Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

AC Hotel Portland Downtown, Oregon [Master Thread]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Feb 27, 2017, 8:52 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: SkiAdcock
There is a city-operated Smart Park parking garage directly across the street (though you enter a block west on 4th in between Alder and Yamhill). No in-and-out, but much cheaper than the $40/day valet.
Print Wikipost

AC Hotel Portland Downtown, Oregon [Master Thread]

Search this Thread

Old May 4, 2017, 9:53 am

Programs: AS MVP, AA MM, HH Diamond, MR Gold
Originally Posted by coffee18
Any restaurant recommendations for that area? Going to Portland for the first time-- should I confine my restaurant research for the immediate vicinity or is Portland set up such I can pretty much go anywhere? I have a feeling it's the latter and I shouldn't confine myself to just that area.
I'm not familiar with the immediate vicinity of the new hotel, but several blocks in any direction will bring you to some of our favorites...really like Higgins, Imperial, and the Italian at Pazzo. Never been to Little Bird but have been to its big brother Pigeon. Further afield we like Veritable Quandary. If you want steak we don't really care for the Urban Farmer in the Nines, but you should go for a drink just to see the hotel.

We've had some bad luck with some very aggressive, nasty panhandlers so bring a huge dose of street smarts with you when you visit.
Old May 4, 2017, 9:58 am

Originally Posted by Eujeanie
I'm not familiar with the immediate vicinity of the new hotel, but several blocks in any direction will bring you to some of our favorites...really like Higgins, Imperial, and the Italian at Pazzo. Never been to Little Bird but have been to its big brother Pigeon. Further afield we like Veritable Quandary. If you want steak we don't really care for the Urban Farmer in the Nines, but you should go for a drink just to see the hotel.

We've had some bad luck with some very aggressive, nasty panhandlers so bring a huge dose of street smarts with you when you visit.
So helpful, thanks!
Old May 4, 2017, 2:52 pm
Moderator: Mileage Run, InterContinental Hotels

It would quite frankly be a shame to confine yourself to the immediate vicinity of the hotel. You'd be missing some of the best neighborhoods and restaurants. Portland has a great transit system and is very walkable, so it's easy to get around. I'm happy to give recommendations if you PM me.

As for homeless people and panhandlers, yes, there has been a huge increase in the last few years, but Portland remains very safe by US standards. I walk around without hesitation in any of the areas you might visit as a tourist.
Old Jun 20, 2018, 9:09 pm

Programs: United GS MM, Hilton LT Diamond, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Ambassador
Any recent experiences with this property? I have a trip to Portland planned next month.
Old Jun 21, 2018, 9:42 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: GE, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by JLSocks
Any recent experiences with this property? I have a trip to Portland planned next month.
I was there this past January and I had no complaints. I didn't really spend that much time in the room or hotel, though.
Old Jun 22, 2018, 2:31 pm

Programs: United GS MM, Hilton LT Diamond, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Ambassador
Originally Posted by tmiw
I was there this past January and I had no complaints. I didn't really spend that much time in the room or hotel, though.
Good to know, thanks. What did you think of the bedding comfort? From the pictures, it looks more like Courtyard quality bed/bedding than Marriott bed/bedding.
Old Jun 22, 2018, 6:07 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: GE, Marriott Platinum
Good to know, thanks. What did you think of the bedding comfort? From the pictures, it looks more like Courtyard quality bed/bedding than Marriott bed/bedding.
I thought the comfort was fine, but then again, I'm not too picky or have special requirements.
Old Jun 23, 2018, 12:20 am

Programs: Hyatt Diamond, US Air Gold
Originally Posted by tmiw
I thought the comfort was fine, but then again, I'm not too picky or have special requirements.
have stayed at this property about 5 times. Love the location and the hotel is nice. Trendy rooms. Comfortable beds. Definitely no complaints at all.
Old Jun 23, 2018, 10:34 am

Programs: DL Gold, UA nothing (ex-GS), Marriott lifetime Plat, Hyatt Globalist
It’s a simple hotel with nice decor and a good restaurant and bar but minor benefits. Stay there if you don’t mind the “select service” model.
Old Jun 23, 2018, 10:47 am

Stayed here last year. Very nice hotel and decor. Centrally located in Portland that allows you to walk to the different areas. Didnt get an upgrade as a PM plus no free breakfast. Would stay again however.
Old Dec 14, 2019, 5:41 pm
formerly wchinchen

Programs: AA CK, UA 1K, Hyatt Globalist
Talking

After staying around different Marriott properties around the Portland area (Nines, AC, Hi-Lo, and Waterfront), I continue to split my stay between Nines and AC Hotel. As an Ambassador, I've been upgraded to their highest floor rooms, corner king rooms (the one I would recommend the most), and also stayed at their basic rooms (some may not like their open-ish bathroom concept).

They provide a welcome cava drink coupon, and usually have live music at their bar area. The biggest benefit is that it is right next to Luc Lac (Vietnamese restaurant).

Front staff: Always friendly staff.
Rooms: Typical modern rooms. Avoid the basic rooms with bathroom made out of glass if you want privacy (think, not much sound proofing) if you are sharing with another person.
Breakfast: Buffet spread with fruit, pastries, deli meats, and also different types of quiches. They have an ala carte menu also.
Lounge: None.
Old Feb 28, 2022, 1:48 pm

Programs: AA Plt, Marriott Gold, National EE, Hertz PC, El Mambero De Mucci, PWP Aide to Generalissimo Godot
Stayed here this weekend. Was recognized as a Marriott Silver and was upgraded to a High Floor Corner King Room with a Riverfront View. Very generous upgrade, the room was nice and spacious, the view was spectacular, and it was within walking distance of all the bars on the West Side and even Providence Park if you can handle a NYC-like Walk. I would definitely stay at this location again.
Old Apr 12, 2022, 8:45 pm

Stayed at this property over the weekend. Checking in as Titanium Elite, I inquired about breakfast. The agent informed me about my choices to call for breakfast delivery from another nearby business at our cost. There were zero breakfast options available as a high-level elite member - - which was stunning to me. Our room was as-reserved - nothing more, nothing less. We liked the hydration station in the hallway. We found noise to be an issue on our floor. There was a baseball team staying there at the time, and I think the pitcher was next to us, as there was a ball tossed against the wall with regularity.

Overall, we left with the impression that this was Marriott’s best effort as a “luxury, budget hotel”. It has the feel in some ways of luxury in appearance, but it’s completely and entirely budget in execution. We left feeling like this was a cheap motel with a few nice touches, in the end. Constructive feedback to Marriott: if you don’t even offer morning coffee to your elite stayers, we’ll find other options.

We will not stay at this property again. There are better options, with better service, and with more elite benefits, for a similar rate.

Last edited by BayAreaTrvler; Apr 12, 2022 at 8:54 pm

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.