Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Washington Georgetown Marriott [Master Thread]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Feb 26, 2017, 8:48 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: goodeats21
***Property now charging a $25 PER NIGHT "Daily Destination Fee"

Category 5 Hotel (not Cat. 7 as listed in the first post)

M-Club on 1st floor, evening hors d'oeuvres service Sun-Th only

Despite its name, the property is not actually in Georgetown but about a 20 minute walk from it. It's closer to DuPont Circle - Neighborhood for hotel is known as "West End".

Property Details: 9 floors, 462 rooms, 8 suites
Print Wikipost

Washington Georgetown Marriott [Master Thread]

Search this Thread

Old Jan 28, 2018, 8:57 am

Spent one weekend night here. Very pleased with the concierge lounge breakfast. Offerings were sparse on a Saturday night but the lounge itself was quiet and nice. One of the better Marriotts in DC (and there are quite a few)!
Old Jan 28, 2018, 4:20 pm
Suspended

Programs: Delta Diamond, Marriott Ambassador & Lifetime Titanium, Hertz President's Circle, United Silver
Originally Posted by hereforthepoints
Very pleased with the concierge lounge breakfast.
The M Club lounges are distinct from the older concierge lounges.
Old Jan 28, 2018, 10:48 pm
Used to be bulldoggolfer05

Programs: HGP DMD, HHonors DMD, SPG PLT, MR PLT
Originally Posted by hockeyinsider
I've asked and been upgraded to the large king and large double rooms. They really don't have many suites. Before renovation, I think they had one real suite and then several hospitality suites with Murphy-style fold-down beds. The larger rooms with the alcove are nice.
See my post from back in July. The "Executive King" that I was given was a proper 1-BR suite.
Old Jun 25, 2018, 9:16 pm

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Titanium, Hyatt Globalist
Continuing to try Marriott properties this year (I come from a 99% SPG side). I am currently staying here and pleasantly surprised by how nice this property is.

Service is excellent -- from front desk staff who could not find a suite (she tried) but gave me a huge corner room and who spent a lot of time going over what restaurants and what she likes in Georgetown to the lounge staff that is incredibly friendly. They were hugging repeat guests who told me that the service is impeccable and warm.

Rooms are well appointed, large and frankly better than any NA Westin or Sheraton I have stayed in. I actually really liked my room, except for the bathroom which is way too cramped. But the living area and bed area very nice. Has a modern feel.

Lounge is quite nice as well. It does not look like a NA American lounge, and had nice take away candy bags and drinks for people who partake in that. Better than the lounge nannies in some properties who stop people from bringing snacks out.

Location is a bit far from Georgetown but I walked there in a 15 minute walk and had a nice dinner. Location-wise, place is closer to Dupont Circle as people have mentioned but still within walking distance of Georgetown (though I like to walk an hour or two a day so the walk seemed short but not right in close vicinity).

Guest services left me 2 bottles of Voss water and some macaroons which was nice (even though because of diet I will leave the macaroons and would have preferred nuts or berries but the thought was nice).

I'd call this a very nice 4 41/2 star property. Not luxurious. But very nice. I would not come here just to stay here but would absolutely stay here again if needed to be in the vicinity. Absolutely.

Overall, my stays this year at Marriotts (JWs in London, HK, and Phu Quoc... and Marriotts in DC and Boston Long Wharf) make me feel far more comfortable with the merger. THere are some really nice things about Marriott
Old Jun 25, 2018, 9:32 pm
Original Member

Programs: AA 2MM, Bonvoy LTT, Hilton Diamond
I enjoyed earlier stay this year and would come back but I think it is a 3.5-4 out of 5 stars at most.
Old Jun 26, 2018, 4:42 am
Suspended

Programs: Delta Diamond, Marriott Ambassador & Lifetime Titanium, Hertz President's Circle, United Silver
Originally Posted by SHLTP
I'd call this a very nice 4 41/2 star property. Not luxurious. But very nice.
Originally Posted by seawolf
I enjoyed earlier stay this year and would come back but I think it is a 3.5-4 out of 5 stars at most.
It is a very nice domestic Marriott, in my opinion. Actually, I think it feels more like a Renaissance property than a Marriott. But whatever.

I would give it 3 1/2 stars because it doesn't have proper room service, yet charges traditional room service prices for a so-so boxed meal delivered in a bag with plastic cutlery. From a strictly service standpoint, that's unacceptable for a 4-star or 5-star hotel.

Regardless, this has become my go-to hotel in Washington if only because of the M Club.
Old Jun 26, 2018, 6:31 am
Original Member

Programs: AA 2MM, Bonvoy LTT, Hilton Diamond
Also no swimming pool. I revise down to 3.5 stars.
Old Aug 7, 2018, 11:54 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K 1MM; Marriott LT Titanium; Amex MR; Chase UR; Hertz PC; Global Entry
Stayed here for a single Saturday night this month. Overall...meh.

By the way, is this really in Georgetown?

Room was pretty disappointing. No upgrade as a Plat Prem on a paid stay. Bathroom is sub-par. Slimmed down toilet, which you still have to crawl over to get into the back of the shower.
Cramped space overall. Door barely clears toilet when opening the door.

Tiny, slender closet space, mostly taken up by ironing board. Adjacent open clothes rod....more in-line with Fairfield Inn then a Full Service Marriott.
No bottled water in room...but fun to schlep up refillable bottles from the M club when I am thirsty...
Plus side: Large TV, and at least an attempt at a desk space in the drawer unit. Having a Mini Fridge was also nice.

M Club was also disappointing. No evening food. Snacks limited to bags of chips and buckets of cheap sweets.
Nice enough to have soda available, I guess, but not really drinking a lot of that these days.

Breakfast was a let down as well. No omelette station, no waffle maker, etc.
Just bare bones water-y scrambled eggs, bacon/sausage, and oatmeal. Better than average cereal selection, though mostly sugary crap.

Plus side was illy coffee maker.

For the price and location, I should have chose differently.

Note: There is no door to conceal the closet / wardrobe drawers.

Old Aug 7, 2018, 11:59 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend
Original Poster

Programs: UALifetimePremierGold, Marriott LifetimeTitanium
Thanks for the update w/ pics. Sounds like it's gone downhill in quality.

Cheers.
Old Aug 7, 2018, 1:45 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by goodeats21

Room was pretty disappointing. No upgrade as a Plat Prem on a paid stay. Bathroom is sub-par. Slimmed down toilet, which you still have to crawl over to get into the back of the shower.

Tiny, slender closet space, mostly taken up by ironing board. Adjacent open clothes rod....more in-line with Fairfield Inn then a Full Service Marriott.
No bottled water in room...but fun to schlep up refillable bottles from the M club when I am thirsty...
Plus side: Large TV, and at least an attempt at a desk space in the drawer unit. Having a Mini Fridge was also nice.

M Club was also disappointing. No evening food. Snacks limited to bags of chips and buckets of cheap sweets.
Nice enough to have soda available, I guess, but not really drinking a lot of that these days.

Just bare bones water-y scrambled eggs, bacon/sausage, and oatmeal. Better than average cereal selection, though mostly sugary crap.

I wonder if they have reduced the M Club offerings because until recently it was the best M Club or concierge lounge in Washington, D.C. They had enough for a dinner every week, 7-days-a-week, including a salad bar.
Old Aug 7, 2018, 4:26 pm
ryw

Programs: DL GM, Marriott Titanium

I had a stay for several weeknights in May this year, and thought the M Club evening offerings were among the better that I've seen in the US. From the first night I recall 2 hot buffet dishes, salad bar, several small prepared dishes (a hummus dip, a prepared salad, and a meat skewer I believe), chips and dips in addition to the usual cheese/meat/crudite options. Curious if their weeknight evening offerings are still up to par (also did they ever have weekend evening offerings? I didn't ask and have only stayed there on weeknights).

@goodeats21, were you in the main tower? My room was in the "business wing" which I think is just a series of rooms behind the conference center on the 2nd and 3rd floors (I got to use a separate elevator though). The bathroom I had was regular sized and maybe seemed more updated. I had a similar experience with the rest of the room amenities though.
Old Aug 7, 2018, 5:13 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K 1MM; Marriott LT Titanium; Amex MR; Chase UR; Hertz PC; Global Entry
Originally Posted by hockeyinsider
I wonder if they have reduced the M Club offerings because until recently it was the best M Club or concierge lounge in Washington, D.C. They had enough for a dinner every week, 7-days-a-week, including a salad bar.
Definitely no dinner on the weekends now. Card given at check-in listed evening service only Sunday-Thursday.

Originally Posted by ryw
I had a stay for several weeknights in May this year, and thought the M Club evening offerings were among the better that I've seen in the US. From the first night I recall 2 hot buffet dishes, salad bar, several small prepared dishes (a hummus dip, a prepared salad, and a meat skewer I believe), chips and dips in addition to the usual cheese/meat/crudite options. Curious if their weeknight evening offerings are still up to par (also did they ever have weekend evening offerings? I didn't ask and have only stayed there on weeknights).

@goodeats21, were you in the main tower? My room was in the "business wing" which I think is just a series of rooms behind the conference center on the 2nd and 3rd floors (I got to use a separate elevator though). The bathroom I had was regular sized and maybe seemed more updated. I had a similar experience with the rest of the room amenities though.
I was on the 9th floor. Elevator bank across the lobby from reception desk and M Lounge. Was a bank of 3 elevators, so i don't think it was in a special area.
Old Aug 7, 2018, 8:19 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by ryw
Curious if their weeknight evening offerings are still up to par (also did they ever have weekend evening offerings? I didn't ask and have only stayed there on weeknights).
They had evening food 7 days a week.
Old Aug 7, 2018, 8:19 pm
Suspended

Definitely no dinner on the weekends now. Card given at check-in listed evening service only Sunday-Thursday.

I was on the 9th floor. Elevator bank across the lobby from reception desk and M Lounge. Was a bank of 3 elevators, so i don't think it was in a special area.
All of the bathrooms are kind of small, which I don't understand because this building isn't that old (maybe 1970s or 1980s) but some of these king-sized rooms have an alcove that makes the room as big as executive or junior suites in other hotels.
Old Dec 12, 2018, 6:02 am
Suspended

I stayed here Monday.

As usual, excellent M Club. One of the better domestic lounges. The breakfast is fantastic. Two or three hot dishes every night, a salad bar, cold meats, and cheese. The cheese selection has declined in the last two years, though. There used to be 2-3 artisan cheeses. Not it's just cheddar cheese cubes and some other kind of cheese that wasn't labeled. Before they'd have blue, goat cheese and even brie. Oh well. M Club still has the tacky, self-serve wine machine with prices as high as the lobby bar. If I'm going to pay $15 or $19 for a glass of wine I want it to be served to me by the bartender. Also, they now have menus on every table in the M Club at night with dinner and drink prices if you want something beyond what's available in the M Cub. It's a tacky up-sell, if you ask me. I can also confirm they no longer serve food at night on Friday and Saturdays; only Sunday–Thursday. That's also a change.

My room had two bottles of water, which is a change because previously this property didn't stock water in guest rooms, citing Marriott's green initiatives to reduce plastic waste. Also, unlike before, there was one bathrobe and one pair of slippers in the room. Before these were only provided upon request. It does seem as if this property has switched from standard feather pillows to the cheap polyester fill pillows, which I find lumpy and not comfortable.

Restaurant prices are still outrageous considering there are so many better bars and restaurants in the area. Caesar salad and Diet Pepsi gave to $36 with tip and tax. Most places are around $20.

The biggest problem here is lack of elite recognition. It was an issue before August and it remains an issue. Front desk doesn't know the difference between platinum premier, platinum and even ambassador. Nothing special for ambassador.

Last edited by hockeyinsider; Dec 12, 2018 at 6:24 am

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.