Renaissance LAX [Master Thread]

Old Feb 11, 17, 2:01 am
Original Poster

Programs: Marriott Gold (1st choice) BW Diamond (2nd)
Renaissance LAX [Master Thread]

Going to LA for 3 days at the end of the month from Feb 24-27. Im torn between the Renaissance LAX with a rate of 110 a night for a 2 double bed. Also found a 2Queen suite at the BW Royal palace suites which looks decent and closer to West Hollywood/santa monica for only 100 bucks a night. Im wondering if its worth staying a bit further and make it worth it. Im specially interested in upgrades and offerings at the louge. Its weekend so i dont know if its even open. Im greatly taking into consideration the double points promo as well and know marriott points are worth alot more than BW. Any input/ recent experiences would be nice. Thanks

BW: Total with taxes $347.
Renaissance LAX: $411
The Westin LAX: $375

PS. Ill be ubering or taking public transportation.
Also have not looked into SPG properties

Last edited by jm1991; Feb 11, 17 at 2:26 am
Old Feb 11, 17, 4:15 am

Programs: DL:PM, Marriott:P/LTP, Hilton:G, NatCar:EE+, Hertz:PC
As a Plat I've been UG'd on both of my recent stays to a rather large room. You walk in, there's a living room area, the bathroom is in the middle and the sleeping area is by the window. I've not been in the lounge. My stays have been on weekends and I don't think the lounge is open. If it is, I didn't go.

Something about both the LAX Ren and FS... the hotels are very soundproof. Despite being across from the airport and being able to watch planes take off and land, you don't hear much noise. In fact, I'm at home right now, about ten miles from ATL, and I hear more plane noise here than when staying at either of those hotels.

With LA, where to stay depends on where you'll be. For me, my cousin lives on that side of LA and I've usually got an early morning flight when leaving, so near the airport makes sense.
Old Feb 11, 17, 4:35 am

Programs: IHG Plat, HH D, UA GS, Perm BonVoyed
My most recent Ren LAX visit was September 2015. Lounge was excellent, decent sized and ample food (both quality and quantity).

Pool area seems small (compared to the full Marriott across the way).
Old Feb 11, 17, 5:41 am

You listed the LAX Westin, which has become my go-to hotel when I have a morning flight out of LAX. Stayed there three weeks ago.

I've never had a single issue there. Staff is helpful. Rooms are clean. Place is in excellent shape. There's a Daily Grill downstairs. Lounge is nice. Love the views of the runway. Often get upgraded, as I'm SPG gold. Your Marriott gold might get you upgraded, as well.

Windows and walls are soundproofed, so there's no airport noise. But with any LAX airport hotel, you do have people on your floor checking in and out at all hours.
Old Feb 11, 17, 7:43 am

Programs: MR LT(!)TE, DL DM->PM MM, HTZ PC, 2V Fanboi, CBP GE, Uber Gold
In my last experiences, I'd say the Ren lounge is nicer by a bit than the Westin lounge, but maybe the Westin lounge has improved recently? My recollection is that the Ren follows standard weekend lounge hours, though (ie: closed until Sunday night). Breakfast in the restaurant was pretty good.
Old Feb 11, 17, 9:18 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UALifetimePremierGold, Marriott LifetimeTitanium
Originally Posted by jm1991 View Post
Going to LA for 3 days at the end of the month from Feb 24-27. Im torn between the Renaissance LAX with a rate of 110 a night for a 2 double bed. Also found a 2Queen suite at the BW Royal palace suites which looks decent and closer to West Hollywood/santa monica for only 100 bucks a night. Im wondering if its worth staying a bit further and make it worth it. Im specially interested in upgrades and offerings at the louge. Its weekend so i dont know if its even open. Im greatly taking into consideration the double points promo as well and know marriott points are worth alot more than BW. Any input/ recent experiences would be nice. Thanks

BW: Total with taxes $347.
Renaissance LAX: $411
The Westin LAX: $375

PS. Ill be ubering or taking public transportation.
Also have not looked into SPG properties
Where are you going to be spending most of your time? If you're going to be in SM/WH but you're staying at LAX your Uber costs will be higher to get to/from where you want to be.

Cheers.
Old Nov 27, 18, 11:01 am

Programs: Marriott LT Titanium, Mileage Plus Plat, Global Entry
I know this is an old thread, but we just spent two one night stays here and I thought I would provide an update.

Burned SNAs and got upgraded to Executive Suites on both stays. As described upthread, the sitting area and the bedroom are separated by the bathroom, and there is no door between them.

Also, as mentioned upthread, the food choices in the lounge were outstanding. Evening offerings were a soft taco bar one of the nights, bbq chicken and rice the other. Both nights included a very nice salad selection.

I also liked that it was only about a 15 minute walk to the rental car location.

Our only real disappointment was the suite had a tub/shower as opposed to a walk-in shower stall.

Overall, it was pretty nice. We would definitely stay there again.
Old Nov 27, 18, 12:29 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UALifetimePremierGold, Marriott LifetimeTitanium
Thanks for the update. Much appreciated.

Cheers.
Old Nov 27, 18, 7:58 pm

Originally Posted by Michilander View Post
I know this is an old thread, but we just spent two one night stays here and I thought I would provide an update.

Burned SNAs and got upgraded to Executive Suites on both stays. As described upthread, the sitting area and the bedroom are separated by the bathroom, and there is no door between them.

Also, as mentioned upthread, the food choices in the lounge were outstanding. Evening offerings were a soft taco bar one of the nights, bbq chicken and rice the other. Both nights included a very nice salad selection.

I also liked that it was only about a 15 minute walk to the rental car location.

Our only real disappointment was the suite had a tub/shower as opposed to a walk-in shower stall.

Overall, it was pretty nice. We would definitely stay there again.
Thanks for the DP! Really good to know that the LAX Renaissance had substantial food selections in the lounge. The LAX Sheraton Gateway was nice, but lacked meat/protein at both breakfast/evening in the lounge.
Old Apr 8, 19, 5:28 pm

Programs: UA GS4MM, MR LT Plat, Hilton Gold
About to wrap up a 5 night stay.

Booked regular King Room - received Club Room King 11th Floor (top floor) - for 5 nights was not expecting a suite. I would describe the room as decent sized/large compared to most hotel King rooms - appears to be recently remodeled or holding up well - view is nothing to write home about (mostly rental car lots and a runway in the distance). It is very soundproof and much quieter than the Sheraton Gateway. Very large LG TV - definitely bigger than most hotel TV's. My only gripe - very low water pressure in shower. Put Do Not Disturb out and they didn't come back for later housekeeper unless I specifically asked (did via App and worked well). Has fridge in room - only 1 bottle of free water, rest were $5 each. Bottom line, it is a very nice room.

Bar/Restaurant - In my opinion, the Bar/Restaurant is definitely above average compared to most Sheraton's and liked it better than the crowded bar at the Marriott down the street - there was live music Saturday night. Tried several items on the menu - and all above average. Wine is pricey - generally $14 for 6oz pour - and correspondingly higher for 9 oz pour. You will not leave the restaurant hungry.

Lounge. Lounge is on 11th Floor. It's ok - not great and not bad. I don't agree on substantial food offerings unless a lot of salad is your thing. Evening, 1 hot item which tasted "ok" and the usual cheese/crackers, salad, etc. Decent sized crowd in the evening. For Breakfast - again, a bit crowded. There are scrambled eggs (and you better like them runny - the bottom of the pan was just liquid egg - they really needed to be cooked longer) decent sausage and ok potato. Had all the other regular continental stuff. In the evening, they do have a full service bar which goes until late in the evening - not cheap, but a little cheaper than bar downstairs. Dessert starts about 7:30 - I don't eat dessert, but a lot of items out. Walkable to Four Points, Embassy Suites, and Marriott.

I'd stay here again but prefer Sheraton Gateway at same rate as suite upgrades more common at that property - in my opinion.
Old Apr 8, 19, 9:14 pm
Moderator: Alaska Mileage Plan

Originally Posted by HNLbasedFlyer View Post
I'd stay here again but prefer Sheraton Gateway at same rate as suite upgrades more common at that property - in my opinion.
Which lounge do you prefer?
Old Apr 8, 19, 10:16 pm

Originally Posted by dayone View Post
Which lounge do you prefer?
I'd give the preference to the Renaissance - better food (tonight they had fajitas - and it was "ok") - it is nice having a full bar in the lounge at the Renaissance with albeit a small discount over the bar downstairs. If you are salad lover - you definitely love the Renaissance, saw more than a few people load up plates and the bartender wrapped it up in plastic wrap - I'm not a huge salad person. Gateway does mini sandwiches which worked for me but no bar.

I do wish they cooked the scrambled eggs longer at the Renaissance but at least it was hot food.
Old Apr 8, 19, 10:26 pm
Hilton Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: HH Diamond, Marriott LTPP/Platinum Premier, Hyatt Lame-ist, UA !K
I do wish they cooked the scrambled eggs longer at the Renaissance but at least it was hot food.
Did you ask about the "doneness" of the scrambled eggs to the CL staff? My most soggiest/least doneness experience with scrambled eggs has been the Marriott Park Lane in London - so is it a function of how long in advance the eggs were prepared and how much more done the kitchen estimates they'll get sitting on the hot plate?

David
Old Apr 8, 19, 10:35 pm

Originally Posted by DELee View Post
Did you ask about the "doneness" of the scrambled eggs to the CL staff?
No, it wasn't exactly like there was a large "staff" - nor did I think I'd get eggs to order the way I want them. And I'm not going to suggest to them they throw out dozens of eggs because they are runny scrambled. Just passing along - the eggs are on the runny scrambled side, that's all.
Old Apr 9, 19, 12:00 am
Hilton Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: HH Diamond, Marriott LTPP/Platinum Premier, Hyatt Lame-ist, UA !K
No, it wasn't exactly like there was a large "staff" - nor did I think I'd get eggs to order the way I want them. And I'm not going to suggest to them they throw out dozens of eggs because they are runny scrambled. Just passing along - the eggs are on the runny scrambled side, that's all.
I wasn't suggesting that you suggest that they throw away a batch of prepared scrambled eggs. I was only asking if you'd discussed it with any of the CL staff as to why the eggs were a bit "soft"/liquid - for any staff that were around. Still good to know about the "doneness" of the scrambled eggs in the CL.

David

Search this Thread
Search Engine: