Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Weligama Bay Marriott Resort & Spa - Sri Lanka [Master Thread]

Hide Wikipost
Old Jan 6, 19, 3:45 am   -   Wikipost
Please read: This is a community-maintained wiki post containing the most important information from this thread. You may edit the Wiki once you have been on FT for 90 days and have made 90 posts.

Last edit by: SkiAdcock
Wiki Link
For transportation to and from I suggest downloading the PickMe taxi app which is like Uber only cheaper and with better coverage all across Sri Lanka whereas Uber only works in Colombo. The rate I paid using the app was about $50USD each way vs. the hotel rate of $125USD! Rate varies based on the size of car required. Travel time was 2.5 hrs each way.

We used TaxiGo for airport pickup and dropoff - cheap, clean, convenient and professional

Plat amenities are complimentary breakfast, two items for complimentary pressing per day, 20 percent off dining [excluding alcohol] and 20 percent off spa. Gone are the happy hours mentioned in posts above.
Print Wikipost

Old Jun 19, 17, 3:48 am
Original Poster

Programs: UA Plat, AA Plat, LH SEN, Hyatt Glob, Marriott Plat

http://www.marriott.com/hotels/trave...esort-and-spa/

The hotel website says that it's opening in July (2017), which is just a half month away, but weirdly it looks like they are not taking reservations yet. Also, there is no option to contact them by phone... they only list a fax number.

Are these basically "sure signs" that the opening is delayed? I would love to try out this property if it is open in the early Fall, but need to make other plans if it will not be.
Old Jun 19, 17, 8:34 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UALifetimePremierGold, Marriott LifetimeTitanium
Thanks for the heads up. When I've checked new hotels periodically during the year & click on Sri Lanka, it always re-directed me to a list of properties in the US (LOL).

My guess (and it's only that) is that it may not open in July, but might open by fall. There's no category assigned yet & as you note, some contact information is missing. You might try contacting MR reservations & see if they have any info. Sometimes cat & inventory doesn't get loaded until close in to real opening time. If you can make refundable other plans, you might want to make those & then keep checking back on this property.

From the website:

"Tune in to the inspiring art of modern global Hospitality, blend in with the unique flavours of a charming fishing village in Sri Lanka: Sun, Sea and Surfing. Welcome to Weligama Bay Marriott Resort & Spa; a luxurious resort designed to help escape the mundane. This beach front property offers 198 exquisitely designed sea facing rooms and suites, right in the heart of Weligama Bay. Located in close proximity to the Galle Fort and Blue Whale watching hubs; this resort mimics the environs of the open pristine outdoors."

Also from the website:

* 14 floors , 188 rooms , 10 suites (direct sea views from all rooms)
* 1 concierge level
* Complimentary on-site & valet parking
* Complimentary wireless in guest rooms & public areas
* Complimentary crib/play yard
* Roll-away bed: 100USD/day
* 3 restaurants/bars (also looks like some off-site options nearby)
* Pools: children's, lap pool, outdoor pool
Old Jul 14, 17, 3:25 am
Original Poster

Programs: UA Plat, AA Plat, LH SEN, Hyatt Glob, Marriott Plat
Well, it looks like this property is opening on time after all. The website has been updated with a phone number and they are now accepting reservations for stays checking-in as early as the 20th!

Also, the website is now showing that the property is a Category 3. If room rates stay around where they are right now (~$180), redemption rates could be as high as 1.5cpp with 5th night free.

They are running a promo ("Marriott Rewards Member Grand Opening Offer") for ~$10 more than the member rate. It includes free breakfast, $15 USD of resort credit per night, 15% discount on food and spa services, 4pm late check-out, and a one category upgrade.

No actual pictures of the hotel yet, however. All of the interior/landscape photos on the website are still computer renders. Makes me wonder if the hotel will be opening in an incomplete state, since the construction photos I could find online seemed to indicate that the lobby was still stripped down to the drywall only 2 two months ago! However, the specs for the base rooms indicate that they are 46sqm/~500sqft, and standard suites are 92sqm/~1000sqft, so I am cautiously optimistic that this property will end up being nicely appointed.

My stay, if my plans solidify in this direction, will be in September. So, if no-one has updated this thread with a review by then, I will be back to post my own!

