Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Washington Georgetown Marriott [Master Thread]

Old Feb 26, 2017, 8:48 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: goodeats21
***Property now charging a $25 PER NIGHT "Daily Destination Fee"

Category 5 Hotel (not Cat. 7 as listed in the first post)

M-Club on 1st floor, evening hors d'oeuvres service Sun-Th only

Despite its name, the property is not actually in Georgetown but about a 20 minute walk from it. It's closer to DuPont Circle - Neighborhood for hotel is known as "West End".

Property Details: 9 floors, 462 rooms, 8 suites
Print Wikipost

Washington Georgetown Marriott [Master Thread]

Old Dec 22, 2018, 6:36 am

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Gold and Current Platinum, Hilton Gold
Checked into the Washington DC Georgetown Marriott last night

Will write a full trip report later but wanted to answer some questions about the M Club lounge. This has to be the nicest domestic Marriott lounge I’ve seen. The coffee machine is Illy plus a full spread of fresh brewed coffee. Full hot breakfast with eggs, bacon, sausage, and oatmeal on a Saturday morning of a holiday weekend. Full continental - breads, yogurts, etc. Papers are out and available and two employees watching over the lounge. Build quality is really high. Nice design - typical mid-century modern touches you’re seeing in hotels recently. See pics below.

Old Dec 22, 2018, 10:27 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K1.75MM, Hyatt Globalist, abandoned Marriott LTT (RIP SPG), Hertz PC
Looks fantastic

I get that not all Marriotts get M Clubs (BTW have they given any guidance on how many eventually will?) but most seem to botch something as simple as coffee...once reason why even at similar price points Westins always >>> Marriotts for me just because of brand standards like that
Old Dec 22, 2018, 1:16 pm
Suspended

Programs: Delta Diamond, Marriott Ambassador & Lifetime Titanium, Hertz President's Circle, United Silver
Originally Posted by Nash_Andrew
Will write a full trip report later but wanted to answer some questions about the M Club lounge. This has to be the nicest domestic Marriott lounge I’ve seen. The coffee machine is Illy plus a full spread of fresh brewed coffee. Full hot breakfast with eggs, bacon, sausage, and oatmeal on a Saturday morning of a holiday weekend. Full continental - breads, yogurts, etc. Papers are out and available and two employees watching over the lounge. Build quality is really high. Nice design - typical mid-century modern touches you’re seeing in hotels recently. See pics below.

I agree. The only negatives are the discontinuation of food at night on Friday and Saturdays and the ridiculous wine prices for the self-serve wine dispenser. Some of the staff have been working the lounge for 2 years now. They always remember me. Excellent ladies, even if they aren't as polished as they could be. Think more like the waitress at Big Boy or the local family-style restaurant than prim and proper.
Old Dec 22, 2018, 1:16 pm
Suspended

Programs: Delta Diamond, Marriott Ambassador & Lifetime Titanium, Hertz President's Circle, United Silver
Originally Posted by UA-NYC
Looks fantastic

I get that not all Marriotts get M Clubs (BTW have they given any guidance on how many eventually will?) but most seem to botch something as simple as coffee...once reason why even at similar price points Westins always >>> Marriotts for me just because of brand standards like that
It's my understanding that every new Marriott property and every fully renovated Marriott property gets a M Club.
Old Dec 22, 2018, 4:39 pm

Programs: MRSPG LT Tit, HH Diamond, Hertz Pres.
Originally Posted by hockeyinsider
It's my understanding that every new Marriott property and every fully renovated Marriott property gets a M Club.
and from what I have seen, most of these will be 24/7 clubs
Old Dec 22, 2018, 11:21 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by etsmyers

and from what I have seen, most of these will be 24/7 clubs
Mostly. At least in the sense that you can go in at 11 p.m. and get a Pepsi.

One disappointment has been that originally, at least as I understood it, the M Club lounges were supposed to offer expanded food and drink choices over the legacy concierge lounges. The Marriott Washington certainly adopted that concept, including, at least most of the first two and a half years, on weekends at night.

Other properties with M Club lounges have been operating them with the same pathetic food selection as they did in the old concierge lounges; chicken wings, cheese cubes, maybe some crackers, and whatever. Some of them even close the lounge for breakfast on weekends. I would point to the Marriott properties in Buffalo, Syracuse, and Pontiac/Bloomfield Hills/Auburn Hills.

Then there's the Marriott London County Hall, which transformed its executive lounge (I don't think it was ever called a concierge lounge) into a M Club, but doesn't have a buffet and instead gives you three individual (and small) servings of food each night. If you want more you have to pay. At least that was the arrangement at the end of 2017. That was enough for me to stop staying there.

