Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Medellin Marriott Colombia [Master Thread]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Medellin Marriott Colombia [Master Thread]

Search this Thread

Old Jul 19, 2018, 8:11 am

Originally Posted by ChocolateFactory
Thanks! Did you stay there on points? Did you have to pay any taxes? I think I read somewhere that hotels in Colombia charge full taxes for awards, unless you book a package rate, or something like that?
I've also emailed the hotel, but haven't heard back yet.
Depending on whether they charge taxes on awards, a corporate rate might be a better deal than sacrificing points...
I just completed a 7 night stay there using a travel package certificate. I was not charged taxes. They checked the Colombia entry stamp in my passport and had me sign a document exempting me from taxes.
Old Jul 19, 2018, 9:27 am

Programs: Marriott Titanium Elite, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond, BA Silver, A3 Gold, Sixt Diamond
Thanks! How was your stay?
Old Jul 19, 2018, 12:54 pm

Originally Posted by ChocolateFactory
Thanks! How was your stay?
Stay was good. I think I had a standard room. Matches the pictures shown above. I had a corner room so it was usually very quiet, but oddly it had only 1 window. I did hear the tv or conversations in the next room a couple times, and 2 nights had a stomper upstairs. But overnight it was very quiet.
Food in lounge was mostly very good during evening happy hours. The selections changed nightly and there was a variety of choices. They do run out of items sometimes and don't seem to replenish quickly. A couple of times when I arrived about 7PM, the food bar looked like it had been pretty well picked over. A couple of other times, there was lots of food and it looked great at the same time.
I had breakfast in the lounge most of the time, but a couple times in the restaurant. Selection was better downstairs, but the lounge has an espresso machine, which I prefer over the poor coffee in the restaurant.
Staff was great. In fact, every Colombian person I met during 4 weeks of traveling around the country was fantastic. Definitely one of the friendliest, kindest nations I've been to.
The neighborhood is excellent. Lots of restaurants, and there are 2 large shopping centers within a 10 minute walk. Area feels upscale and is a mix of office buildings, residential, and shopping/restaurants. Parque Lleras is about 10 minutes walk. Lots of bars and clubs there, although not really my thing.
If you go, enjoy your trip.
Old Jul 19, 2018, 12:58 pm

Programs: Marriott Titanium Elite, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond, BA Silver, A3 Gold, Sixt Diamond
Awesome, thank you!
Old Nov 26, 2018, 9:05 pm

Programs: AA EXP 1MM, Starwood Gold, Hyatt Diamond
Any recent reports? Platinum recognition?
Old Sep 18, 2019, 12:38 pm

Programs: AA-EXP; UA-Silver; Bonvoy-Titanium
Hi fellow flyertalkers,

Just did a 3-night stay at the Marriott Medellin on 9/12/2019, and here are some data points to add:
  • Upgraded to Executive Club elite floor as a Platinum.
  • As I booked a rate with free breakfast, the Platinum gift was a choice of a 1 food and 1 drink offering (select from 3 options each), or 1,000 points. I chose the former, choosing the fruit and cheese platter option for the food, and half-bottle of red wine for the drink. It was delivered by room service about 30 minutes later at no charge (so I gave a nice tip) and ended up being a very nice spread. It was perfect for my evening arrival.
  • Executive Club is opened on weekdays and weekend all day until midnight with limited snacks and drinks. Of interest, an excellent food and drink service (2-drink limit per day) takes place from 5:30pm - 7:30pm.
  • I took my free breakfast (part of my booking rate) at the Market restaurant instead of at the lounge and it was excellent.
  • Overall stay and checkin/out process was excellent.
Enjoy Medellin!
Old Nov 17, 2020, 3:45 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AAConciergeKey/1MM, DL DM/2 MM, UA Gold,Hilton Diamond, IHG Plat, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Titanium
Has anyone stayed here during Covid? Was wondering if the club lounge was open and serving breakfast/evening wine?
Old Mar 13, 2021, 12:33 am

Programs: United 1K, Marriott Platinum, SPG Platinum
2022 trip

Hey there!

Looking to do a family vacation to Colombia + Aruba in Feb 2022. Any recent reports from the Marriott? Also, does anyone happen to have the email address of the manager? I'm curious to explore paid upgrades on an award stay. Thanks!!
Old Mar 16, 2021, 7:56 am
Company Representative, Marriott Bonvoy

Programs: Marriott Bonvoy
Originally Posted by hungarianhc
Hey there!

Looking to do a family vacation to Colombia + Aruba in Feb 2022. Any recent reports from the Marriott? Also, does anyone happen to have the email address of the manager? I'm curious to explore paid upgrades on an award stay. Thanks!!

Hi hungarianhc,

You can reach the Medellin Marriott Hotel by email at [email protected]

Thanks,

Robert V.
Social Media Liaison
tropikey likes this.
Old Nov 11, 2021, 1:15 pm

Programs: SPG Lifetime Plat, AA Lifetime Plat, AV Diamond
Stayed here first week of Nov for two nights - on the plus side - fairly well kept, clean, and prompt service... plat recognition without prompting - I chose the points... charged the taxi return to the airport to my room for return trip back (90 mil pesos) which I think is a fair price given it's 70mil cash elsewhere... negatives - as a Vegan breakfast options are limited and points still haven't posted

Within a 1km walk (or a quick hop on/off the bus) there are quite a few eating options - enjoyed Cuon, Kaime and Cafe Zorba!!! Can also recommend "La Otra Estacion" for those looking for an afternoon nip in what I'd consider a typical Antioquian ranch house in the middle of Poblado. Weather for me was cold but I'm coming from the tropical region of Colombia - dunno how people were swimming in the pool but it's open for those braver than I.
vivrant likes this.
Old Jun 16, 2023, 7:18 pm

Programs: SPG Lifetime Plat, AA Lifetime Plat, AV Diamond
Random exchange rates

Stayed one night this past week and guess what... The USD quoted rates paid in local currencies didn't match... Was 8% difference and not in one's favor... The grift never ends...
Old Feb 8, 2024, 2:18 pm

Programs: Hyatt Diamond, IHG Platinum, Hilton Gold, Club Carlson Gold, Starwood Gold
Exchange rate shenanigans. Booked a rate at 200 USD and they charged 222 USD. That's 11% markup. Complained vociferously on the spot but they held firm. WIll file a chargeback and see what happens. Marriott corporate is really letting all its affiliates act like fleabags of late.
Old Feb 8, 2024, 11:37 pm

Programs: MB Ambassador, WOH Globalist, HH Diamond (Aspire), AA Gold, UA (*G) Gold
Originally Posted by stvr
Exchange rate shenanigans. Booked a rate at 200 USD and they charged 222 USD. That's 11% markup. Complained vociferously on the spot but they held firm. WIll file a chargeback and see what happens. Marriott corporate is really letting all its affiliates act like fleabags of late.
This is exactly why I won’t travel to Latin America again - it’s not just a Marriott problem, but it’s a Marriott problem nevertheless. No reason to go to Mexico and Colombia just to be scammed by hotels.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.