Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

St. Regis Downtown Dubai (Rebranded from Renaissance)[Master Thread]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

St. Regis Downtown Dubai (Rebranded from Renaissance)[Master Thread]

Search this Thread

Old Oct 1, 2021, 4:57 am

Originally Posted by LovetoTravel83
I'm actually one of those that booked at the Renaissance in October and also attached SNA's to it.

Today, I couldn't locate the reservation and when contacted CS they noticed that the reservation has been cancelled. Keep in mind that I have not received any communication from the hotel whatsoever.

So now I don't have a reservation and my Suite Night Awards were not returned. The agent opened 2 cases, one for the SNA, the other as to why this property didn't contact me regarding the cancelled reservation.
wow I just noticed they canceled mine too! How unprofessional! That’s outrageous…any news channels reading this?
Old Oct 1, 2021, 9:31 am

Programs: Marriott AMB, Skywards Gold
I'm actually one of those that booked at the Renaissance in October and also attached SNA's to it.

Today, I couldn't locate the reservation and when contacted CS they noticed that the reservation has been cancelled. Keep in mind that I have not received any communication from the hotel whatsoever.

So now I don't have a reservation and my Suite Night Awards were not returned. The agent opened 2 cases, one for the SNA, the other as to why this property didn't contact me regarding the cancelled reservation.
So I just noticed that my SNA's were returned. Still no communication regarding why the reservation was canceled with no prior communication.
Old Oct 1, 2021, 9:58 am

So I just noticed that my SNA's were returned. Still no communication regarding why the reservation was canceled with no prior communication.
me too! No communication whatsoever.

I went to the cancelled reservation section of the app and it shows it there with a cancellation number but no notification or communication whatsoever.
Old Oct 2, 2021, 9:45 am

So just to put an end to the story. One of the Managers called me today and made a reservation with the same rate that was booked under that rate.

I mentioned to them regarding the non-communication that was made and the manager was not defensive at all and took the criticism positively.

Hopefully the same happened to you Ramiraw.
Old Oct 2, 2021, 3:38 pm

So just to put an end to the story. One of the Managers called me today and made a reservation with the same rate that was booked under that rate.

I mentioned to them regarding the non-communication that was made and the manager was not defensive at all and took the criticism positively.

Hopefully the same happened to you Ramiraw.
No one contacted me. I will show up the day of my booking and see what’s up then.
Old Oct 3, 2021, 4:58 am

Supposed to check in tomorrow.
after reading this thread, am I making a mistake?
Casha rate wasn't terrible. Prefer to stay here Verses the Palm since I think its a better location for tourism.
Old Oct 3, 2021, 6:02 am

Originally Posted by Kleinnaf
Casha rate wasn't terrible. Prefer to stay here Verses the Palm since I think its a better location for tourism.
Regarding location I think both are fine. You have DIFC restaurants close to downtown, and you have Atlantis, Club Vista Mare and others around the Palm. Also for shopping you also have the same around both. Plus taxi is cheap so you can get around anywhere.

Would love to see your review for tommorow.

@MoDS, can we change the thread to be St. Regis Downtown now?
Old Jan 22, 2022, 11:47 pm

Originally Posted by Kleinnaf
Would love to hear about your experience at the property. I'll be heading to DXB in March and am torn between the St. Regis Downtown or the JW Marriott Marquis.
Old Jan 28, 2022, 7:30 am

Programs: IHG - spire amb, Marriot - tit, Radisson - plat, Hilton - gold, Accor -gold, GHA - plat
Originally Posted by Flyer2k21
Would love to hear about your experience at the property. I'll be heading to DXB in March and am torn between the St. Regis Downtown or the JW Marriott Marquis.
I recommend JW MM for sure. St. Regis felt like someone bought the right to use the St Regis name but runs it as a Westin/Sheraton. Virtually no benefits, tiatnium upgrade to a better view room. Butler never bothered to introduce him/herself. Not sure if they even exist at this property. overall, not worth the money spent.
Old Jan 28, 2022, 9:41 am
Hyatt Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: Qatar Airways, Hyatt, Hilton, Marriott, IHG
Originally Posted by dimon84
St. Regis felt like someone bought the right to use the St Regis name but runs it as a Westin/Sheraton. Virtually no benefits, tiatnium upgrade to a better view room. Butler never bothered to introduce him/herself. Not sure if they even exist at this property. overall, not worth the money spent.
That's exactly what this hotel is: an inferior product masquerading as a St. Regis. This hotel was a beautiful Renaissance, but re-cladding the driveway, swapping out its reception pods for sit-down desks, changing only the artwork above the beds in the rooms and shuttering the club lounge should in NO WAY have been enough to call this property a St. Regis.

I believe Marriott ok'd this rebranding for the money the owner was willing to pay to have a St. Regis in their portfolio, and in Marriott's attempt to pass the brand off off as a lesser product than their legacy Ritz-Carlton brand [even though I personally consider St. Regis to be far more superior from product, design, service and heritage perspectives]. The watering-down of the SPG brands continues.

khabah
Old Jan 29, 2022, 1:57 am

Programs: Bonvoy
Originally Posted by Flyer2k21
I stayed in St. Regis Downtown Dubai about 3 or 4 times already, and also used JW Marriott more than 3 times.
St Regis is very calm, staff are extremely friendly, breakfast is awesome. Yet, no lounge, no upgrades, relatively expensive only because of the brand name.
I'm Titanium, and I never get upgraded more than a deluxe room.

JW Marquis is really great, the lounge is beautiful, views are really good, i've always gotten a sweet upgrade there to a corner panoramic suite with Burj view... It's also less expensive.
The only thing about JW is it's very large, and so crowded, you sometimes get a feeling of a huge mall or an airport, valet takes a while to get your car.

All in all, I prefer staying in JW.
barracuda93 likes this.
Old Jan 29, 2022, 1:16 pm

Nothing more to add.
was there the week they opened.
Had to remind them I'm a titanium using an SNA till they gave me the ST suite.
Overall disappointed with actual property.
Service was on par with rest of hotels in Dubai.
Nothing special.
Old Jan 30, 2022, 4:59 am

Finished a stay there. Booked a corporate rate which only allows a base room and asked in advance for an upsell to a Deluxe city suite which was granted.

Arrived and they had nothing on file. I had to pull the email and then they scurried looking for a room. Got a morning arrival but I don't like when hotels point out they're doing me a favor with an early check in when they completely dropped the ball on a room assignment.

The "suite" is just an over sized room. One giant square of living space.The TV is imbedded inside a "mirror" so you can't even see it from the seating areas of the room, especially if the blinds are drawn because there is a glare.

Other than that, staffing was very courteous. If anything they are ove staffed which can lead to, again, more ball dropping. Like bringing the wrong luggage to my taxi on departure. Or being told something would be brought right up, then 2 hours later nothing, then they say they don't have the item and then they magically find it.

I also thought there was a bonvoy 20% discount on food and beverage. Turns out, not true. I could have used my EK boarding pass instead for that discount and was denied on check out. Probably threw away AED 200. But they pressed 4 items without a charge so I didn't push it.

St. Regis bar was dead both times I went. Pizza from Basta was good quality.

Stay was acceptable. Public spaces are beautiful. 15 minute walk to Dubai Mall.

But as others have said, plenty of options in Dubai.
Old Jan 30, 2022, 11:23 am

Originally Posted by saaveraward
Finished a stay there. Booked a corporate rate which only allows a base room and asked in advance for an upsell to a Deluxe city suite which was granted.

Arrived and they had nothing on file. I had to pull the email and then they scurried looking for a room. Got a morning arrival but I don't like when hotels point out they're doing me a favor with an early check in when they completely dropped the ball on a room assignment.

The "suite" is just an over sized room. One giant square of living space.The TV is imbedded inside a "mirror" so you can't even see it from the seating areas of the room, especially if the blinds are drawn because there is a glare.

Other than that, staffing was very courteous. If anything they are ove staffed which can lead to, again, more ball dropping. Like bringing the wrong luggage to my taxi on departure. Or being told something would be brought right up, then 2 hours later nothing, then they say they don't have the item and then they magically find it.

I also thought there was a bonvoy 20% discount on food and beverage. Turns out, not true. I could have used my EK boarding pass instead for that discount and was denied on check out. Probably threw away AED 200. But they pressed 4 items without a charge so I didn't push it.

St. Regis bar was dead both times I went. Pizza from Basta was good quality.

Stay was acceptable. Public spaces are beautiful. 15 minute walk to Dubai Mall.

But as others have said, plenty of options in Dubai.
Sounds like a stay that might have been mildly annoying at a place like JWM, and just shows they are far from ready to step up to the brand.

I remain somewhat stunned that Marriott corporate let them take on the St Regis brand.
Old Feb 23, 2022, 4:13 pm

I booked a Superior Suite here, and it’s almost 800 square ft. Am I correct to assume that the living room is in a separate room from the bedroom? We have small children that sleep early and it’s important that we can close the bedroom door so we don’t disturb them in the lounge.

There are very few pictures available on their website and it’s not clear. Does anyone know the answer?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.