Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Las Alcobas, St Helena (Napa Valley), CA [Left Marriott]

Las Alcobas, St Helena (Napa Valley), CA [Left Marriott]

Old May 1, 2019, 11:01 am

Programs: UA MM, AA 2MM, Bonvoy LTP, HH Dia
I didn't know there was a website to check on current resort properties, but this property has always told me that it's a resort and therefore exempt from 4pm checkout. As a result, the times I've wanted a 4pm checkout, I've just FHR rates. We really like this property, but the service is not in line with other valley hotels in this price range.
Old May 4, 2019, 11:44 pm
Community Director Emerita

I should have gone back to this thread and read it from the beginning. It would have set my expectations better. We arrived at night. The only sign we saw was for valet parking in front of the central structure. We stopped but there was no valet. It turned out we were in front of the restaurant. It took some effort to figure out where to check in. There is a small side room. Once there, we found 4 employees and a very disjointed check in process. When I commented on it, I was chided for not driving all the way to the end of the driveway. There we would have been met by the valet who would have taken our name. Someone would have then come and taken us to our room for check in. It would have been nice if we had been made to feel welcome regardless.

We received no upgrade. The hotel was fully booked both nights we were in house. We are celebrating a milestone birthday for my husband. No comment was made about that though there was a cookie in the room with a Happy Birthday chocolate on it. We were given a ground floor room that we entered from the outside facing the driveway like an old school motel. We weren't given any information about the room or our benefits as a titanium. Early reports said that the minibar contents were free. That's not true now. Only the water is free. Breakfast is continental.

The room itself is very spacious.

Advice is given upthread about avoiding the room level we have and using points for an upgraded room. I tried to do so several months back and was unable to do so. I don't believe it is possible in a Bonvoy world.
bhrubin likes this.
Old May 5, 2019, 12:15 am
Suspended
Marriott 25+ BadgeAman Contributor Badge

Programs: Marriott Ambassador and LTT, UA Plat/LT Gold, AA Gold
@SanDiego1K OMG we are here in Napa Valley, too, and dined at Acacia House last night. And had the same debacle with valet as you. Terrible signage at arrival and no valet anywhere that we could find for a good 10 min—and so my husband parked our car near the entry to Acacia House...only to have the valet run over after I’d asked a manager inside where valet was! But we had no valet anywhere for 5 minutes when we wanted to depart, as well. It’s a cluster.

So you didn’t experience much different than we had!

Our dinner at Acacia House was a mixed experience. Great food. Wildly uneven service. Our server literally disappeared for 30 min...after which we had to complain before getting a new server filling in...until the original server seems to join back in. Food was great for me. Not so great for my husband. But service wasn’t so great.

OTOH, we’re spending much more to stay at Calistoga Ranch—and the food and beverage here (at breakfast anyway) has been disastrous. And the dinner the previous night at Solbar at Solage was a complete fiasco.

Last edited by bhrubin; May 5, 2019 at 12:22 am
Old May 5, 2019, 4:32 am
SPG 5+ Badge

Programs: Marriott Ambassador, Lifetime Titanium, Delta Plat, Hilton Diamond , Hyatt Globalist
Both of your reports are giving me pause- I’ve been thinking of spending my birthday here next year. I will read the entire thread. Good suggestion.
Old May 6, 2019, 8:39 am
Community Director Emerita

With the poor check in behind us, we had a positive experience going forward.

Breakfast at Acacia Restaurant was excellent. The continental breakfast costs $39. We were allowed that as a credit on anything on their menu. The 3 course weekend brunch was $29 plus beverages. There were a number of very interesting choices on the menu and we enjoyed a superb meal. Service was excellent from every member of the staff.

We ended up liking our ground level room. It was a quick walk straight out across the driveway to the valet or to the restaurant. Each room has a balcony with a firepit and comfortable seating. The balcony side of our room was substantially higher than the ground outside so was very private. There was a stream running below so we had the pleasant sound of water when outside. Yes, we saw the road that runs by the hotel but our view was mostly trees and greenery. It was a pleasure to sit on the balcony with the firepit going. TIP: there is a throw in the cabinet adjacent to the refrigerator.

The room has fancy electronic lighting controls that are challenging to figure out. We inadvertently left the DND light on when we went out for the day and returned to a room needing housekeeping. That's on us, but the light inside the room was literally the size of a pinprick and not visible with any lighting on in the corridor.
dgreen12, damon88 and bhrubin like this.
Old May 8, 2019, 1:18 pm

We just stayed there last month, so I'll chime in with my experience as well. It was mixed, and I can't say we plan on going back.

1. Arrival also confusing, took a few minutes to figure out where to park and check-in.
2. We were upgraded from a ground floor vineyard view to one on the 3rd floor. Beautiful room with great view. That was the highlight of the entire stay. Everything else went downhill from there.
3. We were there for 3 full days, and 2 of the days our room did not get serviced despite the "make up room" light being on. (I tripled checked after they didn't show up on the first day.)
When we asked for housekeeping and fresh towels, we were told to grab drinks at the restaurant bar while they find a housekeeping staff. On one of the nights, the front desk staff apologized and said "have a round of drinks on us." However, we were still presented with the bill and drinks were NOT comped. We complained twice to staff, as the issue did not seem to resolve itself. Only on check-out we were able to talk to a manager, and she only agreed to comping a small lunch we had, saying she did not know anything about comping drinks.

TLDR: great hard product, but service leaves a lot to be desired. We plan on trying one of the other properties in the area next time, maybe Auberge.

Last edited by jbeans; May 8, 2019 at 1:29 pm
Old May 8, 2019, 1:28 pm
Suspended
Aman Contributor BadgeMarriott 25+ Badge

Originally Posted by jbeans
TLDR: great hard product, but service leaves a lot to be desired. We plan on trying one of the other properties in the area next time, maybe Auberge.
Auberge du Soleil I can recommend. Also, Bardessono in Yountville, especially if you like being able to walk to so many amazing restaurants nearby.

Calistoga Ranch and Solage are places where I strongly urge caution—especially for those price points. We had similar service issues at Las Alcobas’ Acacia House restaurant as we did at both Auberge properties with restaurant service failures of a shockingly epic scale (at Solbar at Solage for dinner, and at the Lakehouse at Calistoga Ranch for breakfast...twice.) We had nothing of the sort with a wonderful lunch at Auberge du Soleil.
dgreen12 and jbeans like this.
Old May 8, 2019, 9:07 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by bhrubin

Auberge du Soleil I can recommend. Also, Bardessono in Yountville, especially if you like being able to walk to so many amazing restaurants nearby.

Calistoga Ranch and Solage are places where I strongly urge caution—especially for those price points. We had similar service issues at Las Alcobas’ Acacia House restaurant as we did at both Auberge properties with restaurant service failures of a shockingly epic scale (at Solbar at Solage for dinner, and at the Lakehouse at Calistoga Ranch for breakfast...twice.) We had nothing of the sort with a wonderful lunch at Auberge du Soleil.
Please tell us the shockingly epic stories.
Old May 9, 2019, 11:49 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
Please tell us the shockingly epic stories.
Dinner at Solbar at Solage on Thurs night. Served terrible Sazerac from bar, followed up with weak Manhattan. It was 50 min before our order was even taken. Sommelier didn't come over for almost 30 min. Sommelier didn't recognize our Napa Valley wine (Kongsgaard Chardonnay The Judge), gave unimpressive accounting on what dishes might best pair with wine, further delaying ordering. Most unimpressive sommelier interaction we'd ever had. Server was very quirky. Server was literally running or walking super fast between tables and kitchen and bar as if everything was behind/late (explaining why it took 50 min for her to take our order). She always seem exasperated whenever she (rarely) stopped by our table. Very disconcerting for a fine dining experience. Took another 45 min to actually get our appetizers, another 30 min to get our entrees. Lots of bread first, but had to stop busboys to ask for more water and more bread. Service was so tedious and bad, we skipped dessert despite the options looking good and the food being pretty good. It was too late and we had no confidence that we wouldn't be there another hour!

Calistoga Ranch--room rate of $1063 per night for 3 nights. Lakehouse breakfast (not included in rate). First morning, asked for sweetener for mocha, waited 10 min, had to ask again, mocha got cold before consumed. Served lukewarm waffle, waffle not too good. Service was slow again. Let it go--didn't say anything. Staff later that day happened to ask so we shared the disappointment about breakfast service/quality. Second morning, message was received and got mocha with sweetener...then got served cold eggs Benedict (and our friend got cold eggs, as well). I complained and sent mine back. Chef came out 10 min later with my new eggs Benedict and to apologize...but the new eggs were totally raw. I was disgusted and left. Three strikes and you're out. I never ate at the Lakehouse again during my stay. My friends told me their dishes were lukewarm or cold, too, but no one else complained.
Old May 9, 2019, 7:42 pm
Suspended

Dinner at Acacia House and a quick tour around Las Alcobas

Las Alcobas, a Luxury Collection Hotel, Napa Valley

1915 Main St St. Helena, CA US 94574

Dinner at Acacia House and a quick tour around Las Alcobas (19 Photos)

Las Alcobas, a Luxury Collection Hotel, Napa Valley

Some friends joined me and my husband for dinner at Acacia House at the Las Alcobas Napa Valley property this past weekend. While there, I took a quick spin around the property.

Acacia House is actually very beautiful.

From the front entry into the property:

20190503_195018.jpg

From the side:

20190503_194643.jpg

The hotel buildings:

20190503_194707.jpg

20190503_194702.jpg

20190503_194721.jpg

20190503_194917.jpg

20190503_194746.jpg

20190503_194812.jpg

20190503_194838.jpg

20190503_194822.jpg

It's a striking property, even if I couldn't get a peek inside any rooms.

Dining

Dinner at Acacia House was...good. But with some very odd service moments.

The bar and lounge area was lovely and had very nice service.

20190503_220308.jpg

We hoped for a dinner seating on the terrace, but it wasn't to be. But I highly recommend it:

20190503_194956.jpg

20190503_220748.jpg

Our food was delicious. 

20190503_205058.jpg

20190503_205044.jpg

20190503_205326.jpg

20190503_205117.jpg

20190503_212450.jpg

The schnitzel was to die for...

20190503_212436.jpg

Service

Service at dinner at Acacia was...strange. Our server began with us and seemed great, then he suddenly disappeared between courses. After 20 min, we finally asked what was going on. We never got an answer, but suddenly another server worked our table and seemed competent and friendly. Then after a short delay again of 5-10 min, both servers seemed to work our table. Strange. 

Dinner at Acacia House and a quick tour around Las Alcobas

Would you like to write a review on the Las Alcobas, a Luxury Collection Hotel, Napa Valley?

No, thank you.
Yes
Old Jun 9, 2019, 12:10 pm

Programs: UA 1K 1MM, Marriott PP
So I booked a pts reservation in Feb for the fall and don't remember seeing a resort fee. (The good news is I got the room for 60k points vs 85k per night now). My conformation email says "all taxes and fees included" and now when I go into the reservation it says $150 resort fee plus about $27 in taxes and fees.

Is there a $50/night resort fee here now? Anyone know what that gets you?

Last edited by trekwars2000; Jun 9, 2019 at 12:29 pm
Old Jun 9, 2019, 1:49 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by trekwars2000
My conformation email says "all taxes and fees included" and now when I go into the reservation it says $150 resort fee plus about $27 in taxes and fees.
If there was no fee when you booked, it should be waived for you.

They provide no information anywhere about the $50 resort fee. Very poor form.
Old Jun 10, 2019, 9:58 am

This must be new. I was there last weekend and no resort fee...in fact no taxes or fees whatsoever.

Fifth stay here. Booked the estate view base room and that is what i got as the hotel was sold out for the auction weekend. Continue to be impressed by the hard product. noise from the highway was not bothersome. although i continue to think the vineyard view room is a meaningful upgrade that depending on circumstances could warrant use of a SNA despite not being a suite. Just doesn't get much better than sitting on your patio and looking out at the vines.

Service was blah, but we didn't really need anything.

Giving platinum and titanium members a credit in the amount of the (very pricey) continental breakfast is a big improvement over just getting the continental breakfast in the past. The way they price it, you can put together a nice breakfast from anything on the menu and come in under the credit amount.

I believe they downgraded the toiletries. And as others have mentioned the non alcoholic minibar is no longer complimentary, just the water and i believe the coffee. They also got rid of Fiji water and now have las alcobas branded water.

Location continues to be the best feature here. Walkable to downtown St Helena, easy access to the core grouping of wineries. If you are planning on eating primarily in yountville then it's a bit of a schlep (15 minutes plus traffic).

I continue to be shocked this property can command the prices it does relative to the other high-end properties like bardessono. But demand clearly outstrips supply for this price point.

I will have a tough time stomaching the 105k points for peak pricing (which i'm sure will be every weekend from march through october). The experience, at least for someone who lives in the bay area and is in wine country relatively often, is just not even close to other tippy top properties like StR Punta Mita.
Old Jun 10, 2019, 2:25 pm
SPG 5+ Badge

Programs: Marriott Ambassador, Lifetime Titanium, Delta Plat, Hilton Diamond , Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by boolean64

Giving platinum and titanium members a credit in the amount of the (very pricey) continental breakfast is a big improvement over just getting the continental breakfast in the past. The way they price it, you can put together a nice breakfast from anything on the menu and come in under the credit amount.

Do you know if they allow you to apply the credit to room service breakfast?
Old Jun 10, 2019, 2:27 pm

They just started charging a $50 resort fee.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.