Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Ritz Carlton Langkawi Malaysia [Master Thread]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Ritz Carlton Langkawi Malaysia [Master Thread]

Search this Thread

Old Apr 12, 2018, 9:26 am

Programs: Delta Plat, United Silver, Marriott LT Titanium, HHonors Silver, Hertz PC
Beautiful Escape

I returned recently from a short stay in a Rainforest Villa at the Ritz Langkawi. The property is simply beautiful.

I had originally booked at the Andaman and had hoped to use SNA to upgrade however a week before arrival I noticed the hotel was sold out and that no upgrades would be available. After taking a further look I found the Ritz to be available at 40k MR points per night so I booked a base level Rainforest room which was selling for nearly $600 per night. I noticed in the app my booking changed to Rainforest Junior Suite which I understand is the upgrade for MR Platinum members. I then arranged a paid upgrade to Rainforest Villa for a little under $200 per night on top of the points, which I thought was a great deal.

I took a quick Uber ride from the airport and was on site in 10 minutes, however Uber has since stopped operating in many SEA countries and Grab has taken over. After completing formalities in the arrival building, I was taken by buggy to villa 15.

The photos online do a good job of showing the room, it was beautiful at first glance. I was even surprised to have ocean views when not advertised. The main living area had a desk, couch, chair and wall mounted television alongside a glass wall overlooking private pool and ocean in the distance. Off the living room there was a small dining room for 4 with floor to ceiling windows on 2 sides.

The highlight of the bedroom was the fantastic mattress covered in Frette linens. Again, a full wall of glass looked out over the pool deck. The bedroom also had a walk through closet area which included sandals, beach bag, cotton kimono robes & sun hats and plenty of storage space. There was also a Tivoli Music System BT radio on the bedside (remote did not work) and another wall mounted tv.

The Bathroom had full glass in the front and back bringing the jungle into the beautiful marble covered area. A huge soaking tub along with gigantic walk in shower also included 2 sinks and the standard Asprey amenities. There was a sliding door in shower area to exit to the deck where there was an outdoor shower next to the pool. Piled high were tons of luxuriously soft immaculate Frette towels.

The outdoor area was certainly the selling point for me. There was a large multi level deck which included two double daybeds, a small dining table for 2, two sun-loungers as well as the private pool. There was good privacy from the villas on the other side but they were close enough you could tell people where there.

Now for the disappointments. The pocket doors between living room and bedroom were broken, the floor in dining area had nails popping out from a poorly done “fix” and some of the deck railings were coming apart in the joints with some flaking paint already. I stepped on a wood screw in the bottom of the pool and the desk included a card advertising last months special activities. The daybed cushions were also badly stained. The main annoyance though was getting anyone on the phone. It took nearly 15 minutes of trying the night of arrival to get anyone to answer to place room service order. Frequently during my stay the phone would ring unanswered resulting in making multiple calls which got frustrating. All this taken together I think they are just short staffed maybe. I will say that every single person I came in contact with from buggy drivers to restaurant staff was extremely nice, helpful and professional.

As others have noted the f&b prices were not cheap, but they weren't exorbitant either. The 15% discount offered to MR Platinum members helped as did the duty free wine picked up in town at the Billions Supermarket. I enjoyed breakfasts & dinners on my deck and did visit Horizon lounge for sunset one night and all the food was of high quality and good taste.

Overall I really enjoyed my quick visit to Langkawi. I probably wouldn't go to stay there in a regular room, some of which are located quite from far from the beach but if I could arrange for one of the villas with private pool I'd love to return for a relaxing stay should I be in that part of world again.

