Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

SpringHill Suites by Marriott Navarre Beach, FL [Master Thread]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 6, 2017, 11:27 am
Original Poster

Does anyone know when this new hotel is opening? Waiting to book our summer vacation in hopes of staying here.....
Old Apr 6, 2017, 12:22 pm
Moderator, Marriott Bonvoy & FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: United Silver; AA Plat/2MM; Marriott LT Titanium; Hilton Gold
Looks like reservations start on June 30th (which just barely meets the "Opening June" statement on the hotel's webpage.

If that isn't early enough for you, the Pensacola Beach SHS is just down 399 a bit and on its own very nice stretch of beach.
Old Jun 22, 2017, 8:48 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UALifetimePremierGold, Marriott LifetimeTitanium
Springhill Suites - Navarre Beach FL

http://www.marriott.com/hotels/trave...navarre-beach/

Cat 7.

New, Beachfront Hotel Centrally Located on Navarre Beach

"Indulge in the Ultimate Emerald Coast Beach Vacation at the New SpringHill Suites Navarre Beach, Florida that is located on the pristine white beaches of the Gulf of Mexico, alongside the Gulf Islands National Seashore, Navarre Beach Marine Park, the Gulf’s Longest Fishing Pier and just minutes from fun attractions, Pensacola Beach, Destin and Hurlburt Field Air Force Base.

Immerse yourself in relaxation in one of our modern, cozy suites, step out onto a private balcony to overlook a mesmerizing sunset, rejuvenate in our lazy river or indoor pool, savor a delicious meal in our restaurant, absorb the beauty of nature on the softest, most sugar white sand you’ve ever felt and refresh with a swim in crystal clear, emerald green waters. We’ll pamper you with all the amenities you need from a Complimentary hot, healthy breakfast to Wi-Fi so you never have to leave the comfort of our hotel. "

http://www.nwfdailynews.com/news/201...ening-saturday

"The 161-room hotel at 8375 Gulf Blvd. replaces the old Holiday Inn, which was destroyed by Hurricane Ivan in 2004. Construction began in June 2015, but the hotel hit some early setbacks, including delays during shorebird nesting season and while the foundation was redesigned."
Old Jun 22, 2017, 11:27 am

Looks like we may have an update.

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/marri...-beach-fl.html
Old Dec 17, 2017, 7:43 pm

Programs: Marriott Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium
Stayed three nights in early December 2017. Pool deck and hot tub closed for repairs but we got to use them on our first day...before the repairs began. NICE pool area with plenty of towels and a very good lazy river.

near the hotel were very few places to eat or shop. Needed to drive ten minutes. Beach is very pretty.

we had two queen XL, beachfront with balcony....most expensive room category. It was quite pricey for early December. The bathroom is in the middle of the linear room with the two queens being separated by it. Nice for privacy. Each area had a tall bureau with lots of outlets.

Breakfast was excellent. Lots of self parking.

only problem was desk clerk on final morning who didn't want to give us 4pm checkout, as Marriott Gold. Considering the hotel was almost empty, it made no sense.
Old Dec 18, 2017, 9:39 am

Thanks for the trip report. Much appreciated.

Cheers.
Old Apr 5, 2018, 1:05 pm

Programs: Marriott Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, UA Gold, AA Gold
We stayed here for 5 nights during late March. In some ways, I really hate to post this, because I don't want to let the word out as the hotel really is a gem. In sum, it is a true beach vacation hotel without the airs and costs of a "resort" hotel. The weather was just so-so during our week (though we still made it on to the beach or pool every day we were there), but we would return in a heartbeat.

The hotel sits directly on Navarre Beach. Navarre is a beachfront town between Pensacola and Destin. There is a thin strip of barrier island that sits about 1/2 a mile off the mainland, and that is where the hotel is. That barrier island has a single road (one lane each way) called Gulf Blvd. As far as I can tell from the web, the hotel sits on the spot where a former Holiday Inn was that was destroyed by a hurricane some years ago (and that was the filming location for Jaws 2!). I believe the hotel opened in 2017.

Navarre is not yet overrun by hotels and is mostly about 5-6 high rise condos (on the oceanside where the bridge crosses over from the mainland), townhome-style condos (on the soundside near the bridge) and vacation-type home (all along Gulf Blvd west of the SHS until you hit the Gulf Islands national seashore). It is also not a beach "boardwalk" type of place; in fact there is no boardwalk running along the beach, though it does have a long pier that juts out into the gulf. In the immediate vicinity, there is little in the way of restaurants, and almost nothing in the way amusement parks and the like, even within a few miles.

What Navarre does have is a beautiful stretch of beach, and the hotel, with its really nice pool and lazy river, is a perfect complement.

PARKING/ENTRACE

The hotel has free self-parking in a large lot out front. There is ample parking space and all spots are short walks to the front door. Also very nice was the fact that the hotel has probably 10 luggage carts for guests to use. Everyone is coming and going with a substantial amount of luggage, gear, drinks, etc., and it was really nice not to have to worry that the hotel would run out of luggage carts to haul your stuff to and from your room (mind you, this is not a FS hotel so there are no doormen or bellboys). I never saw a time during our entire stay there when several luggage carts were not free to be used.

The hotel, undoubtedly because of hurricane building requirements, actually starts on the first floor above ground level (the elevator is available at the parking/ground level, but the main lobby of the hotel, including check-in, breakfast, bar, pool, lazy river, conference area, hotel gift shop, etc.) are all at floor 1. The nice thing is that the same elevators can also take you up to your room (there are six floors in total above the ground level). It is not one of those hotels where you need to switch elevator banks to get to your floor.

ROOMS

The hotel is situated parallel to the beach, so half the rooms directly face the beach, while the other half do not see the beach at all, and directly face the mainland (and the sound between the barrier island and the mainland). We were upgraded from a non-beachfront side room to a beachfront side room. All the beachfront side rooms have balconies. Only about a third of the non-beachfront side rooms have balconies. Having spent the week with a balcony, I would definitely choose to have a balcony room, since it is a perfect place to hang out in the evening after a day at the beach/pool (obviously), but also a great place to hang your swimsuits and beach toys to let them air and dry out! The balcony has two chairs and a little table, and there is a solid, opaque wall between you and the neighboring balconies, so there is privacy.

The room is amazingly well designed in my opinion. There are outlets galore for charging devices (including USB ports so you don't necessarily have to bring the plugs, only the cords)...on each bedside, as well as outlets built into each of the two dressers. There is a bedroom "half" of the suite and a living room "half" of the suite, and they are separated by the bathroom and closet, connected by a small short "hallway". While not 100% private (there is no "door" that closes between them), the bedroom is pretty private from the living area. The bed was amazingly comfortable....really much more comfortable than any other hotel I've stayed in in recent memory (probably largely due to the fact that the hotel is still pretty new). There is a dresser that has four small drawers (2x2), and underneath the dresser is a perfectly designed slide-under tabletop that can be slid out and used as a desk or eating area. Above the dresser is a large flat screen TV.

On the living area side of the room is the same dresser. Instead of the desk, there is a solid bench that can be used for seating or to put things on. The sofa has 3 thirds to it. THe left two thirds can be pulled out into a twin-size sofa bed. The right third of it is a chaise lounge. That part could be used as a sleeping spot for a small child if that is necessary.

In the center of the room (between the bed and living sections) is the bathroom. It is not overly fancy, but is modern and very well-designed. There is a single sink with a good amount of counter space. The shower is over-sized (probably 5 feet square-ish), with a rain-shower-like shower head up top, and a separate shower wand if needed. There are ample hooks for hanging towels and clothes; four by my memory. Just outside the bathroom is a small "closet" with a small hanging rack above some additional drawers. Next to that is the area with a mini fridge, microwave, coffee maker, and space to store your food and drinks. On the wall nearby is a hanging rack.

The floor is a faux plank wood laminate flooring (undoubtedly easier for cleaning), though a nice touch is that selected small areas (such as just next to each bedside) are small areas of carpeting, which makes it easier on your feet.

BEACH/POOL

From the first floor (i.e., the main floor of the hotel), you can access first the hotel pool area (with a large outdoor swimming pool, single hottub, decent-sized lazy river, and small indoor pool). There are ample beach chairs and reclining chairs around the pool area. The single hot tub is a medium-sized circle; on cold-ish days, like when we were there, it unfortunately fills up quickly. The outdoor pool is a really good size, much bigger than most pools in hotels these days. The shallow end has a "beach" side (ie., sloped so you can wade in rather than having to jump in). Ther lazy river is about the same size of the pool...it is nowhere near the size of the lazy river at resorts like the JW Desert Springs or Starr Pass, but it is of sufficient size that my kids enjoyed plenty of time there without complaint. There are hotel-supplied tubes to ride around in. There is also an outdoor, pool-side shower for rinsing. Immediately next to the lazy river are the doors to go into the indoor pool. The indoor pool is very small, even smaller than your typical FFI/SHS indoor pools. The outdoor pool closes at 10pm at night.

