Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Moxy Frankfurt Airport FRA, Germany [Master Thread]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Apr 25, 2017, 8:42 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: SkiAdcock
Per djohannw: The hotel runs a shuttle to the airport that is 5€, however the "Gateway Gardens Mitte" public-bus station is right in front of the hotel with the bus fare being 1.85€ (and so far I have never been charged on the return - driver always rejected my money).

OK place to crash as a single person before an early flight or a quick overnight on Business if you are in the need of staying near the airport. For trips w/ the family, the nearby Element would be preferable (larger room/free brekkie) if rates are similar.

http://www.marriott.com/hotels/travel/fraox-moxy-frankfurt-airport/
Cat 3.
Print Wikipost

Search this Thread

Old Mar 31, 2017, 7:17 am
Original Poster

Programs: UA *S , MR LT Titanium, HH Diamond, Hertz PC

Just stayed at the hotel two days after opening and wanted to feedback some of my experiences. This is your typical Moxy from what I have seen so far. kind of a copy of the Munich Airport Moxy. Location is right next to Condor Airline headquarter's parking garage, across from the Park Inn and around the corner from the Element Frankfurt airport. The hotel does run a shuttle to the airport that is 5€, however the "Gateway Gardens Mitte" public-bus station is right in front of the hotel with the bus fare being 1.85€ (and so far I have never been charged on the return - driver always rejected my money).

Rooms are (as already mentioned for other Moxy hotels) on the small side, my Queen bed room had about 17 sqm. As from the outside the room looked exactly the same as the one I stayed at in Munich and even had the same stupid light under the bed that is supposed to be motion-activated, however goes on as soon as you move in the bed - bring eye-shades if you are a light sleeper. Sound isolation is very good, much better than at the Element, and I heard nothing in terms of planes despite being on the top floor.

As my 69€ opening-special included "continental breakfast" I got to try that at a Moxy for the first time and thought that it was decent for a budget hotel - it included cold cuts, fruit, pastries and boiled eggs - kind of like the German HIX-breakfasts with some more choices on the cold cut side. It is served 6am to 10am daily.

Checkin and checkout worked pretty well for me, only my request for a shaving kit went nowehere as they could not find it - probably one of the minor kinks for being a new hotel.

All in all an OK place to crash as a single person before an early flight or a quick overnight on Business if you are in the need of staying near the airport. Rates currently are very low and beat my corporate rate at the Element by almost 50%, so I tried the Moxy this time. For trips with the family, however, I would still prefer the Element as it is more spacious and more comfortable than the Moxy...and if rates are similar the Element wins hands down due to the free hot breakfast they serve.

Greetings - Dirk
Old Mar 31, 2017, 9:16 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UALifetimePremierGold, Marriott LifetimeTitanium
Thanks for the trip report. Much appreciated.

Cheers.
Old Jun 6, 2017, 12:53 pm
cln

Programs: TK E+, Bonvoy LT Plat, Hilton Diamond, IHG Platinum, Dusit Gold
Ooh, my first moxy stay, it's even noisier than at alofts in the lobby.
Bed is pretty small for 2 persons, couldn't sleep good, don't like the mattress.. room is basic but nice TV. As op said it's ok if u need sleep and nothing else. No restaurant on site. You could walk to element restaurant but can't recommend that either. They have one hot dish every day at the moxy. Staff could be a bit nicer, they kinda have this we Are so cool W hotels attitude.
Prices at the shoop are rather steep, 5 euro for a 0,2 l bottled juice is over the top for this brand I think.
Well, I stayed here for thr megabonus... Wouldn't stay here for any other reason as there are so many options around....
Hyatt place will open around the corner next to element, looks pretty finished from the outside.

My rate included breakfast for one person, I had a charge of 20 EUR on the bill for breakfast.. It is only 10 euro though... They couldn't fix the bill within 15 minutes so I have to follow up by email.

Another thing which isnt relevant maybe for the most here on ft.. but i expect to be able to communicate in German in a hotel in Germany... most staff were not able to do so

Last edited by cln; Jun 7, 2017 at 7:08 am
Old Apr 11, 2018, 1:47 pm

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Platinum Elite, UA Premier 1K, TAP Silver, Hyatt Discoverist
After becoming a Platinum member in 2012 because I lived at a Residence Inn in California for almost a year, I’ve been always trying to stay at Marriott properties. Since we have an early flight out of FRA tomorrow and the SPG props aren’t yet fully integrated into the program, I decided to try out the Moxie. After we parked in the underground lot, we found the entrance toward the elevator. We had to be buzzed in. Upon getting off at lobby level we were greeted by loud music. I searched for the reception area. It appeared to be at the bar. I looked for either mobile check in which I had done or Platinum/elite. I found neither. There was a long line in front of the bar. I asked someone about elite checkin and was told that there was none. I started standing in line. I attempted to call the hotel and reached a decision tree. When I chose to ask to speak with a “crew member” the recording said no one was available and hung up. Twice! To my pleasant surprise after a while a very pleasant gentleman from Brazil asked me for my name found my reservation materials and handed me my key. Surprisingly especially for Germany I was asked for neither any ID or my CC.

After settling in the room which turned out to be “accessible”, I went back down to get a couple of drinks to take back up for us. I waited at the bar for over 10 minutes and was not acknowledged. When I finally asked in German what I would have to do to obtain a drink, the bar woman told me I had to speak English as she did not speak German. She then told me I had to stand or sit at the bar which I had been doing. I went up to the room!

Old Apr 11, 2018, 7:35 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UALifetimePremierGold, Marriott LifetimeTitanium
Ouch - not a great experience.
Old Apr 12, 2018, 8:23 pm

Programs: NH Dia/SFlyer, JL Crystal/JGC, MB Plat, WoHyatt Glob, IHG Dia Amb, HHonors Dia
Originally Posted by Nobbi
(...) When I finally asked in German what I would have to do to obtain a drink, the bar woman told me I had to speak English as she did not speak German. She then told me I had to stand or sit at the bar which I had been doing. I went up to the room!

It’s really beyond me how Marriott thinks it’s acceptable to manage hotels with hardly any staff that speaks the local language. At my first (and last) stay at the FRA property in autumn 2017 I observed some German seniors having a very hard time to communicate with the check-in/bar staff.

Recently, I made an enquiry by phone to the Moxy Munich Messe. The same issue. No German spoken.
Old Apr 13, 2018, 6:51 am

Programs: UA 1K, Bonvoy LTTE, HH Dia, HY Expl
Sadly Nobbi's experience at the FRA location seems to fit with the brand standard. It is virtually the same as I experience at the VIE location a while back. I wasn't expecting any kind of Platinum benefit like a separate check-in or any benefits but the line to check in was crazy long, no one seemed to really care and as mentioned all the staff struggled with German and wanted to speak English. I wrote it off as most of the staff was likely from neighboring Hungary (which seems to be the case a lot in Austria) but clearly if no one wanted to speak German at FRA that is not the case.
Old Apr 13, 2018, 9:44 am

Have stayed in at least four Moxys in Germany (FRA airport, MUC airport, FRA east and FRA west). Mainly stayed out of necessity. Pretty much the name experiences, but pretty much knew what I was getting into. Was mainly chasing points/nights when other Marriotts weren't available. Generally I try to avoid them for many of the reasons stated above.
Old Dec 6, 2018, 12:53 pm

Programs: Marriott Titanium, IHG Spire Elite, Hilton Gold, United Silver, BA Bronze
Had a few stays here on business. There is a Platinum and Gold check in area, a small table near the entrance. I have only seen it manned once in four visits. For my most recent visit this week, they reached out to me via email as a Platinum Premier. I replied back but the mailbox was full, which made me laugh.

I have been upgraded to an accessible suite (I had no idea they had these) but would not recommend these as I believe they are only on the 1st floor and you hear music from the bar/check in area.

Food and drink is very overpriced. I get some carbonated water (€6 for a large bottle) using my plat $10 credit.

Strongly dislike the Moxy theme. Trying ridiculously hard to be 'millennial' and I say this as a millennial. Looking at the other clientelle, 80% of us are business travellers who are staying because our corporate policies or client budgets would not allow better.

That all said, the bed is comfortable enough and the room as a whole is ok. I will keep coming back as long as I can bank the nights and points.
Old Apr 10, 2019, 8:03 am

Originally Posted by MrM2016
I should add that my check out experience was dreadful. Initially they tried to check out a different guest by mistake. Then the agent was struggling to enter my business address - I had to help him on his screen map the address to the right fields. This wasn't my first time at a Moxy dealing with this, he actually inquired if I work for Marriott given my familiarity with their UI(!)..
Based on lots of Moxy reviews for various properties, the training aspect of their staff leads a lot to be desired. I had a similar issue at the Hampton Inn FRA shortly after it opened as well. They had no clue how to work anything.
Old Apr 24, 2019, 8:45 am

I've stayed in pretty much every hotel in the Gateway Gardens area except for the Moxy so I have an airport shuttle question....does the Moxy Frankfurt Airport offer an airport shuttle or not? Reports above that it does but on the website there are conflicting reports.