I've noticed in the last year there has also been a gradual uptick of properties up-selling restaurant food and drinks in M Club. The Marriott in Georgetown puts menus on nearly every table in the M Club at night. I'm not sure the point of ordering in the M Club and paying restaurant prices but not getting restaurant service, especially when it comes to the self-serve wine dispenser.
Old Dec 24, 2018, 10:07 am

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Gold and Current Platinum, Hilton Gold
Great location and a brand-new feel at the Marriott Georgetown

Stayed for three nights over the weekend of Dec 21. Rate was $98 per night on a AAA discount. Spoiler alert: it was a steal at that rate.

Won’t go into detail on location as it’s been covered numerous times other than to say it’s ideal - convenient and very pleasant.

Checked in late in the evening. One employee at the desk and no other guests in the lobby area, quick and easy, and we were upgraded to an Executive King on the 7th floor.

The common areas: it is apparent the hotel has been recently renovated. Though per this thread the work was done about a year ago, it almost feels as though everything is literally brand new. No signs of wear yet. Nice lobby bar and restaurant concept with a very large wall-screen tv, low and high top seating, and a high ceiling with very unique lighting. Loved the feel and unlike many Marriott lobbies it’s a place you’d genuinely want to spend time as a guest. The guest floor hallways also feel brand new though the monotone grey color scheme is a bit overwhelming. Two minor nitpicks on the refresh would be the elevator cabs were not redone (and they need it) and for some reason - which I can’t quite put my finger on - the porte cochere and entry doors aren’t up to snuff with the rest of the build. They just feel cheap, dated, or both. A couple lobby pics posted below.

The room: very large, probably 500+ sf, with a big sectional sofa and the bed “off in the distance” in the corner with its back to the building’s exterior wall. Huge tv and real desk - though no “real” closet as others have mentioned. The closet setup didn’t bother me but an old fashioned hang it all up inside a closeable door closet it certainly is not. I didn’t get any pics but the pictures on the hotel website are accurate. Just like the common areas the room felt brand new. Overall I really like the new Marriott decorating scheme though, like the hallway, it’s a little too grey for my taste. The bathroom was a highlight as it’s incredibly bright with all new surfaces - very high quality - and great fixtures. Super hot water and good pressure.

M Club: see my notes a few posts above but I was overall very impressed. Can’t comment on the lack of Friday and Saturday night apps because the only night we went in for apps was Sunday. That said, Sunday night had a nice spread of high quality hot food. Meatballs and polenta, some mushroom apps, hummus trays, etc. Unless you were ravenously hungry you could make a decent dinner off of it. The servers as some have mentioned aren’t overly polished but they were incredibly attentive and friendly - I’d take them over a stuffy waiter any day. The whole lounge just felt higher quality than any other Marriott lounge I’ve experienced. Usually at least in my experience the lounge isn’t something you’d go out of your way to use - but my wife and I found ourselves stopping in regularly for a snack, coffee, water, etc. As I noted above one of the highlights is the coffee bar. Always fresh hot Illy coffee available plus the excellent self serve latte and cappuccino machine. We had a full breakfast in the lounge every morning of our stay and were very happy with it each time.

Lobby bar and restaurant Visiteur: good vibe and good food. We had a flatbread pizza late one evening and it was delicious. The alcohol is slightly pricey but considering the city and location didn’t feel extortionary. This outlet serves its purpose well.

With some minor dings for a few common area touches that need improvement, this is an otherwise very nice property that I would not hesitate to choose again.

Last edited by Nash_Andrew; Dec 24, 2018 at 10:11 am Reason: Added pictures
Old Dec 24, 2018, 10:45 am
Suspended

Though per this thread the work was done about a year ago, it almost feels as though everything is literally brand new. No signs of wear yet.
The M Club has been open two years in January. Room renovations are 2–2 1/2 years.

Two minor nitpicks on the refresh would be the elevator cabs were not redone (and they need it) and for some reason - which I can’t quite put my finger on - the porte cochere and entry doors aren’t up to snuff with the rest of the build. They just feel cheap, dated, or both. A couple lobby pics posted below.

Every time I stay one of the two doors at the main entrance is malfunctioning and roped off.

I've actually thought this property is more Renaissance than Marriott, at least the decor and even the uniforms of the staff.
Old Jan 13, 2019, 4:07 pm

Programs: Marriott LTP, Hilton Diamond, Accor Gold, Hyatt Explorist,, Delta Plat,
Not much to add from Nash_Andrew, but I had an amazing stay the week before Christmas. I had a mid-week stay, Wednesday check-in, Friday check-out. Check-in was smooth, warmly welcomed by staff at the Elite desk. Personally shown the M Club and then to the elevators by the person that checked me in. Upgraded to a corner king - large room, enjoyed the natural light from windows on 2 sides. Agree with Nash_Andrew, best domestic Marriott M Club/Concierge Lounge I've been in. SO many options for morning and evening vittles. Plenty of seats. Loved the sparkling water dispenser (and glass bottles provided for filing rather than the plastic bottles at so many hotels).

One other note,every single employee I walked past greeted me throughout my stay. Made me feel like I was at a much more upscale hotel than a Marriott.

Definitely my new go-to hotel in DC.
Old Feb 24, 2019, 4:39 pm

You guys weren't kidding about the M-Club here. It's amazing. Staying here now, dinner lounge presentation had gourmet small plates including chicken breast with brussels sprouts, turkey meatball with mashed potatoes, two types of excellent salads, hummus, antipasti, make your own salad station. Also Joyce is wonderful with prompt, warm, and professional service.

Dessert was not as extensive as dinner, however, still delicious and very gourmet! Small portions of 7-layer opera cake.

I forget to ask at checkin, but are elites allowed to eat in the restaurant in lieu of the lounge breakfast? (Although I'm sure the lounge breakfast will be wonderful).

The room itself isn't as impressive, and smells musty. Titanium, upgraded to a larger king room which has an odd layout and a tiny corner window.

Last edited by iluvdoco; Feb 24, 2019 at 6:12 pm
Old Feb 24, 2019, 5:41 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by iluvdoco
You guys weren't kidding about the M-Club here. It's amazing. Staying here now, dinner lounge presentation had gourmet small plates including chicken breast with brussels sprouts, turkey meatball with mashed potatoes, two types of excellent salads, hummus, antipasti, make your own salad station. Also Joyce is wonderful with prompt, warm, and professional service.

I forget to ask at checkin, but are elites allowed to eat in the restaurant in lieu of the lounge breakfast? (Although I'm sure the lounge breakfast will be wonderful).

The room itself isn't impressive, and smells musty. Titanium, upgraded to a larger king room which has an odd layout and a tiny corner window.
Unfortunately, they do not give elites the option of breakfast in the restaurant. But no worries because the M Club breakfast is quite good at this property.

I just stayed at the Ritz-Carlton, Pentagon City. As with all Ritz-Carlton properties, club lounge access is not complimentary by virtue of elite status. With the exception of the complimentary alcohol -- and the wine was cheap-as-heck -- it was not worth the approximate $100 extra per night for club lounge access. The food in the M Club at the Marriott Georgetown was both more extensive and better.

Ritz-Carlton, Pentagon City only had beef on French bread appetizers, mushroom tarts, cheese, and shrimp cocktails. By contrast, the Marriott Georgetown has at least two hot dishes and a full salad bar.
Old Feb 24, 2019, 6:01 pm

Originally Posted by hockeyinsider
Unfortunately, they do not give elites the option of breakfast in the restaurant. But no worries because the M Club breakfast is quite good at this property.

I just stayed at the Ritz-Carlton, Pentagon City. As with all Ritz-Carlton properties, club lounge access is not complimentary by virtue of elite status. With the exception of the complimentary alcohol -- and the wine was cheap-as-heck -- it was not worth the approximate $100 extra per night for club lounge access. The food in the M Club at the Marriott Georgetown was both more extensive and better.

Ritz-Carlton, Pentagon City only had beef on French bread appetizers, mushroom tarts, cheese, and shrimp cocktails. By contrast, the Marriott Georgetown has at least two hot dishes and a full salad bar.
Good to know the Marriott Georgetown has a lounge superior even to the Ritz PC! Any idea how its lounge selections compare to those of the Ritz DC or the JW DC?
Old Feb 24, 2019, 6:21 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K1.75MM, Hyatt Globalist, abandoned Marriott LTT (RIP SPG), Hertz PC
I still wonder who are all these people spending an extra ~$100 a day for RC lounge access...
hockeyinsider likes this.
Old Feb 24, 2019, 6:24 pm
Suspended

I still wonder who are all these people spending an extra ~$100 a day for RC lounge access...
My client booked me a $199 per night rate with club lounge access about three months ago, so it was a deal. But there's no way on earth I would pay $500 for a room here, which was the going rate when I checked in, nor would I pay the $100 or so extra. I drank a bottle of Hotel Ritz Paris/Barons de Rothschild champagne for three nights, but that was the only value as I was on business and could write-off breakfast and dinner.

The Marriott Georgetown is a much better value, although alcohol is not free.
Old Feb 25, 2019, 6:30 am

Bundled corporate rates, bundled leisure rates, people with money, people whose clients have money, etc.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.