Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Ovolo Southside, Hong Kong, Design Hotel [Master Thread]

Ovolo Southside, Hong Kong, Design Hotel [Master Thread]

Old Oct 17, 2017, 6:10 pm
Moderator: Mileage Run, InterContinental Hotels

Originally Posted by helvetic
Why don't y'all try the Mira Moon in Wan Chai?
Because it was priced well above my price range for this stay. I've stayed at the Mira Moon once, and although it wasn't bad, during "normal" periods, when it runs ~HKD1800, I'd pick the Hyatt TST instead. The Ovolo obviously isn't an equal to any of these hotels; the point is that it'll often cost 1/4 to 1/3 as much.
Old Oct 17, 2017, 6:46 pm

Programs: Marriott Bonvoy Titanium, BAEC Silver, TK Miles & Smiles Elite
Originally Posted by helvetic
Why don't y'all try the Mira Moon in Wan Chai?
It's usually considerably more expensive than Ovolo Southside isn't it? The usual rate for Ovolo is around HK$1200 IIRC which includes a load of goodies if you book direct (breakfast, minibar with beer, two hours drinks in the evening). It's the cheapest SPG hotel in HK. But not when it starts to fill up and they bump up the price to around HK$2500.
Old Oct 17, 2017, 8:42 pm

So, I just cancelled a stay here based in part on this thread. I found a rate at the Courtyard that was within 20 HKD of what I had booked here. It's a single night stay, really just a long layover. Seems like taking the A12 bus twice t0/from the Courtyard is going to be considerably simpler (and cheaper) than staying here and taking Airport Express and MTR. It's an early morning departure.

Plus the less than stellar reports here really made me rethink the whole idea.
Old Oct 18, 2017, 1:26 am

Originally Posted by 466SHH
So, I just cancelled a stay here based in part on this thread. I found a rate at the Courtyard that was within 20 HKD of what I had booked here. It's a single night stay, really just a long layover. Seems like taking the A12 bus twice t0/from the Courtyard is going to be considerably simpler (and cheaper) than staying here and taking Airport Express and MTR. It's an early morning departure.

Plus the less than stellar reports here really made me rethink the whole idea.
I wouldn't put you off staying here at the right rate if you book direct to get all the goodies (and give them your SPG number to get all the SPG points and nights) but not at the elevated rates I see some weekends.

But for the airport you're right to move to the Courtyard for ease of access if they're similar prices.
Old Oct 18, 2017, 4:44 am

Originally Posted by ftrichard
I wouldn't put you off staying here at the right rate if you book direct to get all the goodies (and give them your SPG number to get all the SPG points and nights) but not at the elevated rates I see some weekends.
How much are these goodies worth to you? I know the breakfast and lounge benefit is sold for HK$98, and the few cans of beer and soft drinks and goodie bag with tiny gummi bears surely can't possibly be worth more than HK$100. There's a 7/11 less than 100ft away, forcryingoutloud!

The only reason to book this hotel is that it can be had on BRG for around HK$500, or booked direct on a non-admissible competing site for HK$650. If you're willing to pay more than that, you'd be well advised to look at the HIX in Soho, Causeway Bay, Mongkok, or even the Hyatt in Sha Tin and the LM (which can be had as low as HK$1200ai). Those are comparable or vastly better hotels in acceptable locations, and they don't treat you like a nobody unless you book an unreasonable rate on their own site.
Old Oct 18, 2017, 4:57 pm

Originally Posted by jpdx
How much are these goodies worth to you? I know the breakfast and lounge benefit is sold for HK$98, and the few cans of beer and soft drinks and goodie bag with tiny gummi bears surely can't possibly be worth more than HK$100. There's a 7/11 less than 100ft away, forcryingoutloud!

The only reason to book this hotel is that it can be had on BRG for around HK$500, or booked direct on a non-admissible competing site for HK$650. If you're willing to pay more than that, you'd be well advised to look at the HIX in Soho, Causeway Bay, Mongkok, or even the Hyatt in Sha Tin and the LM (which can be had as low as HK$1200ai). Those are comparable or vastly better hotels in acceptable locations, and they don't treat you like a nobody unless you book an unreasonable rate on their own site.
Good point, well made. I've not been treated poorly at this hotel and in the first half of the year I would stay here if it's the cheapest SPG and I'm accruing qualifying nights. I'm at 75 nights now so couldn't care less for the remainder. Actually this weekend I'm at the Courtyard for the first time. HK seems to be full this weekend and rates all over are high. At least I get a lounge at the Courtyard - I do value included booze - and can convert the points to SPG. I wouldn't stay at the LM again because of the location. But I will check out the others you mention.

BTW, how do you know they sell the breakfast and lounge benefit for that price? Seems ok when combined with a SPG BRG for HK$500.

Last edited by ftrichard; Oct 18, 2017 at 5:09 pm
Old Oct 20, 2017, 4:36 am

I was offered the HK$98 upcharge for evening happy hour and breakfast at check-in. As you say, if you book a non-qualifying rate at HK$500-650, this upcharge is worth considering. One thing I'm not 100% certain about is whether this offer will continue once the lobby area work has been completed (currently everything -- checkin and breakfast/HH-- takes place on the ground floor, in what feels like a closed-off car park).
Old May 30, 2019, 12:42 pm

Does anyone have any updates on getting benefits (minibar, breakfast, happy hour) when booking through Marriott? I'm considering this hotel for a week on a category 1-4 Travel Package. Seems odd that they would deny benefits on that kind of reservation, but now that I've read the thread I'm not so sure.

Seth
Old May 30, 2019, 6:57 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by sethweinstein
Does anyone have any updates on getting benefits (minibar, breakfast, happy hour) when booking through Marriott? I'm considering this hotel for a week on a category 1-4 Travel Package. Seems odd that they would deny benefits on that kind of reservation, but now that I've read the thread I'm not so sure.

Seth
I haven't stayed here for awhile (about one year), but I had always booked through spg.com before. I think the minibar and goodies bag are free for all guests, regardless of what channel you book through. The free breakfast and happy hour are given to guests who book through ovolo.com only. One time at check-in, the attendant told me that I could book through ovolo.com at any rate above HKD 850, and the hotel would still give me the spg points and free breakfast. Do not know if that is still the case, though; and, I never tried to do so anyway.
Old May 30, 2019, 7:02 pm

Seth
Check what is included in the room rate on the app when booking through Marriott. That's what you'll get by booking through Marriott's reservation system. They may well still offer you all the goodies (breakfast, minibar, happy hour) on a Marriott reservation the first time you stay but who knows if they will do that for a redemption rather than cash booking. I booked on the app first time and got the goodies but all my subsequent reservations have been made by email directly with the hotel and there's been no problem getting the goodies and points and nights credited as normal. It just doesn't appear in my list of upcoming reservations on the Marriott app. But you shouldn't expect to get anything else if it's not detailed in your Marriott reservation. It's not odd. It's just a different booking channel for an independent hotel that uses Design Hotels and Marriott as booking channels with different T&Cs. Nobody thinks Virtuoso bookings that include extra benefits is odd. Neither is this.

You can always email them to confirm/clarify. I have two email addresses that I'll DM you. I'm not sure that it's the best use of a Travel Package given that the cash rate can be less than HK$1000 and it can be BRG'd for ~HK$500 according to some. I'd highly recommend the Courtyard Sha Tin with its large breakfast buffet and lounge benefits. It's a Cat 2 but rates go up from HK$1200 and hit HK$2000 when it's busy so it may be a better option in HK if you're not going to get breakfast and booze at the Ovolo for a points redemption. People here will howl about the Courtyard's location and urge you to stay at the JW, W, Ritz Carlton, Peninsular etc. without reading the bit in your OP about the Cat 4 redemption or considering budget but many find the Courtyard convenient for the airport (direct bus), it's on the MTR so check the MTR app to decide for yourself if the travel times are acceptable rather than succumbing to peer pressure and staying exclusively in Kowloon or above Pacific Place, and it's a decent hotel with some nice local dining options nearby (check the Korean barbecue by the MTR station). I am a fan of Ovolo Southside but I wouldn't redeem points at Ovolo but I have for the Courtyard Sha Tin.
Old May 30, 2019, 8:51 pm

Wow, thank you both for the detailed information. The app doesn't mention the goodies, so I'll ask via e-mail. But Sha Tin may be more convenient anyway, since my friend (who works close to the border with Shenzhen) will be staying with me. The Courtyard's room ("Deluxe King") may be bigger as well (the Ovolo gives a "Mini Double" on points). The Ovolo looks like a more-fun hotel, though; I don't really need the freebies (the breakfast doesn't excite me and the others are nice but not essential). Both are equally convenient to things; I go to Hong Kong a couple times a year so I'm not worried about the location (though the third option, Le Meridien Cyberport, seems quite far out of the way). Realistically this is the right trip for me to use the certificate; I'm satisfied getting any decent hotel and I'm not concerned with squeezing every last point out of it. (The cash rates for my dates are showing as HK$791 per night for the Courtyard and $932 for the Ovolo.)

I'm only Marriott Gold via the old SPG card. As I understand, that doesn't give me breakfast or lounge access at the Courtyard, correct?

Seth
Old May 30, 2019, 9:25 pm

Afaik, with Gold status, you won't be getting lounge access or anything major. IMO, for anyone with Plat+ status, it'd be foolish to burn a Cat 1-4 cert at Ovolo or CY ST. Le Meridien is a much better hotel, with very good benefits (breakfast, evening drinks/snacks in the bar, upgrades to rooms with great views). People are turned off by the location, but quite frankly the minibuses are a great way for getting around (58 to Kennedy Town, 69X to Causeway Bay), and there's also the hourly hotel shuttle and regular buses (to Central, Stanley, Kowloon). Of course as you say, Seth, if you need to be close to Shenzhen, you wouldn't want to stay on HK Island.

I'm not sure what makes the Ovolo "fun" -- it certainly is a younger crowd, who hangs out in the public spaces. The rooftop bar is nice, but too often closed due too private events. Rooms are tiny, and you will very likely not get an upgrade even to the side with better views. The room you're likely to find yourself in overlooks a freeway that's in a "valley" between tall buildings, and because the Ovolo's soundproofing is extremely poor, the noise in the room is deafening. I've had some of the worst sleep of my life here.

Frankly, I have no idea why anyone would stay here (because there are so many better options in their usual price range of HKD1000-1200), but they do have good reviews on TA. Even if you have money to burn, DO NOT book through Marriott. Any number of European and Middle Eastern OTAs have rates in the HKD600-700 (all-in) range, and you don't get benefits for booking on Marriott. The minibar and grab bag with snacks is now free for everyone regardless of booking channel (we're talking about maybe HKD50 worth of stuff, btw), and you won't get breakfast unless your rate includes it. (Regarding ftrichard's note about BRG, Design Hotels are now no longer covered by the BRG, so those HKD450-500 rates are a thing of the past. But booking via OTA still allows 30%-ish savings compared to Marriott or the hotel's own site).
Old Jun 6, 2019, 3:52 pm

Thanks for your insight as well. I did write to the Ovolo and they responded that they would still extend the freebies to first-time Bonvoy-booked guests, which I think is a very nice gesture (and, as you implied, doesn't cost them much). Your points regarding the rooms on the "wrong" side are well taken.

Ultimately I asked my Hong Kong friend who'll be staying with me, and she said the Courtyard was good and much more convenient for her to get to work, so we'll probably stay there this time. Perhaps I'll check out the Ovolo on a future trip if I can find a room on the "right" side at a good rate. I like exploring different areas.

Seth
Tokyoite likes this.
Old Jun 6, 2019, 7:17 pm
Marriott 5+ BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP; Marriott Amb; Hyatt Globalist; Shangri-la Diamond; IHG SpireAmb; Hilton D; Accor G
Thanks for your insight as well. I did write to the Ovolo and they responded that they would still extend the freebies to first-time Bonvoy-booked guests, which I think is a very nice gesture (and, as you implied, doesn't cost them much). Your points regarding the rooms on the "wrong" side are well taken.

Ultimately I asked my Hong Kong friend who'll be staying with me, and she said the Courtyard was good and much more convenient for her to get to work, so we'll probably stay there this time. Perhaps I'll check out the Ovolo on a future trip if I can find a room on the "right" side at a good rate. I like exploring different areas.

Seth
Now that the Marriott Ocean Park is open, I think it rarely makes sense to stay at the Ovolo. I like the rooftop bar but the Marriott is much better value at a not massive premium. I didn't really like the courtyard when I stayed. It was fine but not particularly nice or convenient.
Old Jun 23, 2019, 4:20 am
Marriott 5+ BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP; Marriott Amb; Hyatt Globalist; Shangri-la Diamond; IHG SpireAmb; Hilton D; Accor G
Correction: I just stayed at the Ovolo Southside and was treated fantastic. I love both the Ocean Park Marriott and the Ovolo and will likely continue to stay at both depending on my mood. They're very different hotels, and I like them for different reasons.

When you spend as much time in hotels as I do (100% of the time), there comes a point where free breakfast and HH aren't actually that valuable. I tend to overuse them… eat too much, drink too much, and feel generally unhealthy stuffing myself with mediocre food. At the Ovolo, there's none of that. Yeah there's supposedly free breakfast and HH, though I haven't attended and not sure if they'd give it to me on a Bonvoy rate. The a-la-carte food there however is far better and cheaper than the equivalent at the Marriott. Komune and Above are great, whereas the Marriott's F&B are much more mediocre. There's also a free coin laundry onsite which I find super convenient.

They upgraded me to a corner deluxe room which I appreciated the design of. It was smaller than the club room I got at the Marriott, but it had enough room and all the basics. My main issue was the smallish bathroom. The location is totally fine and it's quite easy to get to Central via MTR (except when they close Admiralty due to protests). Staff is nice. Design of the hotel is great.
lsquare, jonisflying and ftrichard like this.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.