On the main property page it lists "Airport Shuttle" under Key Amenities as pasted below but then on the How to Get there page it lists that there is NO airport shuttle. (Bolded below to show discrepancy!)

Key Amenities
  • Free high-speed internet
  • Pet friendly
  • Fitness center
  • Airport shuttle
Frankfurt Airport (FRA)

Airport Phone: +49 180 6 3724636

Hotel direction: 3.2 miles SW

This hotel does not provide shuttle service.
  • Estimated taxi fare: 15 EUR (one way)

Last edited by christianj; Apr 24, 2019 at 8:54 am
Old Apr 24, 2019, 2:06 pm

Programs: Mattiott Lifetime Titanium Elite, LH SEN, IB Emerald, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by christianj
I've stayed in pretty much every hotel in the Gateway Gardens area except for the Moxy so I have an airport shuttle question....does the Moxy Frankfurt Airport offer an airport shuttle or not? Reports above that it does but on the website there are conflicting reports.

On the main property page it lists "Airport Shuttle" under Key Amenities as pasted below but then on the How to Get there page it lists that there is NO airport shuttle. (Bolded below to show discrepancy!)

Key Amenities
  • Free high-speed internet
  • Pet friendly
  • Fitness center
  • Airport shuttle
Frankfurt Airport (FRA)

Airport Phone: +49 180 6 3724636

Hotel direction: 3.2 miles SW

This hotel does not provide shuttle service.
  • Estimated taxi fare: 15 EUR (one way)

I recall a sign at the check-in desk/bar that you can book transportation to T1 for a fee. So, there's a transfer...
Old Apr 24, 2019, 4:50 pm

I think only one way is shuttle service. Second way you must pay this told me FD at Element when I ask. We stay finaly at Sheraton Airport FRA.
Old May 11, 2019, 12:08 pm

Programs: Hilton Honors, Marriott Bonvoy, Accor, Hyatt, (Former IHG Ambassador)
Stayed here last month. Seems like a fairly newly built hotel and there are loads of other hotels around it like hampton by hilton, holiday inn, hyatt place and so on. Rooms are decent size. Windows can be opened. Everything looks quite new.

There is a hotel shuttle to/from terminal 2 but you have to pay extra for this I think. It IS possible to walk from terminal 2 to this hotel and I have done this myself but I would only walk if the following conditions apply to you:

It's not raining badly or very dark/late at night

You are not carrying too much luggage

You have studied the route to walk beforehand using a map and google street view.

Walking to the hotel from terminal 2 is easy IF you know the way. If you don't it's very easy to get lost.

When exiting the terminal turn left and walk straight past all the buses and taxis, until you get to the white colored ramp the cars/buses use to drive up to terminal 2. Walk down the ramp (the left side of the ramp has a wider pedesterian sidewalk than the right side) until you get to the traffic light at the bottom. Cross the road to the right side, and then cross again left and walk towards the huge underpass under the motorway/highway. You MUST walk under the underpass on the RIGHT hand side as there is no way to cross again if you use the left side. Once you've gone walked by the underpass under the motorway/highway, turn right onto the big road where all the hotels are. The first hotel you will see is a hampton by hilton, the holiday inn is right after that a bit further behind so you won't see it right away until you pass the hampton...after that you will see the "park inn" by raddison hotel also on the left. The moxy is a bit further down the road after the park inn. It's on the right hand side of the road.

If you know where you are going and walk at a normal speed, the walk from terminal 2 front door to the hotel should take about 20 minutes. A bit longer if you're pulling heavy luggage.

Last edited by est-gratuite; May 11, 2019 at 12:15 pm
Old Jul 3, 2019, 7:07 am

Programs: UA, Qantas, MAS
A concept too far

My experience matches those above. Adequate room for an overnight stop. The hotel is in the business park of a major hub airport, but desperately avoids serving the business traveller.

Nobody ever answered the chat service. Rooms have no phones. Little clarity around transfers. My shower drain was partially blocked with waste floating up as the shower base filled. Check in was a shambles as their system failed. And again at check out. I still don't have my account...promised by email. Negligible recognition of platinum status. Maybe points...cannot tell yet. The whole place is trying so hard to look cool it just looks sloppy.

Choose somewhere else if you need basic service standards.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.