Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

The Bacara Ritz-Carlton, Santa Barbara, CA [Master Thread]

The Bacara Ritz-Carlton, Santa Barbara, CA [Master Thread]

Old Oct 2, 17, 5:59 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UALifetimePremierGold, Marriott LifetimeTitanium
Marriott press release:

http://news.marriott.com/2017/09/rit...ous-portfolio/

Excerpt:

"The Bacara Resort & Spa has undergone a multi-million-dollar renovation which included all 358 guest rooms and suites as well as enhancements to the resort’s six culinary venues.

The oceanfront resort offers direct beach access and three salt-water swimming pools, a 42,000-square foot luxury spa with 36 treatment rooms, a salon and a fitness center, as well as abundant indoor and outdoor event space. Six culinary venues, including Angel Oak, the resort’s signature restaurant, will give guests a taste of Santa Barbara. Just minutes from the center of charming and historic Santa Barbara, the resort is nestled between the Pacific Ocean and the Santa Ynez Mountain, with close proximity to the region’s best vineyards.

As a part of this conversion, significant additional investments are planned for resort enhancements to a wide variety of guest spaces, including meeting and event venues, the main lobby, food and beverage outlets, the fitness center, pools and spa, making it an ideal destination for events or a relaxing getaway.

The work will also include the construction of a new Ritz-Carlton Club Lounge, a communal space where guests can connect and experience unique and highly personalized services and amenities, including dedicated check-in, check-out and concierge service, and daily culinary presentations."
Old Nov 19, 17, 8:32 pm

Programs: RA, UA MM 1k, AA EXP, Marriott LTP, Hyatt Plat, SPG100
Staying right now...

It's a lovely resort, particularly if you like natural surroundings. The beach access and nature preserve are beautiful. There is no club lounge, and I haven't seen any construction indicating one in progress. Nonetheless, the food on premise is great (pricey, but worth it). The spa is exceptional. I did not find the rooms to be large, but nicely appointed (I was lucky to secure an upgrade to full ocean view that actually has 2 balconies. It's awesome!).

SB is ~$40 uber away. SBA is a short drive too. I hope this property stays at tier 4.
Old Nov 22, 17, 3:07 pm

Programs: UA GS 1MM, Marriott Platinum Premier, Starwood Platinum, Hilton Diamond
I hope they improve the service. I stayed there last year before RC took it over and the service, especially in the banquet department and bar, was horrible.
Rooms are nice and large and some have great views.
Old Jan 7, 18, 3:16 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeMandarin Oriental Contributor Badge

Location: Seat 1A, Juice pretty much everywhere, Mucci des Coins Exotiques
I used to stay here umpteen years ago. It was, and I suppose as an RC still is an Amex FHR property. It was rather popular with LA celebs back then, but I don't know about now. In any case I always enjoyed it very much, especially the spa and restaurant. I'll be happy to try it out as a Ritz C.
Old Jan 18, 18, 3:27 pm

Programs: SPG Plat, SWA Companion Pass, United Silver
Originally Posted by danola View Post
It would be great to finally have a Marriott to go to in SB.
I apologize for the very delayed reply, but there is a (rather nice) Marriott Courtyard right next to UCSB in Goleta.

As far as the Bacara property, my wife and I have stayed here many times; the fitness center and spa are great, and grounds are beautiful. The beach is nice, but shouldn't be the big draw for people here, as its the same cold water and tar-covered sand as much of the rest of the beaches in the SB Channel. If you're looking for a really nice place to stay in SB, I'd consider San Ysidro Ranch or the Biltmore over the Bacara (personally), but rooms at the Bacara can usually be had for much less than the other two luxe places which is why I've mostly stayed here. Also, the Bacara isn't in SB-proper, its about 20 minutes by Taxi or Uber to downtown since it's located west of Goleta.
Old Jan 18, 18, 5:19 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA EXP, Delta Gold, United Silver, Marriott Plat Prem.,Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Discoverist, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by doggiefizzle View Post
I apologize for the very delayed reply, but there is a (rather nice) Marriott Courtyard right next to UCSB in Goleta.

As far as the Bacara property, my wife and I have stayed here many times; the fitness center and spa are great, and grounds are beautiful. The beach is nice, but shouldn't be the big draw for people here, as its the same cold water and tar-covered sand as much of the rest of the beaches in the SB Channel. If you're looking for a really nice place to stay in SB, I'd consider San Ysidro Ranch or the Biltmore over the Bacara (personally), but rooms at the Bacara can usually be had for much less than the other two luxe places which is why I've mostly stayed here. Also, the Bacara isn't in SB-proper, its about 20 minutes by Taxi or Uber to downtown since it's located west of Goleta.
i haven't priced it out but I'll bet the corporate rate(ABA rate is what I use, wife's an attorney, mostly use in SF) is not much more than the courtyard. We've never had to prove anything to get the Corp rate either. Not really any difference in driving downtown either.

san Ysidro Ranch and the Biltmore are wonderful properties, I'd say better than Bacara slightly unless you're just looking for relaxing poolside. SYR and the Biltmore were very messed up by the mudslides, SYR I think closed indefinitely, Biltmore about a month. Very sad situation.
Old Feb 23, 18, 11:41 am

Programs: UA 1K / *G / Marriott PE / Expedia Gold+ / Hertz PC
Haven't been here since c. 2003 during my days at UCSB 2001-2005 but I am taking a friend down the coast and we are going to do two nights here next month. Excited to have learned it is a RC property now.
Old Feb 23, 18, 11:47 am
formerly htang333
Four Seasons Contributor Badge

Programs: Virtuoso, FSPP, Rosewood Elite, RC STARS, Belmond Bellini, Hyatt Prive, Shangri-La, SPG LP, etc...
Quick feedback:

Booked a corporate client here for a week in Jan for their annual managers meeting, 100 rooms per night and rented out ball room space + catering as well.
I booked it when it was still Bacara and was worried that the transition to RC could cause growing pains. Happy to share that the feedback was fantastic!
Clients thought the property and its staff went above and byeond to assist with all matters. The hard product was great and feels new.
bhrubin likes this.
Old Mar 29, 18, 4:05 pm

Programs: SPG Plat100, DL Diamond, AA Executive Platinum (former CK)
Eh...

We live close by and went for the weekend...

This is relatively newly rebranded as a Ritz and it leaves some things to be desired. The place is certainly nice, but doesn’t quite match up to other Ritz hotels. As a Platinum member I was upgraded to a “better” room, but definitely nothing special. Don’t expect much Platinum recognition here.

As for the resort, it is quaint and buried amidst nature, but the beach leaves a lot to be desired. Don’t plan on bringing kids to play on the beach. However, the pool area is nice and has a nice little sand play area for the kids.

The hotel is secluded, which is nice and quiet — but it’s far from everything else if you plan on exploring.

Valet parking is mandatory at $38 a day, which seems a bit crazy. Not even an option to park yourself.

Also, the “resort fee” of $37 is a joke. Not sure what you get for it? Internet?
Old Apr 2, 18, 12:21 pm

Spent 2 nights here last week. Really liked it and want to come back with my Mom/Dad/Sister/Nephew sometime.
I went to UCSB 2001-2005 so I was used to being in IV and driving downtown to SB/State St and things like that. I also liked walking along the beach and pretty much just having it be other hotel guests. I thought the rooms had a wonderful decor and relaxing feel. Does suck that they charge you for parking given you're in the the middle of nowhere with no real space issues.
The resort fee gets you internet, spa access, water and a few other things. I did 1 night points, 1 night paid so it wasn't a big deal. Looking at mid-week dates seems like you could get a room for about $300 which I don't think is too bad.
bhrubin likes this.
Old Apr 18, 18, 10:47 am

Programs: IHG Ambassador, Hilton Gold, Marriott Plat, Hyatt Diamond, SPG Platinum, Oneworld Sapphire
It seems that this property now has a Club, any reviews or feedback?
Old Apr 18, 18, 10:50 am
Marriott 25+ BadgeAman Contributor Badge

Programs: Marriott Ambassador and LTT, UA Plat/LT Gold, AA Gold
This property is now in our sights since it is pet friendly. Any experience wth anyone bringing a dog here? Closest dog friendly beach?

Thanks!
Old Apr 18, 18, 1:45 pm

Originally Posted by bhrubin View Post
This property is now in our sights since it is pet friendly. Any experience wth anyone bringing a dog here? Closest dog friendly beach?

Thanks!
I wanted to bring my Boxer puppy but didn’t because she didn’t have all her shots. It’s $150 flat fee for the stay. I saw a full size Boxer walking around and also a Frenchie by the pool. Walking the beach in front of the hotel saw 2-3 dogs each stroll.
Old Jun 9, 18, 2:21 pm

If seeking a place not on the beach, but ultra nice: please consider the San Ysidro Ranch
Old Jun 9, 18, 3:33 pm
Aman Contributor BadgeMarriott 25+ Badge

Programs: Marriott Ambassador and LTT, UA Plat/LT Gold, AA Gold
Originally Posted by best View Post
If seeking a place not on the beach, but ultra nice: please consider the San Ysidro Ranch
SYR is closed due to damage from the recent mudslides. There is no opening date yet.

Search this Thread