06 pm

Programs: Marriott LTP, Hilton Diamond, Accor Gold, Hyatt Explorist,, Delta Plat,
Originally Posted by VXCabinCrew
What is the best way to travel between the Marriott and Cairo city? I'm assuming the hotel doesn't offer transportation. What are the options?
I've always just used Uber. The hotel can arrange a private chauffeured service at way more $$$. There's also taking a cab or Uber to the subway and taking the subway into the city.
Old Feb 15, 2021, 2:16 am

Programs: Delta SM
Anyone heard anything about the rebranding as a JW Marriott this summer once the renovations to the historic wing are finished? Seem to recall having seen an article about this but can't find it now.
Old Feb 15, 2021, 5:36 am

Programs: Marriott LTP, Hilton Diamond, Accor Gold, Hyatt Explorist,, Delta Plat,
Originally Posted by ruby&carlos
Anyone heard anything about the rebranding as a JW Marriott this summer once the renovations to the historic wing are finished? Seem to recall having seen an article about this but can't find it now.
https://www.meetingsnet.com/destinat...-near-pyramids

Don't know if the plans are still in effect, but the thought was to rebrand after the Palace Renovations - which were due to be finished in time for the opening of the Grand Egyptian Museum, so VIPs in town for the opening could stay at the Mena House.
Old Feb 15, 2021, 5:56 am

Originally Posted by dcstudent

Don't know if the plans are still in effect, but the thought was to rebrand after the Palace Renovations - which were due to be finished in time for the opening of the Grand Egyptian Museum, so VIPs in town for the opening could stay at the Mena House.
Makes sense. The article I saw was from a few weeks ago saying they planned JW Marriott Mena House to open this summer.

I was at the Mena House last year around this time and peeked into the historic wing where the entry wing expecting things to be almost done. It's been under renovation for quite a while now. It was in a state of utter disarray. Plaster and garbage everywhere. Was a bit sad, I've had many happy evenings at the Sultan's Bar there!
Old Feb 15, 2021, 6:01 am
Hyatt Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: Qatar Airways, Hyatt, Hilton, Marriott, IHG

Makes sense. The article I saw was from a few weeks ago saying they planned JW Marriott Mena House to open this summer.

I was at the Mena House last year around this time and peeked into the historic wing where the entry wing expecting things to be almost done. It's been under renovation for quite a while now. It was in a state of utter disarray. Plaster and garbage everywhere. Was a bit sad, I've had many happy evenings at the Sultan's Bar there!
Reading this makes me sad as a former resident of Cairo and someone who stayed at the Palace in 2006, but the shambolic state of affairs and endless delays are characteristic of the Egyptian experience. I think JW Marriott is the wrong brand for the Palace, anyway - I'd much prefer to see it tastefully redone and opened as a Luxury Collection property to preserve and highlight its identity as the Mena House Palace rather than some generic JW, and run it side-by-side as a dual-branded complex with the neighboring Marriott.

I mentioned this to the GM when I stayed at the hotel in October, and he was rather snarky about a guest expressing constructive criticism about the hotel's closely-guarded and nebulous plans. Meh.

khabah
Old Feb 15, 2021, 6:05 am

Originally Posted by khabah
Reading this makes me sad as a former resident of Cairo and someone who stayed at the Palace in 2006, but the shambolic state of affairs and endless delays are characteristic of the Egyptian experience. I think JW Marriott is the wrong brand for the Palace, anyway - I'd much prefer to see it tastefully redone and opened as a Luxury Collection property to preserve and highlight its identity as the Mena House Palace rather than some generic JW, and run it side-by-side as a dual-branded complex with the neighboring Marriott.

I mentioned this to the GM when I stayed at the hotel in October, and he was rather snarky about a guest expressing constructive criticism about the hotel's closely-guarded and nebulous plans. Meh.

khabah
Amen. It's such a unique location and deserves better. Apart from the views, the new wing is indeed quite soulless. Likely a preview of how the JW Marriott-branded Palace Wing will likely turn out.
Old Feb 15, 2021, 6:19 am

Add me to the list of the people who love the hotel. My wife and I last stayed there in October 19. The delays are really sad as Khabah said. We were really headed to Luxor on this last trip but scored a private behind the scenes look at the GEM Conservation Building with a conservator so ended up spending 3 nights in Giza (my wife had also never actually been to the Great Pyramids complex). Anywho, we're aiming to come back the first year after the GEM actually opens. Who knows when that will be. Fortunately, Turkish flies to Luxor direct now, so we can skip Cairo if we don't have a special reason to experience the Cairo airport. :-)

As an aside, really have loved every experience at the Mena House. The Staff are excellent, the lounge one of the best appointed as far as food/drink that I've been too, the pool amazing. There's also nothing like waking up in the morning and having a cup of coffee while looking out your balcony at the Pyramids. The food is also pretty good and reasonably priced for a hotel. Not even sure I'd want to stay in the Palace itself, but I'll wait to see pictures of the post-renovation.

Originally Posted by khabah

khabah
Old Feb 15, 2021, 9:08 am

Programs: BAEC Silver, VS Red, HH Gold, IHG Gold, Marriott Gold, SPG Basic, Alitalia Status Match
Fortunately, Turkish flies to Luxor direct now, so we can skip Cairo if we don't have a special reason to experience the Cairo airport. :-)
Are you sure the TK Luxor flight still exists? I was told by TK CS that they were reviewing the flight (loads, etc.) after its first 6 months and it was not guaranteed to continue. This was all before Covid.
Old Feb 15, 2021, 9:16 am

Originally Posted by ankomonkey
Are you sure the TK Luxor flight still exists? I was told by TK CS that they were reviewing the flight (loads, etc.) after its first 6 months and it was not guaranteed to continue. This was all before Covid.
Not seeing anything. Only Egypt Air. Hope QR relaunches its LXR route, that would be nice.
Old Feb 15, 2021, 9:38 am

Originally Posted by ankomonkey
It got axed, but may come back after COVID when tourism returns. We'll see what actually happens. I really like flying into Luxor to do Luxor/Aswan/Hurghada and absolutely hate the Cairo airport so one can hope it does indeed come back!
ankomonkey likes this.
Old Feb 15, 2021, 7:24 pm

I'll be in Cairo (I hope) the 2nd week of May. Planning to split time between this property and the new St. Regis. A member of my vol. fire dept. is from the Cairo area and highly recommends this property for the views if nothing else. Platinum, so hoping for a room with a view, even if I have to use SNAs.
Old Feb 17, 2021, 11:21 am

Programs: DL 1MM Platinum, UA 1k, HH Silver, BonVoy Platinum
Enjoy! Wish I could be back there for a few days, pool is great (if open with Covid etc) and you can request a few rooms that have Pyramid views as Platinum certainly you can get it, it's like 2nd floor and you can sit in bed and see the pyramids, and definitely from the room balcony. The restaurant in the evening has great views, very relaxing.
lamphs likes this.
Old Feb 18, 2021, 1:51 am

Originally Posted by lamphs
I'll be in Cairo (I hope) the 2nd week of May. Planning to split time between this property and the new St. Regis. A member of my vol. fire dept. is from the Cairo area and highly recommends this property for the views if nothing else. Platinum, so hoping for a room with a view, even if I have to use SNAs.
Enjoy! Take a peek at the palace wing and let us know what the progress is looking like.
lamphs likes this.
Old May 23, 2021, 9:27 am

At the property now. I'll provide a formal review, of course. With regards to the renovation of the Palace, per the lounge manager, it is due to be completed by the end of 2021, Only the Palace will be named JW Marriott while the remainder of the property will remain as Marriott.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.