Last edited by blahmeh14; Jul 14, 17 at 3:43 am
Old Jul 16, 17, 8:47 am

Thanks for the heads up & look forward to your trip report:

Additional Information
Grand Opening Offer
- Superior Ocean Room
- Offer Valid till 31st October 2017
- Buffet Breakfast
- USD 15 Credit per night
- 15pct Discount on Food and Spa
- Late Check out until 4 pm
- Upgrade to next category based on availability
- Rate is valid for Marriott Reward Members Only
- Government taxes applicable

A couple of other things I noticed on the website:

* Smoking on guest balconies only
* Complimentary wireless highspeed internet, Mini Bar, Tea and Coffee Maker, Safe
Old Jul 25, 17, 10:27 am

Programs: UA 1K MM, AS MVPG, SPG PLAT 100
Roll away charges often > 50% of the room rate. Insane. I get charging $100+ for a roll away at the $$$ Gritti Palace but at a Cat 3 Marriott in Sri Lanka???
Old Jul 29, 17, 5:09 pm

Programs: BA - Gold, Hilton - Diamond; Hyatt - Platinum, Accor - Platinum, Marriott - GOLD; SPG - Gold;
Originally Posted by SkiAdcock View Post
Thanks for the heads up & look forward to your trip report:

Additional Information
Grand Opening Offer
- Superior Ocean Room
- Offer Valid till 31st October 2017
- Buffet Breakfast
- USD 15 Credit per night
- 15pct Discount on Food and Spa
- Late Check out until 4 pm
- Upgrade to next category based on availability
- Rate is valid for Marriott Reward Members Only
- Government taxes applicable

A couple of other things I noticed on the website:

* Smoking on guest balconies only
* Complimentary wireless highspeed internet, Mini Bar, Tea and Coffee Maker, Safe
I've just looked at this offer, and could not believe that taxes are expensive and worth of 1 day stay rate, that pushes price up quite high
Old Jul 29, 17, 5:35 pm

Programs: Accor PLT,Thai Silver, HH Dia, SPG PLT (LT Gold), TK Gold, M&M S, BA Silver, Hyatt Dia
Would be interesting to know how much transfers will cost.
Old Jul 30, 17, 11:22 pm

Programs: AA Exec Plat, IHG Plat, Marriott Silver, HHonors & SPG Gold
I am looking at it for the christmas holidays and the rates are $400+.
so a 15K redemption for a Ocean View Room is Amazing value.

Would be nice to hear about the hotel from someone who has been there.

Google Reviews (though not necessarily about the property) are not very good

Originally Posted by blahmeh14 View Post
Well, it looks like this property is opening on time after all. The website has been updated with a phone number and they are now accepting reservations for stays checking-in as early as the 20th!

Also, the website is now showing that the property is a Category 3. If room rates stay around where they are right now (~$180), redemption rates could be as high as 1.5cpp with 5th night free.

They are running a promo ("Marriott Rewards Member Grand Opening Offer") for ~$10 more than the member rate. It includes free breakfast, $15 USD of resort credit per night, 15% discount on food and spa services, 4pm late check-out, and a one category upgrade.

No actual pictures of the hotel yet, however. All of the interior/landscape photos on the website are still computer renders. Makes me wonder if the hotel will be opening in an incomplete state, since the construction photos I could find online seemed to indicate that the lobby was still stripped down to the drywall only 2 two months ago! However, the specs for the base rooms indicate that they are 46sqm/~500sqft, and standard suites are 92sqm/~1000sqft, so I am cautiously optimistic that this property will end up being nicely appointed.

My stay, if my plans solidify in this direction, will be in September. So, if no-one has updated this thread with a review by then, I will be back to post my own!
Old Oct 15, 17, 11:50 am

Programs: SPG Plt
Anyone had a stay at this property? Reviews on Trip Advisor ar glowing but would be interested to hear from someone on FT as to what their thoughts are.
Old Nov 29, 17, 11:36 am

Also curious which floor is the "concierge level", and if the rooms there are any better than on other floors?
Old Dec 29, 17, 11:04 pm

Programs: UA
We just arrived at the hotel and will stay for 2 nights. We got a room on the 6th floor and not on the concierge floor but not even sure what the difference would be (no upgrade though but seems like they only have 10 suites and looking at the fire escape plan all rooms on our floor are the same size, all rooms have ocean view anyway). The hotel is still in its teething period with service being spotty but they are trying very hard (took forever to get our luggage to the room and had to follow up 3x). English is also a problem (e.g. the receptionist at the Big Fish Restaurant did not speak it so she couldn't even answer if they had a table for 3 and had to get a waiter over). We walked a bit on the beach last night and as some reviewers write online it is a bit of an eye sore (more used to those high rise hotels in Honolulu). A tall building sticking out in the middle of the bay.

The rooms are nice while a bit impractical in the bathroom (a sliding door to either close the toilet off or the shower but only 1 at a time and another sliding door to open up the rest of the bathroom to the room. All rooms have a great ocean view with lots of surfers out early morning already.
Breakfast was very good but a bit messy with a lot of stations in every corner and people being a bit confused what to get where. Also first place in Sri Lanka where they did not make egg hoppers (maybe only today? did not get a clear answer on it).
I am Gold and elite recognition here is free breakfast, free afternoon tea in the tides bar and also free evening drinks with some small food (fruits and sandwiches). Also 15% discount at the restaurant. We will head to the pool later on, it is 2 larger pools but from above already looks like not enough pool chairs (saw a lot of them occupied early morning with towels already and didn't even see Germans in the hotel ).

We ate dinner last evening at the Big Fish (seafood) restaurant. Excellent food but a bit pricey for local standards but still acceptable (paid 10000 LKR for 2 persons with juice for drinks). One thing I had to laugh was seeing a 1 liter bottle of San Pellegrino costing 2500 LKR (16 USD) excluding service fee and taxes. You can also get 250ml for 1390 though.

Internet is decent fast (my son is watching youtube and works well for him). Not sure what the device limit is, we did hook up 5 already.

I did attach the elite recognition letter. Let me know if anybody has more questions.

Gold elite benefits at Marriott Weligama Bay

Last edited by German Expat; Dec 29, 17 at 11:09 pm
Old Jan 3, 18, 2:05 am

Programs: UA
A couple additional comments after our 2 day stay:
- extending check out on the 2nd day to 2pm was no problem
- looked briefly at the gym but did not have enough time, it looked ok but nothing special
- the pool chairs were a problem and not enough, first day we found 1 at the pool, 2nd day took some regular chairs from the restaurant. I did get a reply from the GM (based on the standard Marriott form I filled in) stating they did add 50 more pool chairs
- tried surfing, plenty of people on the beach renting out boards and offering lessions, 2000 LKR for a 90 minute lesson including board (they are not attached to the hotel)
- breakfast was very good (except the Chinese Congee was anything but, more like a rice coconut soup). 2nd day egg hoppers were available so probably just a fluke on the first day
- service at Big Fish on the 2nd day was not good, had to fetch them to get the menu etc. Food was very good again, screwed up my wife's food though and had to redo it but got a free appetizer out of it. Also took quite long to get the main course
- afternoon tea food choices were extremely limited
- Internet fast and ended up having 6 devices on it at the end (still not sure they even have a device limit)
- pool is not so good, 2 large pools and 1 kid's pool but neither of the large pools is deep enough (the 1 being completely shallow, the other one maybe 4 foot) so both are full of non swimmers. Would have been better to make one more a swimmers pool.
- sofa bed was very comfortable for our son (sleeps 1)
- We liked the location being away from Galle. Went there for a late afternoon trip along the coast (very nice drive) to the Fort. Have to admit with 2 nights we did not have time to venture outside the hotel. On quick glance didn't look like much is around. Evening stroll at the beach did show some restaurants and looking at tripadvisor they had decent reviews.

Summary: For 15k points an excellent deal. Good Gold benefits. Nice bay area and I am sure the service will improve and none of the issues were a bigger deal. Just comparing it to the other hotels we stayed in Sri Lanka and compared to those it is obvious the hotel is still relative new. We did like the location.
imverge and Guvner067 like this.
Old Jan 3, 18, 3:56 am

Originally Posted by German Expat View Post
We liked the location being away from Galle. Went there for a late afternoon trip along the coast (very nice drive) to the Fort.
Any tips or observations about car rentals and driving in Sri Lanka? I already realize that the steering would be on the wrong side, so automatics are preferable.
Old Jan 3, 18, 10:49 am

German Expat, thanks for the detailed trip report & the scan of the elite letter. Much appreciated!

Cheers.
Old Jan 3, 18, 7:27 pm

Originally Posted by SkiAdcock View Post
German Expat, thanks for the detailed trip report & the scan of the elite letter. Much appreciated!

Cheers.
Yes, thank you German Expat!

Any info on transportation from airport to resort?

Last edited by imverge; Jan 3, 18 at 8:54 pm

Search this Thread
Search Engine: