Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

The Laylow, Autograph Collection -- Honolulu/Waikiki, Hawaii [Master Thread]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old May 10, 2017, 9:21 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: margarita girl
Hotel email address: [email protected]

The property now provides $15/person credit in the restaurant, which will basically cover cereal & coffee.

Per Flyman:

They don't have the Executive Lounge while they have Executive Level rooms. What they have is an office-style galley on near the elevators on the Executive Level (15/16th floor) where you'll find coffee machine (powdered, not real milk), filtered room-temp water, whole fruit, and snack. In the mornings, they place ONE type of pastry (muffin/donut) and 1 type of juice - their version of continental breakfast. Plat/Gold can get to those floors (if your room is not on the Exec Level) by swiping your room key in the elevator.

The bar has happy hours everyday (4:30-6:30p), and seems to be popular with non-hotel guests as well.

Caution: make sure you get the room type you booked. FDM says there are errors between what Marriott shows for room types and what the hotel actually has.

TIP: From guest room elevator, don't take the elevator to the floor that says 'retail' it's not the ground and is currently a hallway with linens and storage, no way to exit to street. To exit the hotel go to lobby level (2nd) then take escalator to street.

TIP: Kona Coffee Purveyors is a great spot for coffee and pastries (sweet & savory). Exit the hotel and turn right. Just a few doors down, in front of the International Marketplace.

This email should work for contacting the hotel/requests:

[email protected]
Print Wikipost

The Laylow, Autograph Collection -- Honolulu/Waikiki, Hawaii [Master Thread]

Search this Thread

Old Feb 27, 2018, 2:34 pm
Suspended

Programs: Delta Diamond, Marriott Ambassador & Lifetime Titanium, Hertz President's Circle, United Silver
Originally Posted by milesmutt
So I just finished my 7-night package stay at the Laylow. Overall, I was pretty happy with the hotel. Modern, clean rooms were appreciated,
as were the pool, gym, and the Hideout coffee shop. We made use of every dollar of the $30 ($15x2) vouchers downstairs too, but the destination fee
of $25 per day was not waived as some had reported.

Everything was as expected of a smaller, boutique-style hotel. I know I'm not going to have a gigantic lap pool and spacious gym, so I set my
expectations accordingly. The pool was plenty nice for my daughter, and I got a few workouts done at the gym.

My only complaint (if it can be even called that) was the lack of an upgrade. I'm sure I was probably only one of a handful of Plat Premiers staying there at
the time so it was disappointing to not get one. Not only that, but the FD clerk said she didn't have any suites available, but then proceeded to offer the next guy,
who was by himself, an upgrade to a Corner Suite for $20! WTH. I didn't say anything, being the nice guy that I am, but I was steaming inside.
It's possible that he was only there for a night, but nevertheless, saying one thing to me and doing otherwise to the next guy was infuriating.
And even though I was supposed to have it, she didn't code my keys properly to have access to the "Executive" level. Not a big deal though as
we didn't plan to go there anyway, as laughable as it is. Yet another PP disappointment to follow the loss of UA Mileage Plus Gold.

I think the location is excellent btw. I didn't care if the beach is a few blocks down (I have feet that work after all and enjoy walking around) and
Waikiki Beach was only a five to six minute stroll past Kalakaua Ave. The International Marketplace (kinda miss the old grungy one) is next door
with its high-end boutique shops, and you're surrounded by excellent dining options.

Our room was on the 12th floor, and had a good view of the ocean to the left side, and mountains to the right from the lanai. Noise was a little higher
on Friday and Saturday nights, but at least the room has decent sound insulation so we had no problems getting to sleep. Elevators during check-out
mornings were sometimes a longer wait, but not bad enough to make my eight-year old groan.

All in all, despite the lack of elite benefits, I would not hesitate to go back to this property.
No offense, but you must really be a pushover. How can you not complain about the upgrade issue and the keycard access issue? I mean, seriously. By not doing that you're making it easier for the hotel and Marriott management to turn a blind-eye to bad practices. At least for the sake of the new guy, you should complain.

For what it's worth I was in Hawaii a few days ago and I had dinner here. I didn't stay here because I wanted to be on the beach. I can attest to the excellent design and decor, however, the pool is very, very small. I can't imagine it gets any sunshine during the day because of the adjoining buildings.
Old Feb 27, 2018, 2:54 pm

Programs: UA Silver, Hyatt Mid-Tier, Marriott PP/Lifetime Platinum
Originally Posted by hockeyinsider
No offense, but you must really be a pushover. How can you not complain about the upgrade issue and the keycard access issue? I mean, seriously. By not doing that you're making it easier for the hotel and Marriott management to turn a blind-eye to bad practices. At least for the sake of the new guy, you should complain.

For what it's worth I was in Hawaii a few days ago and I had dinner here. I didn't stay here because I wanted to be on the beach. I can attest to the excellent design and decor, however, the pool is very, very small. I can't imagine it gets any sunshine during the day because of the adjoining buildings.
No offense taken, and no, I'm most definitely not a pushover. At the time, I just felt it wasn't worth the bother, and the guy seemed to be a local business traveler who was probably just staying for a night. Also, am I guaranteed an upgrade every time just because I'm PP? One can only wish.

Honestly, I don't understand all the flak this property is getting. The ones who seem to mock the place most are the ones who haven't stayed there.

