Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

The Laylow, Autograph Collection -- Honolulu/Waikiki, Hawaii [Master Thread]

The Laylow, Autograph Collection -- Honolulu/Waikiki, Hawaii [Master Thread]

    Hide Wikipost
Old Oct 27, 18, 8:12 am   -   Wikipost
Please read: This is a community-maintained wiki post containing the most important information from this thread. You may edit the Wiki once you have been on FT for 90 days and have made 90 posts.
 
Last edit by: margarita girl
Wiki Link
Hotel email address: [email protected]

The property now provides $15/person credit in the restaurant, which will basically cover cereal & coffee.

Per Flyman:

They don't have the Executive Lounge while they have Executive Level rooms. What they have is an office-style galley on near the elevators on the Executive Level (15/16th floor) where you'll find coffee machine (powdered, not real milk), filtered room-temp water, whole fruit, and snack. In the mornings, they place ONE type of pastry (muffin/donut) and 1 type of juice - their version of continental breakfast. Plat/Gold can get to those floors (if your room is not on the Exec Level) by swiping your room key in the elevator.

The bar has happy hours everyday (4:30-6:30p), and seems to be popular with non-hotel guests as well.

Caution: make sure you get the room type you booked. FDM says there are errors between what Marriott shows for room types and what the hotel actually has.

TIP: From guest room elevator, don't take the elevator to the floor that says 'retail' it's not the ground and is currently a hallway with linens and storage, no way to exit to street. To exit the hotel go to lobby level (2nd) then take escalator to street.

TIP: Kona Coffee Purveyors is a great spot for coffee and pastries (sweet & savory). Exit the hotel and turn right. Just a few doors down, in front of the International Marketplace.

This email should work for contacting the hotel/requests:

[email protected]
Print Wikipost

Old May 7, 17, 12:01 pm
  #61  
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Cupertino, CA
Programs: AA, Marriott
Posts: 4,650
Originally Posted by FlyMan View Post
They don't have the Executive Lounge while they have Executive Level rooms. What they have is a section of those Executive Level (15/16th floor) where you'll find coffee machine, filtered water, whole fruit, and snack. In the mornings, they place malasada donuts and orange juice - their version of continental breakfast. Plat/Gold can get to those floors (if your room is not on the Exec Level) by swiping your room key in the elevator.

The bar has happy hours everyday (4:30-6:30p), and seems to be popular with non-hotel guests as well.
Is this the "continental breakfast" that elites get? One might as well head to IHOP or Eggs 'n Things down the street.
Majuki is offline  
Old May 7, 17, 5:49 pm
  #62  
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: SFO
Programs: AA EXP; AS 75K; WN A List; UA 1K 1MM; Marriott Ambassador; Hilton Diamond (Aspire); Hyatt Explorist
Posts: 44,652
Originally Posted by Majuki View Post
Is this the "continental breakfast" that elites get? One might as well head to IHOP or Eggs 'n Things down the street.
Or LuLu's for breakfast with a view of the water.
Kacee is online now  
Old May 7, 17, 5:53 pm
  #63  
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Programs: UALifetimePremierGold, Marriott LifetimeTitanium
Posts: 67,813
Guess it depends. For some that aren't breakfast folk, just going down the hall for coffee, OJ, fruit, doughnut is fine. Walk down, get the stuff, back to room. No muss, no fuss.

If FlyMan is still there, maybe he can get clarification on whether this is what this property does as an Autograph Collection that's not listed as a resort.

Cheers.
SkiAdcock is offline  
Old May 8, 17, 12:44 pm
  #64  
 
Join Date: Dec 2001
Location: Here and there...
Posts: 1,500
Yep, that's what you get as 'continental breakfast' - as described in the post # 60. The 'breakfast' hours are 7-9am, then they'll place snack (2 flavors of Japanese rice crackers) instead of OJ and donuts. Would have been better if there were bottled water, instead of filtered water (to fill your own bottle)...

So, there are lots of differences from the features listed in the post #1 .

They will do late checkout for elites being a non-resort property.
FlyMan is offline  
Old May 8, 17, 2:43 pm
  #65  
 
Join Date: Sep 2014
Posts: 549
FYI, for those who made bookings before the hotel opened or not long thereafter: I believe the hotel now has a "destination fee" (which is basically like a resort fee: a mandatory fee for each night you stay). However, earlier on, this fee wasn't in the system when making a booking. I had a couple bookings that did not have this in the original confirmation email, but when I checked the reservation in the Marriott app recently, the fee was added to the booking (without any email or other notification).

I don't know what the official policy or terms and conditions are in a situation like this, but do check your bookings.
windhund is offline  
Old May 8, 17, 3:45 pm
  #66  
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: SFO
Programs: AA EXP; AS 75K; WN A List; UA 1K 1MM; Marriott Ambassador; Hilton Diamond (Aspire); Hyatt Explorist
Posts: 44,652
Originally Posted by windhund View Post
I don't know what the official policy or terms and conditions are in a situation like this, but do check your bookings.
If it wasn't disclosed when you booked, you shouldn't have to pay. It's not part of the rate you agreed to.
Kacee is online now  
Old May 8, 17, 3:48 pm
  #67  
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Programs: UALifetimePremierGold, Marriott LifetimeTitanium
Posts: 67,813
Originally Posted by Kacee View Post
If it wasn't disclosed when you booked, you shouldn't have to pay. It's not part of the rate you agreed to.
Agree. However, if it's added to the reservation later & no notification, how does one prove it wasn't there (well, time of reservation & when it went into effect). My new mantra is print out every single reservation confirmation at time of booking, so there's hard copy w/ a time/date stamp. Harder to argue w/ that (re: of property).

Cheers.
SkiAdcock is offline  
Old May 8, 17, 4:21 pm
  #68  
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: SFO
Programs: AA EXP; AS 75K; WN A List; UA 1K 1MM; Marriott Ambassador; Hilton Diamond (Aspire); Hyatt Explorist
Posts: 44,652
Originally Posted by SkiAdcock View Post
However, if it's added to the reservation later & no notification, how does one prove it wasn't there (well, time of reservation & when it went into effect).
How? The confirmation e-mail.
Kacee is online now  
Old May 8, 17, 4:35 pm
  #69  
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Programs: UALifetimePremierGold, Marriott LifetimeTitanium
Posts: 67,813
Originally Posted by Kacee View Post
How? The confirmation e-mail.
As I mentioned, the confirmation email if kept in a folder and/or printed out.

Otherwise, it's going to be a hassle if someone didn't do either & now their online confirmation in the system shows the new fee listed. That's why I said it's beginning to make sense to print out confirmation emails. If they don't have that, they'll have to duke it out by having them check the system for when the ressie was made & compare the ressie date against the date the fee went into effect.

This isn't the first time we've heard of changes being made to ressies w/ no notification to the elite (not just specific to this property). The LAS Renaissance thread is reporting similar (and there have been others in the past).

Cheers.
SkiAdcock is offline  
Old May 8, 17, 6:29 pm
  #70  
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: SFO
Programs: AA EXP; AS 75K; WN A List; UA 1K 1MM; Marriott Ambassador; Hilton Diamond (Aspire); Hyatt Explorist
Posts: 44,652
Originally Posted by SkiAdcock View Post
As I mentioned, the confirmation email if kept in a folder and/or printed out.
I'm still a little confused. Why would you not have your e-mail confirm in your inbox???

If you're saying, "don't delete your e-mail confirms" well, yes, of course. I shouldn't think we even need to say that here.
Kacee is online now  
Old May 8, 17, 8:57 pm
  #71  
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: Virginia, USA
Posts: 4,076
Originally Posted by windhund View Post
FYI, for those who made bookings before the hotel opened or not long thereafter: I believe the hotel now has a "destination fee" (which is basically like a resort fee: a mandatory fee for each night you stay). However, earlier on, this fee wasn't in the system when making a booking. I had a couple bookings that did not have this in the original confirmation email, but when I checked the reservation in the Marriott app recently, the fee was added to the booking (without any email or other notification).

I don't know what the official policy or terms and conditions are in a situation like this, but do check your bookings.
I'm in the same situation and intend to contact the hotel for clarification before arrival. If they insist on adding the fee even though it was not included in my original confirmation I will book elsewhere. I'm not going to acquiesce in that kind of business practice. Other hotels may have a fee but at least I will know that before booking.
JetAway is offline  
Old May 9, 17, 8:30 am
  #72  
 
Join Date: Dec 2001
Location: Here and there...
Posts: 1,500
My booking was made at the last min using points. The confirmation e-mail included Destination Amenity Fee and Tax, but I was not charged upon check-out, fyi.
FlyMan is offline  
Old May 9, 17, 8:35 am
  #73  
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Programs: UALifetimePremierGold, Marriott LifetimeTitanium
Posts: 67,813
Originally Posted by Kacee View Post

If you're saying, "don't delete your e-mail confirms" well, yes, of course. I shouldn't think we even need to say that here.
Because not everyone does, assuming that it's on Marriott's website. I do, but we've had reports over the years where others haven't & changes are made to their ressies/they then don't have the appropriate back-up documentation/it's a hassle to fight the charges.

I think for those who made the ressies before the amenity fee kicked in won't be charged/are grandfathered. That's what other properties have done.

Cheers.
SkiAdcock is offline  
Old May 10, 17, 8:24 am
  #74  
Suspended
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Programs: Delta Diamond, Marriott Ambassador & Lifetime Titanium, Hertz President's Circle, United Silver
Posts: 6,334
I really want to stay here when in Honolulu in June for five nights, as the rate I normally book is really affordable. The architecture and interior decor look wonderful. Plus, it's not that far of a walk from the beach.

I emailed the hotel as well as the hotel general manager about a week ago, but have not received a response. That's disappointing.

Then I read about they call a "continental" breakfast. What an insult. The local Quality Inn or Best Western has a better offering. What if a guest doesn't drink coffee or orange juice? There's no milk, according to reports. Or what if a guest doesn't eat doughnuts? That's just pathetic. Even hostels in Europe have a better breakfast spread.

Out of curiosity, for those of you who have stayed there, do you get any sun at the pool or is it obstructed by nearby buildings?

As for the subject of resort fees, the Sheraton in Old San Juan actually had a "service" fee that paid for in-room toiletries, bedding, towels and pool towels -- not internet, not breakfast, not parking, but in-room toiletries, bedding, towels and pool towels -- when I stayed there two weeks ago.
hockeyinsider is offline  
Old May 10, 17, 8:57 am
  #75  
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Pacific NW
Programs: AS Million Mile Flyer, Marriott LTPP
Posts: 5,290
Originally Posted by hockeyinsider View Post
I really want to stay here when in Honolulu in June for five nights, as the rate I normally book is really affordable. The architecture and interior decor look wonderful. Plus, it's not that far of a walk from the beach.

I emailed the hotel as well as the hotel general manager about a week ago, but have not received a response. That's disappointing.

Then I read about they call a "continental" breakfast. What an insult. The local Quality Inn or Best Western has a better offering. What if a guest doesn't drink coffee or orange juice? There's no milk, according to reports. Or what if a guest doesn't eat doughnuts? That's just pathetic. Even hostels in Europe have a better breakfast spread.

Out of curiosity, for those of you who have stayed there, do you get any sun at the pool or is it obstructed by nearby buildings?

As for the subject of resort fees, the Sheraton in Old San Juan actually had a "service" fee that paid for in-room toiletries, bedding, towels and pool towels -- not internet, not breakfast, not parking, but in-room toiletries, bedding, towels and pool towels -- when I stayed there two weeks ago.

If I could weigh in. This property is a reflag and most likely trying to "find it's way" shorthand for let's see what's the minimum we can get away with. I have seen this with the reflag at the Courtyard in Honolulu and Kona. The Hyatt Place next to the real Hyatt same same. Some say the price is lower, yes but not that much, if you dollar cost out are you really saving money ? Some of which depends on your status. I know this building and it's location an area where many chains are moving into to increase their footprint in the islands. There is also a movement to shrink the pool sizes witness the remodel at the Hyatt.

To be honest I might try this next trip check in if we don't like it we can always check out and go elsewhere
edgewood49 is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Search Engine: