Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

The Laylow, Autograph Collection -- Honolulu/Waikiki, Hawaii [Master Thread]

The Laylow, Autograph Collection -- Honolulu/Waikiki, Hawaii [Master Thread]

Hide Wikipost
Old Oct 27, 18, 8:12 am   -   Wikipost
Please read: This is a community-maintained wiki post containing the most important information from this thread. You may edit the Wiki once you have been on FT for 90 days and have made 90 posts.

Last edit by: margarita girl
Wiki Link
Hotel email address: [email protected]

The property now provides $15/person credit in the restaurant, which will basically cover cereal & coffee.

Per Flyman:

They don't have the Executive Lounge while they have Executive Level rooms. What they have is an office-style galley on near the elevators on the Executive Level (15/16th floor) where you'll find coffee machine (powdered, not real milk), filtered room-temp water, whole fruit, and snack. In the mornings, they place ONE type of pastry (muffin/donut) and 1 type of juice - their version of continental breakfast. Plat/Gold can get to those floors (if your room is not on the Exec Level) by swiping your room key in the elevator.

The bar has happy hours everyday (4:30-6:30p), and seems to be popular with non-hotel guests as well.

Caution: make sure you get the room type you booked. FDM says there are errors between what Marriott shows for room types and what the hotel actually has.

TIP: From guest room elevator, don't take the elevator to the floor that says 'retail' it's not the ground and is currently a hallway with linens and storage, no way to exit to street. To exit the hotel go to lobby level (2nd) then take escalator to street.

TIP: Kona Coffee Purveyors is a great spot for coffee and pastries (sweet & savory). Exit the hotel and turn right. Just a few doors down, in front of the International Marketplace.

This email should work for contacting the hotel/requests:

[email protected]
Print Wikipost

Old May 10, 17, 9:22 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend
Original Poster

Programs: UALifetimePremierGold, Marriott LifetimeTitanium
If someone stays at the property, please find out exactly what the resort fee covers & post so others will know. We can add the info to the wiki. Thx!

Cheers.
Old May 10, 17, 9:33 am

Programs: AA, Marriott
Originally Posted by edgewood49 View Post
I have seen this with the reflag at the Courtyard in Honolulu and Kona.
At least the Courtyard in Honolulu doesn't charge a resort fee, and parking was included in my rate the last time I was there a few years ago. The property was in need of refurbishment, but I've heard that the property while not perfect is much better than what it used to be after the recent remodel.

With the full service Marriott, at least the resort fee includes - as of January - one breakfast voucher for Platinums per day of stay, a Mai Tai at the poolside bar, Internet access (which most of us here would get anyway), and activities (which I never seem to do).

Among the choices, it might make more sense now to head across the street to one of the Starwood properties right along the beach.
Old May 10, 17, 11:01 am
Suspended

Programs: Delta Diamond, Marriott Ambassador & Lifetime Titanium, Hertz President's Circle, United Silver
If I could weigh in. This property is a reflag and most likely trying to "find it's way" shorthand for let's see what's the minimum we can get away with.
From what I could tell it seems like to was more a rebuild than a reflag, as the hotel is drastically different than before. It also looks like, based on a Google search of the hotel management, that the management is new too. In fact, the LinkedIn profile for the general manager indicates that he has previous Ritz-Carlton management experience.

Originally Posted by Majuki View Post
With the full service Marriott, at least the resort fee includes - as of January - one breakfast voucher for Platinums per day of stay, a Mai Tai at the poolside bar, Internet access (which most of us here would get anyway), and activities (which I never seem to do).
I was last in Hawaii in August/September 2015. I didn't stay at the Marriott because the consensus among forums and review blogs was that the property was tired and the perks/benefits given to platinum status guests wasn't worth it. Plus, if I'm recalling correctly, the Marriott isn't actually on the beach.

Among the choices, it might make more sense now to head across the street to one of the Starwood properties right along the beach.
I agree. It seems the best choice as a Marriott and SPG platinum is the Moana Surfrider, based on its excellent morning breakfast experience and wonderful lounge.
Old May 10, 17, 11:08 am

Programs: AS Million Mile Flyer, Marriott LTPP
Originally Posted by hockeyinsider View Post
From what I could tell it seems like to was more a rebuild than a reflag, as the hotel is drastically different than before. It also looks like, based on a Google search of the hotel management, that the management is new too. In fact, the LinkedIn profile for the general manager indicates that he has previous Ritz-Carlton management experience.

I was last in Hawaii in August/September 2015. I didn't stay at the Marriott because the consensus among forums and review blogs was that the property was tired and the perks/benefits given to platinum status guests wasn't worth it. Plus, if I'm recalling correctly, the Marriott isn't actually on the beach.

the original property catered to Asian budget travelers I agree with go across the street to Starwood/Marriott

I agree. It seems the best choice as a Marriott and SPG platinum is the Moana Surfrider, based on its excellent morning breakfast experience and wonderful lounge.
Old May 10, 17, 12:12 pm

Programs: AA, Marriott
The original property catered to Asian budget travelers. I agree with go across the street to Starwood/Marriott
You're referring to the Aqua Waikiki Wave, not the full service Marriott, right?