As for the pool, it's not a big concern or priority for me. I've got a big pool called the Pacific Ocean close by that I can jump into, which I did a couple of times. ; )
Old Mar 16, 2018, 10:52 am
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: UA 1MM & 1K, Marriott Titanium, Hilton Diamond
Stayed here for 3 nights a few weeks ago, and planning another 3 night stay in a month. I do like the interior design of the rooms. I took points instead of the breakfast voucher - I'm glad I did so as Marukame Udon across the street has no wait in the morning. Not exactly a western style breakfast but if you aren't worried about that, it's great.

I was on the northwest side of the building on the 7th or 8th floor, a bit of consistent HVAC noise from the Hyatt Centric next door at night but didn't hear any street noise.

The pool isn't worth talking about, a little bit of water surrounded by buildings. The beach is easily within walking distance though there is no real view of it or the ocean from the rooms.

The location was convenient for my needs and the Avis Budget location that was previously in the Hyatt has moved next door into the International Marketplace.

I had a bit of an issue asking for a 4pm checkout as a Platinum - they claimed they were oversold the next night and couldn't do it. I called them out on it, showed them that clearly wasn't the case, and they begrudgingly gave me the late checkout after that. That was the big negative of my stay. I hate being lied to. It should have been a complete non-issue.

Ultimately, for my next stay, it was the cheapest option I was considering by far. 175/night while everything else I'd consider staying at in Waikiki is starting at 300.

Last edited by thesun; Mar 16, 2018 at 11:01 am
Old Mar 16, 2018, 11:41 am
Suspended

Programs: Delta Diamond, Marriott Ambassador & Lifetime Titanium, Hertz President's Circle, United Silver
Originally Posted by thesun
I had a bit of an issue asking for a 4pm checkout as a Platinum - they claimed they were oversold the next night and couldn't do it. I called them out on it, showed them that clearly wasn't the case, and they begrudgingly gave me the late checkout after that. That was the big negative of my stay. I hate being lied to. It should have been a complete non-issue.
This property has a serious issue with lying to guests.

Corporate Marriott and the management company that runs the Laylow is aware of the on-property issues and is following it. You should let them know your experience:

Chuck Freije
Senior Vice President Operations
Pyramid Hotel Group
[email protected]
Old May 13, 2018, 10:34 am

Interesting stories. I'm booked here for 10 days next month and was surprised by the low price i got. Glad to see it might live up to the pictures.
Old May 13, 2018, 11:32 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by Kree
Interesting stories. I'm booked here for 10 days next month and was surprised by the low price i got. Glad to see it might live up to the pictures.
10 days? That's a long time in Waikiki, especially not on the beach, if you aren't going for work.
Old May 13, 2018, 11:39 am

10 days? That's a long time in Waikiki, especially not on the beach, if you aren't going for work.
I am going for work actually. Its what bring me to this forum. Going to hit atleast 75 days on the road this year (might be 100) so I thought getting some tips and tricks from veterans would be a good thing.

Wish I had thought to check before I began booking places. A review at SFO has me regretting my choice and considering rebooking.
Old May 13, 2018, 3:59 pm

Programs: AS Million Miler/Marriott Lifetime Titanium/ IGH Ambassador
I am going for work actually. Its what bring me to this forum. Going to hit atleast 75 days on the road this year (might be 100) so I thought getting some tips and tricks from veterans would be a good thing.

Wish I had thought to check before I began booking places. A review at SFO has me regretting my choice and considering rebooking.

I would rebook as fast as I can if you have status try that. The only Marriott flag at this point I would stay is the full service one. CY is horrible been refreshed twice since opening and still closet sized rooms
Old May 14, 2018, 2:16 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by edgewood49
I would rebook as fast as I can if you have status try that. The only Marriott flag at this point I would stay is the full service one. CY is horrible been refreshed twice since opening and still closet sized rooms
I agree. If you aren't going to stay on the beach then you might as well stay at the Marriott instead of the Laylow.
Old May 14, 2018, 4:43 am

I agree. If you aren't going to stay on the beach then you might as well stay at the Marriott instead of the Laylow.
Can't if I'm keeping at government rates. A Courtyard did appear on my searches that wasn't there before though. With a 1000 mile per night bonus. Might switch to that, but its my first trip to Hawaii, so I like the idea of nightly ukulele lessons and over the top aesthetics.
EdV likes this.
Old May 14, 2018, 5:59 am

Programs: Marriott titanium elite, Hilton Diamond
The Lawlow is perfectly fine to stay at,
some people are just pissed that the hotel doesn't provide all the marriott benefits it should,
if you can get past this, then you will have a great stay at this hotel.
Old May 14, 2018, 6:38 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by sutho
some people are just pissed that the hotel doesn't provide all the marriott benefits it should,
It's not a perfectly fine place to stay if the hotel isn't providing what it is supposed to provide. The hotel has been disingenuous toward guests.

Moreover, the pool sucks and it isn't on the beach. It could at least make up for not being on the beach by having an amazing pool, but it doesn't. On top of that it charges a daily fee that is, in effect, a resort fee.
Old May 14, 2018, 6:42 am

Originally Posted by sutho
and you work for
Old May 14, 2018, 10:28 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend
Original Poster

Programs: UALifetimePremierGold, Marriott LifetimeTitanium
In fairness, while elites aren't thrilled w/ the property there are probably a lot of regular John/Jane Does that would be ok with it so I don't think sutho is totally wrong.

Cheers.
Old May 14, 2018, 11:47 am

Can't if I'm keeping at government rates. A Courtyard did appear on my searches that wasn't there before though. With a 1000 mile per night bonus. Might switch to that, but its my first trip to Hawaii, so I like the idea of nightly ukulele lessons and over the top aesthetics.
I assume you have asked the real Marriott FS for a gov rate?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.