Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Renaissance Atlanta Airport Gateway Hotel ATL [Master Thread]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jul 22, 2017, 7:45 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: SkiAdcock
* Property not great about upgrading; room service is the "Marriott in a box/bag" type; no free water in room/need to get it from exec lounge; exec lounge opens Monday morning, not Sunday night.
Print Wikipost

Search this Thread

Old Apr 18, 2017, 10:11 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend
Original Poster

Programs: UALifetimePremierGold, Marriott LifetimeTitanium

Hotel website:

https://renaissance-hotels.marriott....-gateway-hotel

Cat 6. Opening May 2017.

"The Renaissance Atlanta Airport Gateway Hotel is a two-minute, one stop ride via ATL SkyTrain to Hartsfield-Jackson International Airport, and within walking distance of the Georgia International Convention Center."

Edited to add: just talked to the property. the exec lounge is closed on the weekends, but key accessible. Coupons for full breakfast in restaurant or 750 points.

Last edited by SkiAdcock; May 19, 2017 at 7:22 am
Old May 18, 2017, 8:14 pm

Programs: Marriott Plat, Hyatt Globalist, DL Plat, UA Silver
Gonna go pick up an car nearby, deciding between this hotel and Atlanta Airport Marriott Gateway. Which one has better/safer covered parking?

Both are cat 6, has anyone stayed at both to compare?
Old May 19, 2017, 7:13 am
Original Poster

Hotel officially opened yesterday per Marriott press release:

http://news.marriott.com/2017/05/ren...ional-airport/

Excerpt:

" the hotel is conveniently connected via SkyTrain to the Hartsfield–Jackson Atlanta International Airport. Boasting two expansive outdoor spaces, an amenity-driven fitness center, and a buzzy bar...From the whimsical porch swing to the digital art projections and larger-than-life mural depicting an abstract world map located in the lobby...204 stylish and sophisticated guest rooms, including eight suites...Hickory & Hazel Southern Table and Bar brings the local flavor from New Orleans to Atlanta and is the epitome of southern hospitality...Hickory & Hazel features rustic tables and a dramatic horseshoe shaped bar serving signature cocktails like the Suits your Fancy."

Cheers.
Old May 19, 2017, 7:17 am
Original Poster

Some pics from website:

Lobby

Room:

Suite:

Restaurant:

Old May 20, 2017, 11:51 am

Programs: AS MVPG, Hyatt Globalist
I have a stay booked here towards the end of June. I'll be sure to post a report if no one has an earlier stay in the next few weeks.
Old May 24, 2017, 9:19 am

Programs: DL DM & 5MM, WN
The hotel had its grand opening last Wednesday (May 18th) but had a "soft opening" about two weeks prior. Rates still generally are below $140.

The management is connected with the Atlanta Airport Marriott Gateway across the street. So far, the same friendliness that I have always noticed at the Marriott is evident at the Renaissance, although the lack of staff training at the new property is pretty surprising. The uniformed staff takes their smoking breaks over at the SkyTrain station, right in front of the elevator window for guests coming down from the station platform.

I eat at least weekly at the Marriott and have eaten at the new place now three times. A smaller menu than the Marriott's (which is also small).
Others with me have said the Southern-style chicken dishes are consistently excellent. Less luck with the pork, which has been inconsistent.

The lobby bar looks appealing and I assume they will get their act together on how to mix and serve drinks.

I had a bellman show me a seventh floor room and the impression was, well, underwhelming. It is a product that is below the level of a new Marriott rather than being positioned as an alternative based on lifestyle or whatever.

Building placement and architecture are unimpressive for this signature location on the Atlanta SkyTrain. There is a large-ish grass/patio area that is sparsely finished; I assume this is an expansion area for a future wing of rooms.

Last edited by Justin026; May 24, 2017 at 10:14 pm
Old May 24, 2017, 9:25 am
Original Poster

Thanks for the update. Did the bedroom look like the one in the photo above?

Cheers.
Old May 24, 2017, 10:11 pm

Programs: DL DM & 5MM, WN
The room I saw was very similar, all the photos you chose were fair representations.
Old Jun 7, 2017, 8:39 pm

This hotel is starting to offer some non-refundable rates that are really good. I saw some rates in the ~$125 range recently, which is good for the location.

I'll be staying here later in June, and will post a review if someone else doesn't beat me to it.
Old Jun 11, 2017, 9:54 pm

I'll post more when I have some time, but here are some initial observations:

The good:

-Rooms are very nice, and the beds are comfortable. Standard "new Renaissance" room with the frosted glass in the bathroom, bench to put your luggage on, etc.

-Food I tried was good, although it is the "Marriott in a box/bag" room service.

-TVs are really nice.

-Rooms have a "night light" option, which might be helpful to you.

The bad:

-The website currently says that this hotel allows rollaway beds in both the King and 2 Double rooms. This is not true, and needs to be fixed on the website by Marriott corporate ASAP. There is no room in these rooms to accommodate a rollaway bed, and they should not be advertised as capable of accommodating one.

-Concierge lounge is not open on Sunday evening. It opens on Monday morning. (I knew this in advance, but it is good to know if you were expecting some water or something on Sunday night.)

-No upgrades. Had to ask for a higher floor.

-No attempt to honor any of my reservation preferences. No high floor until I asked, no pillow preference honored, etc. I just gave up asking at this point.

The odd:

-If you are looking for the light switch on the desk lamp, it is on the back of the lamp.

-There is a bottle of water in the mini fridge in the room. It doesn't have a label or hang/price tag on it of any sort, but I confirmed that it is supposed to be there, and it is $5 if you wish to consume it.
SoroSuub1 likes this.
Old Jun 12, 2017, 8:53 am
Original Poster

Thanks for the update. Much appreciated.

Cheers.
Old Jul 21, 2017, 8:22 am

Originally Posted by JW6130
-No upgrades. Had to ask for a higher floor.

-No attempt to honor any of my reservation preferences. No high floor until I asked, no pillow preference honored, etc. I just gave up asking at this point.

-There is a bottle of water in the mini fridge in the room. It doesn't have a label or hang/price tag on it of any sort, but I confirmed that it is supposed to be there, and it is $5 if you wish to consume it.
Yes these are the bad points about this hotel. Just checked in yesterday, no club room upgrade, no suite upg. Booked basic, and received basic.

No "free" water in the room so I had to walk down to the lounge to get it.

Only valet parking is avail, am still trying to figure out if there's self park around here.
Old Aug 17, 2017, 5:37 pm

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, National Executive
Nice property

-Entering this via phone, so sorry for typos and stilted typing.

Gold member here.

Just pulled in and did the self park, which is on the right as soon as you pull into the main drive.

Warmly welcomed by bell staff, front desk and lounge staff.

Was upgraded to the 11th floor (Concierge Level) with a balcony that provides great views of the ATL terminals.

Nice king bed with decent sized room.
Yeah, I'll stay here again.

Last edited by Gamecock; Aug 17, 2017 at 6:00 pm
Old Aug 18, 2017, 1:03 pm

Are you sure you have the right hotel? The top floor at the Renaissance is 7, and the Concierge Lounge is on the ground floor.

Were you potentially at the Marriott or SHS?
Old Aug 18, 2017, 4:49 pm

Originally Posted by JW6130
Are you sure you have the right hotel? The top floor at the Renaissance is 7, and the Concierge Lounge is on the ground floor.

Were you potentially at the Marriott or SHS?
Wrong property for sure. This property doesn't have self park.

I was very hesitant having my new car being valet but I had no choice.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.