Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Hotel Stripes Kuala Lumpur, Autograph Collection - Malaysia [Master Thread]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Hotel Stripes Kuala Lumpur, Autograph Collection - Malaysia [Master Thread]

Search this Thread

Old Feb 21, 2017, 7:31 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Some of this 'n some of that
Originally Posted by fluffydot
Thanks for the great TR. I am booked for a 3 night stay in March and will definitely need to adjust my expectations lower now. I initially booked this property over the Ren because I prefer a more modern feel and the rate is much lower.

What else is in the immediate vicinity of the hotel (besides the street food)? Is there a decent variety of (local or international) food / coffee / bars?

The pool area looks pretty nice to chill in, but I see some scaffolding on the side, is there still construction going on in parts of the hotel?
There's lots of local stuff but on the street just to the west of the Sheraton there is a 100m stretch of newly renovated old Peranakan style building with restos/cafes and bars (Jln Doraisamy).

This pic is from the Sheraton lounge, about a week earlier, and you can see the construction nest door to the south. There is a well reviewed local resto tucked in just to the south of that called
We did not eat there however.

There's also a mall across the Jln Sultan Ismail called Quill City. I believe it's an Aeon mall. Again, I have no personal information on the mall itself.

Edit: I hadn't intended on imbedding the google map, simply to link to the review page. Alas, the info is there, albeit cluttered.

Last edited by dsquared37; Feb 21, 2017 at 7:37 pm
Old Feb 25, 2017, 12:30 am

Programs: UA plat, , aa plat, marriott LT titanium
Very helpful - thanks from me also since I'm in the process of deciding about a stay in March. I presume no executive lounge?
How about noise from the construction ?next door.
Old Feb 25, 2017, 12:48 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by estnet
Very helpful - thanks from me also since I'm in the process of deciding about a stay in March. I presume no executive lounge?
How about noise from the construction ?next door.
We headed back to the airport at 8:30AM so I have no info on construction noise.

As for the lounge, I do not believe there is one.
Old Feb 25, 2017, 1:22 am

That's disappointing. I have a 4-night stay here in a couple weeks...and the Ren is showing lower rates now.
Old Mar 1, 2017, 11:35 pm

Programs: Marriott Bonvoy Titanium, BAEC Silver, TK Miles & Smiles Elite
You do know that The Majestic hotel has also just joined Autograph Collection and it has a lounge and does suite upgrades. Also, a better location. Kind of. I mean, both these hotels are not convenient. But we just had a night at the Majestic in a suite with two hours of Mojitos for about RM400++ for the night. A bargain frankly.

I watched the Hotel Strips being built by YTL from the lounge at the Sheraton. Don't know what the room rates are but it'd have to be cheap given that the Sheraton can be had for RM300 a night usually with lounge access for status holders and of course the Renaissance is just down the road (although disgracefully they serve blended ethanol in the lounge instead of genuine spirits - this flavoured industrial alcohol can kill you).
Old Mar 2, 2017, 7:03 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by ftrichard
You do know that The Majestic hotel has also just joined Autograph Collection and it has a lounge and does suite upgrades. Also, a better location. Kind of. I mean, both these hotels are not convenient. But we just had a night at the Majestic in a suite with two hours of Mojitos for about RM400++ for the night. A bargain frankly.

I watched the Hotel Strips being built by YTL from the lounge at the Sheraton. Don't know what the room rates are but it'd have to be cheap given that the Sheraton can be had for RM300 a night usually with lounge access for status holders and of course the Renaissance is just down the road (although disgracefully they serve blended ethanol in the lounge instead of genuine spirits - this flavoured industrial alcohol can kill you).
Hotel Stripes had an initial offering of 285++ MYR totally 323 (IIRC). Interestingly, when I made the prepay res it was billed as The Majestic Hotel so I'm guessing the two properties are owned by the same company.
Old Mar 5, 2017, 6:40 pm

Programs: Marriott Bonvoy Titanium, BAEC Silver, TK Miles & Smiles Elite
Originally Posted by dsquared37
Hotel Stripes had an initial offering of 285++ MYR totally 323 (IIRC). Interestingly, when I made the prepay res it was billed as The Majestic Hotel so I'm guessing the two properties are owned by the same company.
They are both owned and managed by the Malaysian conglomerate YTL which also owns the JW and RC in KL (as well as numerous unaffiliated high-end hotels in Malaysia and abroad). They are inconsistent with their branding and affiliation (The Majestic KL was a Leading Hotels of the World until recently and The Majestic Malacca has no brand affiliation) so I guess they only affiliate hotels with Marriott brands when they feel they would otherwise struggle to fill them. I'm sure Marriott would be quite happy to have the entire portfolio.
Old Apr 12, 2017, 10:54 pm

I am at hotel stripes now. I have 3 1 night stays over the next 3 days. Dsquared already covered it well so I will only add a few points.

The hotel is north of the golden triangle area, not very far but with KL's traffic and roads it can still take a good 15 mins by car. The area has a lot of construction going on. I think it will be a lot nicer in a couple of years but it's not too great at the moment.

Check in took a while, the attendent seemed new, he was trying hard but seemed to be nervous and fumbling. They didn't seem to recognise I was a gold member until I enquired about the benefits. This was when they went and got the rooms manager to come and greet me. Initially I was told I was in the deluxe room but when they realised I was a gold member they told me I had been upgraded to an executive deluxe. Not sure what room I got but there was a welcome card with my name and a jar of small buscuits in it.
My only problem with the room was the bricked off view.

The breakfast area acts as a lounge from 11am to 7pm. It seems to be open to all guests, not just elite members, no questioning of room number. Sandwiches, drinks and salads are available. No alcohol.

The gym and pool area also have water bottles now so that is an improvement.

There is a door that says platinum on it in the breakfast lounge area. I am still a gold member though.
Old Apr 12, 2017, 11:48 pm

Programs: DL:MM, Marriott:LTT
Originally Posted by ftrichard
I was blown away by the Majestic. I was upgraded to a very large two room corner suite on a high floor with a large bathroom with soaking tub. The staff could not have been any better. A front desk clerk gave me a tour of the hotel, which is beautiful. The lounge is nice, although you don't take food from a buffet, you order either sandwiches or a hot finger food plate. I ordered the finger food plate but was brought the sandwiches due, likely, to a slight language barrier. I just went with it. I did breakfast in the restaurant, which was awesome.

While the location is a little inconvenient, you can walk to Chinatown. What is good about the location is you can take the cheap, easy, quick express train from/to the airport and catch the free shuttle from/to Sentral Station, making it an easy to/from the airport.

I previously stayed at the Ren which is a great hotel, but the Majestic will be my go-to from now on. How lucky to have such good choices.
Old Jun 29, 2017, 6:27 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I went back.

With a late arrival, solo trip, 239++MYR, 1K pts bonus, knocking an AU off my Megabonus.... I bit.

And I was impressed with the improvement on the service.

There was a box containing a (poundcake) cup cake with a strawberry atop waiting in the room.

I was given the same room type, Executive Studio, this time looking at KL Tower and the brick facade was broken up with several fixed shutters allowing a view.

Breakfast quality was better including some nice lamb sausages. The cook broke both yokes on my sunnyside up order and simply told me he'd like to cook them anew. ^

Cereal is no longer prominent, pastry options increased (I didn't have any) coffee drinks order-able.

The Snug, I'm still uncomfortable using that word as a noun, is also a 'lounge' from 10:30AM-7PM, with everything in the fridge, sandwiches and salads and fruit, available during the day. From 5-7 there is apparently wine and beer on offer.

Staff was very knowledgeable and interested. The Guest Services Manager, previously from JW Marriott introduced himself and was interested to gather information. I was impressed.

It won't be my go-to hotel in KL, but they've upped their game. And that's never a bad thing.
Old Jun 29, 2017, 8:31 am

Programs: DL:MM, Marriott:LTT
Originally Posted by dsquared37
It won't be my go-to hotel in KL, but they've upped their game. And that's never a bad thing.
Curious, what will be? And thanks for the update. BTW, I like the Ren, but changed my top preference to the Majestic.
Old Jun 30, 2017, 7:52 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by CJKatl
Curious, what will be? And thanks for the update. BTW, I like the Ren, but changed my top preference to the Majestic.
I do like the LM quite a bit. GH can be great value on P&C. DT and Hilton PJ can be good and cheap ways of hitting promos.... Prices are generally cheap and a stay can be tailored to needs.

I haven't been to the Majestic yet but reviews seem to be uniformly good so will stay there one of these days.
Old Jul 1, 2017, 8:36 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UAMP S, TK M&S E (*G), Marriott LTP, IHG P, SK EBG
Stayed at KL LM and DT last trip:

The KL LM is amazing, the lounge was nice, very good quality food - new GM was amazing. The restaurant breakfast was not as nice as the REN but the lounge one was certainly better.

DT feels cheap compared to LM (and it should because they are different class hotels but the DT feels like going downhill - we didn't get a room with the right bed type the first night as Diamond and the chocolate cookies was like 2/3 of the size of those in BKK DT) - the lounge is great if you like alcohol, breakfast at the restaurant - first I was amazed by the choice but the quality of it were just meh. The noodle stand served extremely spicy noodles and watermelon were always out. Fortunately I found tea leaf eggs in the hidden Chinese section which was my main food for breakfast.
Old Jul 1, 2017, 10:53 am
Suspended

Programs: Delta Diamond, Marriott Ambassador & Lifetime Titanium, Hertz President's Circle, United Silver
So where do I stay? I will be in K.L. for 3 1/2 weeks at the end of August through September. I may take a couple days off and go to Georgetown, Malaysia, or jetset to Cambodia or Burma.

Otherwise, I'll be in K.L. I have meetings until about 10 a.m. and then again from 4-7 p.m. I'm hoping to get some sun during the day and be by a pool. Besides having a pool that gets good sun, the most important aspects for me are a decent breakfast and 1-2 complimentary drinks at night. I'm not adventurous when it comes to food and prefer Western food.

For what it's worth, I have platinum status, enough points for a couple weeks of free nights, and several free Marriott and Ritz-Carlton nights from credit cards.
Old Dec 9, 2018, 6:31 pm

Wow... it looks like the Stripes lounge/breakfast is terrible? I prefer Malaysian food, and the pics/report was totally underwhelming? Does anyone have better recommendations for good food (ethnic food) with Marriott/SPG hotels in KL? Also Marriott Plat Premier, so expecting to get lounge access.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.