Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Las Alcobas, St Helena (Napa Valley), CA [Left Marriott]

Las Alcobas, St Helena (Napa Valley), CA [Left Marriott]

Old Sep 6, 2018, 8:06 pm

Sure. No Problem.

Couple of thoughts.
  • Rooms: Very high quality, modern build with solid architectural detail (if you like California modern) with nice touches like fire pits on balconies (propane with a timer switch -- think most if not all have this?) and Napa Co soap bars in bathroom; TVs are large and modern and allow you to sign in directly to your streaming subscriptions like Netflix. No problems at all with Aircon (Does shutoff when doors are open to deck but not a big deal)
  • Food: The restaurant was very good, new California fare. Note that platinum breakfast is underwhelming, think it was just yogurt parfait
  • Service: They mentioned they were training up a new staff and it showed as there were a couple snafus on orders etc but management was all over it and apologetic. That stuff happens; the proof is in the recovery which they did very well. Overall very kind staff.
  • Location: Between Beringer vineyards (you get tasting discount as guest) and town of St. Helena. Both walkable (literally adjacent to Beringer and 5-10 minute walk to edge of St. Helena).
  • Pool: Very nice, not crowded at all even though hotel fully booked for weekend; kept at 82 degrees so warm even in cold Napa spell

Couple other things worth noting: they are shooting for a sedate, mature Napa getaway vibe. As a result, no kids allowed (Did see one couple rogue show up with kids and hotel was kind enough not to turn them away but told them, in an apologetic way, that the children could not use the pool; felt like hotel handled it well). Also, they said as we checked in that if any guests were being disruptive (i.e. loud bachelor parties etc) to tell them since that was not in keeping with the vibe of the resort. To that end, a group of guys did appear and could be heard drinking loudly on their balcony at 11 AM ("Shotgun that beer!"). As soon as they came out to the pool, two managers came up to the group and talked to them and the large group dispersed; never heard a peep thereafter.

In terms of room choice, I would book into something with a vineyard view and hope to get upgraded from there. The base rooms overlook the beringer lawns; there is a glimpse of the parking lot from that angle, not offenses, but not as relaxing as the vineyard view that also captures sunset. As for rooms, the pre-upgraded us to a junior suite in the 3rd floor. Very nice room. Effectively the corner room with one terrace facing the vineyard and the other overlooking the pool; a mirror that room is on the other side of the pool. The 2nd floor room in same position had a bigger deck but I think that was the superior or some other suite. A bit more room for lounging on the deck but honestly, the Jr. suite's decks were plenty big including a dining table. If you want afternoon sun in that room, ask for one to left of pool when facing the vineyard and for morning light on the deck, chose the one to the right of the pool.
bhrubin likes this.
Old Mar 3, 2019, 11:08 pm

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP (3MM), DL PM, BONVOY TITANIUM, HYATT GLOBALIST, HILTON DIAMOND, IHG DIAMOND AMB, et al
Does anyone know if this property participates in Suite Night Award upgrades?

-FlyerBeek
Old Mar 3, 2019, 11:24 pm

Originally Posted by FlyerBeek
Does anyone know if this property participates in Suite Night Award upgrades?

-FlyerBeek
I've been checking on an upcoming reservation and SNAs have been available for request, either into vineyard view rooms or into junior suites. The vineyard view rooms are the same rooms but facing the vines instead of the parking lot of the winery next door. Significant improvement in view but zero difference in the room itself. No clue as to whether they actually clear or not.
Old Mar 4, 2019, 6:55 am

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP (3MM), DL PM, BONVOY TITANIUM, HYATT GLOBALIST, HILTON DIAMOND, IHG DIAMOND AMB, et al
Originally Posted by boolean64
I've been checking on an upcoming reservation and SNAs have been available for request, either into vineyard view rooms or into junior suites. The vineyard view rooms are the same rooms but facing the vines instead of the parking lot of the winery next door. Significant improvement in view but zero difference in the room itself. No clue as to whether they actually clear or not.
Thanks, boolean64. Oddly, I'm not offered the option to request an SNA when using the website but the app is letting me standby for either a vineyard view room or junior suite, just like you described.

-FlyerBeek
Old Mar 18, 2019, 8:16 am

Originally Posted by boolean64
Hi Boolean64 I just wanted to check and see if your SNA cleared. I'm planning on staying here for a week with my wife in early November and we used points to book into a base, garden view room (only option available). I applied 5 SNAs to the reservation and selected both a king, vineyard view room and junior suite. Hoping we get upgraded to the junior suite!

Any insight on the SNA and the stay in general would be greatly appreciated. I'm a Platinum Member (might be Titanium by the time we stay in November, we'll see).
Old Mar 18, 2019, 9:40 am
Suspended
Marriott 25+ BadgeAman Contributor Badge

Programs: Marriott Ambassador and LTT, UA Plat/LT Gold, AA Gold
Originally Posted by marcdc
Hi Boolean64 I just wanted to check and see if your SNA cleared. I'm planning on staying here for a week with my wife in early November and we used points to book into a base, garden view room (only option available). I applied 5 SNAs to the reservation and selected both a king, vineyard view room and junior suite. Hoping we get upgraded to the junior suite!

Any insight on the SNA and the stay in general would be greatly appreciated. I'm a Platinum Member (might be Titanium by the time we stay in November, we'll see).
If you don't want to waste your SNAs, you might de-select the Vineyard View Room and ONLY select the junior suite. The Vineyard View room is exactly the same as the entry Garden View room, after all but only with a different view--not what most of us would consider a great use for SNAs. Also, be aware that a longer stay typically means less chance for any upgrade since it's less likely the upgraded room type will be available for the duration! (If you're likely to get the Vineyard View upgrade by SNA, I'd say you're almost as likely to get the Vineyard View upgrade even on arrival as a Plat comp upgrade benefit.)
Old Mar 18, 2019, 10:34 am

Originally Posted by bhrubin
If you don't want to waste your SNAs, you might de-select the Vineyard View Room and ONLY select the junior suite. The Vineyard View room is exactly the same as the entry Garden View room, after all but only with a different view--not what most of us would consider a great use for SNAs. Also, be aware that a longer stay typically means less chance for any upgrade since it's less likely the upgraded room type will be available for the duration! (If you're likely to get the Vineyard View upgrade by SNA, I'd say you're almost as likely to get the Vineyard View upgrade even on arrival as a Plat comp upgrade benefit.)
This is great advice, thank you bhrubin!

From what I read on this place (and in this thread too), it seems like the base, garden view room leaves a lot to be desired (view wise). I only have one personal upcoming trip with the wife this year (two kids under 2 makes it tough), so figured I might as well use the SNAs for some sort of "guaranteed" room upgrade rather than nothing at all.

I'd love to have a chance to book into the junior suite, but would be super bummed if we both missed out on that as well as didn't even get upgraded as a Plat to the vineyard view room. On the other hand, I feel like if I select both the junior suite and the vineyard view room they'll just say "meh, he's good with the vineyard view room, just give him that even though the junior suite is available."

Thoughts on strategy? I have no other use for the SNAs this year other than business travel (don't really care about getting a suite for that) so if I don't use them for this they're pretty much gonna go to waste. Basically I want to definitely have at least a vineyard view room with a shot of the junior suite in there haha. I know I know, if I want the vineyard view room I should have just booked that room directly, but we used points for this trip so it wasn't an option (and saved a lot of money doing so).

Just want the wife and I to have a nice room for our only personal vacation this year.

Last edited by marcdc; Mar 18, 2019 at 10:41 am
Old Mar 18, 2019, 10:52 am

My stay is not for quite a while. I've also decided not to use an SNA here as we've enjoyed the vineyard view several times before. A few other thoughts...

First, given your situation, upgrading to a vineyard view room is a wise use of an SNA. The ambiance is pretty spectacular, especially if you don't live in northern california and visit wine country regularly. This is one place where the "upgraded view" is truly a differentiator with real value.

Second, you can try to call and book the vineyard view room for additional points. I have not tried to do this since the merger so i don't even know if it still exists, but pre-merger one could book the vineyard view room for an extra 1,500-2,500 starpoints a night. It was called a select premium room category or something like that. Probably worth a call to see if this option still exists. If it does, it's probably way more than an extra 4,500-7,500 points an night...yet another enhancement from the merger. But potentially still worth it to confirm the right room way ahead of time depending on your point balance...then still put in for the junior suite SNA.

Third, at least one of the junior suites is in the "acacia house." The standard rooms are nice enough that i'd probably prefer the vineyard view to having a larger room in the main house. So I'd only check the junior suite vineyard view and not ask for a junior suite in the acacia house if you are looking for views over more space. There are good pics of the acacia house junior suite on the website.

As you can see upthread, i have mixed feelings about this property. Good hard product but service when i've stayed has been more miss than hit. The biggest benefit is its proximity to downtown St Helena and Yountville. So even if you strike out on the SNA, realize that you are getting a screaming deal for being in the heart of the valley floor and just make sure to leverage that by getting out and about and planning ahead for good dinner bookings. The vineyard view is obviously superior to the estate view, but don't get too bummed if it doesn't work out.
bhrubin and marcdc like this.

Last edited by boolean64; Mar 18, 2019 at 11:01 am
Old Mar 18, 2019, 11:18 am

boolean64, thank you!

I had no idea that booking a premium view room for more points was possibly an option. 100% going to call ASAP and see if they offer that. Even if it's more than 7,500 points per night, it's probably worth it in this instance.

Just double checked the SNA request, and the junior suite room option is "Junior Suite Vineyard 1 Bedroom Junior Suite, 1 King, Vineyard view, Balcony" so it sounds like it's not part of the acacia house.

Again, thanks so much for the tips here! If I can book into the vineyard view room with points, I'll do that and then adjust the SNA to just be for the junior suite. I'll report back here regardless and let everyone know if you can book the vineyard view room with extra points.
Old Mar 18, 2019, 11:34 am

Update:

Las Alcobas is now a Category 8 hotel.... didn't realize that, I checked prior to the Category 8 changes took place earlier this month and didn't see this hotel listed (maybe I missed it), but it's definitely a Category 8 hotel now.

Also, I was told this hotel does not offer the ability to use extra points to book into a vineyard view room. Even prior to the Category 8 change, the Bonvoy rep told me this hotel was not offering the ability to use extra points to book into a vineyard view room.

So it looks like I'll have to rely on the SNAs to get either a junior suite or vineyard view room.

Thanks again to everyone for the suggestions here! I know it's a ways out, but I'll update the thread with the results of the SNA once we're in November.
bhrubin likes this.
Old Mar 18, 2019, 12:08 pm
Suspended
Aman Contributor BadgeMarriott 25+ Badge

Programs: Marriott Ambassador and LTT, UA Plat/LT Gold, AA Gold
Just want the wife and I to have a nice room for our only personal vacation this year.
Since the entry level room is the same as the better view room, I wouldn't recommend using SNAs unless you're not going to use them otherwise before they expire. But your calls as always!

Hope you enjoy!
Old Mar 18, 2019, 4:05 pm

Update:

Las Alcobas is now a Category 8 hotel.... didn't realize that, I checked prior to the Category 8 changes took place earlier this month and didn't see this hotel listed (maybe I missed it), but it's definitely a Category 8 hotel now.

Also, I was told this hotel does not offer the ability to use extra points to book into a vineyard view room. Even prior to the Category 8 change, the Bonvoy rep told me this hotel was not offering the ability to use extra points to book into a vineyard view room.

So it looks like I'll have to rely on the SNAs to get either a junior suite or vineyard view room.

Thanks again to everyone for the suggestions here! I know it's a ways out, but I'll update the thread with the results of the SNA once we're in November.
I just looked from December of 2017. I booked for 2500 more starpoints than the standard (by the way, the standard was 30,000 starpoints or 90,000 marriott points so moving up to a cat 8 moves it back to pre-merger pricing). I guess this little used but quite valuable benefit has gone away. Too bad.

Originally Posted by bhrubin
Since the entry level room is the same as the better view room, I wouldn't recommend using SNAs unless you're not going to use them otherwise before they expire. But your calls as always!

Hope you enjoy!
I have to disagree here. I'd much rather use an SNA for the difference in views here than to get two standard rooms built out as a suite at any run of the mill westin or sheraton. Sometimes the ambiance is worth more than the physical space.
marcdc likes this.
Old Apr 30, 2019, 3:30 pm

Platinum elite benefits?

We are booked here for one night using Ritz Carlton cert from before this hotel increased in points redemption. As Platinum elite, is 4 pm checkout guaranteed? Front desk says no, but Marriott bonvoy elite benefits chart says yes, has exception based on availability only for Silver.

thanks
Old Apr 30, 2019, 3:50 pm

Resort?

I now see 4 pm late checkout is subject to availability for Platinum elite if the property is a resort or convention center. Is Las Alcobas a Marriott resort property? Las Alcobas was not one of the 27 California properties listed as resorts on the Marriott website, perhaps there is another list?

thanks
Old Apr 30, 2019, 6:10 pm
SPG 5+ Badge

Programs: Marriott Ambassador, Lifetime Titanium, Delta Plat, Hilton Diamond , Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by adlibitum
We are booked here for one night using Ritz Carlton cert from before this hotel increased in points redemption. As Platinum elite, is 4 pm checkout guaranteed? Front desk says no, but Marriott bonvoy elite benefits chart says yes, has exception based on availability only for Silver.

thanks
It seems as if this is the hotel line. I wonder if one of the Lurkers can confirm? FWIW my understanding is that just because a hotel isn't listed under resorts doesn't mean it isn't considered one. I am planning to finally visit this hotel next year and it would be great to know before we actually plan our stay.

From a blog review just 10 days ago:

"Finally, the most egregious service failure occurred the morning we checked out. I called down to the front desk and asked to reconfirm our 4pm guaranteed late checkout thanks to my Ambassador Elite membership. The front-desk manager profusely apologized, but told me that Las Alcobas is considered a resort and therefore does not guarantee 4pm late checkout to elite members. I took out my phone, browsed Marriott’s resort listings, and noticed that Las Alcobas was not listed as a resort, and I’d therefore be guaranteed a 4pm late checkout. Armed with the new information, I called back down to the front desk manager, who told me that Marriott’s website was wrong, but he offered a 4pm checkout as a one-time courtesy. Then, at 3pm, a full hour before our checkout, housekeeping knocked and opened our door(!) asking us why we haven’t yet checked out."

https://thepointsguy.com/reviews/las...apa-valley-ca/

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.