Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Moxy Tokyo Kinshicho Japan [Master Thread]

Hide Wikipost
Old Mar 31, 20, 8:54 pm   -   Wikipost
Please read: This is a community-maintained wiki post containing the most important information from this thread. You may edit the Wiki once you have been on FT for 90 days and have made 90 posts.

Last edit by: htb
Wiki Link
* The hotel provides breakfast to Gold/Plats. This is hotel specific, not brand specific (until August 1, when free brekkie kicks in at Moxys).
--> This is no longer true since the Bonvoy changes. Platinum members can either get $10/day/person or 500 points/stay as welcome benefit. The $10 voucher can be applied for breakfast and requires an additional payment of around 200 JPY.
* The rooms facing the highway are extremely noisy. For light sleeper, please request rooms facing the SkyTree
* Come out of the south exit of Kinshicho station, walk towards the big pedestrian crossing slightly to your right, cross the street, turn right and then turn left. Walk two blocks and you will see the Moxy on the left across the first set of traffic lights.
Print Wikipost

Old May 12, 17, 6:08 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend
Original Poster

Programs: UALifetimePremierGold, Marriott LifetimeTitanium

Opening November 2017. Cat 7.

From Marriott press release:

"Moxy Tokyo Kinshicho, a modern hotel with an industrial chic design, will open in the heart of historic Kinshicho in Tokyo. A short walk from Kinshicho Station, one of Tokyo’s busiest train stations, guests will be able to easily navigate their way to some of the capital’s major tourist attractions such as Asakusa, Tokyo Sky Tree and Tokyo Disneyland, as well as Haneda and Narita airports. Owned by Goldman Sachs and managed by Tokyo-based commercial real estate developer Pacifica Capital K.K., the hotel is a conversion from a stand-alone office building, and will feature 205 bedrooms."

Cheers.
polyesther likes this.

Last edited by SkiAdcock; Oct 14, 17 at 11:29 am Reason: add category...
Old Sep 6, 17, 12:27 pm

The hotel projects to open on 1 November 17.

You can already book a night (1 Nov) on the Website. There is a "Grand Opening Night" promotion which offers triple points (rate is 14,500 JPY). The night of 1 Nov is the only night you can book at this stage - and it's cash only. No word on the rewards category yet.
Old Sep 6, 17, 1:38 pm
Original Poster

Thanks for the update. Cheers.
Old Sep 6, 17, 8:53 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend, Moderator, Information Desk, Ambassador, Alaska Airlines
Hilton Contributor BadgeIHG Contributor Badge

Programs: AS MVP Gold75K, AS 1MM, Maika`i Card, AGR, HH Gold, Hertz PC, Marriott LTG, SPG Gold, CO, 7H, BA, 8E
Glad to have more options in TYO. Guessing building up for 2020
Old Sep 10, 17, 10:38 am
cln

Programs: TK E+, Bonvoy LT Plat, Hilton Diamond, IHG Platinum, Dusit Gold
yeah, no rewards category yet and no rooms bookable with points
Old Sep 11, 17, 9:05 am

Rewards Category

With the CY Tokyo Station moving to a Cat. 7 property in August (unannounced), I believe there is a good chance that this Moxy will become a Cat. 6 property. (Same as the London Moxies).

This would give Marriott consistency in property categories:
FS in Tokyo = Cat. 8; CY = Cat. 7; Moxy = Cat. 6
Old Oct 11, 17, 9:53 am

Programs: KF, SPG Platinum, Marriott Platinum, Hilton Gold
anyone stayed at this property yet? What was the previous name of the hotel at this building?
Old Oct 11, 17, 10:11 am
Moderator, Virgin Atlantic

Programs: VS Red, Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium - earned out of our own pocket!.
Originally Posted by elephentravels View Post
anyone stayed at this property yet? .....
Post higher in thread says it opens November. Did this change?
We are looking at it for early next year.

Nick
Old Oct 11, 17, 1:37 pm

Programs: Marriott Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, UA Silver, National Executive
Shows up now as a Cat 7
Old Nov 13, 17, 6:02 pm

Does anyone know whether this hotel offers complimentary breakfast to Platinum members?
Old Nov 13, 17, 6:19 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by puchong View Post
Does anyone know whether this hotel offers complimentary breakfast to Platinum members?
It's a Moxy so presumably no. While normally most Asia properties go above & beyond, this is still a limited service brand aimed at millennials so odds are no. But if you stay there, please report back! Thx.

Cheers.
Old Nov 15, 17, 5:59 pm
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

I guess I'm too old to stay there because I was totally turned off by a friend's pictures from the opening party. It looked like a club atmosphere. Dancers, DJs and kind of trashy in my opinion.
Old Dec 12, 17, 4:30 am

Programs: UA MM, SQ KrisFlyer, SPG/Marriott Plat
I stayed at the Moxy Kinshicho recently; one night to try it out.

First off, it's in eastern Tokyo, at a major train station, Kinshicho. The best way to get there is to take the Sobu line Rapid from Tokyo station. Alternatively, you can take the Chuo-Sobu (slow) line from Akibahara to Kinshicho. Exit the station from the south exit, walk to the main street and turn right. in about half a block you will see a 7-11. Turn left and cross the main road. Go down a couple of blocks. You will see the Moxy on your left directly across the street from a Mini Stop.

There is definitely a younger vibe at this hotel. They have a DJ spinning on weekends. You check in at the bar (on the left as you enter). The general attitude is friendly and casual. And all of their staff speak fluent English. The rooms are small but nice. Think of a upgraded version of a Japanese business hotel. They also have a coin laundry in the basement which was the most popular spot after hours. As a Marriott Platinum, there was breakfast; an interesting buffet of breads, cereal, yoghurt and made to order miso and noodles. The clients were on the younger side too. No stuffy senior citizens or corporate types whining about the fact that the Moxy isn't full service and they should have free water in the rooms (they don't). It was fun, definitely not trashy.

One of the staff, a guy named Kei walked my friend and I down to a yakiniku place he recommended on his break. The place is called Jo Joen and it was in one of the high rises adjacent to JR Kinshicho. Wound have been a lot harder to find it without the assist. Kei brought us upstairs and got us a nice table overseeing the station plaza. The niku was excellent.

I will be staying here regularly on future Tokyo visits.

Nice and firm bed with warm covers.

No closet in the room. Clothes and furniture gets hung on the wall, like in a business hotel.

Nightstand next to bed

Shower room; no bathtub here.

They also sell an interesting mix of instant noodles. Odd, since there's a Mini Stop across the street.

Last edited by abraxis; Dec 12, 17 at 1:15 pm
Old Dec 12, 17, 10:24 am
Original Poster

Thanks for the trip report. Much appreciated.

Cheers.
Old Jan 6, 18, 5:27 am
eap

Programs: AS MVP 75K, UA 1MM
Thumbs up

My recent experience was similar to abraxis's. Here are a few minor updates:

First, a "Member Rate - Grand Opening Offer, 2000 Bonus Points per stay" rate is available. It is refundable with one day notice and prices out to less than the AAA rate.

I was given breakfast chits as a Gold member, which is a perk of this specific hotel, not the Moxy brand. I was also given a cocktail at check-in and an additional free drink each day in the form of a poker chip being left in the room by housekeeping.

They have added a few basic amenities to the rooms, including two bottles of water and a basic toiletries kit. I was told this was to accommodate local business people who stay here. (This may make sense given how inebriated everyone was when I walked over from Kinshicho late at night...)

Overall, the best experience I've had with a "no thrills" Marriott brand. I would certainly stay here again.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: