Bathroom amenities in Marriott Brand

Old Feb 22, 17, 9:52 am
Original Poster

Bathroom amenities in Marriott Brand

I am not sure about other Marriott brand but now almost all of JW's Bathroom amenities is all the same in every property. Don't you feel this is a little kind of boring? It's like mcdonald.

I remember they used to have different products in different property, for some premium one like JW in Hong Kong was using bvlgari . Now it's replaced.

Discovering different bathroom amenities is part of the experience for staying in a luxury hotel. For example at Four Seasons, you can usually expect some real nice bathroom products from those brand name. I a, not sure about MO or Ritz Carlton, but I feel they are cutting their expense in this area and starting using the same products in every property.

The JW Marriott Dongdaemun Square Seoul using L'Occitane, anybody knows why? I though it is mandatory for owner to using the same products from the company that sign agreement with Marriott Chain.
GalaxyChris likes this.
Old Feb 22, 17, 10:01 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UALifetimePremierGold, Marriott LifetimeTitanium
I've stayed at JW properties that offer different brands of amenities. I've also stayed at Marriott brands that have offered different brands of amenities. I've stayed at hotels where the suites got a higher amenity brand than regular rooms.

From a cost perspective, presumably a hotel company (any hotel company; not specific to Marriott) would get larger discounts on high volume purchases of amenities, so for some of the mainstream brands offering a single brand amenity might make sense.

If you prefer the amenities at FS or MO's, you obviously have the option of staying at them vs. JW or RC.

One amenity brand I'd like to see go away is Thann. Can't stand the stuff. I do like L'Occitane and I love Penhaligon's Quercus, which have been at properties I stay at.

Cheers.
Old Feb 22, 17, 10:11 am

Programs: UA GS, Marriott/SPG Amb, Hyatt Explorist
Originally Posted by SkiAdcock View Post
One amenity brand I'd like to see go away is Thann. Can't stand the stuff. I do like L'Occitane and I love Penhaligon's Quercus, which have been at properties I stay at.
Agreed. Many of the Marriotts I've stayed at have Thann products and they're not great.
Old Feb 22, 17, 2:22 pm

Programs: AAdvantage Platinum, Platinum Marriott
I'm also a Thann hater. My favorites of the hotel products are Westin's products and W's Bliss products. I don't really like the Ritz Purple Water products that much, either. I used to dig the white tea Bulgari ones a lot better.
Old Feb 22, 17, 8:23 pm

Programs: AA Plat Pro, Marriott Plat, Club Carlson Gold
The Thann products smell nasty. I've begun bringing my own. PITA, but I do it.
Old Feb 22, 17, 10:07 pm

Those Thann products are really awful. I pack my own products when I know I'm going to a Marriott.

bobette
Old Feb 22, 17, 10:15 pm

Programs: AS MVP Gold 75K, UA Gold, Marriott LTT, Avis President's Club
I agree. Don't like Thann. I feel my skin is so dry after using those products.

I'm hoping the bliss products SPG uses expand. I use their face wash and it's great!
Old Feb 22, 17, 11:15 pm

Programs: AA Plat Pro, Marriott Plat, Club Carlson Gold
And those Bliss products smell great. Love them.
Old Feb 23, 17, 12:17 am

Originally Posted by Vince Chan View Post
I am not sure about other Marriott brand but now almost all of JW's Bathroom amenities is all the same in every property. Don't you feel this is a little kind of boring? It's like mcdonald.

I remember they used to have different products in different property, for some premium one like JW in Hong Kong was using bvlgari . Now it's replaced.

Discovering different bathroom amenities is part of the experience for staying in a luxury hotel. For example at Four Seasons, you can usually expect some real nice bathroom products from those brand name. I a, not sure about MO or Ritz Carlton, but I feel they are cutting their expense in this area and starting using the same products in every property.

The JW Marriott Dongdaemun Square Seoul using L'Occitane, anybody knows why? I though it is mandatory for owner to using the same products from the company that sign agreement with Marriott Chain.

FWIW i was at the JW Marriott - South Beach in Singapore a few weeks ago and they gave out wood tooth brush kits. Yes, wood toothbrushes. i was there for a week so ended up with 10 kits, lol...
Old Feb 23, 17, 6:38 am

Programs: SPG/Ritz/Marriott Gold, Hilton Diamond
Cool

Originally Posted by Vince Chan View Post

I really don't want to be a troll here and certainly don't want to quash your right to raise the topic, but I have to say that this entire screams First World Problems at its worst. I have never gone to any luxury hotel and rated them on their brand of shampoo. I'll knock them if amenities are missing but not because they used L'Occitane or Dove.
Old Feb 23, 17, 9:12 am

Programs: BA Gold,, Marriott Plat
Wife and I absolutely love the Elemis products at the Shelbourne Hotel at Dublin. Shampoo and conditioner smell great. After a 9 night stay we left with a booty to take home. It's very disappointing to find that these items are non existent for consumer purchase just their skin lines are.
I agree the Thann products are "meh" ��
Old Feb 23, 17, 9:25 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UALifetimePremierGold, Marriott LifetimeTitanium
Originally Posted by ricski64 View Post
Wife and I absolutely love the Elemis products at the Shelbourne Hotel at Dublin. Shampoo and conditioner smell great. After a 9 night stay we left with a booty to take home.
I love the Penhaligon's Quercus at Grosvenor House/JW Marriott in London. PQ is publicly available for purchase (along w/ other Penhaligon products from various outlets such as Saks), but it's not cheap.

Cheers.
Old Feb 23, 17, 9:57 am

Programs: AA-CK, Marriott Lifetime Titanium
Boring Amenities?

I just finished a 1 night stay in a suite at the Rayong Marriott (Thailand), one of the amenities next o the shampoo, mouth wash etc., was a ring used on male anatomy. Surprised me enough to text my friends who immediately provided sophomoric responses.
Nazdoom likes this.
Old Feb 23, 17, 7:44 pm

Programs: UA Life Gold, Marriott Life Titanium
Chain hotels are called chains for a reason. If you want a unique experience at every hotel you check into, don't use a chain. They're supposed to have a consistent product from one location to the next so that frequent travelers generally know what to expect.
Old Feb 24, 17, 8:38 am

Programs: LTP, PP
Found these comments/reviews interesting about the Thann stuff. I'm no connoisseur of any bathroom products but really liked this and now seems it can't even be bought.

https://www.amazon.com/Thann-Aromati.../dp/B00DQ90PPC

Search this Thread
Search Engine: