Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

The Laylow, Autograph Collection -- Honolulu/Waikiki, Hawaii [Master Thread]

Old May 10, 2017, 9:21 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: margarita girl
Hotel email address: [email protected]

The property now provides $15/person credit in the restaurant, which will basically cover cereal & coffee.

Per Flyman:

They don't have the Executive Lounge while they have Executive Level rooms. What they have is an office-style galley on near the elevators on the Executive Level (15/16th floor) where you'll find coffee machine (powdered, not real milk), filtered room-temp water, whole fruit, and snack. In the mornings, they place ONE type of pastry (muffin/donut) and 1 type of juice - their version of continental breakfast. Plat/Gold can get to those floors (if your room is not on the Exec Level) by swiping your room key in the elevator.

The bar has happy hours everyday (4:30-6:30p), and seems to be popular with non-hotel guests as well.

Caution: make sure you get the room type you booked. FDM says there are errors between what Marriott shows for room types and what the hotel actually has.

TIP: From guest room elevator, don't take the elevator to the floor that says 'retail' it's not the ground and is currently a hallway with linens and storage, no way to exit to street. To exit the hotel go to lobby level (2nd) then take escalator to street.

TIP: Kona Coffee Purveyors is a great spot for coffee and pastries (sweet & savory). Exit the hotel and turn right. Just a few doors down, in front of the International Marketplace.

This email should work for contacting the hotel/requests:

[email protected]
Print Wikipost

The Laylow, Autograph Collection -- Honolulu/Waikiki, Hawaii [Master Thread]

Old Jan 23, 2018, 9:34 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by margarita girl
Nice view of the Sheraton Waikiki where I expect to be upgraded to my usual 1200 sq ft ocean front suite next week.
It's not polite to gloat
margarita girl likes this.
Old Jan 25, 2018, 6:41 pm

Programs: AS Million Miler/Marriott Lifetime Titanium/ IGH Ambassador
Originally Posted by Kacee
It's not polite to gloat

Well and you would book at the Laylow?
Old Feb 3, 2018, 5:47 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, AC MM E75, Marriott LT Ti, IHG Día Amb, Hyatt Glob
Just checked in to Sheraton Waikiki. Waiting for my ocean front suite.

I've posted a couple of times in this thread that SW waives the resort fee for Platinum members. My favorite FD agent advised me today that Marriott is cracking down and as of Jan 1, they are no longer allowed to waive the resort fee. Breakfast/lounge access still hanging on for now.
Old Feb 3, 2018, 5:53 pm

Just checked in to Sheraton Waikiki. Waiting for my ocean front suite.

I've posted a couple of times in this thread that SW waives the resort fee for Platinum members. My favorite FD agent advised me today that Marriott is cracking down and as of Jan 1, they are no longer allowed to waive the resort fee. Breakfast/lounge access still hanging on for now.
Keep us posted and thank you. As LFT PLT this might be a better option Let us know the condition of the rooms

PS have one on me !
Old Feb 3, 2018, 7:09 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by edgewood49
Keep us posted and thank you. As LFT PLT this might be a better option Let us know the condition of the rooms

PS have one on me !
It's an old hotel, so the rooms are old, but I've always found them to be very clean! They have done some improvements. All the rooms have Toto toilets and they moved to a wristband key about 6 months ago. My suite is 1112 sq ft, but the standard rooms are tiny (240 sq ft). My suite has 2 double beds (which is what I asked for), plus a Murphy bed in the living room.

This is the view from my living room balcony.

This is the view from my bedroom balcony.

Sorry, I can't see the Laylow from here.
Old Feb 4, 2018, 9:32 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Awesome views! Nice to be beachside rather than traffic side, as at both Marriotts and the Hyatt. I will probably give Sheraton a try my next time in Waikiki, especially after a lackluster stay last time at HHV.

My favorite FD agent advised me today that Marriott is cracking down and as of Jan 1, they are no longer allowed to waive the resort fee.
I'm always a bit skeptical when agents justify a negative change by blaming "corporate." I believe the properties themselves retain discretion on these matters, and that the decision to charge a resort/destination fee in the first instance is purely up to the property.

I do know they intermittently waive the resort fee for me at the Camelback Inn, and that property's owned by the Marriott family.
Old Feb 4, 2018, 1:31 pm

It's an old hotel, so the rooms are old, but I've always found them to be very clean! They have done some improvements. All the rooms have Toto toilets and they moved to a wristband key about 6 months ago. My suite is 1112 sq ft, but the standard rooms are tiny (240 sq ft). My suite has 2 double beds (which is what I asked for), plus a Murphy bed in the living room.

This is the view from my bedroom balcony.

Sorry, I can't see the Laylow from here.
Meow
itsaboutthejourney likes this.
Old Feb 4, 2018, 1:32 pm

Originally Posted by Kacee
Awesome views! Nice to be beachside rather than traffic side, as at both Marriotts and the Hyatt. I will probably give Sheraton a try my next time in Waikiki, especially after a lackluster stay last time at HHV.

I'm always a bit skeptical when agents justify a negative change by blaming "corporate." I believe the properties themselves retain discretion on these matters, and that the decision to charge a resort/destination fee in the first instance is purely up to the property.

I do know they intermittently waive the resort fee for me at the Camelback Inn, and that property's owned by the Marriott family.
Your mostly correct on local discretion. I think we will also try this spring/summer.
Old Feb 4, 2018, 1:51 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Here’s a better view of Diamond Head from my balcony this morning.
Originally Posted by edgewood49
Your mostly correct on local discretion. I think we will also try this spring/summer.
Please report back. I've been coming to this hotel 3-5 times/yr for the last 8 yrs and have NEVER paid a resort fee. Strange coincidence that one of the regular agents who knows me well and has never had an issue waiving the fee before now tells me that she won't be able to waive it going forward.

Last edited by margarita girl; Feb 4, 2018 at 1:58 pm
Old Feb 4, 2018, 2:20 pm
Suspended

Programs: Delta Diamond, Marriott Ambassador & Lifetime Titanium, Hertz President's Circle, United Silver
May I suggest the Sheraton discuss be moved to another thread, please?
Old Feb 4, 2018, 2:28 pm

Originally Posted by hockeyinsider
May I suggest the Sheraton discuss be moved to another thread, please?

It's a lot better discussion than the Laylow don't you think? !! But all kidding aside why even continue a thread about this lame wanna be property that is ripping people pretending to be a real Marriott
Old Feb 4, 2018, 7:34 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL DM & 2MM, SPG/Bonvoid LT Titanium, Hyatt Globalist, $tarbucks Titanium
Continues to dissapoint...

I thought I'd give it one more try: booked a regular room and was happy to see the Marriott app show a partial ocean view/Exec Level room. When I checked in the agent said I'd been upgraded and I thanked her assuming it was what the app said. Nope. No view, no exec floor, but it was called a suite (one room, but with a shelf separating an odd area with table & chairs). Appreciated the effort to upgrade, but when the agent said they don't do the exec level any more I should have questioned everything. At check-out, I asked why no view or Exec Level as the app showed, agent said they continue to have issues between Marriott and hotel room system. I call b.s. they have had time to fix those issues and room descriptions, I think the GM simply doesn't care as long as he rakes in great revenue at the bar and via Resort Fees.

The $15 voucher given in lieu of no lounge is better than what they used to do, but I doesn't cover breakfast, nor bottles of water/coffee/tea that you'd get in a lounge or on the 'exec level pantry'.

Appreciate that they have a card that explains what's in the Resort fee, but it still is not much of value.

Kudos to them for the Maak Labs soaps, but my bottles were 1/2 full. FD said they'd send up replacement bottles, but didn't follow-up.

Housekeeping called me 1.5 hrs before check-out asking when I was checking out

I really like the decor of the rooms and public spaces and the bar has some amazing cocktails/food. Kudos to Marriott for offering something far from your typical tacky Marriott, but they need to treat elite customers better if they want to retain high-value customers, especially those from SPG.
Old Feb 5, 2018, 6:25 am
Suspended

Programs: Delta Diamond, Marriott Ambassador & Lifetime Titanium, Hertz President's Circle, United Silver
Originally Posted by itsaboutthejourney
I thought I'd give it one more try: booked a regular room and was happy to see the Marriott app show a partial ocean view/Exec Level room. When I checked in the agent said I'd been upgraded and I thanked her assuming it was what the app said. Nope. No view, no exec floor, but it was called a suite (one room, but with a shelf separating an odd area with table & chairs). Appreciated the effort to upgrade, but when the agent said they don't do the exec level any more I should have questioned everything. At check-out, I asked why no view or Exec Level as the app showed, agent said they continue to have issues between Marriott and hotel room system. I call b.s. they have had time to fix those issues and room descriptions, I think the GM simply doesn't care as long as he rakes in great revenue at the bar and via Resort Fees.

The $15 voucher given in lieu of no lounge is better than what they used to do, but I doesn't cover breakfast, nor bottles of water/coffee/tea that you'd get in a lounge or on the 'exec level pantry'.

Appreciate that they have a card that explains what's in the Resort fee, but it still is not much of value.

Kudos to them for the Maak Labs soaps, but my bottles were 1/2 full. FD said they'd send up replacement bottles, but didn't follow-up.

I really like the decor of the rooms and public spaces and the bar has some amazing cocktails/food. Kudos to Marriott for offering something far from your typical tacky Marriott, but they need to treat elite customers better if they want to retain high-value customers, especially those from SPG.
I did some research.

Here is the contact for the management company (they are not managed by Marriott, only a franchise):

Chuck Freije
Senior Vice President Operations, Pyramid Hotel Group
[email protected]
Old Feb 5, 2018, 7:29 am

Originally Posted by itsaboutthejourney

It sounds like they are in the middle of re accessing their model. Clearly some counter to Marriott branding. The ownership has a lot of Marriott's so it's not like they don't know. They sound a bit like a equity capitol group. Well I would suppose for those that have stayed here a letter to Marriott helps. I am not going to try this place since the merger the Westin and Sheraton directly on the beach sure look good.
Old Feb 27, 2018, 2:06 pm

Programs: UA Silver, Hyatt Mid-Tier, Marriott PP/Lifetime Platinum
So I just finished my 7-night package stay at the Laylow. Overall, I was pretty happy with the hotel. Modern, clean rooms were appreciated,
as were the pool, gym, and the Hideout coffee shop. We made use of every dollar of the $30 ($15x2) vouchers downstairs too, but the destination fee
of $25 per day was not waived as some had reported.

Everything was as expected of a smaller, boutique-style hotel. I know I'm not going to have a gigantic lap pool and spacious gym, so I set my
expectations accordingly. The pool was plenty nice for my daughter, and I got a few workouts done at the gym.

My only complaint (if it can be even called that) was the lack of an upgrade. I'm sure I was probably only one of a handful of Plat Premiers staying there at
the time so it was disappointing to not get one. Not only that, but the FD clerk said she didn't have any suites available, but then proceeded to offer the next guy,
who was by himself, an upgrade to a Corner Suite for $20! WTH. I didn't say anything, being the nice guy that I am, but I was steaming inside.
It's possible that he was only there for a night, but nevertheless, saying one thing to me and doing otherwise to the next guy was infuriating.
And even though I was supposed to have it, she didn't code my keys properly to have access to the "Executive" level. Not a big deal though as
we didn't plan to go there anyway, as laughable as it is. Yet another PP disappointment to follow the loss of UA Mileage Plus Gold.

I think the location is excellent btw. I didn't care if the beach is a few blocks down (I have feet that work after all and enjoy walking around) and
Waikiki Beach was only a five to six minute stroll past Kalakaua Ave. The International Marketplace (kinda miss the old grungy one) is next door
with its high-end boutique shops, and you're surrounded by excellent dining options.

Our room was on the 12th floor, and had a good view of the ocean to the left side, and mountains to the right from the lanai. Noise was a little higher
on Friday and Saturday nights, but at least the room has decent sound insulation so we had no problems getting to sleep. Elevators during check-out
mornings were sometimes a longer wait, but not bad enough to make my eight-year old groan.

All in all, despite the lack of elite benefits, I would not hesitate to go back to this property.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.