Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Moxy NYC Times Square [Master Thread]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Moxy NYC Times Square [Master Thread]

Search this Thread

Old Oct 3, 2017, 5:57 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend
Original Poster

Programs: UALifetimePremierGold, Marriott LifetimeTitanium
Thanks for the update (including that it's closer to garment district). Much appreciated.

Cheers.
Old Oct 3, 2017, 2:32 pm

Programs: Marriott LTT, Amtrak Select, Hertz 5*, AA Gold, IHG Plat, National Exec
Originally Posted by SkiAdcock
Thanks for the update (including that it's closer to garment district). Much appreciated.

Cheers.
Can’t believe I left that point out of my review. I didn’t need/want to be in TS. But 7th and 36th is Times Square my a—.
Old Oct 3, 2017, 2:35 pm

Programs: UA MM, MB LifeTit
From Sunday's NYT Travel section:

https://www.nytimes.com/2017/09/19/t...-new-york.html
Old Oct 4, 2017, 5:48 pm

Programs: Marriott, PP, Plat for life, Ambassador
Originally Posted by SkiAdcock

Cheers.
No worries, yea I thought that was kind of an important point. I actually like staying in Times Square area for the fun, touristy vibe.

I hope I wasnt bashing the Moxie, its just not my style. But if I was a millennial....It would be my new favorite NY pad. Their attention to details is spot on for their target guests. Another fun point is that they give you a custom 'subway' token good for a free drink at the bar......and I forgot it in the room hahah.

Favorite NYC properties? Essex House, Renaissance New York Times Square (the bar overlooking Times Square is cool and you get a coupon for 2 free apps) great rooms/location, Lexington/Algonquin (both have an historic feel but smaller rooms), Courtyard New York/Manhattan Times Square West, nice size rooms. We avoid the New York Marriott Marquis, the bar overlooking Times Square is great, but we have had run ins with rude staff enough times to cross it off the NYC list permanently.
Old Oct 4, 2017, 6:58 pm

Programs: Marriott LTT, Amtrak Select, Hertz 5*, AA Gold, IHG Plat, National Exec
Originally Posted by captainbaker

Another fun point is that they give you a custom 'subway' token good for a free drink at the bar......and I forgot it in the room hahah.
You didn’t miss much. At the front desk, they made it sound like “free drink”. I went up with it, and I ask the bartender, can I get anything I want. “No, the only thing you can get is this strawberry prosecco thing”.
Old Jun 17, 2018, 7:27 am

Programs: Marriott/SPG Ambassador, Delta Diamond, Hertz Platinum
I was looking for a quick overnight in NYC and this property is selling for $99 tonight. Probably the cheapest rate you'll ever see at a Marriott brand in Manhattan. Thought I'd note it here for future reference.

(Though based on the reviews/photos, I will not be staying.)

Last edited by VisaW; Jun 17, 2018 at 7:58 am
Old Jun 17, 2018, 12:07 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend
Original Poster

Programs: UALifetimePremierGold, Marriott LifetimeTitanium
For a quick overnight for $99 I'd stay there! Longer stay maybe somewhere else, but you won't get cheaper in Manhattan than $99 & for a quick overnight would seem to be a no-brainer.

Cheers.
Old Jun 18, 2018, 7:14 am
pvn
Suspended

Programs: Starbucks Green Card
I've stayed here twice, both times it was check in at 11:00 PM, check out at 6:30 AM, and it gets the job done.
Old Jul 26, 2018, 6:08 pm
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: AA EXP, UA LT Ag, Marriott LT Ti, Hyatt Glob, Avis PC, Busted-Knuckles Club Grand Poobah.
Unsuited for more than one night. No storage. Your desk and chair are folded up and hanging from the wall. Tiny room with no Marriott Platinum Elite upgrade. Slow elevators. Very expensive; my rate varied from $199 to $399 during a four-night stay, but it was a pretty last-minute booking and everything else was more.

Stupidly-thick duvet (it's JULY FFS) with no sheet under it -- gross, because doubtful they strip the cover off after every guest -- means you'll wake up roasting then freezing 37 times a night because the wall AC blows cold air right over the bed. I had to request a blanket and sheet to sleep comfortably, like, you know, in a NORMAL BED. The AC shuts off during the day so your room will be a stifling moist box for about 30 minutes once you turn the AC back on, and you can't set it lower than 68F but it does cool down enough to be comfortable.

Bouncers in the lobby at night because it's some kind of hot spot for thin pretty young people. Not a lot of great food options in the area because Times Square sucked all the life out of it. I didn't eat here. There's a couple of decent places on 35th west of 7th. Yeah, "Times Square" is a stretch at 36th and 7th. Close to RW train and Herald Square.
Old Jun 10, 2019, 1:46 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold, A3 Gold, FB Gold, Bonvoy Titanium / LTP, Accor Plat
Does the Moxy TS have lockers to store luggage like other Moxies?

Has any plat had an upgrade here? They do have different room types, and I do generally get upgrades at European Moxy hotels. The Bonvoy T&Cs also don't exclude Moxys. I don't really mind and in this case price is the key driver, but a larger bed would be nice

Was looking for a cheap hotel close to Penn station to overnight (arrive by train from DC, leave from JFK so being close to LIRR also nice). Cheap alternatives nearby include the Courtyard Manhattan TS (can't find a thread here), Fairfield Inn and Suites NY Manhattan Fifth Avenue, and the 4P Sheraton Midtown. And I like the Moxy style generally, but I will have luggage
Old Jun 11, 2019, 6:04 am

Programs: UA 1K, Bonvoy LTTE, HH Dia, HY Expl
Originally Posted by typical
Has any plat had an upgrade here? They do have different room types, and I do generally get upgrades at European Moxy hotels. The Bonvoy T&Cs also don't exclude Moxys. I don't really mind and in this case price is the key driver, but a larger bed would be nice
Details on the room options the hotel has have can be found here:
https://www.marriott.com/hotels/hote...-times-square/

As for upgrades, I haven't seen any reports of major upgrades but as always YMMV...but likely just to a larger room than the one you book.

As for lockers, honestly I would find it strange if a hotel in NYC in the TS area offered luggage storage without having someone to actually take your bag but you never know. They definitely offer some type of storage option based on the below from the FAQs:

http://moxy-hotels.marriott.com/nyc/timessquare/faqs/

Q: Does Moxy Times Square store luggage?
A:
Yes storage is available – just ask our *epic* crew for more details when you check-in.

Last edited by christianj; Jun 11, 2019 at 6:10 am
Old Jun 12, 2019, 6:29 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Thanks. Threw a SNA at it and quickly got confirmed to a King corner room (as expected - that was the largest room they seemed to have left available).
Old Jun 12, 2019, 7:37 am

Programs: UA 1K, Bonvoy LTTE, HH Dia, HY Expl
Originally Posted by typical
Threw a SNA at it and quickly got confirmed to a King corner room (as expected - that was the largest room they seemed to have left available).
So an SNA only got you a King Corner Room and not a Studio Suite/1 Bedroom Suite?
Old Jun 17, 2019, 6:56 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by christianj
So an SNA only got you a King Corner Room and not a Studio Suite/1 Bedroom Suite?
Yes - there were no Suites available.

Thoughts:
- The SNA was worth it for the larger bed, but the room was otherwise not so great. The side-on bed with no space to walk in front of it meant clambering over a bedmate in order to get in and out. I think I'd have been better with a standard King. The bathroom sliding door didn't leave much to the imagination, sound-wise.
- The gym is seriously impressive for a property in this price range.
- $5 for a box of water in the room was also impressive, but not in a good way.
- Hilariously they were giving the boxed water away for free in the gym, because the dispenser was broken.
- Water from the room sink was tinted rust. I couldn't bring myself to drink it.
- There is a huge, well-used and constantly staffed luggage room for storage. Very appreciated.
- The elevator music is LOUD and the touch-screens didn't seem very reliable (more than once got into the highlighted elevator to find my floor wasn't showing).
- Location is really good for Penn Station. And Shake Shack. I would return for a cheap overnight.
- I wouldn't rush back otherwise, despite being a fan of Moxys in general. Though the gym could still swing it.

My friend commented "it reminds me of a hostel in Amsterdam" and I struggled to disagree.
Old Oct 9, 2021, 2:05 am

Programs: Alaska, Bonvoy, HH
If you're in the target demo for this (I am, just barely) it can be quite a fun place to be, though I was also on my own and didn't have to share the awkward space with anybody else.
Unfortunately, after departing I realized I had been bitten all over. *ahem*

YMMV.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.