Last edited by dc2005b; Apr 12, 2018 at 9:33 am Reason: photo resizing
Old Jan 6, 2019, 9:23 am

I stayed here for one night in November using the annual free night from the RC credit card. As a Platinum I got upgraded from the base room to an ocean view villa which is super generous. I was also granted a 6pm late checkout which was greatly appreciated on a short weekend trip. The ocean villa looks like the pictures in the previous post but closer to the ocean. Our villa was a decent walk from the beach especially as it seems you can only enter the beach from one side. The beach and the rest of the property were quite nice. Food was more average. We had drinks and then dinner at Horizon which was good although service was extremely slow. The next day we had breakfast at Langkawi Kitchen which was good although somewhat expensive if it's not included in your rate (135 MYR for us and I think 200 MYR for non members). We also had room service for lunch and drinks at Beach Grill for happy hour both of which were decent but unmemorable.

Earlier last year I had stayed at RC Koh Samui where I was also upgraded to an ocean villa. Comparing the properties I would say the ocean villas are similar, the food is much better at RC Koh Samui, the beach is better at RC Langkawi and the overall property is slightly more impressive at RC Koh Samui but both are very nice. I don't think I could justify paying the 2000+ MYR cash rates here but I would definitely consider returning using free night certificates or possibly points.
Old Jan 7, 2019, 10:25 pm

Programs: AC SE, *Gold, Bonvoy Titanium (Lifetime Platinum), National Emerald Club Executive
Just checked in yesterday for a five night stay. Booked prior to Aug 2018 in a Rainforest Deluxe room for 12,000 spg points per night with the fifth night free so an excellent redemption value. I am currently Platinum Premiere Elite and we were upgraded to an Oceanfront Villa on arrival. The villa is fantastic. The layout is reminiscent of the overwater villas at the St Regis Maldives and includes a private deck with plunge pool overhanging the ocean. The room is very nicely appointed. The corner dining room with floor to ceiling windows is beautiful.

The grounds are a lush tropical rainforest with lots of native birds, eagles, and two varieties of monkies seen often. In the water we’ve seen monitor lizards and sea otters swimming around.

Only been here one day so far but the frozen drinks at Horizon were phenomenal. Breakfast at Langkawi Kitchen was extensive and of excellent quality. Lunch at the Beach Bar was very good.

Had a men’s massage this morning and my partner and I had the spa facilities to ourselves, including the sauna, steam room; and open air hydrotherapy pool.

The service from staff is excellent. The staff to guest ratio is higher than at most other resorts I’ve been to.

The resort is only a year and a half old, so everything still has that new finish. The architecture is a nice Malaysian modern look that fits well into the rainforest setting.

Highly recommended and glad I have another four days in paradise.
Akkku and xar like this.
Old Jan 8, 2019, 6:19 am
Suspended

Programs: Delta Diamond, Marriott Ambassador & Lifetime Titanium, Hertz President's Circle, United Silver
Originally Posted by plankton
Just checked in yesterday for a five night stay. Booked prior to Aug 2018 in a Rainforest Deluxe room for 12,000 spg points per night with the fifth night free so an excellent redemption value. I am currently Platinum Premiere Elite and we were upgraded to an Oceanfront Villa on arrival. The villa is fantastic. The layout is reminiscent of the overwater villas at the St Regis Maldives and includes a private deck with plunge pool overhanging the ocean. The room is very nicely appointed. The corner dining room with floor to ceiling windows is beautiful.

The grounds are a lush tropical rainforest with lots of native birds, eagles, and two varieties of monkies seen often. In the water we’ve seen monitor lizards and sea otters swimming around.

Only been here one day so far but the frozen drinks at Horizon were phenomenal. Breakfast at Langkawi Kitchen was extensive and of excellent quality. Lunch at the Beach Bar was very good.

Had a men’s massage this morning and my partner and I had the spa facilities to ourselves, including the sauna, steam room; and open air hydrotherapy pool.

The service from staff is excellent. The staff to guest ratio is higher than at most other resorts I’ve been to.

The resort is only a year and a half old, so everything still has that new finish. The architecture is a nice Malaysian modern look that fits well into the rainforest setting.

