Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Delta Hotels Grand Rapids Airport Michigan [Master Thread]

Old Aug 20, 2017, 2:56 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: SkiAdcock
Free airport shuttle from GRR airport. Free on-site parking.
Print Wikipost

Old Apr 18, 2017, 10:36 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend
Original Poster

Programs: UALifetimePremierGold, Marriott LifetimeTitanium

Hotel website:

http://www.marriott.com/hotels/trave...apids-airport/

Cat 5. Opening June 2017.

"At the intersection of 28th Street and the East Beltline, the hotel is conveniently located 4 miles from the Gerald R. Ford International Airport and 15 minutes from downtown.

Nestled between the Woodland and CenterPointe Malls, the hotel is also within walking distance of a plethora of dining and entertainment options. Delta Hotel is connected to Old Chicago Pizza & Taproom which also provides our in-room dining. Other local points of interest within 10 miles from the hotel include: Frederik Meijer Gardens, John Ball Zoo and 5 colleges and universities."
Old Apr 18, 2017, 11:28 am

Programs: AAdvantage Platinum, United Silver, Marriott Titanium Elite
Ramada Plaza Grand Rapids Michigan reflagged to Delta Hotels brand.
Old Aug 8, 2017, 2:50 pm
Original Poster

Now opening August 2017.
Old Aug 20, 2017, 7:55 am

Programs: AA EXP/2.9mm | Marriott LT Titanium 1.6k nights | NEXUS
Originally Posted by SkiAdcock
Hotel website:

http://www.marriott.com/hotels/trave...apids-airport/

Cat 5. Opening June 2017.

"At the intersection of 28th Street and the East Beltline, the hotel is conveniently located 4 miles from the Gerald R. Ford International Airport and 15 minutes from downtown.

Nestled between the Woodland and CenterPointe Malls, the hotel is also within walking distance of a plethora of dining and entertainment options. Delta Hotel is connected to Old Chicago Pizza & Taproom which also provides our in-room dining. Other local points of interest within 10 miles from the hotel include: Frederik Meijer Gardens, John Ball Zoo and 5 colleges and universities."

I was back in Grand Rapids again 3 weeks ago, but was in the JW. I would never stay at the corner of the east beltline and 28th.

28th is a horrible master plan 5-lane mess. It goes from a mass of fast food to aging large and strip malls to the thug zone in Wyoming and beyond. The income and education demographics for this area are not what you want.

You cant walk anywhere on 28th and driving is almost as bad. Marriott buying the Radisson in front of Woodland Mall and converting it to its Delta brand for "high end travelers." [lol] Marriott usually does a decent job in branding but no way would anyone with common sense and business in the area stay there. The only decent retailer in either of those aging malls is Apple. I think there is a Smashburger and 5 guys nearby and thats it. You have to cross 5 lanes of traffic to get there. No entertainment at all. No parks, trails or riverfront. And its in "Rentwood"which says it all. Pass.

There is no reason to be on 28th if you are not a local. The SHS is in a far better location set off from 28th at least and is closer to the airport if proximity matters. Its a pretty good property.
Old Aug 20, 2017, 8:37 am
Original Poster

I've stayed in the area before on business. Guess I don't have any common sense Also not far away is East Grand Rapids, which is an upscale area & has a great center area called Gaslamp Village & Reed Lake is next to it.

It's good for Marriott folk to have different options, whether it be the Delta or SHS. They're closer to the airport than the options near Rivertown mall or downtown GR. Not all can afford the JW.

Cheers.
LPCJr likes this.
Old Aug 20, 2017, 2:12 pm

Programs: Marriott LTT, Amtrak Select, Hertz 5*, AA Gold, IHG Plat, National Exec
Originally Posted by AATrout
no way would anyone with common sense and business in the area stay there.
Marriott is a pretty savvy business. I'm sure that if they moved forward with this, they are confident that there is a a sufficient business-traveler presence in the area and that the property will be in a position to succeed. marriott is not going to take the risk if they aren't confident there's a market. I guess there are a lot of business travelers without common sense that frequent that area
Old Aug 20, 2017, 2:54 pm
Original Poster

I'm in EGR (East Grand Rapids) for a week. I'll give a call to the property & if it's open, drive over & get a tour/take some pictures/find out what they do for brekkie for elites & post in the thread.

As I noted, the more options in GR/different brands, the better for Marriott elites.

Cheers.
Old Aug 21, 2017, 11:08 am

Programs: AA EXP/2.9mm | Marriott LT Titanium 1.6k nights | NEXUS
I'll stick my assessment of that area and look forward to what you hear/see about the Delta. Maybe Marriott is trying to once again get in that area of 28th street. The adjacent Homewood Suites was once a failed Residence Inn that was pretty rough.

If I had business downtown but didn't want or need to stay there I would be at the SHS or Courtyard. North on the Beltline - there are traffic signals and nothing else until you reach I-96. Faster and hassle free trip from the SHS or Courtyard.

You may not recall but east of I-96 where 28th is much better for driving and with decent restaurants - the former FS Marriott (now a Holiday Inn express) was a nice location: easy in and out and 2 minutes to I-96.

I am from Grand Rapids and after leaving, for almost 17 years, practiced downtown for 7 years. I am pretty familiar with the area and have opinions shared by business colleagues downtown, including the area around the new Delta. Because of their work they have given me a heads up on at least 3-5 new Marriott family properties.

One reportedly will be an AC downtown. A FS Marriott at minimum is on line for the tech/corporate park area southwest of the airport. This area is pretty quiet but a short hop to Caledonia which is really nice suburb - light traffic, good restaurants. Easy connection to M6 if you need to go downtown.

A couple more, in the extreme south end and civilized part of Wyoming near the health center complex are also planned.

The GRBJ links below require a subscription, but non-subscribers get to view a number of articles without charge.

If I were you I would drive down M-37 and check out the area where the FS is proposed, and drive into Caledonia. You may find it a good area.

Future AC downtown

3 more Marriott properties around 60th

FS Marriott Gaines TWP (SW of GRR)
Old Aug 21, 2017, 11:19 am
Original Poster

Since I live in the area I'm familiar w/ GR, but don't think we need to sidetrack this property thread which pertains to the Delta property with posts re: other potential properties, etc, in GR. If you'd like to start a thread re: expansion in GR, go for it.

And not everyone who visits GR for bizness has bizness downtown (biznesses do exist in other parts of GR ). I've stayed at dif properties on 28th street, including near the Delta. It's hardly a ghetto The Delta provides a cost-effective option for Marriott elites who need to be in the GR area.

Cheers.
Old Aug 22, 2017, 8:23 am
Suspended

Programs: Delta Diamond, Marriott Ambassador & Lifetime Titanium, Hertz President's Circle, United Silver
Originally Posted by Horace
Ramada Plaza Grand Rapids Michigan reflagged to Delta Hotels brand.
I was by this hotel in July. Lots of construction trailers.

Ramada to a brand in the Marriott portfolio is a big change. The re-flagging normally goes the other way.
Old Aug 22, 2017, 8:23 am
Suspended

Programs: Delta Diamond, Marriott Ambassador & Lifetime Titanium, Hertz President's Circle, United Silver
Originally Posted by AATrout
I was back in Grand Rapids again 3 weeks ago, but was in the JW. I would never stay at the corner of the east beltline and 28th.
Isn't this hotel about 5 minutes from Calvin College?
Old Aug 22, 2017, 8:24 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by hockeyinsider
Isn't this hotel about 5 minutes from Calvin College?
Yes.
Old Aug 22, 2017, 8:27 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by SkiAdcock
Yes.
Thought so. I'm guessing Calvin will be a big customer.

By the way, reservations are still be taken on the Ramada website:

https://www.wyndhamhotels.com/ramada...iata=00065402#
Old Aug 22, 2017, 8:32 am
Original Poster

Just talked to the property. The FDC said his best guess on when it switches from Ramada to Delta is Sept 1st or 2nd. He said Marriott conversion team is on-site & next week expects to get sign-off/they switch.

Cheers.
Old Aug 22, 2017, 8:45 am
Suspended

Here are some pictures the hotel posted on its Facebook page:

Rooms - https://scontent-ort2-2.xx.fbcdn.net...5d&oe=5A3662B7 and https://scontent-ort2-2.xx.fbcdn.net...12&oe=5A1AEC74

Bathroom - https://scontent-ort2-2.xx.fbcdn.net...02&oe=5A207CC6

Lobby - https://scontent-ort2-2.xx.fbcdn.net...54&oe=5A303E5F

Lobby - https://scontent-ort2-2.xx.fbcdn.net...97&oe=5A1314D1

The hotel's Facebook page also announced it will have an in-lobby Starbucks (presumably a licensed location), which is a little odd given there is a real Starbucks about 100 feet away from the hotel's entrance in the adjoining strip mall.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.