THe first day we arrived, there were plenty of hotel-provided pool towels poolside. Unfortunately, that was the last day they provided pool towels in that manner! The next day (and much to our confusion!), there were no more towels. In any case, it seems that, because of the costs of processing (and perhaps losing) unlimited towels for guests, the hotel has gone to a towel card system (much like some other resorts), in which each room is alloted 4 towels which you request at the front desk. Once the system worked out some kinks that first day, it was fine.

To get from the pool are to the beach, you take set of stairs down (about 12-15 steps) and then walk about 75 feet on the wooden beach walkway out to the beach. If need be, you can also take a ramp instead of the stairs out to the walkway (the ramp also surrounds a hotel private sand play area). At the bottom of the stairs is a shower and faucet for post-beach rinsing off before returning to the hotel.

On the beach, you can order drinks from the hotel bar (via text or something), and they will deliver them to you on the beach. There is also a beach chair/umbrella service (unaffiliated with the hotel). I believe the rate was $33/day for the umbrella/two chairs (we had brought our own chairs/umbrella). There is about 40-50 feet of beach "depth" and the beautiful sandy beach goes as far east and west as you can see. There are no lifeguard stations at the part of the beach where the hotel is; those can be found about 1/3 mile east, where the main pier is.

BREAKFAST

Needless to say, near everyone at this hotel is coming for a multi-day vacation and typically with families...i.e., I'd hazard to guess that there are 3-5 people per room (and that there are very few single or possibly even couples in rooms). Thus, there are a LOT of people at the hotel. I've been at some RI/FFI/SHS hotels where the breakfast staff is overwhelmed and cannot keep pace with resupplying the food and other provisions. What was amazingly impressive was that, despite the volume of people getting breakfast (and there were significant lines every morning we were there), the food was continually and quickly restocked. You had to be a little patient while in line, but the food was always there. The food was on the very good side for a RI/SHS/FFI-type breakfast, though it was standard breakfasts like at these chains. Cereals, breads, mini-muffins/etc., oatmeal, eggs, 2 types of sausages (turkey patties and pork links), waffle makers, etc. The eggs were from powder and barely passable, but nonetheless I was impressed overall with the capabilities and services during the breakfast time. It could have been a total disaster but it was actually pretty nice each day. There is a lot of seating area, but given the volumes of people, at peak times it could be difficult to get a spot.

OTHER FOOD
There is very very little in the way of nearby restaurants. There is a restaurant attached to the hotel (Beach Bar and Grille). We ate there on our last night and were very pleasantly surprised. Mind you, the menu is VERY LIMITED...something like 5 choices for entrees. But the food was very good. Other than that, there might be two other restuarants on the barrier island side of things (neither of which we tried). If you cross the bridge back to Navarre proper, there are many more choices. We had sushi at the Slippery Mermaid, which was surprisingly good. We also very much enjoyed our fried seafood at Scooter's Fish House. There is your standard fast food (Burger King and others nearby), and our favorite Culver's. Importantly, there is a super Walmart about few miles away where you can stock up on everything.

MISC

The hotel provides 250 points per night you do not use housekeeping, subject to certain requirements/limits (you either call them to let them know or hang a provided hang-tag on your door). Aside from one surly front desk agent, the staff was excellent, friendly, and helpful.

Negatives:
-the hotel could have used a third elevator bank, but it is not the end of the world.
-it would have been nice to have 2 rather than only one hot tubs at the pool area.
Jon Maiman likes this.
Old Apr 5, 2018, 1:11 pm

Programs: Marriott Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, UA Gold, AA Gold
some photos of the hotel

Jon Maiman likes this.
Old Apr 6, 2018, 10:59 am

dcchi, thank you so much for the very detailed trip report & pics. Much appreciated.

Cheers.
Old Sep 4, 2018, 7:29 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: MSY; 2-time FT Fantasy Football Champ, now in recovery.
Programs: AA lifetime GLD; UA Silver; Marriott LTTE; IHG Plat,
I just stayed there this past weekend. I'll agree with most of what dcchi said. Overall, a very enjoyable stay.

A few other thoughts.

As a platinum, I had reserved an island view balcony room, and that's what I got. But it was a busy holiday weekend, so I wasn't expecting an upgrade. More disappointing was that my late checkout request was limited to 1 pm, and when I pressed, they grudgingly offered only 1:30.

I have a standing "high floor' request on my MR account, and we were given the top (6th) floor. I will note that the top floor balconies are uncovered, while all other floors you have the balcony above as a roof, so the lower floors have an advantage if it rains.

Many of the reviews on TripAdvisor complained of the noise when the heavy balcony doors slam shut, but that wasn't a problem for us on the island side - there are only 4 balconies per floor on that side, 2 at either end of the hotel, so only a single adjacent balcony to contest with.

Last note on the room, the wifi was terrible, only a weak signal in the room, and no signal at all when we stepped out to the balcony.

We enjoyed both the pool and the beach. The beach had plenty of room to spread out. The pool was more crowded, but never to the point of not being able to enjoy it. The chaises sometimes were all taken, but there were always plenty of available chairs. One note on the beach, while there is a ramp to get from the hotel to the walkway, from the walkway down to the beach there is no ramp, it's about 10 steps to get down those stairs.

Alcohol is allowed at both the beach and the pool, but no glass containers.

We brought our own, but if you want to rent chairs or umbrella, this is the company at the hotel: https://lazydaysbeachrentals.com/.

Breakfast, as noted, is a pain. The staff did an amazing job of replenishing food, and the seating area was always crowded but we somehow managed to find seats each morning. The big problem is the layout of the food service area, which basically makes it single file. We had a 5 minute wait to get food each morning. Surprisingly, for a vacation hotel, it's only served until 9:30, even on weekends; I've got to think expending it to later would help alleviate the crowding.

The staff was very friendly and accommodating (except for that late checkout), but housekeeping missed out room completely on the 2nd day.

We had one meal in the hotel restaurant, and it was ok but not great, and you're paying tourist prices. Views overlook either the restaurant bar deck or the hotel lazy river. Navarre Beachhouse Bar & Grille

Last edited by swag; Sep 4, 2018 at 4:29 pm
Old Jun 13, 2019, 1:08 pm

Programs: Marriott Life Titanium, Hilton Diamond, United Silver, DL, IHG Plat, etc.
Stayed there last week (June 5-8) and my experiences largely mirror earlier comments:

Status/Upgrade - the manager was very helpful when I called prior to my stay to work out a bit of a bump on my mixed revenue/points stay.

Redeeming points - they seem to have strong capacity controls. I was only able to book one night of the three on points. (and I think its a bargain at Cat 5)

Breakfast - total zoo - heavy crowds. The food was Ok. I've seen worse at Springhills but not much worse. I guess I'd say its one of the powdered egg locations. (once was told that's a Springhilll std but have been to locations where they are fresh)

Pool - very nice layout. Gave us a place to hang and float on their little river which was nice as the winds really whipped up the waves so no swimming at the beach.

Rooms - very functional and spacious.

Location - sort of remote. Few options for dinner without a drive but its a good tradeoff for avoiding the crowded world of Destin.
Old Jun 13, 2019, 1:45 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: MSY; 2-time FT Fantasy Football Champ, now in recovery.
Programs: AA lifetime GLD; UA Silver; Marriott LTTE; IHG Plat,
Originally Posted by pmaddock
Redeeming points - they seem to have strong capacity controls. I was only able to book one night of the three on points. (and I think its a bargain at Cat 5)
From what I've seen, the key is to book 8+ weeks out. When I looked in April, the summer months were pretty wide open. Looking right now, weekday availability is intermittent in June and July, but beyond this weekend, there's not a single Saturday available on points until Aug 10. But from August 4 through early December, every single night is available except two (one Saturday night in Oct and one in Nov).

(There's zero availability beyond Dec 7, for either points or paid stays, but that's likely a web error or rates just not loaded yet).

Edit to add - none of the gulf-view rooms are available on points, nor are the "oversize island-view" rooms. By my count, based on looking at exterior pictures and counting windows, there are 38 rooms on each floor: 18 gulf view, 4 oversize island view, 4 balcony island view, and 12 standard island view. Only the latter two are available on points, so that's 42% of inventory at most.

Last edited by swag; Jun 13, 2019 at 2:03 pm
Old Oct 28, 2019, 4:11 am

Just had a 1-night paid stay. Was planning on an award rate, but the cash rate was only $114. So went that way instead for the lowest category room they had. It is off-season here and the hotel wasn't anywhere near full. They upgraded me to an oceanfront, balcony room which was very nice. I asked for a late check-out (was asked how late did I want) and was given 4pm with no other questions or issues. ^

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.