Absent a resort fee I would say that the Laylow would be a viable alternative to the Courtyard and Marriott. Among the three Marriott properties in Waikiki, it's difficult to see any one coming out ahead since each one has its drawbacks:

1) Laylow - complete remodel but no lounge - I seem to remember a lounge was implied - and has resort fee - initial reports were that the resort fee was absent

2) Marriott - Even though they've renovated somewhat, the property is still tired; resort fee; not on beach

3) Courtyard - Reflagged property; even with two refurbishments, the rooms quite aren't up to par
Old May 10, 17, 3:26 pm

Programs: AS Million Mile Flyer, Marriott LTPP
You're referring to the Aqua Waikiki Wave, not the full service Marriott, right?

Absent a resort fee I would say that the Laylow would be a viable alternative to the Courtyard and Marriott. Among the three Marriott properties in Waikiki, it's difficult to see any one coming out ahead since each one has its drawbacks:

1) Laylow - complete remodel but no lounge - I seem to remember a lounge was implied - and has resort fee - initial reports were that the resort fee was absent

2) Marriott - Even though they've renovated somewhat, the property is still tired; resort fee; not on beach

3) Courtyard - Reflagged property; even with two refurbishments, the rooms quite aren't up to par
your forgetting the new options of Starwood properties right on the beach
Old May 10, 17, 3:39 pm
Suspended

Programs: Delta Diamond, Marriott Ambassador & Lifetime Titanium, Hertz President's Circle, United Silver

Don't forget the The Ritz-Carlton Residences, Waikiki Beach.
Old May 10, 17, 3:58 pm
Suspended

Let's review my options:

The Courtyard Waikiki Beach is $193 plus taxes and no extra fees. It includes an upgrade and 2,000 bonus points, per a Marriott members-only promotion. However, amenities/perks are pretty limited to non-existent at a limited-service Courtyard.

The Laylow, Autograph Collection is $187 plus taxes and what the hotel calls a daily "destination amenity fee" of $25. That's affordable, but the amenities/perks are, at best, unknown and, at worst, lack.

The Waikiki Beach Marriott Resort & Spa is $195 for my dates plus taxes and a daily "resort fee" of $35. Its amenities/perks are known to basically amount to a theoretical upgrade and a buffet breakfast.

Now, let's compare to Starwood.

The Westin Moana Surfrider is $275 plus taxes. While more expensive, you get lounge access. In a place like Hawaii that's easily $55 a day for breakfast, drinks, and dinner -- especially if you make the most of it. Plus, there's no resort fee.

The Royal Hawaiian, a Luxury Collection Resort is $310 plus taxes and a daily "resort fee of $36.65. Usual SPG platinum benefits apply, I presume.

So, it looks like the Moana Surfrider is the best value. Especially since I don't really need anymore Marriott nights as I've already re-qualified.
Old May 10, 17, 4:26 pm

Programs: AA EXP/2.9mm | Marriott LT Titanium 1.6k nights | NEXUS
Let's review my options:

The Courtyard Waikiki Beach is $193 plus taxes and no extra fees. It includes an upgrade and 2,000 bonus points, per a Marriott members-only promotion. However, amenities/perks are pretty limited to non-existent at a limited-service Courtyard.

The Laylow, Autograph Collection is $187 plus taxes and what the hotel calls a daily "destination amenity fee" of $25. That's affordable, but the amenities/perks are, at best, unknown and, at worst, lack.

The Waikiki Beach Marriott Resort & Spa is $195 for my dates plus taxes and a daily "resort fee" of $35. Its amenities/perks are known to basically amount to a theoretical upgrade and a buffet breakfast.

Now, let's compare to Starwood.

The Westin Moana Surfrider is $275 plus taxes. While more expensive, you get lounge access. In a place like Hawaii that's easily $55 a day for breakfast, drinks, and dinner -- especially if you make the most of it. Plus, there's no resort fee.

The Royal Hawaiian, a Luxury Collection Resort is $310 plus taxes and a daily "resort fee of $36.65. Usual SPG platinum benefits apply, I presume.

So, it looks like the Moana Surfrider is the best value. Especially since I don't really need anymore Marriott nights as I've already re-qualified.
Agree. The Marriott is not technically on the beach but it's right across the street. Ive gotten upgrades to the front tower and ocean view but the rooms are dated and beat-up. The resort fee also includes (or included) a couple of SBC chits - regular coffee only of course. Not a major deal. The buffet is good if you want to eat big. The common areas by the main desk are useless and rough. To round it out this would be a dump in any major metro area without a beach. For another benjamin its the right move to opt for tMoana and its amenities including the EL/Beach Club.
Old May 12, 17, 9:10 am
Suspended

The Moana it is. Has anyone been its lounge of late?
Old May 12, 17, 1:09 pm

hockeyinsider: FYI, the Surfrider now has a resort fee of $34.55 a night.

http://www.moana-surfrider.com/rooms.../resortcharge/
Old May 12, 17, 1:22 pm
Marriott Contributor Badge

Decor is probably the strongest aspect of this hotel -- very mid-century modern, rooms are in good shape, nice outdoor spaces. This hotel offers rooms with 2 King beds - an absolute rarity. Customer service is top notch or at least they are trying hard to please.

Worst aspect is the serious lack of breakfast benefit as a Marriott Plat/Gold. The breakfast "nook" on the 15th & 16th floors is a cruel joke -- a Keurig machine that appears to have basic coffee/cappuccino capabilities, some apples/oranges, filtered water tap, and a drawer of ONE pastry type (banana muffins, not even Costco size).
This is what the hotel considers a "continental breakfast". No coupons for the restaurant in the lobby.

No upgrade received as a Plat, despite seeing nicer rooms available on the website.

Oddly enough, there's no Do Not Disturb tag available for the door.
For a non-resort hotel, the Destination Amenity fee (aka Resort Fee) seems to provide zero value. Kind of obnoxious but that's going to be the norm in Waikiki.

As a Plat, I wouldn't stay here again until they clarify their breakfast benefit.
If you are here on business or a mixed biz/leisure stay, I would not stay here at all.
There is no functional workspace in the room. The mini desk is more for looks than actual use.
Old May 12, 17, 1:27 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by windhund View Post
hockeyinsider: FYI, the Surfrider now has a resort fee of $34.55 a night.

http://www.moana-surfrider.com/rooms.../resortcharge/
It doesn't show up on my rate--government.
Old May 12, 17, 1:34 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by izzik View Post
Decor is probably the strongest aspect of this hotel -- very mid-century modern, rooms are in good shape, nice outdoor spaces. This hotel offers rooms with 2 King beds - an absolute rarity. Customer service is top notch or at least they are trying hard to please.

Worst aspect is the serious lack of breakfast benefit as a Marriott Plat/Gold. The breakfast "nook" on the 15th & 16th floors is a cruel joke -- a Keurig machine that appears to have basic coffee/cappuccino capabilities, some apples/oranges, filtered water tap, and a drawer of ONE pastry type (banana muffins, not even Costco size).
This is what the hotel considers a "continental breakfast". No coupons for the restaurant in the lobby.

No upgrade received as a Plat, despite seeing nicer rooms available on the website.

Oddly enough, there's no Do Not Disturb tag available for the door.
For a non-resort hotel, the Destination Amenity fee (aka Resort Fee) seems to provide zero value. Kind of obnoxious but that's going to be the norm in Waikiki.

As a Plat, I wouldn't stay here again until they clarify their breakfast benefit.
If you are here on business or a mixed biz/leisure stay, I would not stay here at all.
There is no functional workspace in the room. The mini desk is more for looks than actual use.
That's disappointing but I'm guessing the management can get away with it because Autograph Collection hotels are "independent" -- whatever "independent" means in terms of brand standards. With that said, the two previous Autograph Collection properties that I've stayed at recently -- the Sortis Hotel in Panama and the Lexington in New York City -- were both very generous with their treatment of a platinum. In Panama, I was upgraded to an excellent suite. The only issue there was that coffee wasn't included in the breakfast, which was weird.. I can't speak to the Lexington's breakfast, as I left for an early morning flight and ate in the lounge. I do, however, seem to recall it was in the restaurant.

This is really something that Marriott needs to address as SPG is fully integrated. There is absolutely no excuse that Marriott does not offer its top-tier elites complimentary breakfast at all hotels in all brand portfolios, just as SPG offers.

As I always tell Marriott management, if I'm on business I can almost always expense breakfast or drinks. As a result, I get little to no value from free breakfast or even a bottle of wine as a welcome amenity. If I'm on my one week of vacation I can't expense it and I'd get a lot more value -- and feel appreciated for spending 125-plus nights in a hotel -- from a complimentary breakfast or a lounge with happy hour drinks and light appetizers.
Old May 12, 17, 3:52 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA EXP; AS 75K; WN A List; UA 1K 1MM; Marriott Ambassador; Hilton Diamond (Aspire); Hyatt Explorist
That's disappointing but I'm guessing the management can get away with it because Autograph Collection hotels are "independent" -- whatever "independent" means in terms of brand standards.
The published breakfast benefit is the same at Autograph Collection as it is at "Marriott" branded properties. This property is just choosing to cheap out in its definition of "continental breakfast."

Waikiki is a relative wasteland for elite benefits in virtually all programs. Reduce expectations accordingly.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: