Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

The Laylow, Autograph Collection -- Honolulu/Waikiki, Hawaii [Master Thread]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old May 10, 2017, 9:21 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: margarita girl
Hotel email address: [email protected]

The property now provides $15/person credit in the restaurant, which will basically cover cereal & coffee.

Per Flyman:

They don't have the Executive Lounge while they have Executive Level rooms. What they have is an office-style galley on near the elevators on the Executive Level (15/16th floor) where you'll find coffee machine (powdered, not real milk), filtered room-temp water, whole fruit, and snack. In the mornings, they place ONE type of pastry (muffin/donut) and 1 type of juice - their version of continental breakfast. Plat/Gold can get to those floors (if your room is not on the Exec Level) by swiping your room key in the elevator.

The bar has happy hours everyday (4:30-6:30p), and seems to be popular with non-hotel guests as well.

Caution: make sure you get the room type you booked. FDM says there are errors between what Marriott shows for room types and what the hotel actually has.

TIP: From guest room elevator, don't take the elevator to the floor that says 'retail' it's not the ground and is currently a hallway with linens and storage, no way to exit to street. To exit the hotel go to lobby level (2nd) then take escalator to street.

TIP: Kona Coffee Purveyors is a great spot for coffee and pastries (sweet & savory). Exit the hotel and turn right. Just a few doors down, in front of the International Marketplace.

This email should work for contacting the hotel/requests:

[email protected]
Print Wikipost

The Laylow, Autograph Collection -- Honolulu/Waikiki, Hawaii [Master Thread]

Search this Thread

Old May 14, 2018, 12:12 pm
Marriott Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by Kree
I am going for work actually. Its what bring me to this forum. Going to hit atleast 75 days on the road this year (might be 100) so I thought getting some tips and tricks from veterans would be a good thing.

Wish I had thought to check before I began booking places. A review at SFO has me regretting my choice and considering rebooking.
If you are going for work, might want to consider another property.. these rooms don't have much of a workspace in the room.
Old May 14, 2018, 2:36 pm

Programs: AS Million Miler/Marriott Lifetime Titanium/ IGH Ambassador
Originally Posted by SkiAdcock
In fairness, while elites aren't thrilled w/ the property there are probably a lot of regular John/Jane Does that would be ok with it so I don't think sutho is totally wrong.

Cheers.
You have a point for someone who has never been to Honolulu and see's that it's Marriott then assuming it's on par with others. Might work
margarita girl likes this.
Old May 15, 2018, 12:08 am
Suspended

Programs: Delta Diamond, Marriott Ambassador & Lifetime Titanium, Hertz President's Circle, United Silver
Originally Posted by edgewood49
You have a point for someone who has never been to Honolulu and see's that it's Marriott then assuming it's on par with others. Might work
Until you can't swim in the pool because it's too small for more than a couple guests to use or realize the pool gets almost no sunshine. Yet you're still charged a resort/destination fee.
Old May 15, 2018, 6:38 am

Thanks to everyone who has replied to me. As a new member I have limited posts, which is why I am slow to respond. It also means I can't afford to reply to everyone individually.

I appreciate the thoughts, tips, and questions. At this time I think i will stick with my booking. I'm going to be in conferences for most of my trip so my room doesn't matter as much. I will take everything into consideration for when I book my next trip (and when I'm a higher ranked elite).
C17PSGR likes this.
Old May 15, 2018, 12:14 pm

Programs: AA, AS, Marriott
Originally Posted by Kree
Thanks to everyone who has replied to me. As a new member I have limited posts, which is why I am slow to respond. It also means I can't afford to reply to everyone individually.

I appreciate the thoughts, tips, and questions. At this time I think i will stick with my booking. I'm going to be in conferences for most of my trip so my room doesn't matter as much. I will take everything into consideration for when I book my next trip (and when I'm a higher ranked elite).
Hi Kree, you can select multi quote to reply to multiple people at the same time. (I don't think that would count against the post limit.)

Another thing to consider is if you are on a corporate/government rate is whether or not it includes or excludes the resort fee. I know of at least one person posting about the Waikiki Marriott getting the resort fee waived because of using a corporate rate.
Old May 22, 2018, 8:46 am

Programs: Marriott titanium elite, Hilton Diamond
and you work for
HI mate, thanks for showing an interest,
I work for a company that gives me an opportunity to stay in Marriott hotels around the country.

When you stayed at The Laylow, what did you personally like about the stay?
I have only heard negatives from you so far.
Old May 22, 2018, 8:51 am

Originally Posted by sutho
HI mate, thanks for showing an interest,
I work for a company that gives me an opportunity to stay in Marriott hotels around the country.

When you stayed at The Laylow, what did you personally like about the stay?
I have only heard negatives from you so far.
I have stayed at many "reflags" in my business travel and this is one that is on the poorer side of acceptable let alone a Marriott. At best maybe a Courtyard flag but not a Marriott. As a LFT PLT with over 4K in room nights I think I can see one, And I own a construction co
Old May 22, 2018, 12:36 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend
Original Poster

Programs: UALifetimePremierGold, Marriott LifetimeTitanium
Can't speak for others, but I'm looking forward to more trip reports on the property

Cheers.
Old May 23, 2018, 3:42 pm

Programs: Marriott titanium elite, Hilton Diamond
I have stayed at many "reflags" in my business travel and this is one that is on the poorer side of acceptable let alone a Marriott. At best maybe a Courtyard flag but not a Marriott. As a LFT PLT with over 4K in room nights I think I can see one, And I own a construction co
Sounds good,
do you have any interest in doing a trip report for your stay at the Laylow, to let people know your positives and negatives of the hotel?
Old May 23, 2018, 4:41 pm

Originally Posted by sutho
Sounds good,
do you have any interest in doing a trip report for your stay at the Laylow, to let people know your positives and negatives of the hotel?
Not really most here know my feelings
Old Jun 24, 2018, 7:20 pm

Programs: UA MM 1K, AA MM Gold, Marriott LT Platinum
Just read the entire thread, and it looks like overall things are much better than when they opened. I'm booked there for one night next week, so not much time to experience as much as most of you. I used the above link to the hotel to send an email asking for ideas of things to do in the area. Within an hour, I got back a long email from one of the hotel's concierges: I'll post my experience after the trip.

Here's the email, names redacted:

Aloha Tarheelnj!

I want to extend my warmest mahalo for your recent booking with the Laylow, we are humbled that you have chosen to stay with us! My name is ........, guest guide and concierge at the Laylow. If this is your first time staying at a Marriot Autograph Collection, please allow me to welcome you with open arms -- if you have any special requests or if there is anything that I can do to make your stay exceptional, please let me know and I'll do my best to accommodate!

Here at the welcome center, we are especially great at simplifying your visit -- helping to plan and organize your activity wish list so that you can enjoy the amenities here at the Laylow, the surrounding Waikiki and island of Oahu. If there are things like arrival shuttles needed, would like personal assistance planning and managing your activity schedule, or looking for dining recommendations -- that is just a small extension of what we are able to assist with. I've attached an activity guide for the island of Oahu; if you are traveling to any neighbor islands I'll be able to provide separate activity guides for those islands as well. I would love to share with you the beauty of each island and the manathat makes them unique: epic helicopters through the Waimea Canyon and the Napali Coast in Kauai, small group narrated tours of Pearl Harbor, incredible fire-knife dancing at the luau, zip-lining over triple-tiered waterfalls along the Hamakua Coast, an evening snorkel with manta rays off the Kona coastline, just to name a few things.

It takes about 35-40 min typically to get to the Waikiki area, depending on the flow of traffic. With regards to your timeframe, the activities that are possible are sunset cruises, evening shows, luaus (a must!), ghost tours, and sunset helicopter flights. Most activities on the activity guide will be during morning or midday.

Please let me know what perks your interests and I'll provide corresponding information. I cannot stress the difficulties of booking activities during the heart of our summer season as we are in; it's always best to have your reservations done in advance, I am here to assist!

Mahalo Nui Loa,

Concierge, Expedia Local Expert®
The Laylow, A Marriot Autograph Collection
Old Jun 24, 2018, 8:32 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, AC MM E75, Marriott LT Ti, IHG Dia Amb, Hyatt Glob
WOW! The Marriott Concierge doesn't know how to spell Marriott???
hockeyinsider likes this.
Old Jun 24, 2018, 9:15 pm

Originally Posted by tarheelnj
Just read the entire thread, and it looks like overall things are much better than when they opened. I'm booked there for one night next week, so not much time to experience as much as most of you. I used the above link to the hotel to send an email asking for ideas of things to do in the area. Within an hour, I got back a long email from one of the hotel's concierges: I'll post my experience after the trip.

Aloha Tarheelnj!

I want to extend my warmest mahalo for your recent booking with the Laylow, we are humbled that you have chosen to stay with us! My name is ........, guest guide and concierge at the Laylow. If this is your first time staying at a Marriot Autograph Collection, please allow me to welcome you with open arms -- if you have any special requests or if there is anything that I can do to make your stay exceptional, please let me know and I'll do my best to accommodate!

Here at the welcome center, we are especially great at simplifying your visit -- helping to plan and organize your activity wish list so that you can enjoy the amenities here at the Laylow, the surrounding Waikiki and island of Oahu. If there are things like arrival shuttles needed, would like personal assistance planning and managing your activity schedule, or looking for dining recommendations -- that is just a small extension of what we are able to assist with. I've attached an activity guide for the island of Oahu; if you are traveling to any neighbor islands I'll be able to provide separate activity guides for those islands as well. I would love to share with you the beauty of each island and the manathat makes them unique: epic helicopters through the Waimea Canyon and the Napali Coast in Kauai, small group narrated tours of Pearl Harbor, incredible fire-knife dancing at the luau, zip-lining over triple-tiered waterfalls along the Hamakua Coast, an evening snorkel with manta rays off the Kona coastline, just to name a few things.

It takes about 35-40 min typically to get to the Waikiki area, depending on the flow of traffic. With regards to your timeframe, the activities that are possible are sunset cruises, evening shows, luaus (a must!), ghost tours, and sunset helicopter flights. Most activities on the activity guide will be during morning or midday.

Please let me know what perks your interests and I'll provide corresponding information. I cannot stress the difficulties of booking activities during the heart of our summer season as we are in; it's always best to have your reservations done in advance, I am here to assist!

Mahalo Nui Loa,

Ok so let us all know when your there and maybe stop by the Concierge and do a spell check with them. Geez thats really really bad.
Old Jun 24, 2018, 10:03 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by margarita girl
WOW! The Marriott Concierge doesn't know how to spell Marriott???
Cost savings. That extra "T" isn't free.
Old Jun 25, 2018, 5:02 am
Suspended

Programs: Delta Diamond, Marriott Ambassador & Lifetime Titanium, Hertz President's Circle, United Silver
Originally Posted by tarheelnj

Aloha Tarheelnj!

Mahalo Nui Loa,

I wouldn't expect much as a Marriott gold, especially considering the reports from platinums and platinum premiers who have stayed there.

I think it's a perfectly fine hotel for someone without elite status. But the wink-and-nod approach to following Marriott's terms and conditions, the uncompetitive offerings for elites, and the daily resort fee-in-all-but-name for a city hotel with almost no views of Waikiki Beach and instead has a small pool that gets almost no sunshine make it a no-go for me and many others, especially now that I can stay at legacy SPG properties.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.