FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/marriott-marriott-bonvoy-766/)
-   -   Marriott Bonvoy hotels in and near Victoria, BC (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/marriott-marriott-bonvoy/1823610-marriott-bonvoy-hotels-near-victoria-bc.html)

mahasamatman Feb 19, 2017 6:19 pm

Marriott Bonvoy hotels in and near Victoria, BC

Does anyone who's stayed at both have a recommendation? Locations are comparable, so I don't consider that a differentiator. I have both of them booked for Victoria Day weekend at almost exactly the same rate, so I'm just looking for a straight-up quality comparison.

Premiere Elite - YEG Feb 19, 2017 8:13 pm

I typically stay at the Marriott and receive exceptional service. You may want to double check with them to ensure the concierge lounge is available during your dates. Overall the amenities, service and location make for a great stay.

I'm at the Delta this Wednesday and will let you know how it stacks up in comparison.

scotchmeup Feb 20, 2017 12:08 pm

Originally Posted by mahasamatman (Post 27931655)
Does anyone who's stayed at both have a recommendation? Locations are comparable, so I don't consider that a differentiator. I have both of them booked for Victoria Day weekend at almost exactly the same rate, so I'm just looking for a straight-up quality comparison.

Locations are actually quite different.
Depends on where you want to be located. The Delta is on the harbour so will have very nice water views and nice areas for walking, i find the rooms a bit nicer but sometimes smaller. Lounge has a patio overlooking the water at Delta so definitely a plus.

There isn't much around so if you want to go to the downtown, dinner etc you will have to walk or take a cab but really isnt that far across the blue bridge to a few nice places.

MArriott is a few blocks inland and only a few rooms will glimpse the water but a little closer to a few of the attractions.

excellent staff at both, but i prefer Delta for the views.

The smallest state Jun 20, 2017 3:25 pm

Just stayed at the Victoria Marriott. What a great experience.

- great benefits to Marriott members, upgraded room as a matter of course, balcony, high floor. The executive lounge was closed from Friday am to Sunday pm. They gave me breakfast or 1000 pts per night, they allowed me to go into the fridge in the little shop and pull out a juice or soda when I needed.

- great location, close to downtown, shopping, tourist attractions, close to inner harbor and US Ferries to Port Angeles and Seattle

- great restaurant with reasonable prices

- friendly staff

The staff really went out of their way to acknowledge and promote the Marriot Rewards program. I had a fantastic stay in a great weekend getaway.

I did not go to the Delta but saw it across the Harbor, the view would be fantastic, but didn't see balconies.

SkiAdcock Jun 20, 2017 6:03 pm

Thanks for the update. Did you take the breakfast? Was it cont'l or full?

Cheers.

bostonbali Jan 7, 2018 2:03 pm

So is the verdict that the Marriott takes better care of Platinums?
Also trying to decide between the two locations, both cost the same # of points (35K night for a non-view room, hoping for a view upgrade as a Plat).

Also, do both hotels close the lounge on weekends, or does one of the keep it open Fri-Sun?

Thanks,
Bostonbali

Slatco Jan 7, 2018 6:08 pm

We stayed at the Delta in September and it was exceptional. Platinum recognition. Upgraded room. Amazing view of the harbor. Excellent club lounge. Highly recommended.

s0ssos Jan 7, 2018 6:18 pm

Stayed at Delta 2 Novembers ago, wasn't great. Front desk staff were somewhat clueless about late checkout (it was complicated. I was offered at check-in, declined, but later thought better to have it and asked for it, when I was told they would have to "check"). Lounge is simple affair with some hot food which wasn't bad.

Don't think service was great, given this is Canada (comparing to Vancouver) and people in general are friendlier than in the US.

NeGourmand May 26, 2018 10:16 pm

Originally Posted by bostonbali (Post 29262470)
So is the verdict that the Marriott takes better care of Platinums?
Also trying to decide between the two locations, both cost the same # of points (35K night for a non-view room, hoping for a view upgrade as a Plat).

Also, do both hotels close the lounge on weekends, or does one of the keep it open Fri-Sun?

Thanks,
Bostonbali

Which did you choose? I have both booked now for next month and am having trouble deciding. Just have gold though. Curious about your experience with the lounge wherever you stayed.

bostonbali May 27, 2018 8:29 am

have chosen the Delta, but did not stay there yet, will be doing so in a couple of weeks.
we can report back after our stay.

mahasamatman May 27, 2018 9:42 am

I can't comment on the Marriott, but we enjoyed our stay at the Delta last year. Easy transportation using the water taxi straight from the seaplane base to the hotel, and a short walk to anywhere.

cdoobiest Aug 29, 2018 8:19 pm

Just completed 4 day stay at Delta Vic. Great hotel, was gold status and upgraded to Club Floor with lounge access. 6th floor had guest patio to use plus club lounge had nice outside patio as well. Breakfast in club was great but the same every day. Bacon, eggs, hash browns, fruit, oatmeal, pastries. Appetizer hours alway had cheese, pita bread, hummus, fruit, tortilla chips, veggies and 3 hot appetizers which did change every night. They were all very good. Usually one seafood based (scallops wrapped bacon, coconut shrimp), one veggie one (spring roll, samosa) and one meat (meatballs, chicken skewer).

It was good 10-15 min walk to downtown but there is free shuttle to anywhere downtown victoria and back which we utilized a lot. The drivers were great and saved us a lot of walking and taxis. Views were great and quiet hotel. We had family who stayed downtown Vic at Best Western who we met up with every day and that was nice because if you wanted some cheap eats or go shopping you are right there. So I guess it depends if you want great club and relaxation or shopping and dining a few steps away from you. The Delta pool area was also very big with hot tub and they had full gym with stretching area, free and machine weights, tennis and squash. It felt like a true resort.

joeags Aug 30, 2018 12:25 am

I probably saw you at some point, as we just completed a 6 day stay. Breakfast in the lounge got old as they didn't even trade out bacon for sausage or different types of potatoes, and my son was bummed that they only had Special K and raisin bran available! App hours were nice, running until 7:30pm. Very few indoor tables (4) with a couple sofa locations, lots of seating outside.

We absolutely loved the location overlooking the harbor and watching the seaplanes and boats and lit up town at night. Downtown was an easy walk for us - we learned of the shuttle the last day, but it didn't matter

Parking fee wasn't waived for us at $20 per night self park.

Bigshaker Aug 30, 2018 12:48 am

Originally Posted by scotchmeup (Post 27934423)
Locations are actually quite different.
Depends on where you want to be located. The Delta is on the harbour so will have very nice water views and nice areas for walking, i find the rooms a bit nicer but sometimes smaller. Lounge has a patio overlooking the water at Delta so definitely a plus.

There isn't much around so if you want to go to the downtown, dinner etc you will have to walk or take a cab but really isnt that far across the blue bridge to a few nice places.

MArriott is a few blocks inland and only a few rooms will glimpse the water but a little closer to a few of the attractions.

excellent staff at both, but i prefer Delta for the views.

The Delta for the views and the experience of seeing Victoria from the hotel is far superior. However, if you are there only going walking siteseeing, then the Marriott is a much better location. You can’t really walk comfortably from the Delta to the Empress will take 20 min but they might have a water taxi I don’t remember that part.
If more luxurious and evenings at the hotel restaurant/bar is the main part then The Delta, if siteseeing and walking and dining out is the main part then the Marriott.

Melodsal Jun 30, 2019 3:03 am

Was looking at using a SNA for Delta Victoria but the only option is to a laughable Deluxe water view room. Based on that I’m probably staying at the Marriott instead.