FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/marriott-marriott-bonvoy-766/)
-   -   The Laylow, Autograph Collection -- Honolulu/Waikiki, Hawaii [Master Thread] (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/marriott-marriott-bonvoy/1815452-laylow-autograph-collection-honolulu-waikiki-hawaii-master-thread.html)

edgewood49 Jan 21, 2020 6:57 pm

Originally Posted by SFOTerry (Post 31977398)
Thanks. Front desk (on phone) told me vouchers not valid for alcohol. I'll report back after we stay there this weekend.

That seems to be one of the issue here disinformation and what counts and what doesn't. Poor management

donotblink Feb 4, 2021 9:45 am

I hear that the Laylow may not be charging the resort fee. Anyone know if that's true?

HNLbasedFlyer Feb 4, 2021 10:12 am

Originally Posted by donotblink (Post 33015990)
I hear that the Laylow may not be charging the resort fee. Anyone know if that's true?

They have a $29 daily destination fee prominently displayed on the website

donotblink Feb 4, 2021 10:51 am

Originally Posted by HNLbasedFlyer (Post 33016041)
They have a $29 daily destination fee prominently displayed on the website

A friend stayed at the hotel in November and they indicated that they were waiving it at that time, but I'm not sure if they still are.

HNLbasedFlyer Feb 4, 2021 12:56 pm

Originally Posted by donotblink (Post 33016127)
A friend stayed at the hotel in November and they indicated that they were waiving it at that time, but I'm not sure if they still are.

You could always try calling them

edgewood49 Feb 4, 2021 1:55 pm

Originally Posted by HNLbasedFlyer (Post 33016431)
You could always try calling them

I know people have price points when visiting the islands but this place is a dump with no real regard for Marriott travelers sorry but it ranks right up there with the other subpar rehab'd old apartments/hotels converted. As background I have been doing business in the islands since the mid 70's as an investor and construction company so have seen a lot. Put as much lipstick on the Laylow as you want but it's still ______________

HNLbasedFlyer Feb 4, 2021 2:06 pm

Originally Posted by edgewood49 (Post 33016538)
I know people have price points when visiting the islands but this place is a dump with no real regard for Marriott travelers sorry but it ranks right up there with the other subpar rehab'd old apartments/hotels converted.

As someone who lives in Honolulu - based on location alone, I would not recommend this hotel (or the Courtyard) - unless one was here for work. A vacation though, the location is terrible.

stitch626 Feb 4, 2021 6:38 pm

Originally Posted by HNLbasedFlyer (Post 33016562)
As someone who lives in Honolulu - based on location alone, I would not recommend this hotel (or the Courtyard) - unless one was here for work. A vacation though, the location is terrible.

My husband and I along with a bunch of friends stayed here for a night before we switched to Aulani... I actually really enjoyed the location and the hotel.

It's location next to the International Market Place was convenient, and I'm even more of a fan as right across the street is a Konos North Shore and the Kona Coffee at the marketplace will have me going back to this hotel.

We even had a partial ocean view from our room.

​​​​​​

edgewood49 Feb 4, 2021 6:57 pm

Originally Posted by HNLbasedFlyer (Post 33016562)

I started to mention the Courtyard, they are on their third or fourth renovation? The only good thing there is a IHOP across the street for breakfast. The CY is as lame as the Hyatt Place.

Nagasaki Joe Feb 5, 2021 6:09 am

Originally Posted by edgewood49 (Post 33016538)
I know people have price points when visiting the islands but this place is a dump with no real regard for Marriott travelers sorry but it ranks right up there with the other subpar rehab'd old apartments/hotels converted. As background I have been doing business in the islands since the mid 70's as an investor and construction company so have seen a lot. Put as much lipstick on the Laylow as you want but it's still ______________

I don't question your qualification to judge this hotel as you do, but I do wonder why 766 reviewers on the Marriott website rate it at 4.5 stars (the same rating as the Ritz-Carlton Residences), even the Royal Hawaiian only gets 4.2 stars. I'd like to know because I'm considering staying there because of its high rating. I hope I don't make a mistake and regret it.

CALMSP Feb 5, 2021 8:13 am

Originally Posted by Nagasaki Joe (Post 33017695)
I don't question your qualification to judge this hotel as you do, but I do wonder why 766 reviewers on the Marriott website rate it at 4.5 stars (the same rating as the Ritz-Carlton Residences), even the Royal Hawaiian only gets 4.2 stars. I'd like to know because I'm considering staying there because of its high rating. I hope I don't make a mistake and regret it.

well, the RH certainly outdoes the Laylow, with no questions asked. While I like the area and the vibe at the Laylow (pool sucks), and my affection towards Autographs, I'd question the validity of the 4.5 stars, especially matching RC and exceeding the RH. That said, I would say the people reviewing are in a different class if they are booking the Laylow in comparison to the RC or RH.

Kacee Feb 5, 2021 8:26 am

Originally Posted by CALMSP (Post 33017917)
I would say the people reviewing are in a different class if they are booking the Laylow in comparison to the RC or RH.

Or looking for a different experience, and probably have lesser expectations commensurate with the lower prices.

Laylow may not provide a great elite experience but many guests seem to like it. I don't view the location as any worse than any of the other properties at that end of Waikiki that are not ocean-facing. It's certainly convenient to Marukame. Not sure I'll ever stay there though.

edgewood49 Feb 5, 2021 9:35 am

I am not sure nor do I venture to guess online. Having said that and answering an additional remark no I am not "peering down" at the Laylow over a higher brand. I travel to the islands many times for one or two days on business at times preferring to stay at say the CY ( twice was enough) so I don't need the "experience" hotels. But being in the business I enough booking into a new "flag" property. This place is run by an ownership group out of Memphis ( if I remember correct). Poor onsite management, pool like the Hyatt Place next to non existent. This property in my opinion does not even come close to a Renaissance Hotel

HNLbasedFlyer Feb 5, 2021 11:49 am

I suspect part of the RH lower ratings have much to do with high room rates - and having to pay for lounge chairs on the beach. It is an oceanfront hotel and not really comparable to the Lawlow - (I think the RH is overpriced - I prefer the Sheraton where I have literally 100% success to a suite upgrade and prefer the adult only pool)

If someone is on a tight budget - then staying on Kuhio Ave might be the only option - it isn't even across the street from the beach - Kuhio gets a bit of a sketchy vibe after dark (although much improved than 10 years ago) - but if all you are looking for is a place to put your stuff - don't mind lugging your stuff to the beach - don't really care about the view - then I'm sure this place is fine. I personally wouldn't stay at a Kuhio Ave hotel whether it be Lawlow or something else.

edgewood49 Feb 5, 2021 12:02 pm

Originally Posted by HNLbasedFlyer (Post 33018411)
I suspect part of the RH lower ratings have much to do with high room rates - and having to pay for lounge chairs on the beach. It is an oceanfront hotel and not really comparable to the Lawlow - (I think the RH is overpriced - I prefer the Sheraton where I have literally 100% success to a suite upgrade and prefer the adult only pool)

If someone is on a tight budget - then staying on Kuhio Ave might be the only option - it isn't even across the street from the beach - Kuhio gets a bit of a sketchy vibe after dark (although much improved than 10 years ago) - but if all you are looking for is a place to put your stuff - don't mind lugging your stuff to the beach - don't really care about the view - then I'm sure this place is fine. I personally wouldn't stay at a Kuhio Ave hotel whether it be Lawlow or something else.

X2 And agree on the Sheraton even better after the renovation work.