Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

St. Regis Downtown Dubai (Rebranded from Renaissance)[Master Thread]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 18, 2017, 8:34 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend
Original Poster

Programs: UALifetimePremierGold, Marriott LifetimeTitanium

Hotel website:

http://www.marriott.com/hotels/trave...n-hotel-dubai/

Opening July 2017. Cat 7.

"Embark on a journey of discovery and adventure when you choose to stay at Dubai’s hottest new hotel. Renaissance Downtown Hotel, Dubai is located in the vibrant Downtown area, offering captivating views across the city skyline, situated within walking distance of the Burj Khalifa, the world’s tallest building and located directly on the newly developed Dubai Water Canal. With our exciting restaurants including Morimoto Dubai, Bleu Blanc and Basta! by David Myers, we welcome you to take part in our culinary journey and enliven your taste buds along the way. Distinctive service that is personalized and warm, coupled with our striking guest rooms that are contemporary with a modern Arabic twist, plus a sensational Six Senses Spa. For the modern day traveler, if you need any suggestions on where to go, we’ll have a friendly local navigator on hand to give you the inside info on the best things to see and do in the city."
uggboy likes this.
Old Jul 22, 2017, 9:51 am
Original Poster

Now opening August 2017. Website says exec lounge open daily.
uggboy likes this.
Old Aug 19, 2017, 6:20 pm
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeBanyan Contributor Badge

Programs: We love to Fly, Hotels and Discovery
Update:

Renaissance Downtown Hotel, Dubai

NEW HOTEL OPENING IN OCTOBER 2017

as on their official website. Please see:

http://www.marriott.com/hotels/trave...n-hotel-dubai/

Cheers & Safe Travels. ^
Old Nov 22, 2017, 8:38 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AAConciergeKey/1MM, DL DM/2 MM, UA Gold,Hilton Diamond, IHG Plat, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Titanium
Planning a stay here next month, anyone have details on the exec lounge spread morning and night? What are the hours for evening cocktails, etc? Thanks!
Old Nov 26, 2017, 1:05 pm

Location: Port St Lucie, FL, UA1K since 1994 and 3mm, Delta 1mm
Programs: Marriott Titanium Life, Hilton Gold
I wonder how a hotel in Business Bay -- can be called Downtown (referring to Downtown Dubai) It is NOT in Downtown Dubai.
Old Jan 16, 2018, 1:26 pm

Programs: AA-EXP, Marriott(T)
Originally Posted by SkyTeam777
Planning a stay here next month, anyone have details on the exec lounge spread morning and night? What are the hours for evening cocktails, etc? Thanks!
I'm looking for those details as well. I'll report back once I visit the hotel. Cheers, V
Old Jan 19, 2018, 7:10 am

Lounge details as promised
21st Floor: Very large size, tall ceilings. Lounge is key-card accessible 24 hours/day so you can grab drinks or hang out in off-hours.
2 large ten-foot-tall refrigerators hold beverages includes soft drinks, waters (with and without), yogurts, and sometimes fresh made juices (Watermelon, lemon-mint, mango, orange) They are always unlocked and full.

Large coffee machine is ready to go, with a smaller countertop version as backup. Tea selection was just OK, about 6 different types.

Hours: (According to the sheet provided at check-in)
Breakfast 6:30-9:30am Sunday-Thursday Friday & Saturday 6:30-10:00am
"snacks" 9:30-5:30 pm
Happy Hour 5:30-7:30pm
Evening Bites: 7:30-11:00pm

Description of times
Breakfast: 4 hot items with western and eastern breakfast choices. Omelettes and other egg dishes on request.
Large buffet with breads, fruits, vegetables, cereals, salad, milk, and more yogurt.

Snacks: Somewhat limited in scope. Fruits, candy in a jar, nuts, dates, coffee, tea

Happy Hour: Drinks: Wine (Sauvignon Blanc, Merlot) Beer (Peroni, Corona) Liquor (Tequila, Scotch, Rum, Jameson, Tanqueray, Johnnie Walker Red, Campari, Bailey's, Mixers and fresh fruit for cocktails)
Food: Typically 3 hot items, eg: Dim Sum, Cheese Rolls, Chicken Tikka. Salad, fruit, breads, spreads, veggies galore, charcuterie, cheeses, chips, and the staff made you feel like they would get you something if it was missing. Very Vegan and gluten free friendly.

Evening Bites: Sweets including good cookies.

Staff:
Extremely well staffed. One staff member at door who acts as concierge, plus at least two food staff during official meal times. Friendly, multi-lingual, eager to engage the guests, make sure tables are cleared, etc.

Business:
Two terminals as a business center and a full meeting room with seminar table.

Seating, etc:
Tons of seats. Lots of two-top tables, four lounge chairs with low-top tables, a couple of couches and coffee tables. Kid friendly, they have some board games and enough space to spread out. Male and Female restrooms in the lounge area.
Old Jan 19, 2018, 10:56 am
Original Poster

Thanks for the trip report. Much appreciated.

Cheers.
Old Jan 20, 2018, 5:45 am

Programs: BD, DL, UA, AA, Marriott, SPG
I stayed here for a week over Christmas using a 1 week travel package certificate. I am Marriott Gold. My friend who is Marriott Plat was also using a cert for the same dates.

Check in - We were offered water while checking in. Staff was extremely friendly. Lobby was not crowded.

The standard room is a Deluxe Room with water view. They charge a premium for a room with the Burj Khalifa view.

I was given a standard Deluxe Room with water view on the 18th floor. The upgrade as per them was the higher floor. When I asked about a room with a view of the Burj they called a manager to the front desk. He dissuaded me and said the Burj view rooms are not nice because of construction but if I insisted he would move my room to one.

The interesting part is that my friend who was checking in at the next desk was told that they have upgraded him to a Burj view room. My friend asked if an upgrade to a Suite was possible since the hotel seemed to be quiet and plenty of suites were available for sale. The same manager said they've given him an upgrade to a Burj view room and they do not give more than a 1 category upgrade on points. I almost wanted to ask the manager why he told me the water view room is better and told my friend the exact opposite.

My fried choose 2 beers and berries as his platinum amenity.

Room -

The view from both of our rooms was good. My friend could see the fountains from his room. This is the night and day view from my room.

They had a lovely Lego chocolate waiting for us in the room.

My room was about 700 sq. feet. It's bigger than a lot of junior suites I've been upgraded to at other hotels! Pictures on the website are exactly what the rooms look like. I couldn't get any photos of the room since as soon as we entered my LO was jumping all over the place, sorry!

Bed was extremely comfortable. Room had sectional sofa that could seat 3 - 4 people. Desk under the tv with a chair. Lots of storage areas. Decent amount of plug points. They did have USB charging points as well but I guess with more and more phones moving away from USB this is something they'll probably have to revisit.

Bathroom was big too. Separate bathing area and tub. Two sinks.

I really liked this light they had in the corner of the room.

They had turn down service every night and left some delicious Patchi chocolate as part of the turn down. Plenty of bottled water in the room.

Lounge - voweffekthas already given a very good review of the lounge. The lounge attendants were the most helpful I've ever encountered. While all the hotel staff was excellent I would rate the lounge attendants a notch above the rest. My LO loved eating the cookies, candies, gummies, etc. from the lounge.

Breakfast - I was initially told by e-mail I could choose to have breakfast in the restaurant if I wished. At check in I was told that wasn't an option. My friend who is platinum checked with them again the next morning and they said we could have it in Bhar which was their restaurant on the 3rd floor with an indoor and outdoor area. The outdoor area has similar view as the view from my room. They had a very extensive buffet but it did get a little boring after a few days. When I mentioned this to the chef they were willing to make us something that wasn't on the buffet as well.

Restaurants - I had dinner at Bhar. Bhar serves local cuisine. They also give you the room service menu and you can order of that. Food and service were both very good. Prices were surprisingly reasonable.

My friends ate at Basta a few times and liked it.

They will have an Asian restaurant by Morimoto but it's not open yet. If the bi bim bap at breakfast was any indication, I'm sure the food will be delicious.

Location -

Absolutely nothing nearby the hotel. Lots and lots of construction so it's not advisable to walk. Dubai mall is only 1 - 1.5 kms away but I don't think you can walk it. The back side of the hotel has a lovely walking promenade on the water front.

They do have a shuttle to Dubai mall but we never landed up taking it. It was AED 15 - 20 to reach Dubai mall by Taxi.

Due to the construction a lot of roads are closed. To go anywhere by taxi it seems like we took a good 10 minutes just circling the area before we could get on the high way. The location of the JW Marquis is much better since it's extremely close to the highway and it's also much closer to the metro station.

Overall a very good hotel. The check in experience was the only negative of my stay. Hotel is new and was probably not even at 50% occupancy while we were there. Restaurants, lounge, lobby, etc. were pretty much empty most of the times. The JW Marquis seemed to be extremely crowded but also lively whenever we passed by it.

I'll probably stay at the JW Marquis the next time I go to Dubai just to experience it and also because of the location.
Old Jan 20, 2018, 7:13 am

Originally Posted by SkiAdcock
Thanks for the trip report. Much appreciated.

Cheers.
Sure thing! I forgot to add that they served Stoli Gold in the lounge during happy hour.The lounge staff are the real stars of the hotel. V
Old Jan 21, 2018, 1:04 am

Burj (and construction) view from room

Beverage fridges after hours

Half of the seating area..

"Happy hour" spread
Old Jan 21, 2018, 5:12 pm
Suspended

Programs: Delta Diamond, Marriott Ambassador & Lifetime Titanium, Hertz President's Circle, United Silver
Originally Posted by piyush
he same manager said they've given him an upgrade to a Burj view room and they do not give more than a 1 category upgrade on points.
I would file a complaint with Marriott. This is against the rules and the hotel manager should be corrected by corporate. If you don't do it, they will continue lying and cheating customers.

I paid for a sea view room at the J.W. Marriott Marquis, but there was no sea view and not because of obstruction from construction. I ended up getting a certificate for wine and dinner at the steakhouse atop the hotel.
Old Jan 23, 2018, 1:30 am

Location: Port St Lucie, FL, UA1K since 1994 and 3mm, Delta 1mm
Programs: Marriott Titanium Life, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by hockeyinsider
I would file a complaint with Marriott. This is against the rules and the hotel manager should be corrected by corporate. If you don't do it, they will continue lying and cheating customers.

I paid for a sea view room at the J.W. Marriott Marquis, but there was no sea view and not because of obstruction from construction. I ended up getting a certificate for wine and dinner at the steakhouse atop the hotel.
Lucky you get any upgrade on points. Upgrades under MR are at the discretion of the property.

Still with those pictures -- how can the call this hotel Downtown Dubai. Downtown Dubai means near the Mall.
Old Jan 23, 2018, 2:39 am

Programs: BD, DL, UA, AA, Marriott, SPG
Originally Posted by hockeyinsider

Honestly. Rest of the stay was good so he didn't bother. What I didn't like was that the same manager was telling me one thing and my friend the exact opposite 2 minutes later. Other than that everything was good.
Old Dec 4, 2018, 11:47 am

How does this compare to the Grosvenor House in terms of location and hard and soft product, in particular the lounge offering? Thinking of a 2 night sty (one night points + one night cash) later this month. Price is the same for both properties.

Thanks

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.