Highly recommended and glad I have another four days in paradise.
What was the weather like? When is the dry season?
Old Jan 8, 2019, 4:44 pm

Programs: AC SE, *Gold, Bonvoy Titanium (Lifetime Platinum), National Emerald Club Executive
Originally Posted by hockeyinsider
What was the weather like? When is the dry season?
Hasn’t rained a drop in three days. Consistently 32-34C and sunny and humid during the days.

I asked a local. The rainy season is July through November.

Last edited by plankton; Jan 9, 2019 at 7:43 pm Reason: Learned more info
Old Mar 13, 2019, 1:56 pm

Programs: Marriott Titanium Elite, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond, BA Silver, A3 Gold, Sixt Diamond
Has anyone been to both the RC and the St. Regis? I’ve stayed at the St. Regis before and loved it, especially the hammocks at the beach restaurant, Kayu Puti. The only downside was the artificial beach and not so nice water (green, not clear etc.).
Old Mar 13, 2019, 9:22 pm
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: SQ *G, BA Gold, Bonvoy Ambassador Elite LFT Titanium , Hyatt Discoverist, ALL Diamond
Originally Posted by ChocolateFactory
Has anyone been to both the RC and the St. Regis? I’ve stayed at the St. Regis before and loved it, especially the hammocks at the beach restaurant, Kayu Puti. The only downside was the artificial beach and not so nice water (green, not clear etc.).
I have stayed 3 times at the St Regis and once at the Ritz Carlton. My first stay at the St Regis was so bad that they comped me a free week end on my following stay.
The beach is terrible and unpleasant to swim in. The service is still patchy despite the fact that it has been opened for a while now.
We tried the RC when it opened and found it to be much better than the St Regis. The service was great from the start, the rooms are great, surrounded by the rainforest, the beach is very nice compare to the StR. There is an adult only pool by the bar and another family pool by the beach. We found the amenities worked perfectly for us. The pool at the St Regis is quite small and since they don't have a proper beach, it can get very busy.
The spa at the St Regis is in a building jutting out to the pool with little natural light, like an after thought. The spa at the RC makes use of the environment and gives you a sea view.
We liked the restaurants in both resorts.
Now that the RC is open, we would not return to the St Regis but this is a matter of preference and ultimately highly personal.

I personally like the Andaman as well, so my choice would be 1. RC 2. Andaman 3. St Regis.
My next stay in Langkawi will be at the RC.
Old Mar 14, 2019, 1:51 am

Programs: Marriott Titanium Elite, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond, BA Silver, A3 Gold, Sixt Diamond
We have 6 nights on Langkawi and we’re trying to decide how to divide our time between the properties.
When we stayed at the St. Regis, the service was great.
Our only service issues were that one night, the A/C wasn’t working in our room. Also they forgot the turndown service once or twice.
The only true issue was that they used a really unsafe company for their jet ski tour. If was a one hour taxi drive and they’d used ancient jet skis which had engine trouble out on the open sea in high waves as a storm was pulling up. One year before I had stayed at the Westin and they were using a company that was nearby, private pickup in a van, brand new jet skis. But hopefully they’ve fixed this problem now.

When we stayed at the St. Regis, there were very few other guests staying with us, the pool was always empty.
Only a couple of Saudi-Arabian families, but they hardly ever left their overwater villas.
Yes, the sea wasn’t pleasant to swim in, but the beach was ok as we were pretty much the only guests.
And we have the most wonderful memories from the beach restaurant, food was great as well.

But from what you’re saying it’s not like this anymore?
Does the RC have something like the beach restaurant at the St. Regis? The atmosphere there is just so romantic.
Judging by the photos, it looks like they just put some generic sofas out there and that’s it. And it doesn’t look very private, it looks like you might be sitting there with a lot of other guests, like in a public beach bar.
Old Mar 14, 2019, 4:39 am

Programs: SQ *G, BA Gold, Bonvoy Ambassador Elite LFT Titanium , Hyatt Discoverist, ALL Diamond

But from what you’re saying it’s not like this anymore?
Does the RC have something like the beach restaurant at the St. Regis? The atmosphere there is just so romantic.
Judging by the photos, it looks like they just put some generic sofas out there and that’s it. And it doesn’t look very private, it looks like you might be sitting there with a lot of other guests, like in a public beach bar.
The RC has a restaurant which is on stilt like Kayu Puti called Hai Yan. We had a lovely dinner there.
It is not opened like Kayu Puti but there are tables outdoor, overlooking the Andaman sea.
What you do not get is the suspended nets over the water which provide a great place for cocktails.

Your experience at both resort is going to be dependent on how busy they are. On my visits the pool has always been very busy at the St Regis and you don't have much of a choice, ie, not many people spend much time on the beach and there is no other pool.

Since you mentioned you are planning to split your stay, why not start at the RC for one night, see if you like it, then go to St Regis and keep the last 3 nights of your stay open for you to book when you have made your final choice. I have found the front desk always happy to volunteer information about forward occupancy, this could help you in making your choice for the remaining days.

One thing worth mentioning is that the RC is rather hilly and there are no lift in the buildings where the suites are located (I believe these are three storey). To get around the resort, you are dependent on buggies or walking. We were happy walking everywhere.
Old Mar 14, 2019, 6:11 am

Exactly, we loved those suspended nets. I opened our bottle of champagne with that sabre and it was just magical.
We also absolutely loved the paintings everywhere by local artists.
But I also feel really intrigued by the RC because it just seems like the better property.

And then we want to spend at least 3 nights at the Andaman (maybe even 4), which leaves only 2-3 for RC/SR.
We could do 2 RC, 3 Andaman, 1 SR, but I’m worried about feeling rushed.
And we also want to go jet skiing one day at least.
What would you do?

Edit: Oh, and would it make sense to book through Amex FHR for better upgrades (I’m a Titanium Elite and plan on using SNAs).
Old Mar 14, 2019, 6:15 am

What would you do?
Like you, I am weary of changing hotel too often. It's a holiday after all. Would restrict myself to 2 hotels.
The RC is on the way to the Andaman, while the St Regis is on the opposite side of the island.
Since this is not your first trip to Langkawi and I assume you will return, why not split your stay between Andaman and St Regis.
On your way to the Andaman, have lunch at the RC and ask to visit the facilities, they will happily show you a room as well if you ask.
Then you can decide for yourself if this is the right vibe and you want to stay there on your next stay to Langkawi.
Old Mar 14, 2019, 6:39 am

Well, I’ve been there twice before (Westin and St. Regis) and there’s not much to do.
There are many other places I’d like to visit, so I’m not sure if we want to go back the LGK for a fourth time soon.
I’m slightly leaning towards the RC since most people seem to like it better.
Is the style very different from the SR? Seemed like the art on the walls was similar?
Old Mar 14, 2019, 6:40 am

We could also go to the SR for evening cocktails since that’s what we loved the most about the property.
Old Mar 14, 2019, 6:43 am

We could also go to the SR for evening cocktails since that’s what we loved the most about the property.
I would go to the RC but that's preference and it is personal. Having visited both properties, my preferred option is the RC.
If I have a choice I am not returning to the St Regis, not that it is a bad property, it is really nice, but I prefer what the RC has to offer.

You might find that the drive from the RC to the St Regis is too long to really appreciate the sunset and evening cocktails.

Last edited by JohnSIN; Mar 14, 2019 at 6:47 am Reason: addressing comments
Old Mar 16, 2019, 9:43 am

Alright, we have decided to do 2 nights at the RC + 4 nights at the Andaman.
It sounds like the RC is very generous with upgrades?
Ideally, we'd like to get a villa (oceanfront would be amazing), but it's high season of course, so quite well booked already.
Would it make sense to book a rainforest suite (of which they seem to have quite a lot available) to increase one's upgrade chances? Or is that irrelevant? It's about 110$ extra for the rainforest suite vs. the rainforest deluxe room...

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.