Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Moxy Tokyo Kinshicho Japan [Master Thread]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 6, 2018, 9:33 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: htb
* The hotel provides breakfast to Gold/Plats. This is hotel specific, not brand specific (until August 1, when free brekkie kicks in at Moxys).
--> This is no longer true since the Bonvoy changes. Platinum members can either get $10/day/person or 500 points/stay as welcome benefit. The $10 voucher can be applied for breakfast and requires an additional payment of around 200 JPY.
* The rooms facing the highway are extremely noisy. For light sleeper, please request rooms facing the SkyTree
* Come out of the south exit of Kinshicho station, walk towards the big pedestrian crossing slightly to your right, cross the street, turn right and then turn left. Walk two blocks and you will see the Moxy on the left across the first set of traffic lights.
Print Wikipost

Moxy Tokyo Kinshicho Japan [Master Thread]

Search this Thread

Old Jan 7, 2018, 9:14 am

Programs: Hyatt Globalist
Thanks for the reviews! Really excited to try it at the end of the month.
Old Jan 7, 2018, 10:06 pm

Programs: IHG Diamond, Marriott Platinum, Hilton Gold, oneworld Emerald
Originally Posted by Aventine
I guess I'm too old to stay there because I was totally turned off by a friend's pictures from the opening party. It looked like a club atmosphere. Dancers, DJs and kind of trashy in my opinion.
Are these uploaded somewhere in public access?
Old Jan 17, 2018, 4:16 am

Programs: AA Gold, Marriott Platinum, Hilton Diamond, National Executive Elite
Thanks for the photos and details, looks very cool. Am looking forward to my first stay at a Moxy (and breakfast)!
Old Feb 6, 2018, 11:46 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend
Original Poster

Programs: UALifetimePremierGold, Marriott LifetimeTitanium
Moxy Debuts in Japan with ?Playhouse? Party, Reliving Japanese Fun Through Different Cultural Eras | Marriott News Center

"Provocative, confident and cheeky – Marriott International’s bold experiential brand, Moxy Hotels, created the ultimate ‘playhouse’ at the Moxy Tokyo Kinshicho to celebrate the debut of the brand in Japan. Inspired by subcultures of play in Tokyo, the party showcased the costume, gaming and underground music culture that are the iconic lifeblood of the city. Attended by more than 350 guests, the opening party saw the likes of Japanese TV personality Maggy and celebrity DJs Kaori, Yuka Mizuhara and Alissa Ueno.

Situated at the intersection of two cultural currents – steadfast tradition and ever influential trend-setting – Tokyo represents the best of both. Despite perceptions of conformity, Japan is also famous for the influence of its subcultures, mixing punk with petticoats, the dramatic with the demure, action heroes with “kawaii” (cuteness)."

More in press release...
Old May 4, 2018, 3:36 am

Programs: AA Gold, Marriott Platinum, Hilton Diamond, National Executive Elite
1st stay at a Moxy, and absolutely loved it. Am actually a millennial, and live in a new apartment block in a "hip" part of town. The property made me feel like I was at home, except the lobby was staffed with people, had a café/bar, and nice music. It was also DJ night but the music was nice and atmospheric. The café side was especially good to sit down for some PC work or just to have a quiet chat.

Plat arrival gift was 200 Marriott Points, or an extra drink and snack. Drink is whatever you want on the menu, and the snack was Hokkaido salmon jerky. Staff were very friendly, and also gave us tickets for breakfast (for Golds or higher?). Breakfast buffet had a nice selection of things, but the coolest part was they also served ramen. Just order at the counter and pick it up in a few mins.

I'm already sold on the experience, and given how low the price is I'm staying at as many Moxys as possible on future trips. What on earth were people complaining about? If I'm not on vacation and spending all day at a Ritz-Carlton or Four Seasons, this kind of place is everything I could ask for.
Old May 4, 2018, 11:20 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend
Original Poster

Programs: UALifetimePremierGold, Marriott LifetimeTitanium
Thanks for the update. Much appreciated.

Cheers.
Old May 11, 2018, 8:23 am

Programs: UA Plat; *A Gold; Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by abraxis
The clients were on the younger side too. No stuffy senior citizens or corporate types whining about the fact that the Moxy isn't full service and they should have free water in the rooms (they don't). It was fun, definitely not trashy.
OK, this line made me laugh out loud. And yes, that stuffy corporate type, that's me!

Considering staying here during a 14 hour layover between flights from Haneda. Is the hotel as hard to find as it sounds? I don't speak or read Japanese but am perfectly fine using the trains. My experience with mapping on my iPhone in Tokyo is hit and miss once you get into tiny side streets.
jrm68 likes this.
Old May 11, 2018, 11:24 am
Senior Moderator, Moderator: Community Buzz and Ambassador: Miles & More (Lufthansa, Austrian, Swiss, and other partners)

Programs: LH SEN** HH Diamond
Originally Posted by Brucemcdou
OK, this line made me laugh out loud. And yes, that stuffy corporate type, that's me!

Considering staying here during a 14 hour layover between flights from Haneda. Is the hotel as hard to find as it sounds? I don't speak or read Japanese but am perfectly fine using the trains. My experience with mapping on my iPhone in Tokyo is hit and miss once you get into tiny side streets.
Come out of the south exit of Kinshicho station, walk towards the big pedestrian crossing slightly to your right, cross the street, turn right and then turn left. Walk two blocks and you will see the Moxy on the left across the first set of traffic lights.

I stayed there for several days last month (split into three separate stays) with another FTer and his family and we loved it. Not sure about stuffy corporate type but some senior citizens have certainly found it.
Attached Images  
Old May 11, 2018, 11:29 am

Originally Posted by NewbieRunner
Come out of the south exit of Kinshicho station, walk towards the big pedestrian crossing slightly to your right, cross the street, turn right and then turn left. Walk two blocks and you will see the Moxy on the left across the first set of traffic lights.

I stayed there for several days last month (split into three separate stays) with another FTer and his family and we loved it. Not sure about stuffy corporate type but some senior citizens have certainly found it.
It was pretty easy to find with Google Maps. It’s not that far from the train station.

I really enjoyed my stay there. It was fun and modern. Very Japanese and yet modern.
Old May 12, 2018, 2:18 pm

Programs: UA Plat; *A Gold; Marriott Gold
SB03 and NewbieRunner - thanks for the details and the encouragement!
Old May 16, 2018, 5:33 am

Programs: UA 1K
I am in the middle of a stay and concur with the previous reports regarding the quality and the comfort. But I do have to share my utter disgust with the swill that this hotel calls coffee. I tried both the drip, served at breakfast and throughout the day, and the espresso, from the bar, and couldn't stomach more than a sip of each. Just revolting.
Old May 17, 2018, 9:06 am

Originally Posted by nobodyherebutme
I am in the middle of a stay and concur with the previous reports regarding the quality and the comfort. But I do have to share my utter disgust with the swill that this hotel calls coffee. I tried both the drip, served at breakfast and throughout the day, and the espresso, from the bar, and couldn't stomach more than a sip of each. Just revolting.
The quality of breakfast is only so so, but the space is just so cool (and not in a "I'm too hip for you" W kind of way). I love the Nitendos there
Old May 17, 2018, 11:34 am

Programs: Marriott , United, Delta, Priority Club
I have not stayed at this Moxy but stayed at the one in Osaka in late March. Yes, they are a little different but very clean and convenient. I'm 6'4" but surprisingly the bed was quite long. There are footlights that automatically turn on for you when you get up and walk past them. Very helpful when you get up in the night to go to the bathroom, etc. The staff there was awesome and spoke very good English, especially compared to the other motel I stayed in pre-tour. Moxy staff was so helpful that when I checked out and asked how to hail a cab in Japan, the clerk walked me out, hailed the cab for me and told the driver where I was going. I would stay at these hotels again without hesitation!!
Old May 27, 2018, 9:47 pm

Just stay here last week. I used to stay at business district like Shinagawa (Marriott Tokyo/ Sakura Tower / IC String) or Shinjiku (Hyatt), I would say comparing Moxy to them is unfair. I like the area nearby, it's less crowded and more friendly. There's a very cheap sushi shop in the JR station called "MORI". However, the room is really small, but you get what you pay, fair enough.

Pros:
- Kinshicho is highly accessible, with direct (and cheap) JR train to Narita Airport. Going to Haneda Airport only required one transfer.
- Walking distance to train stations, there is a supermarket on the road from JR to the hotel. 7-11 and Mini-stop opposited to the hotel
- Cheap price
- Free lockers for storing your luggage.

Cons:
- Red light district downstairs (maybe pros for some), could be noisy at night when the drunk men screaming like crazy late at night
- Foldable table/chair only; no fridge / teabags / coffees; drinking cup = tooth brushing cup; no bathrobes / bathtubes; the shampoo / conditioner is 2-in-1, still very oily after washing
- Breakfast, only take that at day 1 and give up. Serve the purpose but don't expect too much.
- Small room. the rooms facing the highway are extremely noisy, switched room the next morning. For light sleeper, please request rooms facing the SkyTree

Btw, this hotel refuse to take any Marriott eGiftcard.
Old May 28, 2018, 5:35 am

Originally Posted by woresu
Just stay here last week. I used to stay at business district like Shinagawa (Marriott Tokyo/ Sakura Tower / IC String) or Shinjiku (Hyatt), I would say comparing Moxy to them is unfair. I like the area nearby, it's less crowded and more friendly. There's a very cheap sushi shop in the JR station called "MORI". However, the room is really small, but you get what you pay, fair enough.

Pros:
- Kinshicho is highly accessible, with direct (and cheap) JR train to Narita Airport. Going to Haneda Airport only required one transfer.
- Walking distance to train stations, there is a supermarket on the road from JR to the hotel. 7-11 and Mini-stop opposited to the hotel
- Cheap price
- Free lockers for storing your luggage.

Cons:
- Red light district downstairs (maybe pros for some), could be noisy at night when the drunk men screaming like crazy late at night
- Foldable table/chair only; no fridge / teabags / coffees; drinking cup = tooth brushing cup; no bathrobes / bathtubes; the shampoo / conditioner is 2-in-1, still very oily after washing
- Breakfast, only take that at day 1 and give up. Serve the purpose but don't expect too much.
- Small room. the rooms facing the highway are extremely noisy, switched room the next morning. For light sleeper, please request rooms facing the SkyTree

Btw, this hotel refuse to take any Marriott eGiftcard.
It was perfect when I was traveling alone and out and about during most of the day.

I'll be in Osaka soon. This time I'm traveling with a parent, and as much as I liked my Moxy experience in Tokyo, I just don't think the brand is a right fit.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.