Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

[GONE] The Inn at Rancho Santa Fe (Carlsbad/San Diego), Tribute Port [Master Thread]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

[GONE] The Inn at Rancho Santa Fe (Carlsbad/San Diego), Tribute Port [Master Thread]

Search this Thread

Old May 17, 2017, 8:39 am
Original Poster

Programs: Delta,SPG, Hyatt

Booked a 5 night stay on points to visit family. Anyone stay here before/after Tribute Portfolio status? Location is perfect for our visit...any comments welcome.

a quick google search didn't produce any FT results...

Last edited by singtx; May 18, 2017 at 9:34 am
Old May 17, 2017, 9:48 am
Community Director Emerita

singtx, I found your post fascinating as I had no idea that the Inn at Rancho Santa Fe had associated itself with Starwood. My mouth actually dropped! We attended a wedding there on New Years Eve. The bridal couple spent their first two nights at the inn before heading out on their honeymoon. I've attended various events there over the years but have never been inside a room. The grounds are beautiful. This is Old California at its best. I hope someone more knowledgeable than me can help re the room quality.

Thyme in the Ranch, across from the Inn, is a great place for lunch. It has a great range of salads, sandwiches, and desserts.

Last edited by SanDiego1K; May 17, 2017 at 9:54 am
Old May 17, 2017, 10:36 am
Suspended
Marriott 25+ BadgeAman Contributor Badge

Programs: Marriott Ambassador and LTT, UA Plat/LT Gold, AA Gold
Originally Posted by singtx
Booked a 5 night stay on points to visit family. Anyone stay here before/after Luxury Collection status? Location is perfect for our visit...any comments welcome.

a quick google search didn't produce any FT results...
It is a Tribute Portfolio...not Luxury Collection. It joined up as of May 1. A very nice addition to the portfolio. I'll be curious to hear some recent reviews and new review on SPG/Marriott treatment. I was there for a wedding several years ago and thought it a very pretty property with nice food/beverage.

http://www.bizjournals.com/prnewswir.../05/04/MN81091
Old May 18, 2017, 9:37 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by bhrubin
It is a Tribute Portfolio...not Luxury Collection. It joined up as of May 1. A very nice addition to the portfolio. I'll be curious to hear some recent reviews and new review on SPG/Marriott treatment. I was there for a wedding several years ago and thought it a very pretty property with nice food/beverage.

http://www.bizjournals.com/prnewswir.../05/04/MN81091
Thanks for catching the error! Corrected OP. Thanks SanDiego1K for the restaurant rec!

We now have two rooms booked for 5 nights.

Hopefully someone can chime in on two families staying here with kids under 4 years!

Regardless, its the closest "SPG" property to the sister's house.

thanks!
Old May 20, 2017, 10:44 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

hopefully another sign of more great properties joining tribute/luxury/design/autograph
Old Jun 12, 2017, 11:45 pm

Programs: All of them.... mostly United and Starwood
When is your stay scheduled? I'd love to hear about it. I am considering a stay next week. The room rate is over $600 with taxes and I was both surprised and yet not surprised to see that included a $25/night amenity fee that covers wifi, parking (I probably won't have a car), fitness center and in room coffee.

Is it just me that gets totally annoyed by these fees? At the rates offered I can't fathom why this needs to be an extra fee?

Anyways, would love to hear more about the property. Thinking of going to check it out this week just to take a look since I'll be close by.
Old Jun 13, 2017, 10:16 am

Programs: DL Silver, SPG Gold
I stayed with my fiance here for a couple of nights after we were in LA for a bit of a getaway.

The grounds are absolutely gorgeous -- beautiful green grass. The town is small and the hotel feels like it's right off the main couple of streets. The walk up to the property was gorgeous. Everything about the exterior and grounds was nice. We walked in through what was the lobby and waiting area for the main dining area. The check-in area was small and a little dated, but it had character.

Our rooms were a short walk away from the main property. Most things here have a villa/bungalow feel. We were on the second level, with a raised boardwalk to the unit. It was very large. The bathroom was great. Our room had a patio and a fireplace with a couple of logs placed outside our room.

We ate in town for every meal except for breakfast (platinum benefit), which was delicious. The menu for other meals looked great and people seemed to enjoy themselves. There were quite a few kids there on our first day (Mother's Day) playing out in front yard. The Inn and the town as a whole seem geared towards an older, wealthier clientele that probably doesn't want to live in San Diego proper.

We really enjoyed our stay. We got our room at a great rate. Service was wonderful. I think it's a great addition to the Tribute Portfolio.
Old Jun 13, 2017, 10:37 am
Community Director Emerita

Originally Posted by beamer2000
The Inn and the town as a whole seem geared towards an older, wealthier clientele that probably doesn't want to live in San Diego proper.
That's a valid description. Very wealthy San Diegans tend to live between La Jolla and Rancho Santa Fe. Rancho Santa Fe attracts those who ride horses. Minimum lot size is large and some homes have their own stables. It's typical to see folks on horses on local horse trails. Rancho Santa Fe provides a very discreet environment for the wealthy. There's no home mail delivery by choice as folks don't want their addresses known. Folks have to go to the post office to pick up their mail.nny

Anyway, I digress. It's nice to see such a positive report on the Inn. I've been to events there and seen the beautiful setting but have not been in a room.
Old Jun 26, 2017, 1:23 pm

Programs: AA PP, SPG Plat, Hyatt Diamond, Nat ExecElite, WN CP
Wow just discovered this! A very nice addition to North County SD.

Will be heading there this week for a 5 night stay. Looking forward to it!

singtx or cherribabe - have you completed your stays/visits yet? Just curious to learn as much as I can.
Old Jun 26, 2017, 10:35 pm

Programs: UA Gold MM, AA EXP, Delta Platinum, Marriott Titanium, HHonors Diamond, Natl EE, Hertz Platinum
Agreed -- looking forward to hearing others' experiences here!
Old Jul 9, 2017, 5:17 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by cherribabe
When is your stay scheduled? I'd love to hear about it. I am considering a stay next week. The room rate is over $600 with taxes and I was both surprised and yet not surprised to see that included a $25/night amenity fee that covers wifi, parking (I probably won't have a car), fitness center and in room coffee.

Is it just me that gets totally annoyed by these fees? At the rates offered I can't fathom why this needs to be an extra fee?

Anyways, would love to hear more about the property. Thinking of going to check it out this week just to take a look since I'll be close by.
Next month. I grabbed a cash and points stay. They finally loaded the govt rate.

YES the $25 resort fee is BS!
Old Oct 16, 2017, 10:49 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
I just had a disappointing one night stay here. My basic conclusion is that this place is really not suitable for business travelers. The focus is very much on wedding parties.

Positives: The setting is beautiful and the staff are very nice and accommodating. I also did not mind the $25 resort fee, as it includes parking (much better than the places which charge a $30 resort fee plus $40 for parking).

I had all kinds of issues though:

• Booked a suite, but didn't get one at check-in. They "upgraded" me to a Grand Deluxe Room, which had a nice private patio and a soaking tub, but no separate living space and no desk. Given that I needed to work, this was a problem.
  • No SPG recognition or explanation of amenities. I had to ask.
  • Around 10 pm, there was a strong smell of smoke in the room. It was from the room next door which had a wood burning fireplace. Thus began a lengthy back and forth with the (very nice) front desk agent about solutions. Wound up moving to a large suite near the pool.
  • Phone system was down the entire stay. They didn't proactively notify guests, so until this was explained to me, I thought the front desk just wasn't answering the phone. If you wanted any kind of service, you had to walk to the front desk. It's a fairly spread out property, so this was pretty inconvenient.
  • Internet was not very good. Download speeds were 3-4 mbps.
  • Breakfast amenity is continental or an $18 credit. Didn't get to check this out, as the service (1 server, no busboys) was glacially slow and I had to leave for a meeting in Del Mar.
  • At check-out, was told they computers were down. They couldn't print me a receipt, send me a receipt, or even tell me how much I owed. Still not sure what I'll be charged.
Old Oct 16, 2017, 12:51 pm
Suspended
Aman Contributor BadgeMarriott 25+ Badge

Programs: Marriott Ambassador and LTT, UA Plat/LT Gold, AA Gold
Originally Posted by Kacee
I just had a disappointing one night stay here. My basic conclusion is that this place is really not suitable for business travelers. The focus is very much on wedding parties.

Positives: The setting is beautiful and the staff are very nice and accommodating. I also did not mind the $25 resort fee, as it includes parking (much better than the places which charge a $30 resort fee plus $40 for parking).

I had all kinds of issues though:

• Booked a suite, but didn't get one at check-in. They "upgraded" me to a Grand Deluxe Room, which had a nice private patio and a soaking tub, but no separate living space and no desk. Given that I needed to work, this was a problem.
  • No SPG recognition or explanation of amenities. I had to ask.
  • Around 10 pm, there was a strong smell of smoke in the room. It was from the room next door which had a wood burning fireplace. Thus began a lengthy back and forth with the (very nice) front desk agent about solutions. Wound up moving to a large suite near the pool.
  • Phone system was down the entire stay. They didn't proactively notify guests, so until this was explained to me, I thought the front desk just wasn't answering the phone. If you wanted any kind of service, you had to walk to the front desk. It's a fairly spread out property, so this was pretty inconvenient.
  • Internet was not very good. Download speeds were 3-4 mbps.
  • Breakfast amenity is continental or an $18 credit. Didn't get to check this out, as the service (1 server, no busboys) was glacially slow and I had to leave for a meeting in Del Mar.
  • At check-out, was told they computers were down. They couldn't print me a receipt, send me a receipt, or even tell me how much I owed. Still not sure what I'll be charged.
YIKES. I'd be furious.

I definitely would contact SPG Customer Service or the Plat line if you have Plat status. I would expect with all that went wrong that you were due the entire night refunded to you with an invitation to return on their dime for a night to prove they've fixed all that clearly ails them.

Othwrwise, I'd never stay again. Certainly, I won't be staying here ever or recommending them until I hear differently.
Old Dec 7, 2018, 6:17 pm
SPG 5+ Badge

Programs: Marriott Ambassador, Lifetime Titanium, Delta Plat, Hilton Diamond , Hyatt Globalist
Has anyone stayed here who can advise on the different room types? The descriptions on the website are woefully inadequate and there are very few photos.

I think we are going to try a 1 night stay here just to check it out and use an expiring SNA.

If we like the hotel this could be a nice Staycation option for us.

Also— can anyone confirm if this is officially a Resort for Late Check out purposes?

Last edited by damon88; Dec 8, 2018 at 12:55 am
Old Dec 7, 2018, 8:55 pm

Programs: AA EXP/*wood Plat/Hilton Gold/Hyatt Discoverist
Originally Posted by damon88
Has anyone stayed here who can advise on the different room types? The descriptions on the website are woefully inadequate and there are very few photos.

I think we are going to try a 1 night stay here just to check it out and use an expiring SNA.

If we like the hotel this could be a nice Staycation option for us.

Also— can anyone confirm if this is officially a Resort for Late Check our purposes?
All the rooms are sizeable, almost to the point they are too big due to lack of furniture. Some noticeable age as well. Bathrooms are older, but passable. It’s a very nice property and food is very good overall. The casita-style works for a staycation, same with the grounds, and location. However, don’t expect a four seasons resort and you’ll be fine.
damon88 and bhrubin like this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.